I have a few concerns about the Priv. I'm seriously considering the device but these are my concerns:

1) Google Android is notorious for its lack of privacy and wherever possible hoovering up usage and metadata. Others may have differing opinions on this, but one of the significant attractions of Blackberry is security and privacy. The Priv may be secure, but if it is using Google/Android as it's OS, will it still be as private as BB10? Will there be a way to use the device without having to use a GoogleMail account?

2) What does the future hold for BB10? As an early adopter of BB10 and the majority of the devices with this OS, it would be a bit of a slap in the face if BB were to wind down and abandon the OS.

3) Will BB's productivity apps like Blend be available on the Priv?

The device does look great. My favourite BB of all time was the Torch and this looks like it could be a worthy successor but I am just unsure about Google/Android after loathing it for so long.

What does anyone else think?
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    11-05-15 01:42 PM
    Bb10 is just as weak as any other OS at the consumer level. My concern isn't googles inherent weakness but Blackberrys commitment to constantly patching any security issues. We all know how slow they are at updating bb10 and bbos but they claim they will push many updates monthly for the priv. Let's see if they have their software team on their toes

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 01:47 PM
    There is 101 threads on this forum that can answer all your questions
    11-05-15 01:51 PM
    which is something i wonder as well because underneath it all its still running android, for some reason android and security just dont go together
    Jermanicus likes this.
    11-05-15 01:52 PM
    1) Private as BB10.... No. Have to use a Gmail mail account.... NO, if you have a Google Account not linked to Gmail it will work.

2) BB10 is pretty much dead, few minor fixes and that's it. It had no future the minute BlackBerry chose to go the Android with Google Services route. But much like any other OS that has been ended... it will be in use for years to come.

3) We don't really know.. the PRIV is very much a Beta device, as time goes by the software will be improved and new features will come.

What do I think.... that as a Beta devcie, I'd let other do the testing and then see if it will meet my needs. A month from now things will be much clearer.
    Jermanicus likes this.
    11-05-15 02:04 PM
    I have a few concerns about the Priv.
    Back of the line please.
    Jermanicus likes this.
    11-05-15 02:31 PM
    There is 101 threads on this forum that can answer all your questions
    I had a look and couldn't see any - if you can post some links to them that would be great.
    11-05-15 02:37 PM
    If privacy is your biggest concern then i wouldn't worry that much about it unless you work for the government and you have classified documents living on your phone......

not sure if you can have a google account without having a gmail account. I think it's automatic. Whether or not you use it is a different story. i know that when i wanted to have a youtube account then i automatically was forced into getting a gmail account.

Bb10? Last interview i read with john chen or one of his goons which was posted right here on crackberry less than a week ago said that bb10 will be supported. in fact, they are planning to roll out the next os update in jan... what happens after that is anyone's guess....look at it like this; if blackberry shuts down bb10 completely by next summer then what phone will you use if your options are android or iphone?...

even if they did continue to support it that still doesn't mean developers will...just yesterday i was about to listen to some tunes in slacker radio only for the 1st track to be a message saying "sorry, slacker radio is no longer being supported on blackberry. Feel free to get the ios or android version instead."...i had a look of rage and sadness on my face.

Your best bet is to simply wait a month or 2 to see if the Priv is doing well before jumping in and be disappointed from the get-go.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 03:01 PM
    which is something i wonder as well because underneath it all its still running android, for some reason android and security just dont go together
    I think you mean Google and security/privacy just do not go together based on their history. The fact the Google Android OS applications are Java should be a red flag when it comes to security. The Java programmer apologists need not reply; we all known you are already brain-dead. Java was the reason BB4-BB7 applications were slow and buggy as a first semester computer science student's assignments. I would like to get the BlackBerry Priv if and only if BlackBerry guarantees it is not a privacy sieve.
    Jermanicus likes this.
    11-05-15 03:15 PM
    I understand from reviews that Blend will NOT yet be available on the device. That, plus the fact it is being launched with a soon to be superseded version of Android lends me to believe that the device is being rushed. As I understand it, granularity in Android app permissions will not be available until Marshmallow - thus this much vaunted Blackberry DTEK is really only a notification tool - it will tell the user that e.g. Facebook is accessing your location five million times a day - but the only choice you will have is to live with it or uninstall the Facebook app. There are loads of other Android apps which do the same as DTEK and which give varying degrees of permission control with varying degrees of success. Again, another indication to me that the Priv is being rushed.
    11-06-15 05:17 PM
    I understand from reviews that Blend will NOT yet be available on the device. That, plus the fact it is being launched with a soon to be superseded version of Android lends me to believe that the device is being rushed. As I understand it, granularity in Android app permissions will not be available until Marshmallow - thus this much vaunted Blackberry DTEK is really only a notification tool - it will tell the user that e.g. Facebook is accessing your location five million times a day - but the only choice you will have is to live with it or uninstall the Facebook app. There are loads of other Android apps which do the same as DTEK and which give varying degrees of permission control with varying degrees of success. Again, another indication to me that the Priv is being rushed.
    Maybe BlackBerry will deliver BlackBerry Android OS (Marshmellow) by early February/March 2016. It is a bad sign when a banking application wants access to everything on your smartphone. Considering the banking cartel is in bed with the government any notion of privacy is a delusion. After 6 hours with my new smartphone it is proving to be more "premium" than I had anticipated. The smartphone supports microSDXC memory cards available in capactities 64GB-2TB. This shocked the wireless carrier rep with whom I dealt today. Alas we must wait for 2TB cards to become available.
    11-06-15 05:45 PM