Since it is so EXTREMELY rare for me to make mistakes or have accidents involving my devices, I feel compelled to share this RARE event

To make a long traumatic story shorter, I had to make a trip to Spokane this weekend and while in the motel room my two week activated Priv was knocked into the kitchenette sink that was full of water, fortunately no soap or anything yet.

The worst initially was the fact that it was unnoticed for several seconds, then noticed and the panic ensues.

I pulled it out and immediately turned it off, got on my tablet to find the closest Radio Shack because I didn't have my phone tools with me and hoped they were open on a holiday weekend. Drove out to Spokane Valley, got an adequate but overpriced kit, electronics adhesive, canned air and a can of deoxIT and headed back.

I only got one photo with my tablet at the start of the process because I got so involved in the "surgery" I completely forgot to take any more, duh!

I removed my SD and Sim cards, opened up the phone, noticed majority of water had gotten in the usb port area but definite moisture in camera, speaker and motherboard areas. The protective back cover for the holster system kept water out of the slide seams. Removed the battery, speakers, which have a fabric type cover over them, and motherboard. I blasted everything with the canned air I bought and then proceeded to blast all connections and components with the deoxIT, let sit for a few minutes and blasted again. I let it sit that way for about an hour, wiped the excess deoxIT that hadn't dried off of non electronic components, put it back together and so far everything is working normally after a day with no anomalies, unlike my Z30, which I didn't get to in time to prevent problems.

The deoxIT should prevent any future corrosion issues or belated problems that usually show up months later. I've learned my lesson about drying out phones in rice and hoping for the best. But time will tell if my labors will pay off.

Not a good weekend and ended up leaving a nice sunny and 67deg Spokane to hitting a minor snow storm and slushy roads after getting into Montana. At least my Priv is still rocking on.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Uzi, FF22 and zocster like this.
    09-05-16 09:56 PM
    Oops, forgot to attach

Attached Thumbnails My Priv attempts to compete with M.Phelps-priv_20160904_141737.jpg  
    09-05-16 10:21 PM
    Survivor!
    09-05-16 10:25 PM
    Excellent tale and so far, an excellent outcome. Did you find it hard to disassemble and reassemble?

Spokane Valley is so, um, non-descript!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    09-05-16 10:31 PM
    You should do a detailed tutorial for other users to 'fix' their misfortunes ...
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    09-05-16 10:39 PM
    Excellent tale and so far, an excellent outcome. Did you find it hard to disassemble and reassemble?

Spokane Valley is so, um, non-descript!
    Actually, the hardest part for me was separating the thin flexible back from the chassis. As I would start separating the upper corner, the chassis ( back frame) would try to come with it and was very tricky to separate. Once it was separate from the frame, the rest was much easier to pop loose. I got better at it because I ended up doing it three times due to a particularly persistent piece of lent that I noticed on my camera lens after the first reassembly.

I found two videos on YouTube on disassembly, one I say stay away from because it shows the guy just popping off the keyboard, but he doesn't tell you it is held on with adhesive and you have to have adhesive to put it back on, which I had, but totally unnecessary for most needs of disassembly, as in a battery replacement.

The other video is actually pretty informative but very quick and brief, not going into detail very often for some actions. The initial back separation was not as simple as the video indicates in my case because of the clinging back cover.

The assembly was a non issue except for me removing more components than most would need to, therefore requiring using adhesive for a few procedures. It's imperative to insure that all the little mini snaps of the back cover are engaged, so you have to squeeze the edges pretty firmly. Also, there is a ribbon circuit attached to the back of the battery, so pull it out gently and just enough to pull the ribbon away.

Not nearly as bad as I anticipated, but I had no options as it was, in my opinion, so I had nothing to lose lol

Lol I was in Spokane, the River Park area, but when I saw the address for Radio Shack it said Spokane Valley, so I thought it was in the general area, I didn't know it was an actual separate community/town several miles east of actual Spokane proper. I was just lucky they were open because the other vendors I called that would carry what I needed were closed.

FF22 likes this.
    09-05-16 11:07 PM
    You should do a detailed tutorial for other users to 'fix' their misfortunes ...
    I initially was intending to but got so wrapped up in saving my phone I completely forgot to document it. The YouTube video definitely helped me get going for sure. It's a good guide, just go slow and watch the whole thing first. The main things you need are there.

This is the website which also has good text description, which I found AFTER I had already done the deed. I wish I had found it before I started, but it still came out fine.

http://www.jerryrigeverything.com/20...y-replacement/

Due to the only real problem I had was separating the back, I may take some photos of the problem area and post them here, although others may not have the difficulty I did for that one aspect.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-05-16 at 11:35 PM.
    zocster and FF22 like this.
    09-05-16 11:23 PM
    One of those times it would be good if it had been an S7, S7 Edge or Note7. Well, forget the Note for the time being. Lol
    09-06-16 11:20 PM