Wikipedia defines Napa as a soft supple leather whereas "Nappa" is listed as fake/faux that looks like leather but not leather. The description on the Shop BlackBerry site describes the Priv leather pouch and flip case as both made of Genuine Nappa which is like saying genuine fake! What exactly is the case material of the Priv pouch or the flip case... is it real leather or not? This is important to me as the flip case for the Passport (also advertised by BlackBerry to be leather) was a dismal failure in plastic...

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 12:41 PM
    I have the Priv holster, which is also marked as "Genuine Nappa Leather". It's not plastic, but a very very soft leather.
    01-03-16 12:52 PM
    Nappa is real leather used by many high end retailers.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 01:23 PM
    Nappa is real leather used by many high end retailers.

Posted via CB10
    Evidently this is not true for "Nappa" according to Wikipedia... "Napa" on the other hand is in fact used for real leather used in high end products. First the plastic leather flip case for the Passport and now the confusing "genuine nappa leather" term lets me think that the BlackBerry accessories group needs to do a better job.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napa leather

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 01:33 PM
    Evidently this is not true for "Nappa" according to Wikipedia... "Napa" on the other hand is in fact used for real leather used in high end products. First the plastic leather flip case for the Passport and now the confusing "genuine nappa leather" term lets me think that the BlackBerry accessories group needs to do a better job.

Posted via CB10
    Napa leather in general is now just used for marketing.

Fake leather these days can be made that feels the exact same to the touch for 99.9% of consumers.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 02:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    I try to avoid Wikipedia as the final source on any subject matter.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    gwigle likes this.
    01-03-16 02:50 PM

I agree with you... nevertheless wish BlackBerry simply used a lesser ambiguous word in describing the leather (or not!) for their most expensive device.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by TheGraduate; 01-03-16 at 03:10 PM.
    01-03-16 02:58 PM
    I agree with you... nevertheless wish BlackBerry simply used a lesser ambiguous word in describing the leather for their most expensive device.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you too. The device price wasn't that big of a deal to me. But the accessory prices I find to be a bit excessive. I would feel better if they were make in NA or EU.

To be fair. BlackBerry is not the only company that ridiculously price their accessories.

01-03-16 03:12 PM
    Wikipedia defines Napa as a soft supple leather whereas "Nappa" is listed as fake/faux that looks like leather but not leather. The description on the Shop BlackBerry site describes the Priv leather pouch and flip case as both made of Genuine Nappa which is like saying genuine fake! What exactly is the case material of the Priv pouch or the flip case... is it real leather or not? This is important to me as the flip case for the Passport (also advertised by BlackBerry to be leather) was a dismal failure in plastic...

Posted via CB10

All About Nappa Leather
    TheGraduate likes this.
    01-03-16 03:21 PM
    Nappa leather*is the general term for particularly soft, chrome tanned smooth*leather*of all animal skin types and fields of use. A distinction is made between natural, slightly pigmented, pigmented and sanded*leather.Naturalnappa leather*is also known as aniline*leather.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    01-03-16 04:51 PM
    I want Corinthian leather, it's the finest leather you will ever touch.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-03-16 05:07 PM

The finest leather made in new jersey!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 05:26 PM

Yes we also need a commercial with someone like Ricardo Montalban promoting this fine Corinthian leather case.

qwerty4ever likes this.
    01-03-16 05:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    A more extensive search will indicate that Nappa and Napa are essentially the same. With Napa invented by a person from Napa, CA and patented the procedure to create it. Nappa appears to be a variant spelling to, in my guess, get around the patent, but it is still real leather that has been smoothed to show no leather texture or bumps.
    01-04-16 11:03 AM
    And next they'll say Corinthian leather is garbage

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 11:10 AM

Don't always believe what you read on Wikipedia as it may be incorrect. Nappa leather is not a "fake" leather.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    01-04-16 11:11 AM