Tonight, after 48 hours with the lovely Priv, I decided to give the phone an overdue restart. It seems that with this restart, my T-Mobile SIM started to provision my Priv with T-Mobile "stuff". For the first time, I noticed that my phone tried to activate Wi-Fi calling (failed: REG99 error), and VOLTE is available.

But at the same time, MMS broke. I get the "Message Cannot be Downloaded" when someone sends me a picture message. And when I send one, "Message can't be sent". These are standard error messages for "broken" MMS.

I have done several reboots, turned wi-fi on, back off, on again, turned wi-fi calling on, back off, on again, etc. MMS is broken.

To top it off, I am unable to edit APN settings! I have never seen this with a T-Mobile SIM in my phone! Why can't I edit APN?

But here's the final bizarre thing: If I switch from Google Messenger to Textra as my SMS app, MMS works! So I started trying other SMS apps: Hangouts, GoPro, Hancent, Material Messaging, etc. They all fail on MMS, but Textra works. What on early can Textra do that the others can't? And what happened to my phone?

I'd be happy to stick with Textra, but Textra does not integrate well into Hub (new notifications don't show as yellow, they stay as gray).

Please help!

(Will also open ticket with BB.)
    11-12-15 09:53 PM
    Did you enable MMS in Hangouts and/or Messenger?
    11-12-15 10:08 PM
    Where is the setting to enable MMS in Messenger? I've used the Google Messenger app for a while now on several phones and never had to "enable" MMS anywhere. Maybe I missed something so simple?

Thanks.
    11-12-15 10:20 PM
    Where is the setting to enable MMS in Messenger? I've used the Google Messenger app for a while now on several phones and never had to "enable" MMS anywhere. Maybe I missed something so simple?

Thanks.
    11-12-15 10:21 PM

Thanks.
    I don't have my Nexus in front of me at the moment but look for something in settings "enable group mms" or something like that then give it another try. I know it exists in Hangouts.
    11-12-15 10:24 PM
    Call your provider and get them to disable HD Voice, for some reason this is the fix on AT&T and it may work on T-Mobile as well.

Z30'ing
    11-12-15 10:30 PM
    I don't have my Nexus in front of me at the moment but look for something in settings "enable group mms" or something like that then give it another try. I know it exists in Hangouts.
    Yeah, that'a on. Thanks.
    11-13-15 03:54 AM
    Call your provider and get them to disable HD Voice, for some reason this is the fix on AT&T and it may work on T-Mobile as well.

Z30'ing
    People are having this problem on AT&T? Do you have a link?
    11-13-15 03:54 AM
    So I was able to manually create a new APN and tried all sorts of alternative settings for t-mobile in there. Nothing worked. Textra still works with MMS, but doesn't work in Hub. All other SMS apps (even some that work in Hub like Evolve) fail on MMS.

At my wit's end.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-13-15 06:08 AM
    Non Priv specific, but the last time I had this issue, I had to call t-mo and they did "something" that sorted it. Also, did you get your wifi-calling working, it should.
    11-13-15 06:14 AM
    Non Priv specific, but the last time I had this issue, I had to call t-mo and they did "something" that sorted it. Also, did you get your wifi-calling working, it should.
    No, T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling won't work. Connects for a second, but then disappears again. I suspect it's a T-Mobile issue, but they refuse to help, because it's a "non-T-Mobile phone".

Going in for dreaded factory reset.
    11-13-15 06:40 AM
    If factory reset doesn't work, I'm going to call T-Mobile and tell them I'm using my Nexus 6.
    11-13-15 06:42 AM
    If factory reset doesn't work, I'm going to call T-Mobile and tell them I'm using my Nexus 6.
    OP go to device settings, Storage and delete Cached data, and reboot.
    11-13-15 06:48 AM
    Factory reset done. Waiting on restore, but Wi-Fi calling has stable connection now. Not going to touch device for 10 mins.
    11-13-15 06:52 AM
    OP go to device settings, Storage and delete Cached data, and reboot.
    Thanks. I did a factory reset. I imagine that accomplished the same thing? And more...?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-13-15 06:53 AM
    So, factory reset worked. MMS working properly. I'm now using Evolve SMS successfully with Hub. It integrates perfectly with Hub, looks much more professional, and it transitions from and back to Hub about 3 times as fast as Messenger.

Overall, I'm happy again.

Oh, and Wi-Fi calling seems to be fairly stable, but I'm leaving Wi-Fi off b/c I'm afraid of what it will do to MMS. I have unlimited LTE anyway.
    Mecca EL and AnimalPak200 like this.
    11-13-15 08:36 AM
    Thanks. I did a factory reset. I imagine that accomplished the same thing? And more...?
    Awesome!!! It's exciting to learn something new, and to actually solve a problem with your device.

A Cache wipe helps with corrupt app and system data. Maybe an installed app tweaked a host file. Anyway, congrats on finding a solution that doesn't require you plugging into a computer using an autoloader.
    11-13-15 08:59 AM
    Awesome!!! It's exciting to learn something new, and to actually solve a problem with your device.

A Cache wipe helps with corrupt app and system data. Maybe an installed app tweaked a host file. Anyway, congrats on finding a solution that doesn't require you plugging into a computer using an autoloader.
    It definitely wasn't an app, because I didn't install anything new. I think T-Mobile tried to provision my phone with Wi-Fi Calling after a reboot and something got messed up.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-13-15 09:43 AM
    So with MMS being broken, did it effect your ability to group text message?
    I remember when I had my Z10 with Tmo it was kind of a hassle to group chat through text. Kept having to switch the text settings to MMS only to be able to respond and chat within a group text message. I left for Verizon and don't have to tinker with anything and am able to group chat with more than 10+ people at a time. Tmo limited it to -10.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 10:03 AM
    Giving Evolve a try, I hate Messenger.

As for WiFi calling, I left it on but changed its preferences to a last resort by setting "Cellular Preferred". Now it will only attempt to use WiFi calling when I have no signal.
    11-13-15 10:23 AM
    Uh-oh. I wonder if they're reading carrier settings from the SIM like the iPhone and not allowing edits in some cases. Where did you get your PRIV? Is it direct from Shop BlackBerry?
    11-13-15 10:26 AM
    It definitely wasn't an app, because I didn't install anything new. I think T-Mobile tried to provision my phone with Wi-Fi Calling after a reboot and something got messed up.
    Makes sense. Those numbskulls couldn't provision a TV dinner.
    Dave Liao likes this.
    11-13-15 10:49 AM
    I remember when I had my Z10 with Tmo it was kind of a hassle to group chat through text. Kept having to switch the text settings to MMS only to be able to respond and chat within a group text message. I left for Verizon and don't have to tinker with anything and am able to group chat with more than 10+ people at a time. Tmo limited it to -10.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Group is also MMS so it was broken too. It's fixed now, per my post above.
    11-13-15 10:57 AM
    Uh-oh. I wonder if they're reading carrier settings from the SIM like the iPhone and not allowing edits in some cases. Where did you get your PRIV? Is it direct from Shop BlackBerry?
    Shop BB, and yes it seems they are.
    11-13-15 10:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    This was exactly the reason why I switched from my Q10 to a Windows Phone. I hated how I had to manually switch from SMS to MMS. It's also why I never got the Passport or Classic. I was afraid this issue would still be there.

But since the Priv is using Android, I pre-ordered one on the assumption that MMS wouldn't be an issue anymore. When my phone get here on Tuesday, I'm going to have to test it thoroughly. Here's hoping I won't have to return the Priv and get the Lumia 950 instead.
    11-13-15 03:51 PM
58 123