I demo'd the BB Priv today at my local AT&T store, my initial impression is
    I believe through the Priv, BB is taking progressive strides offering the majority
    of the BB faithful a modern experience with smartphone solutions
    and capabilities. At this time I won't be endorsing the Priv for a few reasons
    that may be proprietary to my daily experience.

My largest gripe with the Priv is that it's a blend of BB10/Android and the functions of the interface is quite busy. One of the wonderful functions of BB10 is it's unique from an Android OS.At the moment using both a Note 6/S6 Edge my initial thought is the Priv is nowhere as refined as these two android devices and rightfully so as the Priv is in it's break in period. However, I believe if your interested in an android phone there are a multitude of options that I would consider supreme to the Priv.

Now as a former BB Passport user I enjoyed everything the device stood for and in all honestly, yes you sacrifice the social capabilities with a BB10 platform but you know what you're getting in that OS. The Priv not so much, BB was in a tough spot trying to cater to those looking for app friendliness as well as keeping the phone a BB at heart and I don't think they've quite found the balance. Personally I'll be repurchasing a Passport and I'll keep my S6 Edge for a "Full" android experience.

With that said the full retail price of the Priv competes with the likes of the I phone 6/6s and Note5/S6 all of which you could get with 64GB or more, and for the non BB faithful that's far too much to risk for a company that is experimenting with a new cross platform.
    Last edited by nicky_willz; 11-14-15 at 10:14 AM.
    11-13-15 05:10 PM
    Yeah you could get iPhone or note or whatever,but I'm sticking with the Priv!!!!! Why,?because I can but thanks for the cool story bro,lol....

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    dave gomez likes this.
    11-13-15 05:47 PM
    You said - you'd stick with Samsung for full Android experience. Can you please explain what does that mean?

BlackBerry Priv is not full Android? How is that possible?! Can anyone confirm BlackBerry Priv is not full Android?

I thought BlackBerry Priv was full Android. In fact, it was closer to stock Google Android with following additions -
    1. Hardware keyboard
    2. Security features
    3. BlackBerry launcher/skin
    4. Some preloaded BlackBerry app.

All those were additions, not subtractions. Why is OP saying this is not full Android? Have I missed anything?

Doesn't Samsung also use their own skin (touchwiz?) so how is Samsung not full Android?

Posted via CB10
    ce71, morganplus8 and howieb2001 like this.
    11-13-15 05:51 PM
    I hate my galaxy s6. The Priv is everything I want in a smart phone except Marshmallow but who knows, by the time my pre-order ships, it might have it!

11-13-15 05:53 PM
    You said - you'd stick with Samsung for full Android experience. Can you please explain what does that mean?

BlackBerry Priv is not full Android? How is that possible?! Can anyone confirm BlackBerry Priv is not full Android?

I thought BlackBerry Priv was full Android. In fact, it was closer to stock Google Android with following additions -
    1. Hardware keyboard
    2. Security features

All those were additions, not subtractions. Why is OP saying this is not full Android? Have I missed anything?

Doesn't Samsung also use their own skin (touchwiz?) so how is Samsung not full Android?

Posted via CB10
    You are correct! The Priv IS closer to full android than Samsung

Edit: except for number one since core android was built with hardware keyboards in mind originally.

11-13-15 05:55 PM

1. Hardware keyboard
    2. Security features

Posted via CB10

IMO what's known and considered android is a smoother experience on other devices
    like the offerings from Samsung and possibly an G4.

What I was referring to as being "full android" was the fact that the Priv incorporates some BB/BB10 exclusivity like the HUB. However the HUB on the Priv is somewhat gimmicky/knock off compared to the HUB on BB10. The HUB is more fluid on BB10, I would rather use a Passport if I want the BB experience.

Many BB faithful felt the Priv wouldn't be a pure BB experience and imo there's some validity to it,it's not a bad device I just believe if you want the android/google experience there's better options not only for the money but also for the experience.
    11-13-15 07:37 PM
    IMO what's known and considered android is a smoother experience on other devices

What I was referring to as being "full android" was the fact that the Priv incorporates some BB/BB10 exclusivity like the HUB. However the HUB on the Priv is somewhat gimmicky/knock off compared to the HUB on BB10. The HUB is more fluid on BB10, I would rather use a Passport if I want the BB experience.

Many BB faithful felt the Priv wouldn't be a pure BB experience and imo there's some validity to it,it's not a bad device I just believe if you want the android/google experience there's better options not only for the money but also for the experience.
    So another BlackBerry 10 loyalist guy )truth comes out).
    Guess what? BB10 is no longer being developed just supported so get used to the new Blackberry way. This Priv Android is so much more productive than any other Android device and IPhone for that matter.
    Live the Priv. From ex Z10, Q10, iPhone6 and Z30 user. Best most productive all in one phone i have ever used.

Posted from my Priv!
    11-13-15 08:12 PM
    So another BlackBerry 10 loyalist guy )truth comes out).
    Guess what? BB10 is no longer being developed just supported so get used to the new Blackberry way. This Priv Android is so much more productive than any other Android device and IPhone for that matter.
    Live the Priv. From ex Z10, Q10, iPhone6 and Z30 user. Best most productive all in one phone i have ever used.

Posted from my Priv!
    Passport was only BB i ever owned,3,months at that,you call that loyal?
    Considering you've primarily used BB devices wouldn't you be considered
    a loyalist? But then again you went from BB to Apple? Not sure what to call you
    but you get the point.....
    11-13-15 08:17 PM

The Hub is an app. Nobody is forcing you to use it.
    11-13-15 08:20 PM
    The Hub is an app. Nobody is forcing you to use it.

HUB is useful,however the BB10 and Priv version are different and it's more complicated on the Priv. If you removed the HUB from the Priv the only point of owning a Priv is for a PKB which isn't a deal breaker, or just to say you own one. If you removed it from a BB,well that device would be almost useless,its the main harness for notifications,why remove it?
    11-13-15 08:29 PM
    no harm in sharing your impression or experience, but the Priv is unique in its own way and it's a nice looking device. different people have different tastes.
    nicky_willz and qwerty4ever like this.
    11-13-15 09:07 PM

HUB is useful,however the BB10 and Priv version are different and it's more complicated on the Priv. If you removed the HUB from the Priv the only point of owning a Priv is for a PKB which isn't a deal breaker, or just to say you own one. If you removed it from a BB,well that device would be almost useless,its the main harness for notifications,why remove it?
    You know there's a notification drop down at the top of an android phone to 'peek' at and access all notifications right? Honestly, you're being a little dramatic and millions of people have functioned just fine on their useless phones without hub for quite a while now., The hub kinda seems like a redundant feature on an android anyway really. Yeah I know, the implementation is different on BB10 but does not having it really disturb your ability to function that much?

11-13-15 09:38 PM

Future updates to the operating system will improve the various elements of the BlackBerry Experience Suite. None of the operating systems from BlackBerry have ever been perfect out of the gate. Yes, I am eager to get BlackBerry Hub to the same intuitive flow as we have with BlackBerry OS 10.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-13-15 09:47 PM
    You know there's a notification drop down at the top of an android phone to 'peek' at and access all notifications right? Honestly, you're being a little dramatic and millions of people have functioned just fine on their useless phones without hub for quite a while now., The hub kinda seems like a redundant feature on an android anyway really. Yeah I know, the implementation is different on BB10 but does not having it really disturb your ability to function that much?

I wouldn't call myself dramatic,only bcuz idgaf in all actuality,just expressing my impression on the priv. Not looking to sway anyone's decision.
    11-13-15 11:46 PM
    I wouldn't call myself dramatic,only bcuz idgaf in all actuality,just expressing my impression on the priv. Not looking to sway anyone's decision.
    I do understand that it's the little things that make a good phone experience. Personally, I've been fine with the notification layout on android and it's been the phones I've bought that started missing the little things. I can't tell you how stoked I am to have a decent customizable color notification light again. BlackBerry does make good hardware

Psi Wong likes this.
    11-14-15 06:26 AM
    I'm not sure how anyone can provide solid insight by only spending a few minutes in their local carrier store, playing with a device

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android cause I'm a Prividiot
    11-14-15 06:37 AM
    I'm not sure how anyone can provide solid insight by only spending a few minutes in their local carrier store, playing with a device

First impressions are the most important.

11-14-15 06:40 AM
    Another I played with a demo in store so I'm qualified to give a review thread. Use the device for a week and then come back and tells us what you think. The device may surprise you.

powereds and Carjackd like this.
    11-14-15 06:51 AM
    LMBO the OP is only giving "his" opinion on the device, this thread is acting as if he committed a crime. Great post OP, thanks for sharing, this board is full of those pro and against the new phone. I believe everyone should be entitled to their opinion, like the many on this thread who disagree with yours.

"Posted from the Beast PP"
    nicky_willz likes this.
    11-14-15 06:59 AM
    LMBO the OP is only giving "his"
    "Posted from the Beast PP"
    ...and I think everyone else was just giving 'theirs'. No crime just an opinion to the contrary which isn't surprising considering this is a BB fan site.

11-14-15 07:22 AM

Your personal deficiencies don't speak for me.
    11-14-15 10:06 AM
    First impressions are the most important.

Exactly...I read the Op and my first impression is ..."great another person who played with a demo review".

ConstantinoMorelli likes this.
    11-14-15 02:27 PM
    I tired it out at Rogers today. Didn't play with the OS much because it's Android. But I was really surprised how nice it felt.

It will slide by thumbing the screen but it didn't feel loose. I was surprise how thin it was. It felt nicely balanced. People have been hitching about the pkb being too small. I currently use a Passport so I'm use the this massive pkb. But found the Privs kb to be ok and something I'd probably get use to easily after a week or two.

Let's hope they come out with a BB10 version.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 02:38 PM
    Samsung devices arent FULL android , its modified android , the true bone stock devices are nexus(es).
    11-14-15 02:40 PM
    Why do you write all your messages in italic?
    Do you want to portray yourself as a poet and/or want to be perceived like one or something?
    11-14-15 02:40 PM
37 12