HELP!

I'm beyond frustrated with my PRIV.

I've been a Blackberry devote' for a MILLION years. I get made fun of from everyone when they see how die-hard I am for BB.

I'm starting to think it's time to walk away and go with a different Android phone.

I unplug my phone from charging and within an hour my phone goes from 100% down to maybe 80% without even using it. Then and hour later at about 60% and on and on. It's also very hot. It's also now started re-booting itself in the evening for what reason? No idea.

I don't like the look of the Key2 I'm not looking for an exposed keyboard.

Does a factory reset wipe out everything on my phone? Text messages and contacts? I really need my texts for work to stay. I also think one reason for my issue is an update of sms put a newer and fancier text features and it's been slow and wonky. I want my old sms back. WHERE DID IT GO!

I'm so miserable. I've had two phone calls today averaging 5 minutes each and it's 1pm... phone is at 40%

I'm not super tech savvy so any remedial pointers are helpful.

Any suggestions for me? I can't take the draining issues anymore. It's been happening off and on for a couple of years.

Last edited by Erica Melone; 09-17-19 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Adding On
    09-17-19 09:57 AM
    If you haven't already you could try a factory reset, but the Priv is blessed with the combination of a horrible CPU design, a battery from four years ago, and no software updates since 2017. No guarantees a format would help.
    Erica Melone likes this.
    09-17-19 09:59 AM
    HELP!

I'm beyond frustrated with my PRIV.

I've been a Blackberry devote' for a MILLION years. I get made fun of from everyone when they see how die-hard I am for BB.

I'm starting to think it's time to walk away and go with a different Android phone.

I unplug my phone from charging and within an hour my phone goes from 100% down to maybe 80% without even using it. Then and hour later at about 60% and on and on. It's also very hot. It's also now started re-booting itself in the evening for what reason? No idea.

I don't like the look of the Key2 I'm not looking for an exposed keyboard.

Any suggestions for me? I can't take the draining issues anymore. It's been happening off and on for a couple of years.

I have loved using the PRIV even with its flaws. Do try the factory reset outlined above. I hope it works for you. If you are on T-Mobile there is an option you can try: When I got my KEYone, I set up my PRIV with a T-Mobile Digits account so I could continue to use it. (briefly, with Digits you can have more than one phone so it rings on the same number; there are other options as well). Now I am using the KEY2. I still use my PRIV on Wi-Fi at home and all the apps work but use my KEY2 as my daily driver (my digits account is on my KEYone).
    PS: With the lighter usage on my Priv it had less issues.
    PPS: have you tried the 32+ second reboot? I did that on a regular basis on my Priv when it started to slow down etc (I have had it since release). This really helps. This is when you hold the power button down for a count of at least 32 seconds (ignoring when it wants to start). Then let it go through the full start process. Also clear the cache (I do that first).
    I hope this helps.
    Erica Melone likes this.
    09-17-19 11:54 AM
    Does a reset wipe out texts and contacts???
    09-17-19 12:05 PM
    I went from a PRIV to a Key2. It's a GREAT transition.
    I believe you would be very pleased despite the different look.
    Sigewif and Erica Melone like this.
    09-17-19 12:06 PM
    Did you use the keyboard on the PRIV?
    I find that the touchscreen on the PRIV is awesome and I never use the keyboard. Do you feel like the screen is so much smaller now?
    Rico4you likes this.
    09-17-19 12:20 PM
    Text, yes.

Your contacts will repopulate after you setup your Google account
    Erica Melone likes this.
    09-17-19 12:22 PM
    The factory reset does but not the 32+ second reboot.
    Erica Melone likes this.
    09-17-19 12:40 PM
    Did you use the keyboard on the PRIV?
    I find that the touchscreen on the PRIV is awesome and I never use the keyboard. Do you feel like the screen is so much smaller now?
    I have mostly used the physical keyboard. The KEY2 has a great physical keyboard. I like the PRIV pkb better than the KEYone, but like the KEY2 keyboard best. I love the PRIV form factor but have gotten used to the smaller screen. The whole unit just functions better than the PRIV. I will say it here that my "dream phone" would be a PRIV2. But I am quite pleased with my KEY2.
    If you mostly use the BlackBerry virtual keyboard, perhaps you can track down a BlackBerry Motion. It didn't sell very well but I think it was an underrated device. It is a somewhat older device but it came out after the KEYone.
    09-17-19 12:51 PM
    The 32 second reboot really seemed to cool it off.... I hope this helps the draining issue for a while. I feel like every few months I go through this all over again.
    I don't know what I expect from a 5 year old phone. It just might be time to move on until a new bb device that I like comes out.
    dy1217 likes this.
    09-17-19 05:42 PM
    The 32 second reboot really seemed to cool it off.... I hope this helps the draining issue for a while. I feel like every few months I go through this all over again.
    I don't know what I expect from a 5 year old phone. It just might be time to move on until a new bb device that I like comes out.
    Now that you did the 32 second reboot, clear all the app caches at once by going to "settings" , "storage and USB" , "cached data" and then when it says "this will clear cached data for all apps" press "OK" .

If these things did not help, I do recommend Wiping the device and backing up your text messages with the app "SMS Backup and Restore" from Google Play Store by the developer SyncTec Pty.

I have my contacts synced up to the cloud so I cannot help you with a good backup app solution for contacts unfortunately. Consider syncing them to the cloud in the future.
    Erica Melone likes this.
    09-17-19 07:06 PM
    That is good to hear. I do a 32 second reboot probably about once a week when it seems to be getting sluggish or has the symptoms you mentioned. As mentioned above, clearing the cache really helps as well. If you have any apps you don't use or need, deleting them can help too.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 09-18-19 at 12:32 PM.
    Erica Melone likes this.
    09-18-19 02:02 AM
    If the 32 second reboot doesn't fix it in the long run, then it might be time to replace the battery?
    Erica Melone likes this.
    09-18-19 07:56 AM
    When your battery is unexpectedly low, go to Settings - Battery to see if there is one app that is causing most of the battery drain.
    Erica Melone, Rico4you and Sigewif like this.
    09-18-19 11:37 AM
    HI

With regards to your texts and contacts you may need to back-up your PRIV to be able to retrieve all.

As to the draining and your PRIV running hot I can share my own exxperience with you on this.

This started to happen my PRIV and soon after (a few weeks later) the phone develop a "dead black screen". I'm now no longer able to use it and, the repair is out of the question due to the cost outlay. Also, no geniune BlackBerry repair service available!

I can only hope you'll not have this with your PRIV??
    Erica Melone likes this.
    09-18-19 12:38 PM
    See how full your drive is. Maybe uninstall some apps and pictures.
    That helped mine considerably in that respect, back before it bricked.
    Erica Melone likes this.
    09-18-19 01:07 PM
    I just did the cached data thing.. went from 1.74 GB to 19.83 MB is that good?
    09-18-19 03:11 PM
    that's perfect! I always clear my cache when it gets over 600Mb. Almost 2Gb that you had, wow. that's one reason you had some of the issues I would guess. mine gets very laggy over 1Gb.
    Erica Melone likes this.
    09-18-19 05:34 PM
    I just did the cached data thing.. went from 1.74 GB to 19.83 MB is that good?
    Sounds good to me since you just freed up almost 2GB of space.

However, I’m no IT guy so I’ll let the experts comment.
    Erica Melone likes this.
    09-18-19 07:10 PM
    @Erica I'm still using my PRIV. I'm one of those picky people that need the phone to be working well all the time.

Every 6 months or so I backup my sms, contacts and password keeper (nothing on the cloud). While I'm not app crazy, I have a fair share.

I proceed to use an autoloader and restore everything. It's a bit annoying but my PRIV is still going strong after almost 3 years.
    Erica Melone and Jake2826 like this.
    09-18-19 08:52 PM
    That was the problem I had this past month. About a year or so ago, I bought a new Priv at a very discounted price, in advance of the first Priv's end of life. The new one is not running hot, nor losing its charge. If you love the Priv , check to see if there are any new o es available on ebay.I got 3 years out of my first one. Hoping for at least another 2 years on this one.
    09-20-19 09:33 PM
    Since you describe yourself as "not super tech savvy," I might recommend the app Pulse SMS for texting. I like it because I can text from my desktop and other devices as well as my Priv. You might (also) like it, however, because it automatically backs up all your SMS messages. Because my texts are backed up with Pulse, emails and contacts backed up in the cloud, and apps easily reinstallable through the Play store, a reset isn't that big a deal (just make sure you have all your passwords and recognize you may have to once again tweak various app settings to make them the way you like them). I probably reset my Priv about once a year.
    09-26-19 01:04 PM
    I loved My Priv but the micro USB went bad and a fix failed...

it you add VERY FEW extra apps and run it judiciously, it can be a great phone again...

first you MUST:

Back up your Calendar, Tasks, Notes (especially, I use the "share" to Google Keep done one at a time), and copy ALL files, folders, documents, and photos/videos to either a microSD card (which is NOT wiped during re-set) or else to a cloud backup...

Second: take a screenshot of each homepage so you can set it up the same again... it will be reset.

Third: download and install BlackBerry Content Transfer app (free on Google Play store) and run it which conserves MOST of your stuff...

make note of any passwords you need so they don't gut lost... make certain you have your BlackBerry ID and password !!!

on Than run the factory reservation routine and your phone will be set as it was the day it left the factory but with the current and latest Google Version you had on it... likely Marshmallow (6)...

When you finish entering tye BlackBerry setup as the phone restarts, first install and run the BlackBerry Content Transfer (follow the instructions carefully from the get-go for that and make certain the transfer was stored on your removable microSD memory card) ...by then way, make sure it is set as external removable memory !!!

Most of your stuff will restore itself. in Hub you likely will need to enter your email info again and all your email will be there.

Google will reinstall all your apps from Play Store automatically... depending how many, it can take minutes to hour's... connect to WiFi so you don't use up phone data or you can set Google play app to only use wifi...

you will be shocked how much better the phone works...

it you never updated the Android, the old version will still be there, but you can update it free from BlackBerry via the System Update in SETTINGS... best to do that first but a System Upgrade (from one Version of Android, only happened ONCE to Priv) does NOT wipe anything off your phone at all.

System update in Settings will get any security updates or a System Upgrade which does NOT wipe. do NOT confuse this with a Factory Reservoir which wipes everything clean on the handset (but does not touch the external microSD memory card).

good luck !!
    09-27-19 11:55 AM
    It's Oct 2019 and use my PRIV daily. (Besides my KEY2 Red Edition)
    with regards to my PRIV.
    1. Clear cache daily
    2. Download Taskmanager by Bytehamster from playstore. use this app daily to "stop/kill" app working in background
    3. Social media like Facebook / Instagram are battery / processor hungry. Uninstall and use browser
    4 Check that you have good cell provider coverage. If it's low it drains resource
    5 Disable location and only use if needed. It's a huge resource hog

Í love the the PRIV amazing screen, it's accurate keyboard and the overall form factor.

Good luck
    09-27-19 05:47 PM
    It's Oct 2019 and use my PRIV daily. (Besides my KEY2 Red Edition)
    with regards to my PRIV.
    1. Clear cache daily
    2. Download Taskmanager by Bytehamster from playstore. use this app daily to "stop/kill" app working in background
    3. Social media like Facebook / Instagram are battery / processor hungry. Uninstall and use browser
    4 Check that you have good cell provider coverage. If it's low it drains resource
    5 Disable location and only use if needed. It's a huge resource hog

Í love the the PRIV amazing screen, it's accurate keyboard and the overall form factor.

Good luck
    This is a helpful. I hadn't heard of Taskmanager by Bytehamster before. That would really help, I think.
    Rico4you likes this.
    10-05-19 11:15 AM
36 12