I was dying to go back to a BlackBerry after seeing the Keyone come out, but couldn't afford the Keyone price tag, so I purchased a new factory unlocked Priv (Model STV100-2). Less then 3 months later I'm already having issues with the phone lagging and freezing. I love the phone, but this is such a disappointment. I came from using Samsungs for a few years and I usually got at least a year and a half out of them before the lagging and freezing started. I constantly clear my active apps as well. I don't run a lot of apps on my phone- Hub, Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, Texting, and Seesaw would be the most. Is there anything else I can try doing (with instructions on how to lol)? I've read disabling the Hub can help, which I am really not opposed to as I don't see much use for it anyways, but how would I access my Hotmail account then? Thanks for your help.
    10-17-17 02:38 PM
    What's the OS on it? Updating might help.

Also, keep in mind, this is a phone from 2015 with one of the worst mobile CPUs ever shipped.

And as for email, you can use any email app you want, you aren't roped into using the Hub.
    Turtle04 likes this.
    10-17-17 02:46 PM

Also, keep in mind, this is a phone from 2015 with one of the worst mobile CPUs ever shipped.

And as for email, you can use any email app you want, you aren't roped into using the Hub.
    It says Android Version 6.0.1

I wasn't sure about how to access Hotmail because on the Samsungs I owned they automatically came with the "email exchange" app
    10-17-17 03:24 PM

I wasn't sure about how to access Hotmail because on the Samsungs I owned they automatically came with the "email exchange" app
    10-17-17 03:24 PM

The build, specifically: Settings > About phone > Build number. The latest is AAO474 for that model I think.

Have you tried just setting up Hotmail in, say, GMail? It should work with Exchange automatically now. I use Aquamail, personally, and that doesn't need anything extra to set up Hotmail either. There's Outlook, Nine, K9 Mail, all sorts of email apps available. All you might need is an app password.
    1122334455667788 and Turtle04 like this.
    10-17-17 03:34 PM
    I was dying to go back to a BlackBerry after seeing the Keyone come out, but couldn't afford the Keyone price tag, so I purchased a new factory unlocked Priv (Model STV100-2). Less then 3 months later I'm already having issues with the phone lagging and freezing. I love the phone, but this is such a disappointment. I came from using Samsungs for a few years and I usually got at least a year and a half out of them before the lagging and freezing started. I constantly clear my active apps as well. I don't run a lot of apps on my phone- Hub, Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, Texting, and Seesaw would be the most. Is there anything else I can try doing (with instructions on how to lol)? I've read disabling the Hub can help, which I am really not opposed to as I don't see much use for it anyways, but how would I access my Hotmail account then? Thanks for your help.
    Facebook is one of the worst hogs. I actually use Chrome with m.facebook.com as the home screen.

Clear your cache (app cache).

There are numerous threads about optimizing display settings, etc.
    Turtle04 likes this.
    10-17-17 04:24 PM
    Facebook, Instagram and Messenger are resource hogs, but before trying other things, disable BlackBerry Hub and services, install Nova or other light launcher and use alternative software to BlackBerry apps. That helped me a lot in the past.
    Wezard and Turtle04 like this.
    10-18-17 12:24 AM
    I'm trying to respond to thurask but am getting the "exceeds spam threshold" error message.

Build number is AAO484

I will try adding my Hotmail to my GMail app if I decide to disable the Hub.. Thanks
    10-18-17 08:39 AM
    I'm trying to respond to thurask but am getting the "exceeds spam threshold" error message.

Build number is AAO484

I will try adding my Hotmail to my GMail app if I decide to disable the Hub.. Thanks
    10-18-17 08:39 AM
    If you don't want to delete Facebook, you may want to restrict background data for it. that alone helps speed things up. I have restricted background data for everything that doesn't truly need it. after running FB with no notifications, and restricting background data, I finally deleted it recently. it began to consume way too much data after a recent update. as someone else stated, I too am using a link to the mobile FB site. The app just got progressively worse.

you may also want to try Messenger Lite, it takes a lot fewer resources that the regular Messenger.
    Turtle04 likes this.
    10-18-17 09:22 AM
    FaceBook all by its-self is enough to drag the Priv down. I use Friendly, a third party FB client, does what I want it to do when I want to do it, not when FB decides it wants to. Really nice dark theme too, dark themes on AMOLED's are nice battery savers.
    Couple things that will make a big difference are
    1- enable 'developer options' and set all 3 animation levels to 0.5
    2- Every week or 2, clear your cache and then do a 32 second power button reset.
    3- Disable bluetooth and wifi scanning,
    4- Disable background cellular data for any apps that don't need to log onto the network and 'do stuff' when closed and not being used. That will be most of them.
    5- Set auto brightness by turning it off, adjust to where you like it in your most common lighting scenario, then turn it back on. It's not great, but it does work. If you find yourself adjusting brightness a lot, install Velis Auto Brightness, it works really well.
    Turtle04 likes this.
    10-19-17 04:35 AM
    Unfortunatly this is a big issue with the Pirv. others say its android and/or the apps you run but I can run the same apps (facebook, etc) on a 4-5 year old phone and it handles it fine where the priv stumbles.
    unfortunatly my son got hold of my priv while I was switching back to my old phone and now I have a cracked screen so i have a $400 paperweight.
    Turtle04 likes this.
    10-19-17 08:19 AM
    They completely FAILED with the PRIV...

Mine started to have problems after 2 months, slower and slower, the battery lasted ~6 hours of use (for work mainly), the battery charger charged the phone 1 times / 10 (I had to unplug->plug a several times to make it charge, awful), and I got bored about sliding to use the keyboard, the screen is -for me- uselessly big.

The best thing to solve my PRIV's problems ? Buying a Keyone.

Even if it costs some money, it worth it for a daily use, whether it is for work or entertaining.
    JWW likes this.
    10-21-17 03:41 AM
    They completely FAILED with the PRIV...

Mine started to have problems after 2 months, slower and slower, the battery lasted ~6 hours of use (for work mainly), the battery charger charged the phone 1 times / 10 (I had to unplug->plug a several times to make it charge, awful), and I got bored about sliding to use the keyboard, the screen is -for me- uselessly big.

The best thing to solve my PRIV's problems ? Buying a Keyone.

Even if it costs some money, it worth it for a daily use, whether it is for work or entertaining.
    10-21-17 03:41 AM
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up disabling the Hub and uninstalling the Facebook app. I restarted the phone and all seems well so far. Lowered the memory usage and the battery life has improved as well.
    glwerry and mrdeeds_72 like this.
    10-23-17 12:38 PM
    I've never turned off or disabled HUB, use it all the time. Face Book did cause a lot of problems, severity of which depended on exactly which version. Every time it updated the problems and severity would change, not to mention that FB is one the very few apps that would change my settings when updating. I finally dumped it and went to Friendly, no problems since then, Battery life is pretty good, (not great, but easily lasts a day and a half, 3 to 5 hours SOT). The keyboard is not as good as the K1, but it's perfectly usable. I for one am not willing to give up my big beautiful screen for the much smaller, lower resolution, and odd ratio screen on the K1.

It's really odd that so many of us have no issues or problems at all with the Priv, but so many others have such big, ongoing issues. It seems that those with factory versions are happier than those with carrier versions. I have no numbers to back that up, just a general take from reading and participating in this forum for 2 years.
    10-24-17 07:20 AM
    have had my new Priv since May of this year and love it! No issues with lag or battery. Would absolutely be first in line if BlackBerry Mobil put together a PRIV II with new upgrade and the same fantastic screen. not ready to give up my screen size or cash for KEYONE just yet 😎
    10-24-17 08:36 PM
    I've never turned off or disabled HUB, use it all the time. Face Book did cause a lot of problems, severity of which depended on exactly which version. Every time it updated the problems and severity would change, not to mention that FB is one the very few apps that would change my settings when updating. I finally dumped it and went to Friendly, no problems since then, Battery life is pretty good, (not great, but easily lasts a day and a half, 3 to 5 hours SOT). The keyboard is not as good as the K1, but it's perfectly usable. I for one am not willing to give up my big beautiful screen for the much smaller, lower resolution, and odd ratio screen on the K1.

It's really odd that so many of us have no issues or problems at all with the Priv, but so many others have such big, ongoing issues. It seems that those with factory versions are happier than those with carrier versions. I have no numbers to back that up, just a general take from reading and participating in this forum for 2 years.
    I am not sure the issue is carrier vs factory device. I think you will find the difference is in how people use their device and how they set up and use certain apps. There are so many variables to consider when looking at performance including signal strength, hardwares software app corruption and personal usage habits. Sometimes it is user related, sometimes it is phone related. Sometimes the problem is expectation/perception. Sometimes it is reality.
    10-25-17 06:40 AM
    I am not sure the issue is carrier vs factory device.
    I'm not sure either, but have had that impression for a while now. It's obviously not 100%, or even black / white. Which is why I included the disclaimer.
    10-25-17 07:51 PM