Wow, this is a bottomless put of trouble. DTEK and MM in general give lots of options for monitoring and changing permissions, but you cannot do anything if you have an app using the overlay permission (and MANY do).

Turning overlay off makes many apps not function properly and in the case of the productivity tab, not at all.

Plus, you have to reset to get overlay changes to take effect.

Big issue. Makes DTEK almost unusable.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-28-16 08:37 AM
    Yes, for it to really work... developer have to go the extra step and make their app compliant to the new guidelines.

Some don't want to, some just haven't taken the time to.

DTEK can tell you something is happening, and you will have to decide if you trust that developer, or not to use their app. Easy if there are 100 copy cat apps, not so easy if they have the best or only app of that type.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-28-16 08:46 AM
    Ah. So it is a matter of compatibility by the developer.

I have probably fifteen apps that have overlay permission. Most of them must have that permission turned off to make other permission changes. And then they don't work right.

I made the mistake of resetting all permissions. Nothing works right and when I try to grant the permissions as they pop up, I hit the overlay permission trap. So I've had to do this exercise multiple times and found that I installing and reinstalling apps was sometimes the easiest way.

Oh, and now it keeps "updating" all of the bloat that I painstakingly disable or uninstall... over, and over. HAhA this is nuts.

A further issue is that I do not see any way to reach the overlay permission through menus unless the phone alerts you that there is a problem. I've had to purposely install an app with overlay, Velis, just to get to the overlay permissions!!! Wow. EDIT: FOUND IT (see below).

Last edited by CharlieV; 07-28-16 at 09:39 AM.
    07-28-16 08:55 AM
    Well, BB has a knowledge base answer...

To complete the set up of the application permissions, disable the Draw over other apps feature for the enabled application by following these steps:
    Open Settings
    Select Apps
    Tap the Gear icon
    Select Draw over other apps
    Select the application that is running in the background
    Turn Off Permit drawing over other apps
    Close and reopen the application
    Set the application permission
    Once the application permissions have been set, the Permit drawing over other apps may be re-enabled.

Note: Android OS 6.0.1 build AAF518 and later allows the option to temporarily turn off the screen overly for 2 minutes. To turn off the screen overlay for 2 minutes, complete the following;
    Open Settings
    Select Apps
    Tap the Gear icon
    Select Draw over other apps
    Enable Temporarily turn off overlays
    Close and reopen the application
    Set the application permission
    Note: The productivity tab will cease to appear once this has been disabled as it uses screen overlay to function.

This really doesn't work, though, because the list of apps shows several that are a "yes" then when you go to the app's permission, it is grayed out (and set at no).

Also, I don't have the temporary disabling option. That would, indeed, be nice.

At least now I know how to get to the overlay screen without installing an app.
    07-28-16 09:21 AM
    Well, this turned into such a frustrating exercise that I just factory reset the phone. I'll be noting whether EACH added app has overly and then messes up my ability to change permissions on other apps. What a PITA.

My avatar reflects my true feelings, for once.

Dunt, I note your post count and consistent contributions to Crackberry, and appreciate your attention to my issue.

Best,

Charlie V
    07-28-16 09:35 AM
    It's the productivity tab which is causing your problem. Disable the screen overlay in that program. Then you can make all the changes you want. The you will have to reactivate the screen overlay for the productivity tab in order to use.

Posted by with my BlackBerry Priv
    07-28-16 02:36 PM
    Ah. Well it is done.

I suspect that greenify is a problem too. But I am addicted to it, especially since it implements the Android N doze on the go scheme.

07-28-16 03:43 PM