Didn't go too far with it.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 10:47 PM
    Didn't go too far with it.

Posted via CB10
    But it was still rooted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    08-25-15 12:47 AM
    I think the Slider will be rooted sooner or later (just for the challenge). The so much praised security of BlackBerry was not meant to be the security of the OS itself but the security of BES I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 01:46 AM
    I just want a rootable Android.

XDA forums + BlackBerry Venice (or Passport) = customizations galore
    The only real hurdle in terms of adoption for me.
    I need to be able to root the devices to at least have bit of control over my privacy on an Android phone.
    lift likes this.
    08-25-15 06:05 AM
    then go buy one.... they're everywhere.

In case of the Venice not being rootable, I'll go to iOS.
    lift likes this.
    08-25-15 06:08 AM
    Yes, like you say - I would think its like KNOX, if you root it, it lits an 'e-fuse' and wipes the secure 'business' container.

What is really funny about this is that android fans will buy this device and create threads on android central along the lines of:

How do I get rid of BB bloatware on BB Slider?
    I am only interested in the keyboard and I dgaf about Android.
    I would be one of those guys
    08-25-15 06:10 AM
    The only real hurdle in terms of adoption for me.
    I need to be able to root the devices to at least have bit of control over my privacy on an Android phone.
    There's customisable/granular app permissions in Android 6.0
    08-25-15 07:35 AM
    People rooted the playbook dude.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    But never a BlackBerry BB10 phone. "Dude".
    extisis likes this.
    08-25-15 07:45 AM
    Xposed and Xprivacy allow me to send fake data to apps.
    From fake GPS positioning, over fake contacts and continue endlessly.

I cannot remove bloatware without root either.

Root is absolutely essential for me, when considering a private Android phone.
    My company provided me a HTC One that I use for quite some time now. How they secure this device (they do not allow WatsApp for example, because the app uploads contact data to their servers) is their thing.

If I decide to get a personal Android phone, how I'll secure my privacy (or better said, how to secure as much as I can) is sadly my issue.
    lift likes this.
    08-25-15 08:46 AM
    In case of the Venice not being rootable, I'll go to iOS.
    why would you think it's rootable? of course it is if it runs android... but with BBRY behind it- why do you expect that?
    lift likes this.
    08-25-15 08:52 AM
    it's funny how you're taking that "6.0" info like a sponge. just believe everything they say.
    lift likes this.
    08-25-15 08:54 AM
    it's funny how you're taking that "6.0" info like a sponge. just believe everything they say.
    Huh? You can download the marshmallow preview and see for yourself. Granular app permissions are there.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-25-15 09:12 AM
    Huh? You can download the marshmallow preview and see for yourself. Granular app permissions are there.

Posted via CB10
    Until Google realizes it isn't in their best interests and then removes it and says "oops, we didn't mean to release that option" just like they did before.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-25-15 09:21 AM
    why would you think it's rootable? of course it is if it runs android... but with BBRY behind it- why do you expect that?
    I don't expect anything.
    I set up a condition. If>then.

I'll wait for the release and within one week XDA will tell me what happens. If there is an e-fuse and I void my warranty through rooting, I won't buy it.

If I can't root it because of some software shenanigans, I won't buy it.

If I can root, I'll buy it.
    I do not think that I ever talked about expectations in here. Purely a If>Then clause.
    08-25-15 09:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    No.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 09:54 AM
    I don't expect anything.
    I set up a condition. If>then.

I'll wait for the release and within one week XDA will tell me what happens. If there is an e-fuse and I void my warranty through rooting, I won't buy it.

If I can't root it because of some software shenanigans, I won't buy it.

If I can root, I'll buy it.
    I do not think that I ever talked about expectations in here. Purely a If>Then clause.
    If you said it, you had to expect it. You Never heard of implications I imagine. Either way, I get Ya.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and lift like this.
    08-25-15 09:55 AM
    It's definitely going to be rootable, if there is current exploits that don't void warranty for the latest android version (5.xx) then think that the same will apply to the slider.

Though I don't know other manufacturers' implementation of how the phone shows its been rooted other then Samsung but assuming there is any relationship between the 2 I have a feeling that knox might be used..

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 10:19 AM
    It's definitely going to be rootable, if there is current exploits that don't void warranty for the latest android version (5.xx) then think that the same will apply to the slider.

Though I don't know other manufacturers' implementation of how the phone shows its been rooted other then Samsung but assuming there is any relationship between the 2 I have a feeling that knox might be used..

Posted via CB10
    No idea about other parts of the World but where I live (Europe), rooting does not void the warranty because the act of rooting itself, doesn't do any harm.

This is why I am curious about an efuse being used. When you root a device with an e-fuse, you void the warranty because the root now triggered a hardware fault.

If this isn't the case, then I wish them fun counting how often I gained root access, because this will not void the warranty, no matter how often I did.
    08-25-15 10:29 AM
    If you said it, you had to expect it. You Never heard of implications I imagine. Either way, I get Ya.

Posted via CB10
    I see where you come from, and I heard about implications, but it really was nothing more than talking about the options I would face, if the Slider truly comes with Android only.

If there's a BB10 version I will get that one, but for the general smartphone population, Android is obviously the better choice.
    08-25-15 10:31 AM
    What's funny? It is what it is. It's a fact that they introduce this improvement.

No.
    Posted via CB10
    You not willing to face the fact doesn't mean it's not happening. LOL

And anyway, you claimed Android doing this is being "late to the game" on the other thread.
    Too late to the game.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't this mean you recognise this improvement too? Or you wouldn't have claimed that this move it too late to the game.

And how are they late to the game? Android have made it so big and far even with compulsory app permissions. Just look at the numbers -% market share. With Android 6.0 allowing people to customize permissions, don't see how that's not gonna better their standing among consumers, and don't see how this is late to the game either.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-25-15 11:41 AM
    It's okay man, no matter what you say, Android is the great Satan to some people while BlackBerry is the bright guiding light.
    Cynycl likes this.
    08-25-15 11:44 AM
    Just look at the numbers -% market share.
    That just shows me that there are WAY too many people that have no clue just what android and it's apps collect about them. They use their computers and phones the same way. Like toasters. They turn them on and just do what they want with complete blindness as to what is necessary to run the devices in a secure and private manner, always using things in their default state and not wanting to learn anything about what is really going on.
    THAT is the only reason that android has such a large market share.
    08-25-15 11:47 AM
    That just shows me that there are WAY too many people that have no clue just what android and it's apps collect about them. They use their computers and phones the same way. Like toasters. They turn them on and just do what they want with complete blindness as to what is necessary to run the devices in a secure and private manner, always using things in their default state and not wanting to learn anything about what is really going on.
    THAT is the only reason that android has such a large market share.
    So you're saying Android's marketshare is due to the fact that people act like... people?
    08-25-15 11:55 AM
    It's okay man, no matter what you say, Android is the great Satan to some people while BlackBerry is the bright guiding light.
    I don't like unrooted Android on a very rational basis though.
    lift likes this.
    08-25-15 12:07 PM
    So you're saying Android's marketshare is due to the fact that people act like... people?
    I think he's saying that if only Blackberry had a default state that people would flock to Blackberry and then they would have the world's largest market share.

At least that's all I could make out aside from the anti android/google rhetoric
    08-25-15 01:08 PM
125 ... 2345