My first Priv was received yesterday. Going back due to poor build quality. Squeaky back plate that creaks and cracks when it's picked up, and used with one or 2 hands. Keypad also doesn't keep up with my text input and misses out letter resulting in lots of spelling mistakes. I still like the device though, so got a second one delivered today.

I've spent the last 5-6 hours setting it all up and getting to grips with it all over again. Thankfully it didn't take as long to set up as my previous model did as it would seem that Android remembers your previous device and when it was last used and restores it all for you, a feature which I found pretty neat.

So build quality then. Well, it's very similar. It definitely is a little more secure around the bottom of the phone (the area I hold the phone the most) but it still feels a little creaky and clicky towards the top to middle of the unit. However, I don't recognise this as much purely because I don't really hold the phone there...

It's definitely a lot more usable now anyway. I can pick it up and not experience the creak of the previous model just from putting it in one hand.

I'm now all set up. I think my major concern with the previous model was the fact the keypad didn't keep up with my typing, and sadly, this model is exactly the same. Whist the keypad feels better on this model and is a little more clicky which I like, I don't think I'm going to be able to get past this. It's the sole seeing point of the device and although it works, it doesn't work well enough. I'm typing this review on it now. And whilst I'm not making any spelling mistakes (which I would have done had I used my ipad or iPhone), im having to retype stuff due to missing letters. Words like then are the worst as the phone thinks youve just wrote 'the' when the N is missed. Missed just changed to mixed as only 'mised' registered from my typing which is another example. I've tried slowing down, I've tried pressing harder on each key as I type in case it's the keypad keys that are just not bedded in yet but I'm afraid it just isn't quick enough and I don't know if that's something that can or wil be rectified. It's like when I type the same letter 10 times in quick succession. Only 6 register. On my Classic, at the same succession speed, all 10 letters come out. This is going to be the deciding factor for me.

Elsewhere then, well the screen is gorgeous. It is lovely, bright, crisp, vibrant and colours are displayed really well.
    Apps look great, particularly apps like Instagram which benefit greatly from the bigger screen.
    Compared to my 6S, I could look at this screen all day.

Camera. Well it's OK. It's not up there with the iPhone for quick snaps but from my experience not an awful lot is. When you're in good light though, it is very respectable and more than adequate for a phone camera. Standard BlackBerry camera shutter in the sense that there's a delay between pressing the camera button and the image being taken which is annoying, but I can get over that.

*ended up moving to iPad for remainder, typing on the keypad is just now unbearable. It's a lovely keypad too and I can type quickly on it already but I just can't deal.

Haven't managed to test video quality yet but I will do so and report back.

Battery. Well from the 2 devices I've had I can see that it's a decent battery. It's definitely going to last the day which is all you can hope for with a mobile phone these days. If you want anymore than that then you need to get yourself a 3210!
    The phone did run hot when updating and setting up, but as soon as that was all done I had no heating issues at all (on both devices) and I've had no slow down either. Obviously, over time I could get these issues as you do with most phones, but so far it performed excellently when put under some strenuous tasks like having multiple windows open, music playing, taking photos, and browsing websites. All with ease, and for quite an extended period of time, which I'd expect for a flagship.

I'm coming from an iPhone 6S and my experience with Android is fairly limited save for the Galaxy Alpha model I had earlier in he year, also a Sony Z3 Compact which I hated.

But that wasn't because of Android.
    The Priv then, was a new adventure OS wise. I like a new OS from time to time because it's great to keep a hand in with what others are doing. I think all OS' have their plus and minus points and it annoys me when you get people slagging one off because they favour another. But I digress.
    Ive been enjoyingAndroid for a number of reasons. But at the same time I'm also getting a bit annoyed with certain things, and that could largely be due to my lack of experience on the platform.
    Things I don't like are it can look ugly. Like really ugly. Apps that automatically download onto your home screen. Why? It's messy. On my Alpha, I'm pretty sure I turned that off but with the Priv I can't find the option. Am sure it's there somewhere.
    Also, the App tray / drawer. Why can't I customise this to order the apps how I want them? It's great they give a number of viewing modes including alphabetical and most used, but I'd rather just do it myself. Couldn't see an option for this which was a bit annoying.

Widgets. They work well and I like them. But then I downloaded a weather one earlier and opened it up to be told I had to download another one to get these widgets? Very strange.

Notifications. DROVE. ME. INSANE.
    I like a good notification. I wish iOS did it better. But my god. Android tells me EVERYTHING. I don't need it. And I couldn't see any way to turn these off without (according to Google), some rooting? Well I don't have the desire to do any of that with my phone. But I also do not want a lollipop notification evrrytime I plug my headphones in. It's just annoying.
    Forgive me for ranting and going on here because as I've said, I'm very inexperienced with Android so you guys might be reading thinking, '*****, there's a way to do this in the settings!' But I've looked and googled and couldn't see a way.

How apps look. The actual apps themselves have a nice design and look fine. But the third party apps alongside the lollipop and blackberry ones just all looks a mess. Some are square. Some are bigger, some are small, some are circle. They look messy. What I like about iOS is the apps all look uniform. It just creates a much nicer aesthetic. My opinion of course.
    I tried a few icon packs but couldn't find one I liked enough. Will keep searching though.

The Dtek app BlackBerry have included with the Priv is pretty good. The information it displays is useful, though often alarming. Last night, on my 6 hour old device, I found out that Facebook had accessed my information over 500 times. I'd opened the app once. Troubling information!
    However. As good as it is I don't need a notification every hour. Which is what I'm getting. Evrrytime I download an app I get a Dtek notification. And guess what? They cannot be turned off. More notifications!

The typical BB notification light is there which I love! One of my favourite BB features.
    But another downside. Only email can be customised with the colour. No other apps can have their notification light colour changed unless you download an app to do so. And this is where my issue with Android lies. They take the old Apple saying of 'there's an app for that' and they take it to complete extremes. There really is an app or a way to do everything and anything you want but I like my phone to not need a hell of a lot of tweaking to get it where I need it to be. But at the same time, I pick my iPhone up now and feel bored. There's an example of a phone with no customisation outside of how your apps are ordered and your wallpaper. Using Android has now left me wishing Apple would give you a bit more control.

What did I like about Android then? Well I loved Google Play Music. Pretty good app. I signed up for a 3 month free trial and enjoyed what I used. It worked very well and is definitely up there with Apple Music in terms of use ability for me.
    I LOVED 'OK google'. Yeah, Siri and Cortana are great too, but I just loved how it worked when my phone was on the coffee table away from me and I could hear her speaking he answer to me. Very good!

Notifications. Well I've just moaned about them ha. But I also love Android notifications at the same time.
    The blackberry hub is a shadow of its BB10 self, but that doesn't concern me as I know it will get to where it needs to be.
    Notifications, when read in the hub for Twitter, Facebook etc clear out of your hub but don't clear on the app. So it means you need to clear from both, which is a huge backwards step.
    That aside, and pointless notifications aside, I like how I'm notified with Android and how they can all be cleared with one touch. It's well laid out, easily read and the icons for notifications also look great.

I've laid my home screen out I'm a minimal way and I like how I can basically do what I want with it. I have a music player widget on screen 2 along with a Google bar and it looks really good. Big album artwork on display and the other screen is minimal and simplistic.

The 'edge' battery power indicator is extremely cool and I love that addition.
    Do wish BB had moved away from their standard charger of mini USB to USB C though. But that's irrelevant.

So there we have it. I think I've made my decision on the phone and it will be going back.
    Sadly, the keypad is the final nail in the coffin if it can't keep up. If and when a software update is issued (I'm guessing it's a software problem) that solves the problem, then I will definitely revisit.
    Until then, it's a no. It's such a shame because I wanted to love this device and I honestly thought I would. Sadly it's just fallen short of where it needs to be. I could use Android no problem, though it has its shortcomings, but they're no where near bad enough to stop me enjoying the platform. It's still extremely solid and a great user experience.

I have gone on and on and I apologise! But I guess I had a lot to get off my chest!

TL;DR here are my pros and cons:

+ Great looking phone
    + Wonderful screen
    + Nice front speaker (didn't touch on this above, but it's a highlight for me)
    + Best BB camera yet
    + BB and Android works

- PKB doesn't keep up with typing
    - Flimsy back panel is creaky and clicky
    - Camera can be slow in low light
    - Too many notifications
    - BB Hub needs a lot of work

Argh. I'm so disappointed. I wanted to love it so much! And I do like it a lot. But the keypad is the crippling issue for someone like me, who has bought this phone predominantly for that wonderful physical type experience. It just isn't there for me on this phone.
    Thanks for reading y'all.
    11-10-15 12:44 PM
    you must be clean out yo mind posting a review that people dont want to agree with.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO SOUP FOR YOU GET OUT OF THE LINE !!!!!!!!
    11-10-15 01:14 PM
    Nice review.

Too bad the keyboard didn't work out for you... Haven't heard anyone else reporting keyboard problems like this though so either you type extremely fast or it's bad luck to have two defected devices sent your way in a row.
    Aneres11 likes this.
    11-10-15 01:34 PM
    This is a very well written piece. Pretty much everything that you bring up is on point. I too found that the keyboard could not keep up, and I only got to use the device for about 15-20 minutes in store. It was pretty easy to type on, albeit cramped, but it did not perform like a BlackBerry keyboard should. I suspect updates will resolve most of the BlackBerry issues. Sadly, Android itself can't be fixed and that will forever remain an issue. Luckily, that issue is not a complete deal breaker.

I too am holding off for now.

@aha - You actually don't have to type that fast to see it miss letters. It happened to me as well. I would say maybe I was typing at around 40-50WPM. I am not sure why the issue occurs, but it does occur.
    Aneres11 likes this.
    11-10-15 01:51 PM
    This is a very well written piece. Pretty much everything that you bring up is on point. I too found that the keyboard could not keep up, and I only got to use the device for about 15-20 minutes in store. It was pretty easy to type on, albeit cramped, but it did not perform like a BlackBerry keyboard should. I suspect updates will resolve most of the BlackBerry issues. Sadly, Android itself can't be fixed and that will forever remain an issue. Luckily, that issue is not a complete deal breaker.

I too am holding off for now.

@aha - You actually don't have to type that fast to see it miss letters. It happened to me as well. I would say maybe I was typing at around 40-50WPM. I am not sure why the issue occurs, but it does occur.
    Thank you that means a lot!

And you're right, you don't need to type fast at all for the keypad not to register. It's the deal breaker for me unfortunately.
    That aside it would have been a keeper for sure.

I wonder if it is a software issue and can be rectified with a patch / update?
    11-10-15 02:01 PM
    Thank you that means a lot!

And you're right, you don't need to type fast at all for the keypad not to register. It's the deal breaker for me unfortunately.
    That aside it would have been a keeper for sure.

I wonder if it is a software issue and can be rectified with a patch / update?
    I'm pretty sure it is a software issue. The thing that will make or break this phone is how fast BlackBerry can address these.
    11-10-15 02:04 PM
    Thank you for your informative review, OP.
    Hopefully, you will be able to use the device soon at its full potential, and with much pleasure.
    Also, very nice choice of handsets you have there. Congrats.
    Aneres11 and Mr4aces like this.
    11-10-15 02:12 PM
    50wpm? Assuming 8 characters per word, that's about 150 ms per keystroke. That's in ages for embedded code. The keyboard should definitely be able to keep up.

If it's not a hardware problem, it shouldn't be too hard to fix it with a software patch.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-10-15 02:18 PM
    Oh, they have over compensated for the double typing issue on BB10 phones.

11-10-15 02:20 PM

Ahahahahahaha This made me truly laugh! They should prompt you if you want to insert each keystroke. A box should pop up each time with a "Yes" and "No" options.
    11-10-15 02:32 PM
    Ha maybe the did over compensate for double typing! At this point I'd take double typing over the missing out of letters!
    11-10-15 02:56 PM
    Has to be a defect my keyboard works perfect as good as any blackberry keyboard. People are returning phones before they have a chance to get use to them.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Steepside likes this.
    11-10-15 02:59 PM
    Has to be a defect my keyboard works perfect as good as any blackberry keyboard. People are returning phones before they have a chance to get use to them.

Whilst I agree that some people are not giving Android a fair go and returning to soon, I don't think hats the case with me. Whether or not you were implying that I don't know, giving the phone an extra week isn't going to speed up the software or stop the keypad being defective.

If it weren't for the keypad I'd be keeping this phone no question. But when it can't type 10 letters in a row when pressed then you know it's a problem. And both of the devices I have are the same.
    It's a problem unfortunately.
    11-10-15 03:33 PM
    Give it a week bro,my keypad acted the same way but after a few days it started working flawless,I think because of it settling!oh and make sure u manually update all blackberry apps in Google play!this phone gets better after it settles.

Quorist likes this.
    11-10-15 03:45 PM
    OP, this is hands down the best review of the Priv I've seen to date - it's balanced and honest, doesn't shy away from the problems, and is from someone who clearly has experience with other devices so isn't wowed by all of the newness of Android. Great job, and really helpful, thanks.
    Aneres11 likes this.
    11-10-15 03:49 PM
    Give it a week bro,my keypad acted the same way but after a few days it started working flawless,I think because of it settling!oh and make sure u manually update all blackberry apps in Google play!this phone gets better after it settles.

Really? Seems strange that it would suddenly speed up. So if you open a blank email and type 10 D's, say, in a row quickly? It types all 10?

I will certainly give it time but I just can't see it improving. Also, all BB apps were update straight away when I got it out he box. Rebooted too. Did everything that was suggested on these forums.
    I've even played around with keypad settings. Turning off he auto predict, the word selection, the keypad gestures, errrrrything. But still a lag.
    11-10-15 03:49 PM
    OP, this is hands down the best review of the Priv I've seen to date - it's balanced and honest, doesn't shy away from the problems, and is from someone who clearly has experience with other devices so isn't wowed by all of the newness of Android. Great job, and really helpful, thanks.
    Wow thank you! That's real nice of you to say!
    It is my dream to be a reviewer ha. Having said that, my spelling mistakes and grammar is horrendous, but as it was on my iPad and half on Priv keypad, I just gave up haha.

But thanks again I'm glad you found it useful!
    11-10-15 03:51 PM
    Wow thank you! That's real nice of you to say!
    my spelling mistakes and grammar is horrendous
    agreed
    11-10-15 04:47 PM
    agreed
    Suppose it's bound to happen on an iPad when that much text is written. What was your excuse?
    11-10-15 04:51 PM
    Really? Seems strange that it would suddenly speed up. So if you open a blank email and type 10 D's, say, in a row quickly? It types all 10?

I will certainly give it time but I just can't see it improving. Also, all BB apps were update straight away when I got it out he box. Rebooted too. Did everything that was suggested on these forums.
    I've even played around with keypad that settings. Turning off he auto predict, the word selection, the keypad gestures, errrrrything. But still a lag.
    Yeah I can type 10 ddddddddddd lol and more with no issues, I forgot to mention that after reading another reviewers thread I took his advice and wiped my phone back to out of box status and when it booted up for first time I let it sit for about 15 minutes or so then I went about setting it up,after I got through the setup process I updated all blackberry apps first then updated all Google play apps then rebooted phone and set up accounts etc...I know seems redundant but like I said it just seems to be running buttery smooth!

11-10-15 07:52 PM

This guy isn't joking.
    11-10-15 07:58 PM
    This guy isn't joking.
    This guy knows what he is talking about.

11-10-15 09:06 PM
    You're supposed to add your post to the big thread about returning the Priv so next to nobody will ever be able to see it.
    11-10-15 09:15 PM
    When someone say he prefers making typo mistake and being limited to i-diot fan club phone than it says much about the credibility
    11-10-15 09:34 PM
    Wow OP. Have to echo some of the other comments here. Just an outstanding, thorough and honest review! Thanks for taking the time for doing that!!!! If some with the Priv (like tmoore3496) don't have the keyboard issue, that's probably not a great sign because it likely means it's a hardware, and not a software issue.
    Aneres11 likes this.
    11-10-15 09:39 PM
31 12