I have a key2 as my daily. I have used my Priv as a "phablet" since I got the Key2.

Unfortunately, the battery on my key2 needed replacing and it was out of commission for a couple weeks.

I fired up the Priv as the daily and figured I was good. Right? Wrong.

The Priv basically could not make it through the day. It was constantly rebooting. I was missing calls and texts during some very important matters. After 2 days, I hit bestbuy for an inexpensive backup which worked fine but for the glass keyboard. I think the Priv will be done. Maybe I can trade it on something or whatever. But I do not see a reason for it now.

I have my daily back. I have a 2021 era backup that does almost all I need it to do.
    06-08-21 09:12 AM
    I have a key2 as my daily. I have used my Priv as a "phablet" since I got the Key2.

Unfortunately, the battery on my key2 needed replacing and it was out of commission for a couple weeks.

The Priv basically could not make it through the day. It was constantly rebooting. I was missing calls and texts during some very important matters. After 2 days, I hit bestbuy for an inexpensive backup which worked fine but for the glass keyboard. I think the Priv will be done. Maybe I can trade it on something or whatever. But I do not see a reason for it now.

I have my daily back. I have a 2021 era backup that does almost all I need it to do.
    You could have done a factory reset on the Priv, which would have likely solved the issues you were having.

Edit: But you shouldn't be using an Android device that is more than 3 months without a security patch - let alone 3.5 years.
    Last edited by conite; 06-09-21 at 08:33 PM.
    John Albert likes this.
    06-08-21 09:20 AM
    Tried that. Did not work.
    06-08-21 09:34 AM

I swapped the battery on my PRIV and works perfectly fine alongside my KEY2.
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    06-08-21 11:42 AM
    I swapped the battery on my PRIV and works perfectly fine alongside my KEY2.
    It's perfectly fine that you continue to use a Priv, but perhaps for the sake of the uninitiated in the community, you also always post a security disclaimer that the practice is not recommended.
    06-08-21 11:48 AM
    I think there are probably already enough others that make sure such disclaimer recommendations and opinions are already stated whenever appropriate.
    Rico4you, bh7171 and Paulelmar18 like this.
    06-08-21 01:48 PM
    I think there are probably already enough others that make sure such disclaimer recommendations and opinions are already stated whenever appropriate.
    It's tiring though. But for the sake of the community, it needs to be done.
    06-08-21 01:57 PM
    yeah.

Maybe Google should put a warning use at your own risk. I have cowoker who loves and uses his Nexus..LOL!

I use what I like when I like period.
    06-08-21 02:56 PM
    yeah.

Maybe Google should put a warning use at your own risk. I have cowoker who loves and uses his Nexus..LOL!

I use what I like when I like period.
    Just like plenty of folks ignore that warnings about smoking...
    06-08-21 03:59 PM
    Just like plenty of folks ignore that warnings about smoking...
    ...we could go on and on....many who did not or support mask wearing ...or getting Jab...or drinking...maybe there should be a warning use at own risk and or not use an old TV because can no longer be updated....
    06-08-21 04:49 PM
    ...we could go on and on....many who did not or support mask wearing ...or getting Jab...or drinking...maybe there should be a warning use at own risk and or not use an old TV because can no longer be updated....
    Do you keep your contact list, emails, client data, or banking apps in your mask, or on your TV?
    06-08-21 04:58 PM
    Do you keep your contact list, emails, client data, or banking apps in your mask, or on your TV?
    Some people probably do use apps on their smart TVs for some of that.
    06-08-21 06:10 PM
    In 2021, the PRIV sucks, even more than any similar 2015 spec’d phones. It was BlackBerry Limited first Android device, 5-7 years after the Android OEM space had tremendously matured. I have a FU PRIV that is practically a factory reset device except for CB app like FU Passport SE also with just CB10 app. The PRIV is far slower than anything on my coffee table. Not really a daily capable device. The Passport is faster than PRIV for email, talking and texting. The Android ecosystem is further wasted on the PRIV for most tasks.
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-08-21 06:36 PM
    In 2021, the PRIV sucks, even more than any similar 2015 spec’d phones. It was BlackBerry Limited first Android device, 5-7 years after the Android OEM space had tremendously matured. I have a FU PRIV that is practically a factory reset device except for CB app like FU Passport SE also with just CB10 app. The PRIV is far slower than anything on my coffee table. Not really a daily capable device. The Passport is faster than PRIV for email, talking and texting. The Android ecosystem is further wasted on the PRIV for most tasks.
    Not like it's gonna make it as fast as your 3a, but have you actually disabled all of the BB pre loaded apps including BB Hub+ on the Priv? And lowered the animations to 0.5x?
    saint300 likes this.
    06-09-21 08:17 AM
    Not like it's gonna make it as fast as your 3a, but have you actually disabled all of the BB pre loaded apps including BB Hub+ on the Priv? And lowered the animations to 0.5x?
    And installed one of these bad boys as well...

My Priv failed me.-screenshot-2021-06-09-085009.png

Can improve performance on the PRIV by 20%! And talk about a coffee table conversation piece.
    06-09-21 08:51 AM
    The Priv basically could not make it through the day.
    After getting a KEYᵒⁿᵉ in 2017, the expectation of 2 days or at the very least 1 pretty *comfortable* day became a big deal, and why I disliked some pretty high end stuff almost right away after I bought it (like an lg v40). This was a big concern for me w/ the Priv around the time 2019 rolled around and the really serious bugs were starting to show up (like Netflix draining 60%+ of the battery, even when unused, and the native sms app crashing). There are probably a couple posts you can find by me that voiced my concern of that being my last year of real day-to-day Priv useability.

But it's not really as much of a concern tbh any longer since #1 when I do have to charge up 2-3 times during the day (often, but not always) it's not that different from those who have the newest flagships (for ex, my wife plugs in her iPhone 12 pro basically every time she gets in the car); and #2 I'm feeling more and more like my time w/ these devices is coming to an end (recently had to jump from ATnT to T-Mobile because they cut off support) so battery considerations are really not that big an issue nowadays.

This last time I switched back to it (using it currently, typing this on it) a couple days ago, I did notice a couple restarts that my Priv did by itself. But when I'm keeping up w/ clearing cache it behave ok, for ex I've had the screen on 1hr 55min and I had 38% left (this is earlier today). Def not great or even good by modern standards, but - that's after a mix of Instagram, Sms all day, taking some pics n video of the kids, a handful of calls, playing music a ton (Bluetooth in the car and just loudspeaker at home), even casting an old star wars documentary I found on YouT for the kids in our living room tv.
    saint300 likes this.
    06-09-21 04:42 PM
    I use my phones as the OEM and carrier intended optimized from the factory. In 2015-2017, the PRIV, simply was a first generation Android, warts and mistakes all. BlackBerry accomplished what it needed by using that experience to continue the planned exit of the mobile device space. The DTEK were enough improvement to interest TCL in reversing the evolving partnership and getting the KEYone plans to production.
    06-09-21 06:56 PM
    It's perfectly fine that you continue to use a Priv, but perhaps for the sake of the uninitiated in the community, you also always post a security disclaimer that the practice is not recommended.
    Wait... what????

Posting disclaimers for a comment on a forum??

He wasn't recommending the use of the Priv, he just said that a battery swap fixed his.

You could have done a factory reset on the Priv, which would have likely solved the issues you were having.
    And for that matter, this comment also should require a "security disclaimer"
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-09-21 07:49 PM
    this comment also should require a "security disclaimer"
    You are absolutely correct.
    06-09-21 08:12 PM
    I use my phones as the OEM and carrier intended optimized from the factory
    Lol, that's just not necessarily true with Android. Everyone knows that the BB app suite, Hub+ Services etc slows that thing down to a halt.
    06-09-21 08:50 PM
    Lol, that's just not necessarily true with Android. Everyone knows that the BB app suite, Hub+ Services etc slows that thing down to a halt.
    There’s a lot of things I can do to make Android device “usable” but why should I when I bought the device to use as intended? The selling point, BBAndroid, is why I bought the device. I enjoyed BBOS and wanted that paired with Android ecosystem. The DTEK lineup was a nice improvement.
    06-10-21 05:16 AM
    There’s a lot of things I can do to make Android device “usable” but why should I when I bought the device to use as intended? The selling point, BBAndroid, is why I bought the device. I enjoyed BBOS and wanted that paired with Android ecosystem. The DTEK lineup was a nice improvement.
    You're just deliberately keeping your Priv performing slower than it can for no good reason imo.

It's like refusing to use a more modern carburator and disc brakes on a classic car, preferring to use it "as intended" with the old technology when there aren't really any benefits to doing that.
    06-10-21 06:08 AM
    You're just deliberately keeping your Priv performing slower than it can for no good reason imo.

It's like refusing to use a more modern carburator and disc brakes on a classic car, preferring to use it "as intended" with the old technology when there aren't really any benefits to doing that.
    I don't understand. Are you saying that folks should delete/disable all BlackBerry Hub/Services/Apps from all BlackBerry Android (or otherwise Android) phones, because those things slow down Android phones too much?
    06-10-21 06:40 AM
    I don't understand. Are you saying that folks should delete/disable all BlackBerry Hub/Services/Apps from all BlackBerry Android (or otherwise Android) phones, because those things slow down Android phones too much?
    Maybe not all Android phones, but the aging Priv can sure use every performance boost you can give it.
    And I'd say about the same for the KEYBerry's, because those BB apps are absolutely resource hogs.

If you're running a powerful flagship from the last two years, should be no problem.

It's just this ironic thing that BB apps run better on non-BB phones, I mean the most powerful BB out there is the KEY2, running the three year old SD660 (though still doing okay).
    Exedorable likes this.
    06-10-21 08:43 AM
    Maybe not all Android phones, but the aging Priv can sure use every performance boost you can give it.
    And I'd say about the same for the KEYBerry's, because those BB apps are absolutely resource hogs.

If you're running a powerful flagship from the last two years, should be no problem.

It's just this ironic thing that BB apps run better on non-BB phones, I mean the most powerful BB out there is the KEY2, running the three year old SD660 (though still doing okay).
    Obviously my own experience is only anectodic, but in the past (2018-19) I tried out twice the paid version (1 $/€) of the Blackberry suite both on an SD625 Motorola (hardware wise equal to the K1 if remember correctly) and an SD845 LG. Experienced heavy resource utilisation on both of course even more on the former.
    Plus, I remember that the BB launcher crashed frequently and its shortcut icon function (where you can assign different tasks to an icon on the home screen) was very buggy in particular.
    06-10-21 09:28 AM
49 12