It's just this ironic thing that BB apps run better on non-BB phones, I mean the most powerful BB out there is the KEY2, running the three year old SD660 (though still doing okay).
    It's weird because I was running the Hub suite on an Amazon Fire HD8 tablet 2018 model. It ran decent enough on it. No overall slowdowns.

This is a device running a 6 year old Mediatek CPU, and only has 1.5 Gb of ram.

I recently removed the Hub from the tablet because Cobalt's BlackBerry Manager could no longer connect to Google Play (same issue I had on my phone) and I couldn't get the recent updates. I tried Outlook which Amazon offers in their own store (I do have Google Play sideloaded, but still get apps from Amazon if they are available and get regular updates - and there are some that still do in that store). But, geez, Outlook is a dog on this tablet. It doesn't even stay awake to send notifications of emails. The Hub Inbox never had that problem.

Now that I'm using the Hub straight from Google Play, I'm going to put it back on my tablet from there.
    06-10-21 09:54 AM
    There’s a lot of things I can do to make Android device “usable” but why should I when I bought the device to use as intended? The selling point, BBAndroid, is why I bought the device. I enjoyed BBOS and wanted that paired with Android ecosystem. The DTEK lineup was a nice improvement.
    I find that ALL andoids require modification. Pretty much you can MAKE and Android do what you want. But always you HAVE to make an android do what you want. If you spent a couple days setting up and debugging, they will do what you want and potentially how you want it. That is the main reason I hate apple stuff - you need to use it their way, period.

As for modifying the phone to make it more efficient, that just seems to make sense. You can use it one way - it does x, y and z but does other things more slowly. Or you can find another way to do x, y and z and everything else more quickly. There are many options to get where you want to go.

I prefer HUB. I can see why others choose different mail platforms - but to each their own.
    06-10-21 10:33 AM
    In 2021, the PRIV sucks, even more than any similar 2015 spec’d phones. It was BlackBerry Limited first Android device, 5-7 years after the Android OEM space had tremendously matured. I have a FU PRIV that is practically a factory reset device except for CB app like FU Passport SE also with just CB10 app. The PRIV is far slower than anything on my coffee table. Not really a daily capable device. The Passport is faster than PRIV for email, talking and texting. The Android ecosystem is further wasted on the PRIV for most tasks.
    Obviously YOU are not using a PRIV in 2021. I tried running my Passport SE in 2021 and no way...just first of all can't install any of the apps I need while on my PRIV they work perfectly. Now with BlackBerry announced EOL 10OS the Passport RIP basically. While the PRIV just keeps going...all my apps updated via Playstore. Yes I use HUB suite and fine. No issues.
    saint300 likes this.
    06-11-21 02:02 PM
    Obviously YOU are not using a PRIV in 2021. I tried running my Passport SE in 2021 and no way...just first of all can't install any of the apps I need while on my PRIV they work perfectly. Now with BlackBerry announced EOL 10OS the Passport RIP basically. While the PRIV just keeps going...all my apps updated via Playstore. Yes I use HUB suite and fine. No issues.
    I’ve attempted using a FU PRIV that has been factory reset. It’s only used on WiFi SIM-less and is slow-motion lagging. It’s to be expected….
    06-11-21 02:29 PM
    I’ve attempted using a FU PRIV that has been factory reset. It’s only used on WiFi SIM-less and is slow-motion lagging. It’s to be expected….
    Really? So a PRIV an Android with Marshmallow can't load apps from Playstore? And a Passport ( which I love and have) can load apps with no issues with Android 4.3? Very very very limited and you know it.

Please let's make sense here. What is expected and is a reality Passport struggles totally to almost a paper weight...yes Wifi SIM-less no other option and soon even worse.

Let's be realistic.
    06-11-21 03:41 PM
    Really? So a PRIV an Android with Marshmallow can't load apps from Playstore? And a Passport ( which I love and have) can load apps with no issues with Android 4.3? Very very very limited and you know it.

Please let's make sense here. What is expected and is a reality Passport struggles totally to almost a paper weight...yes Wifi SIM-less no other option and soon even worse.

Let's be realistic.
    Read what I’ve posted. I didn’t load apks on the Passport SE and haven’t for years on my other BB10 devices after I put them away. My original AT&T PRIV replaced my AT&T Passport as one primary device in 2015-2016 or so. I can load apps from GPS but didn’t since I don’t need them for a coffee table device. The only exception on each device is CrackBerry native app on each.

Regardless, each device has factory installed apps. The Passport runs quicker and is OK for all it’s 2013-2015 BB10 limitations. The PRIV takes forever to do anything with it’s 2014-2016 limitations. Some of it's biggest issues are because of it’s dated BBAndroid which is one year behind it’s competition from back then. The Android updates for it’s apps still arrive in the GPS and take forever to download. The lag is horrible. Can I make some improvements with tweaks? Sure, but to what extent? That’s like taking my 20 year old SUV and think putting in super premium unleaded fuel and octane boost additive will make it run like a 10 year old SUV or new SUV today.
    06-11-21 04:45 PM
    Let's be realistic.
    On multiple occasions (weight of a device, support, features, etc) I've found this to be a real challenge. BlackBerry fans, no less, seem to dismiss clear (and almost unique) benefits as if the "market" robbed them of an ability to enjoy or even appreciate them.

Most things that I use my phone for (sms, email, calls, browsing, bills, calendar, YouT, music, notes, pics, etc) work on both my Priv and KEYᵒⁿᵉ. I can quick reply to messages (straight from notif shade, w/ out opening the app) even on marshmallow. I can't do pic w/ in pic, but find that I *very* rarely ever use this (I've disabled it in most apps on KEYᵒⁿᵉ, which could do it before the iPhone X). Sure there's lag, but every phone lags at times. Sure there's glitches/errors, but I've had interesting bugs/crashes on everything from the Razer phone (one of the earliest to carry more Ram than my pc) to budget moto's all the way up to Samsung flagships. And the obsession w/ "performance" is an odd one, because just how fast (which before very long won't even be that fast) do you need your phone to be? Most likely, unless you're a content creator online, you're not even utilizing 60% of your toolbelt tbh. It's like setting a bar for any car that cuts off below 120mph, or any car w/ less than 300hp, and dismissing anything that doesn't hit above that benchmark (while most people I know, and I'm sure most people you know, don't need to even reach it/want to reach it). Even many that do, rarely access it.

During the time when I owned a note10 (and 10+) I tried to really explore the feature set that came w/ it: and one of the stats it tracked was notifications. I'd get between 200-500 a day, usually in that range (obvi, lower numbers on my off days). Now of course, some of those operations would be identical - pull down notif shade to see new email, tap on new email, open w/ in gmail app and etc. But for all the times I've had to chat w/ people (especially at work) and actually use my phone for communication, and this may have been who knows let's say 167 times on one particular Friday - that's 167 instances where a key press or a key hold turned into 4 operations through various submenus. Once I got a bit more used to side panels, for some of those operations 4 steps became 3. But that's a difference between doing 167 things vs having to do 501 in the case of me using side panels - or 668 operations on other androids w/ out side panels. That's not the *s m a l l e s t* difference; that's not simply negligible or unnoticeable.

And many, many (many!) people are in situations similar to mine: for ex, I just ordered a moto g7 plus in case my BlackBerry devices literally stop working mid-day (as happened when ATnT dumped me lol, serious props to T-Mobile) because it was 149 bucks new. Doesn't seem reasonable for me to spend flagship prices for something that turns 100 button presses into 400 swipes, while aggravating me every day, all day long w/ endless typos.
    Rico4you and Paulelmar18 like this.
    06-12-21 01:51 AM
    On multiple occasions (weight of a device, support, features, etc) I've found this to be a real challenge. BlackBerry fans, no less, seem to dismiss clear (and almost unique) benefits as if the "market" robbed them of an ability to enjoy or even appreciate them.

Most things that I use my phone for (sms, email, calls, browsing, bills, calendar, YouT, music, notes, pics, etc) work on both my Priv and KEYᵒⁿᵉ. I can quick reply to messages (straight from notif shade, w/ out opening the app) even on marshmallow. I can't do pic w/ in pic, but find that I *very* rarely ever use this (I've disabled it in most apps on KEYᵒⁿᵉ, which could do it before the iPhone X). Sure there's lag, but every phone lags at times. Sure there's glitches/errors, but I've had interesting bugs/crashes on everything from the Razer phone (one of the earliest to carry more Ram than my pc) to budget moto's all the way up to Samsung flagships. And the obsession w/ "performance" is an odd one, because just how fast (which before very long won't even be that fast) do you need your phone to be? Most likely, unless you're a content creator online, you're not even utilizing 60% of your toolbelt tbh. It's like setting a bar for any car that cuts off below 120mph, or any car w/ less than 300hp, and dismissing anything that doesn't hit above that benchmark (while most people I know, and I'm sure most people you know, don't need to even reach it/want to reach it). Even many that do, rarely access it.

During the time when I owned a note10 (and 10+) I tried to really explore the feature set that came w/ it: and one of the stats it tracked was notifications. I'd get between 200-500 a day, usually in that range (obvi, lower numbers on my off days). Now of course, some of those operations would be identical - pull down notif shade to see new email, tap on new email, open w/ in gmail app and etc. But for all the times I've had to chat w/ people (especially at work) and actually use my phone for communication, and this may have been who knows let's say 167 times on one particular Friday - that's 167 instances where a key press or a key hold turned into 4 operations through various submenus. Once I got a bit more used to side panels, for some of those operations 4 steps became 3. But that's a difference between doing 167 things vs having to do 501 in the case of me using side panels - or 668 operations on other androids w/ out side panels. That's not the *s m a l l e s t* difference; that's not simply negligible or unnoticeable.

And many, many (many!) people are in situations similar to mine: for ex, I just ordered a moto g7 plus in case my BlackBerry devices literally stop working mid-day (as happened when ATnT dumped me lol, serious props to T-Mobile) because it was 149 bucks new. Doesn't seem reasonable for me to spend flagship prices for something that turns 100 button presses into 400 swipes, while aggravating me every day, all day long w/ endless typos.
    Totally agree.

Exactly I use my PRIV on Vodafone ( alongside my KEY 2 ) and PRIV works just fine ( did swap the battery and perfect) . All the apps I have on my PRIV unfortunately can't use longer on a Passport. So yes in 2021 you can use a PRIV perfectly..email, Facebook, IG, LinkedIN, Teams, ClickUP, Telegram, Whatsapp, skype, Tapatalk, Amazon, YouTube, PayPal, SurfShark, Uber...and so much more. All work fine, updated wifi, Vodafone! Yes in June 2021. Love the screen, strong signal, great hands-free! Sound!
    Paulelmar18 and Exedorable like this.
    06-12-21 04:30 AM
    Read what I’ve posted. I didn’t load apks on the Passport SE and haven’t for years on my other BB10 devices after I put them away. My original AT&T PRIV replaced my AT&T Passport as one primary device in 2015-2016 or so. I can load apps from GPS but didn’t since I don’t need them for a coffee table device. The only exception on each device is CrackBerry native app on each.

Regardless, each device has factory installed apps. The Passport runs quicker and is OK for all it’s 2013-2015 BB10 limitations. The PRIV takes forever to do anything with it’s 2014-2016 limitations. Some of it's biggest issues are because of it’s dated BBAndroid which is one year behind it’s competition from back then. The Android updates for it’s apps still arrive in the GPS and take forever to download. The lag is horrible. Can I make some improvements with tweaks? Sure, but to what extent? That’s like taking my 20 year old SUV and think putting in super premium unleaded fuel and octane boost additive will make it run like a 10 year old SUV or new SUV today.
    Yes I read what you state...and yes in 2021 you can use a PRIV with all apps on Playstore something you can't even come close with a Passport. This is the the reality.
    I"m running my PRIV right now and works perfectly fine...something that is impossible with my Passport as the apps are NOT supported. That simple.
    06-12-21 08:57 AM
    Yes I read what you state...and yes in 2021 you can use a PRIV with all apps on Playstore something you can't even come close with a Passport. This is the the reality.
    I"m running my PRIV right now and works perfectly fine...something that is impossible with my Passport as the apps are NOT supported. That simple.
    Sure, I can load GPS apps on the PRIV and I don't waste time doing it since when done, the PRIV runs slower than electric car without batteries. If you have the patience, enjoy your PRIV all day long. The purpose of any smartphone, especially BlackBerry, is around the idea of mobile productivity, for business or pleasure. The PRIV isn't capable of either almost (6) six years later.
    06-12-21 10:11 AM
    Sure, I can load GPS apps on the PRIV and I don't waste time doing it since when done, the PRIV runs slower than electric car without batteries. If you have the patience, enjoy your PRIV all day long. The purpose of any smartphone, especially BlackBerry, is around the idea of mobile productivity, for business or pleasure. The PRIV isn't capable of either almost (6) six years later.
    Once again you are making assumptions... Not reading what I"m saying. I told you all the apps I use and more... on my PRIV. All those apps and others work perfectly under Android 6. Will repeat once again ...no waiting...no issues...apps work fine. Like I said replaced the batter and my PRIV goes fine and only use location if needed. ...yes clear cache regularly. That simple that straightforward.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    06-12-21 10:25 AM
    Once again you are making assumptions... Not reading what I"m saying. I told you all the apps I use and more... on my PRIV. All those apps and others work perfectly under Android 6. Will repeat once again ...no waiting...no issues...apps work fine. Like I said replaced the batter and my PRIV goes fine and only use location if needed. ...yes clear cache regularly. That simple that straightforward.
    That's been my point. I've factory reset PRIV multiple times and I'm not even bothering with anything but the factory installed apps like it came from the factory. It's SLOW because it's doing what Android devices from 6 years ago do. They run SLOW and the PRIV a bit worse for all of it's extra gifts from outta the OEM box.

I used my other PRIV from the beginning and back in the day it was great. My AT&T PRIV was probably the closest BlackBerry Limited ever came to flagship and I ran it hard everyday. This PRIV runs as well as the other PRIV from 6 years ago. However, it's simply no longer 6 years ago. The usable aspects you're describing is like my 20 year old truck usability compared with today's vehicles. It's usable only because I'm willing to settle for almost nothing since it's paid for and getting used very little compared with other family vehicles.
    06-12-21 11:01 AM
    yeah.

Maybe Google should put a warning use at your own risk. I have cowoker who loves and uses his Nexus..LOL!

I use what I like when I like period.
    I agree Google or the phone manufacturer should add a security warning when phones are no longer supported and manufacturers should clearly state in all advertisements and at the point of sale how many months/years of support are left for a particular device...
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-12-21 11:16 AM
    I agree Google or the phone manufacturer should add a security warning when phones are no longer supported and manufacturers should clearly state in all advertisements and at the point of sale how many months/years of support are left for a particular device...
    BlackBerry did - 2 years from Nov 2015.

As Google requires developers to target Android 11 in August, they will also introduce a warning on Play Store to those using Android 6 and below (it is currently warning users on Android 5.1 and below).

But honestly, using a device that is 3.5 years beyond its last security patch is a very bad idea.
    Last edited by conite; 06-12-21 at 11:42 AM.
    06-12-21 11:24 AM
    BlackBerry did - 2 years from Nov 2015.
    Well done to Blackberry, however in my opinion if a device is not safe to use then when you turn it on a disclaimer should appear warning the user... Disclaimers should also be placed at the point of sale so the purchaser is aware of exactly how much time he or she will be able to safely use their device...
    06-12-21 11:36 AM
    Well done to Blackberry, however in my opinion if a device is not safe to use then when you turn it on a disclaimer should appear warning the user... Disclaimers should also be placed at the point of sale so the purchaser is aware of exactly how much time he or she will be able to safely use their device...
    You can still buy older vehicles without headrests, airbags, or anti-lock brakes.

Why do we need to be told these things when we can find out ourselves? Do we really need the state to regulate this too?

I'm already tired of being warned that it's either too hot or too cold outside, so to drink water or wear a hat.
    jmorgan456 likes this.
    06-12-21 12:55 PM
    You can still buy older vehicles without headrests, airbags, or anti-lock brakes.

Why do we need to be told these things when we can find out ourselves? Do we really need the state to regulate this too?

I'm already tired of being warned that it's either too hot or too cold outside, so to drink water or wear a hat.
    These things improve the safety of the vehicle but the vehicle is still safe to use... According to you and many others on this forum it is not safe to use an unpatched phone... I too agree that it is not safe... Many people are not aware of this, it would be simple to legislate for companies to add a warning much like they do with tobacco companies... Also I've known people purchase what they thought was a cheap phone only to realise that their security patches stop after six months... I get a warning when I buy some peanuts that if I don't consume them by a certain date they might not be at their best and in my opinion a best before date should be added to mobile phone details at the point of sale so that consumers can make an informed choice... You only have to look at data regarding the millions of unpatched phones still in use to realise that large numbers of people must be unaware of the dangers...
    06-12-21 01:12 PM
    These things improve the safety of the vehicle but the vehicle is still safe to use... According to you and many others on this forum it is not safe to use an unpatched phone... I too agree that it is not safe... Many people are not aware of this, it would be simple to legislate for companies to add a warning much like they do with tobacco companies... Also I've known people purchase what they thought was a cheap phone only to realise that their security patches stop after six months... I get a warning when I buy some peanuts that if I don't consume them by a certain date they might not be at their best and in my opinion a best before date should be added to mobile phone details at the point of sale so that consumers can make an informed choice... You only have to look at data regarding the millions of unpatched phones still in use to realise that large numbers of people must be unaware of the dangers...
    First, let the government worry about used vehicles before worrying about phones and the realities are we don’t need the government involved with either.
    jmorgan456 likes this.
    06-12-21 04:19 PM
    First, let the government worry about used vehicles before worrying about phones and the realities are we don’t need the government involved with either.
    I'm only talking about phones, the comparison with vehicles was raised by another... Let's agree to disagree, bottom line is people need to know if the phone they are using is safe and if the companies don't make that clear to people then the government should as it is a government's primary duty. I am not suggesting anything sinister here, I am only interested in ensuring the everyone is aware that they are using a safe device...
    06-12-21 04:51 PM
    I'm only talking about phones, the comparison with vehicles was raised by another... Let's agree to disagree, bottom line is people need to know if the phone they are using is safe and if the companies don't make that clear to people then the government should as it is a government's primary duty. I am not suggesting anything sinister here, I am only interested in ensuring the everyone is aware that they are using a safe device...
    I think the problem becomes “what is safe” because that means things to different people. Some people still use privs and flip the bird at safety while others adhere to much stricter policies of a couple months without monthly updates. No one would ever agree as has been demonstrated with this thread. Hell some are using phones from 2010-2013 without a care too I am sure.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-12-21 06:15 PM
    I think the problem becomes “what is safe” because that means things to different people. Some people still use privs and flip the bird at safety while others adhere to much stricter policies of a couple months without monthly updates. No one would ever agree as has been demonstrated with this thread. Hell some are using phones from 2010-2013 without a care too I am sure.
    I agree. "Safe" depends on how you use the phone. My mom has a flip phone and an apple XR. The XR never leaves the coffee table. So I am pretty sure she would be "Safe" on most any phone.

By contrast, I have banking apps, Delta, Hotels, AMZ etc on my phone. There is cc information and other private stuff on the phone. I also have secure client stuff. So I will and must be more careful.
    06-14-21 09:34 AM
    I agree. "Safe" depends on how you use the phone. My mom has a flip phone and an apple XR. The XR never leaves the coffee table. So I am pretty sure she would be "Safe" on most any phone.

By contrast, I have banking apps, Delta, Hotels, AMZ etc on my phone. There is cc information and other private stuff on the phone. I also have secure client stuff. So I will and must be more careful.
    The XR stills gets updates. The flip phone doesn't have an OS to hack.
    06-14-21 09:49 AM
    True on one part re XR, but the flip phone is nominally android and has a screen (of sorts). It has VERY limited "smartphone features" But one really needs to work at it to make them functional.

But that is besides the point. Both phones are only used for calling. period. There are no "apps" in use. So updates are hardly required and the phone would be "safe" enough for any use to which it would reasonably put. Pretty sure hackers do not care about the bridge game....

Bottom line - even a 10 year old phone would be "safe" for one who only uses calling. Whether functional is another matter.
    06-14-21 10:16 AM
    True on one part re XR, but the flip phone is nominally android and has a screen (of sorts). It has VERY limited "smartphone features" But one really needs to work at it to make them functional.

But that is besides the point. Both phones are only used for calling. period. There are no "apps" in use. So updates are hardly required and the phone would be "safe" enough for any use to which it would reasonably put. Pretty sure hackers do not care about the bridge game....

Bottom line - even a 10 year old phone would be "safe" for one who only uses calling. Whether functional is another matter.
    True enough. A minimally used phone could only really harvest your local contact list and local browsing data - so long as you don't sync with any cloud sources.
    06-14-21 10:20 AM
49 12