Hey guys....so I'm setting up my work email account via the Hub, and after multiple failed attempts I finally got it to authenticate and load up my email account.....however I keep getting a message that the administrator requires security changes to my account.....basically complete access to my device and the ability to fully manipulate data. This isn't something that ever came up on my bb10 devices so it's definitely Android specific.

The popup message is attached....any thoughts ? Did anyone else get a similar message when syncing thru Ms Exchange?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails MS Exchange ActiveSync Security-597.jpg  
    12-01-15 06:59 PM
    Yes that's normal on Android. In the past i have set up my Google Apps account through exchange and get the same message on Android. That agreement never popped up on my ios or BB10 devices.

12-01-15 07:15 PM
    So I just have to hand over total access to my phone if I want work emails? That can't be right .....

12-01-15 11:34 PM
    Exchange servers can deploy security policies to connected devices. BlackBerry 10, being unrecognised, will either be ignored or banned, depending on the server settings.

Technet can give you more information on this.

Posted via CB10
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    12-01-15 11:59 PM
    So I just have to hand over total access to my phone if I want work emails? That can't be right .....

If your work place use mobile management system then yes, the moment you try to setup email it will take control over your phone and it will start monitoring all phone calls, text messages and email. They say they don't record phone calls but keep track of all phone numbers has been dialed, the header of text messages and emails but not the content. But I didn't like that.

My company use Airwatch by VMware and the moment you add IPhone or Android device it would take control. Since I used to have BB10 I was allowed to use email without control like other phones and same thing with the Priv. I think the phone core has BlackBerry tag somewhere and therefore it gets some sort of exception when you setup exchange email.

It all depends on your company's policies. I remember I read a post about a Priv owner that his phone won't even work at all because the mobile management software prohibits the use of any BlackBerry phone and although Priv is android but the tags still say it's a blackberry device.

12-02-15 05:34 AM
    If you're hooked up to the exchange server whether it's ios, android or BlackBerry, I can wipe the device and do a few more things if I have the settings in place on the server.

If I have you on my bes server then I can do even more.

Nature of the beast unfortunately I guess.

12-02-15 06:01 AM
    There is a solution. It is not unreasonable for your corporate IT to want the ability to remotely delete email and the like from your phone in case it is lost/stolen/missing or in case you leave the company (whether at your behest or theirs). The idea behind Blackberry Balance and Android for Work is to allow your phone to be segregated into work and personal sandboxes so that the work portion remains subject to corporate IT policy but you have personal freedom on your own device.

I'm assuming that your company hasn't deployed AFW so there is a different solution. Most Android EAS connected apps do not allow application level security so the Exchange Security Policies set by your systems admin are being applied across the device. For that reason, I use the Hub for all my personal email, text, etc, but do not use it for EAS. I use an app called Nine which allows your to choose device level or application level security. It integrates fully with the Priv's calendar and contacts. The only catch is that I need a separate PIN for opening Nine (I set it to lock at 30 minutes so it's not a big deal).
    12-02-15 10:11 AM
    Great find on Nine, but it also costs $9.99 USD right now (usually $19.99 USD).
    12-14-15 03:59 PM