Hey All. Last fall I purchased a Blackberry Priv through Verizon and did not have the greatest experience with it. I had overheating and sluggish behavior so I returned the phone and bought the Note 7 (can't win ). I really did like the way the Blackberry features worked on the phone though so last week I bought another Priv from Amazon that said it would work on Verizon's network. Sure enough, I got the phone, installed my Sim and everything worked great. The phone updated quickly and was running Marshmallow which was different than the Lollipop version I had last fall. No overheating to speak of, great battery life and the user experience really won me over. On Friday I tried to use the mobile hotspot feature and it would not engage. I have this service available through my Verizon account so I called them about it. I was told that, since they didn't sell me the phone they couldn't guarantee that it would work with all features. I explained that voice and data seemed to work great so why not the hotspot feature. They were nice about it, but in the end I couldn't get it to work. I called the company that sold the phone through Amazon and (they were also nice) was basically told the same thing. So I've returned that phone

I checked with Verizon and I can still buy the Priv directly through them. It costs a bit more, but would be worth it to have the hotspot feature. My questions are for anyone who's using the Verizon variant of the Priv on the Verizon Network. First, can you use the mobile hotspot feature with the Priv? Second, has Verizon updated the phone to Marshmallow yet and, if so, how is your device working? And finally, would you recommend giving it another go?

Thanks for your help guys
    04-08-17 05:52 PM
    There are a few hotspot apps in the Play store. Try FoxFi maybe? Really, hardware shouldn't make a difference. Any wifi device can be used as a hotspot because of how it needs a recieving and transmitting antenna.

And, Yes! Verizon rolled out the Marshmallow update.
    04-08-17 08:44 PM
    There are a few hotspot apps in the Play store. Try FoxFi maybe? Really, hardware shouldn't make a difference. Any wifi device can be used as a hotspot because of how it needs a recieving and transmitting antenna.

And, Yes! Verizon rolled out the Marshmallow update.
    FoxFi does not seem to work on a Verizon Priv.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    04-08-17 09:29 PM
    I can verify that Hotspot does work on the Verizon issued Priv. My plan allows it and I have used it when my WiFi went out after a power outage and I wanted to use my laptop.
    bluesqueen23 and FF22 like this.
    04-08-17 09:47 PM
    I can verify that Hotspot does work on the Verizon issued Priv. My plan allows it and I have used it when my WiFi went out after a power outage and I wanted to use my laptop.
    I keep toying with the idea of abandoning TRUE UNlimited data and grabbing the new maybe-unlimited data and getting some of the extras like unlimited texting (I don't have any allowance) and wifi hotspot (I really don't use or need unlimited calling. When we had a power failure about a month ago, my trusty laptop had power but the router (wifi) was, of course, dead making it hard to ascertain why the power failure. A hotspot might have been nice. I did use the Priv itself but searching for the power company and then navigating around their map and reading various popups was a bit interesting on the small phone's screen.
    04-08-17 10:34 PM
    I keep toying with the idea of abandoning TRUE UNlimited data and grabbing the new maybe-unlimited data and getting some of the extras like unlimited texting (I don't have any allowance) and wifi hotspot (I really don't use or need unlimited calling. When we had a power failure about a month ago, my trusty laptop had power but the router (wifi) was, of course, dead making it hard to ascertain why the power failure. A hotspot might have been nice. I did use the Priv itself but searching for the power company and then navigating around their map and reading various popups was a bit interesting on the small phone's screen.
    I guess it really depends on your data usage. If you are on WiFi most of the time and don't use a whole lot of phone data, it doesn't seem like it would be worth losing out on some of the other network features that you could be using, just to resist giving up that old, grandfathered, unlimited plan that you don't really use. The nice thing that I have found , with the new Verizon plans, is that you can change your plan at anytime to adjust your data needs. For example, I have the 4gb plan that suits my wife and I very well most of the time. But, if we go out of town on vacation where we won't have access to much WiFi, I'll bump my plan up to 8gb and then reduce it again when we get home. Plus, Verizon now has carryover data each month. If you don't use it all, it gets added on to your allowance next month. Just something to think about.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-09-17 07:51 AM
    I also can confirm that the WiFi Hotspot works on Verizon priv. I use it very seldom but when I do its usually when I'm hurtling down the road in the back of an ambulance. Sometimes I need to sync patient info from our laptop to the bridge server so I don't have to reenter it. The only time it hasn't worked was right after they kicked in unlimited data and I didn't have it yet.
    04-09-17 08:15 AM
    I use the Hotspot on my Verizon Priv almost daily for use with my Laptop. Never have any issues. The only annoying part is sometimes when you press to turn the Hotspot on, it either doesn't slide over on first tap or is delayed. No major issue though.
    04-09-17 08:41 AM
    I guess it really depends on your data usage. If you are on WiFi most of the time and don't use a whole lot of phone data, it doesn't seem like it would be worth losing out on some of the other network features that you could be using, just to resist giving up that old, grandfathered, unlimited plan that you don't really use. The nice thing that I have found , with the new Verizon plans, is that you can change your plan at anytime to adjust your data needs. For example, I have the 4gb plan that suits my wife and I very well most of the time. But, if we go out of town on vacation where we won't have access to much WiFi, I'll bump my plan up to 8gb and then reduce it again when we get home. Plus, Verizon now has carryover data each month. If you don't use it all, it gets added on to your allowance next month. Just something to think about.
    I guess it comes down to not trusting Verizon. Existing phone plan and UNlimited data are both grandfathered. I wonder if Verizon will just end their new program/choices when it serves their interest. Actually, other than not having TEXT allowance, my plan is generally sufficient. A few friends give me crap because I don't text. Well, I do but mumble since each text costs me. Not that I can't afford the price!

Oh, question for you and others that use the Priv hotspot - how much of a hit on battery life does it take? Not that I would use it that often so it may not really matter.

Thanks.
    04-09-17 09:48 AM
    I guess it comes down to not trusting Verizon. Existing phone plan and UNlimited data are both grandfathered. I wonder if Verizon will just end their new program/choices when it serves their interest. Actually, other than not having TEXT allowance, my plan is generally sufficient. A few friends give me crap because I don't text. Well, I do but mumble since each text costs me. Not that I can't afford the price!

Oh, question for you and others that use the Priv hotspot - how much of a hit on battery life does it take? Not that I would use it that often so it may not really matter.

Thanks.
    I never really paid any attention to battery usage. I haven't used it that much.
    04-09-17 07:34 PM

Thanks.
    The new "unlimited" only allows for 10gb of hotspot data. On your plan, you can add truly unlimited hotspot use for $30 extra per month. You can also switch it on & off w/ a phone call to customer service at any time.
    04-09-17 07:43 PM
    The new "unlimited" only allows for 10gb of hotspot data. On your plan, you can add truly unlimited hotspot use for $30 extra per month. You can also switch it on & off w/ a phone call to customer service at any time.
    I guess one could then opt in and opt out as needed. I would imagine 10gb of hotspot data might be sufficient as a backup or when remote but cell works.

It may be time to finally give in and allow Verizon to win this one.

I wonder if there are still people who buy the original UNlimited data plans. It sounded a bit convoluted to sell them in trying to keep your number while changing plans all within verizon rules.
    04-09-17 09:09 PM
    I guess one could then opt in and opt out as needed. I would imagine 10gb of hotspot data might be sufficient as a backup or when remote but cell works.

It may be time to finally give in and allow Verizon to win this one.

I wonder if there are still people who buy the original UNlimited data plans. It sounded a bit convoluted to sell them in trying to keep your number while changing plans all within verizon rules.
    I gave up mine to help save my parents money. I put them on my plan & added an iPad and still saved money overall.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-09-17 09:44 PM
    I gave up mine to help save my parents money. I put them on my plan & added an iPad and still saved money overall.
    My calcs show that I would save approximately $5/month. Not a ton but I gain unlimited talk/text and modified-unlimited data. I have 300 minutes now and barely use that so unnecessary. I have no text and might use it more although currently I use email.

I've been mulling this since they announced this plan. I actually mulled the earlier limited plans but never made a move....
    04-09-17 10:48 PM
    I actually switched from the 15 gig to unlimited and I saved $13/ Mo on my bill.

When using the Priv as a hotspot after reaching 10 gb of hotspot use, Verizon will drop the hotspot coverage to 3G if there are many other Verizon customers in your area. That has been the case once in the past two months and it lasted about 5 minutes.

There are always many other Verizon customers around me also.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-10-17 05:50 AM
    Sorry,
    A bit off topic but has anyone tried using Story Maker on their Priv?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-17 06:42 AM
    Sorry,
    A bit off topic but has anyone tried using Story Maker on their Priv?

Posted via CB10
    No story maker like in BB10 but Google Photos will do something similar.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-10-17 07:23 AM