I am now trying to get used to the Priv, coming from a z10. I'm glad the hub and calendar are here! But I had a question on multitasking. How does it work?

E.g. I could play a video and then switch to another App while I could still hear the video play, or even turn the screen off. When I do that with the Priv it just stops the video.

Is there an option to turn on multitasking on this device?

Thx

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-14-15 09:41 AM
    No its always on by using the square button at the bottom right. This device does not have the same features as bb10 have.

11-14-15 09:51 AM
    So, you are saying that a video, whether or not direct from you tube app or browser, will actual stop playing if you open something else on another tab or app, or if you turn off the screen!??

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 10:04 AM
    Pretty much, yeah. There are apps that can do this for you. That is Android.
    11-14-15 10:07 AM
    No one does true multi tasking like BB10 did. Most apps will just pause when you minimize it. Sure it's still open but not when you load a youtube video to listen to music then go read the web it pauses. This obviously is done to conserve battery power becuase if you are not useing an app why waste power on it. BB10 at least gave a developer a choice that if they knew their app might need to run in the background they can allow it, then they allower the end user to have the ultimate choice if they wanted to allow it
    11-14-15 10:10 AM
    One of the 'new' features of their new YouTube Red paid subscription service is 'Play Videos in the Background'.

LOL...

Posted via CB10
    MrEvets likes this.
    11-14-15 10:11 AM
    Here are some suggestions that might work for you

http://www.labnol.org/internet/backg...android/27046/

11-14-15 10:14 AM
    Does it work with other apps than youtube?
    For example, can you watch livestreaming TV in the browser while typing away emails or typing in the crackberry app like I do now on my passport watching BBC World News in Japan?
    11-14-15 10:22 AM
    So I read the suggestions ^^. Only problem, it says in the article that the Play Store has now pulled those apps :/

Back to the stone ages I guess Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 10:22 AM
    That was one of my first issues with Android and the Priv. I love the device and the changes BlackBerry has made to improve the messaging flow, but BB10 is truly the best OS out there, except for that one, irritating word, apps.I wonder if BlackBerry actually knew how to market, and did with BB10, where would it be. But hind sight now. But back on topic, I am sure there is and app or three to play youtube in the background.
    11-14-15 10:24 AM
    Google is working on multi tasking for Marshmellow

Enable the Hidden, Experimental Multi-Window Feature in Android 6.0
    Trisk333 likes this.
    11-14-15 10:29 AM
    In theory apps should not run if they do not have focus (are visible) absent an explicit detachment of a service from the main app (as is done by things like a messaging app that must remain "active")

In practice they sometimes do. Those apps that do not check for focus and execute do evil things to your power consumption especially if they make requests for services such as location (which can turn on the GPS, of course.)

The privacy implications are bad too, but even if you don't care about that the power consumption issue is real.

​Welcome to Android where many apps are poorly written -- and I'm being polite.

BB10 had the permission option to freeze Android apps that did not have focus (were "tiled"); stock Android does not.
    11-14-15 10:44 AM
    I think we should have the choice. I am a huge fan of the music creation app Caustic. (best 10.00 I have ever spent an app or otherwise). The one thing that bugs me is that when the screen shuts off, it stops playing. I asked the developer about that and he said that BlackBerry made him do that. Yet, here I am listening to Nobex in the background while typing this. Give us choice!

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 03:41 PM
    You don't know what you're talking about.

Android has true multitasking, but it's app dependent.

For example, Chrome is developed to stop a video / music when it's minimized. But try Firefox (it's not like a desktop Firefox - on Android it actually works) and you can play music and videos from YouTube in the background.

There are many apps working in the background all the time, like DTEK for example.

So Android supports multitasking, but not all apps are using this feature. It's similar to Playbook's modes: showcase / pause for apps. Just in Android the apps can choose whether they work as "showcase" or "pause" when minimized.

In theory apps should not run if they do not have focus (are visible) absent an explicit detachment of a service from the main app (as is done by things like a messaging app that must remain "active")

In practice they sometimes do. Those apps that do not check for focus and execute do evil things to your power consumption especially if they make requests for services such as location (which can turn on the GPS, of course.)

The privacy implications are bad too, but even if you don't care about that the power consumption issue is real.

​Welcome to Android where many apps are poorly written -- and I'm being polite.

BB10 had the permission option to freeze Android apps that did not have focus (were "tiled"); stock Android does not.
    You can measure/check the power consumption, it's built in. Besides when you play a video in the background, you are aware it will use your battery, right? Or?

You can freeze an Android app as well, simply deny working in the background permission.

The real problem are poorly written apps, like Adobe Reader, which can start and run in the background without you noticing anything. You can even kill the process, but it will fire again later.

About the privacy implications... there aren't any. Apps can record your screen / mic or access notifications only with special (additional) permissions and you have to set them first manually.

I agree there are many poorly written apps and Android is not ideal in managing them, it's even not consistent with displaying running apps or closing them, but in other ways it's far better than BlackBerry 10. And I'm saying this being a huge BB10 fan, I never liked Android, but the 6.0 version is completely different from 4.x and earlier.
    08-11-16 04:57 PM