Hello,

I've lived for years using a BlackBerry. Before deciding to move to the Priv I had the Classic, and literally LOVED it. One of the best phones I can remember owning in the past 10 years. Unfortunately, for work I needed some apps that would work fluidly and that were not available for the BB10 users. So, I got a Priv.
    I would say that I never loved it as much as the Classic, but I liked its functionality and all the android apps.
    I missed immediately the BlackBerry Blend option, one of the most practical and useful things I've used ever.
    The phone almost immediately would get hot randomly, and I'm saying HOT.
    As time went by the performance only got worst. Apps crashing, text messages crashing, screen blocked, multiple reboots needed, and a slowwww performance.

I don't know if I got unlucky with it or not. I think I'm taking good care of it.
    I don't use games or extremely heavy apps. I update when there are updates. I don't even stream or use apps like Netflix on it, it's really a work accessory.

I'm thinking on going back to my beloved Classic, but I don't know how I'll be able to deal with the absence of some apps.

Anw, how was your experience with the Priv?
    eranimila likes this.
    07-08-17 09:11 AM
    I've had my Priv for a year. I like it. It works well but sometimes overheats or starts stuttering. This happened on my Z30 as well but less frequently.
    I am probably in the same camp as you OP. I much preferred my Z30, but I can't go back.
    Have you tried to clean the cache and do a 32 second reboot? I do this about once per week and in general it works well. Last night for example my Priv was overheating a lot as I was browsing forums and news, nothing heavy. I had to do about 3 reboots to have it stop. Not sure why.
    07-08-17 09:23 AM
    I understand you. I sold my Priv after using 6 month. It makes me angry and i would throw it to the wall every day. Slow down, Overheating every day with standard apps after 3 x reinstall and reboots....
    This Android Crap is nothing for me. Now i used a second hand Blackberry Classic. And this was the best i can do after the priv

bye bye Android.
    eranimila likes this.
    07-08-17 10:48 AM
    Does the buyer know you threw your phone at the wall every day?
    kvndoom, irenejazz and p1800nut like this.
    07-08-17 10:52 AM
    My Priv gets really hot when streaming music or video. Sometimes it will actually throw a warning that it is overheating and will go into recovery mode.
    07-08-17 10:54 AM
    Generally speaking, and again, I say generally, heating problems are most prevalent in areas with poor signal. At home, I have zero heating issues, however, at the moment, I am visiting my parents and have to go outside to get a fairly reliable signal, I get sporadic signal inside, and outside isn't great. In this situation, my phone often gets hot and gives me the cooling down message, the battery also drains quickly, necessitating recharging multiple times a day. At home, I easily get a full day, about 12 hours, sometime more out of a charge.

All that being said, it really isn't just the Priv, although because of its processor, it is a little more susceptible to it. My wife's Samsung has the same issue here.

Buy what works for you, but the Priv definitely isn't junk, but it may not work for you.
    07-08-17 12:18 PM
    Android Crap
    Its not android that is the problem, I'e had other Android phones which do not have the oerheating and slowdown that the Pri has.
    07-08-17 01:31 PM
    I got a Priv and although not perfect cannot go back to BB10 for the same Apps reason as you. I downloaded CCleaner and set it up to clean cache automatically and remind me when cleaning is needed, that helps a lot. The overheating for me happens when I use Google Maps.

I just put it in fron of the AC and keep going.

Also been using Friendly instead of the native Facebook and Facebook messenger and also helps.

You could do a full reset and just install the Apps that are crucial for you and keep it simple. See how it goes after that. I understand that the processor in the Priv was not the best choice.... have to live with it. Not ready for KeyOne right now as I am very comfortable with the Big screen.

Check the Priv forums for more answers if you haven't already!

PM me if you have more questions. Hope you can solve the issues and keep going.

Sent from my STV100-3 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-08-17 04:28 PM
    how does it make sense to make a device with large memory and storage then running poorly and overheating unless close to devoid of applications installed... I think it's mainly the BlackBerry we o called security and bloat that over-rated the resources making the device good for little more than calls & messages... how ridiculous for a premium priced supposed flagship. new versions from BlackBerry seemingly overheat and lag as well.
    07-08-17 04:42 PM
    I love my PRIV. Occasionally it'll get warm when using a browser but I haven't noticed it with any other apps. But it's only ever been HOT when I initially set everything up on day 1. My only real complaints are that it won't update properly & sometimes when I try to reboot it will reboot 3, 4, 12 times in a row. Which is kinda scary.
    07-08-17 05:08 PM
    OP, what kind of SD card are you using? It's best to use a U3/V30 rated card.
    I'm using a U1 and it's not fast enough to handle apps or 1080 video recording with the camera.

If you're using a U1 rated card like mine, make sure you don't have any apps stored on the card -- it'll result in very VERY slow load, app crashing more frequently, and heat up like crazy.
    07-08-17 05:25 PM
    I use the Priv for hub email management and a XZ Sony premium for other things. A Priv 2 would have sorted out the problems with this phone. compared to the Sony, the Priv is slow and laggy but you get used to it and just work slower. The Priv is great in winter as a hand warmer. I'll just run it into the ground and see what happens in future with BlackBerry. You can download the Hub and other BlackBerry apps onto other phones so only lose the security features. In no great rush to get the K1 as I'm using the PKB less and less
    07-08-17 06:16 PM
    I use apps to periodically clear cache and clear ram and priv runs relatively smooth with only the occasional hiccup that is generally fixed with a simple reboot. It takes much trial and error to get it right, but stability is achievable. Priv doesn't have enough ram for bb apps and something is weird with cache. I'm not smart enough to nail down any specifics but with time I feel most will reach similar conclusions.
    07-09-17 05:38 AM
    I'm really sorry all these people are having issues, but this thing is the greatest phone I've ever owned....I love it. I've had none of the issues that seem to be commonly mentioned. Mine is a STV-100-1, bought unlocked from BlackBerry, if that matters.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    07-09-17 10:33 AM
    I'm really sorry all these people are having issues, but this thing is the greatest phone I've ever owned....I love it. I've had none of the issues that seem to be commonly mentioned. Mine is a STV-100-1, bought unlocked from BlackBerry, if that matters.
    +1
    07-09-17 10:40 AM
    My Priv is the backup alarm clock. I got fed up with it and bought and iPhone.
    07-09-17 11:42 AM
    My Priv is the backup alarm clock. I got fed up with it and bought and iPhone.
    Hope you like your iPhone. It's a good phone, but I hate the interface. Horribly clunky to me. I have to use iOS for some of my work. I cannot use it for email since I need to be able to send and receive all sorts of files, and iOS cannot send or receive file that the phone has no app to handle. I often need to receive a file to transfer to my computer, in areas where I have no WIFI, but have cell signal. The way iOS deals with attachments is maddening, clunky, and time consuming. Floppy Bird works fine on iOS as well as Candy Crush, so, it's okay. (Tongue in cheek)

The iPhone works, I get it, but until they fix the attachment issue, I will never be able to use one, that and the inability to add a memory card make it unusable.
    gebco likes this.
    07-09-17 03:10 PM
    I'm sorry to hear people have issues with this phone . I came from the passport because I needed a keyboard and good email management. since the keyone is to pricey I bought one on ebay brand new for cheap.

after a few months use I haven't seen it slow down at all and I have numerous apps and a few games installed. The keyboard comes in handy when I need to write extensive emails but the vkb is more practical for me in day to day use. I love having the option. as far as it getting hot yes mine does get warm and once in awhile does overheat. clean master app does a good job of cooling it down a bit and cleans up my apps nicely.

all in all I think with android in general you have to do a bit of maintenance yourself but it's nothing out of this world. we maintain our cars to make sure they run properly after all. I love the priv
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-09-17 03:26 PM
    Hello,

I've lived for years using a BlackBerry. Before deciding to move to the Priv I had the Classic, and literally LOVED it. One of the best phones I can remember owning in the past 10 years. Unfortunately, for work I needed some apps that would work fluidly and that were not available for the BB10 users. So, I got a Priv.
    I would say that I never loved it as much as the Classic, but I liked its functionality and all the android apps.
    I missed immediately the BlackBerry Blend option, one of the most practical and useful things I've used ever.
    As time went by the performance only got worst. Apps crashing, text messages crashing, screen blocked, multiple reboots needed, and a slowwww performance.

I don't know if I got unlucky with it or not. I think I'm taking good care of it.
    I don't use games or extremely heavy apps. I update when there are updates. I don't even stream or use apps like Netflix on it, it's really a work accessory.

I'm thinking on going back to my beloved Classic, but I don't know how I'll be able to deal with the absence of some apps.

Yes understand what your saying. I miss my Passport in this case, also have Classic and couldn't find myself getting use to it after using Passport. Still enjoy using any BlackBerry though. Using PRIV right now no complaints here every phone has its pro's and con's.
    07-09-17 03:55 PM
    Hello,

I went from the passport to the Priv on the release day of the Priv and I haven't looked back. I'm no bb10 haters it was (IMO) one of the best OS's ever created , but with the lack of apps it was time to move on. The transition was pretty easy, but I went into it with open eyes, knowing what I was getting into. IMO once the announcement was made by Blackberry that The Priv was going android the writing was on the wall that BlackBerry 10 was done (although resistance is strong). Nevertheless, I felt I could either stay on an OS (although solid) was dieing or move forward.

The truth is if I didn't require apps I may still be Rock'n a passport , but I'm glad I stayed with the times.
    07-09-17 04:37 PM
    I bought my priv three days ago, it was mint condition. The guy was selling it for 250 then dropped it to 120. I thought wow a priv for 120, even if it was dinged up that's still cheap. So I bought it..it wasn't dinged up but it is now.
    This phone is the biggest piece of s*** I have ever purchased. In three days it's crashed over and over, photos won't open up, texts won't send and the battery has been erratic. Never and I mean never will I buy another blackberry.
    I always loved blackberry, stepped away a few years ago and said let's try again...what a dummy!!!
    Can you guys sense I don't like it?
    FRUSTRADED!!!!!
    07-10-17 01:15 PM
    I bought my priv three days ago, it was mint condition. The guy was selling it for 250 then dropped it to 120. I thought wow a priv for 120, even if it was dinged up that's still cheap. So I bought it..it wasn't dinged up but it is now.
    This phone is the biggest piece of s*** I have ever purchased. In three days it's crashed over and over, photos won't open up, texts won't send and the battery has been erratic. Never and I mean never will I buy another blackberry.
    I always loved blackberry, stepped away a few years ago and said let's try again...what a dummy!!!
    FRUSTRADED!!!!!
    What OS?
    07-10-17 04:02 PM
    FRUSTRADED!!!!!
    You might want to completely wipe and and reload the OS as if from scratch.

Good luck.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    07-10-17 06:26 PM
    all in all I think with android in general you have to do a bit of maintenance yourself
    If that were the case then I'd needto be doing mantenance on all the other Androids I have. My Dell tablet from 2013 never has an issue, nor the kyocera that I dropped and cracked the screen and replaced with the Priv, as well as those before the kyocera. none of my Androids have had any issuesand the Priv has multiple issues since the March update.
    I feel like an iphone user now, all the iphone users around me have to leave their phones on their desks plugged into chargers and after the march update now I have to do the same with my priv.
    07-10-17 07:07 PM
    I use apps to periodically clear cache and clear ram and priv runs relatively smooth with only the occasional hiccup that is generally fixed with a simple reboot. It takes much trial and error to get it right, but stability is achievable. Priv doesn't have enough ram for bb apps and something is weird with cache. I'm not smart enough to nail down any specifics but with time I feel most will reach similar conclusions.
    Thank you for the tip. What kind of apps do you use to clear the cache?
    07-10-17 08:20 PM
48 12