Good day Priv team, is there any news on Marshmallow updates? Since the Lollipop wouldn't let you decide the application boot when you start your device. Some of the apps don't need to boot when i'm not gonna use it, so, in the other hand, it can save quite many of the system running memory so it can help with the device to running more smooth and effective. the first time i start my Priv and all boots are done, the memory will left only around 750MB, the system will take something around 1.1GB, so there are not many of the memory space left for the apps you installed and it will show shortage when you have multiple apps not been kill but stored at the background. and we all know that the memory management or we can say the memory retrieve system on andorid is not as good as ios, and so does the background management. and yes i know there's a timer on andorid also for those background saved apps as a condition of system judgement to see when to kill it on the thread but still left a mapping at the background.
    03-05-16 07:02 AM
    BTW, Priv team, you've been doing a so good job on Lollipop updates. thank you.
    03-05-16 07:03 AM
    The BlackBerry staff hvae been very helpful and responsive. The one thing that they have made clear is that they are not able to disclose info about the M (or similar) timelines.

I strongly suggest we stop asking, lest they get tired of the same questions repeated over and over, and visit the Forums less frequently!
    03-05-16 07:45 AM
    Elessar,

Correct and really, who knows. There was a rumor that we would at least hear during MWC but no news. That would lead me to believe that BlackBerry is having a more difficult time getting it to where they want it to be. I for one would rather they take their time rather than release it half baked.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Wezard, ArGinGerEm, Jrox74 and 1 others like this.
    03-05-16 11:58 AM
    If BlackBerry has few employees here running around asking logs and fixing problems then they must be either short of people, desperately disorganized or just not really serious with updates. This Priv debacle start feels like BlackBerry 10 launch with slow learning curve and when the platform matures, BlackBerry will already lost interest and peddling for another adventure. God knows after abandoning your own flesh and blood/bb10, then android, next year they probably using Jolla or whatnots.

glenard likes this.
    03-05-16 09:46 PM
    It's just lollipop is getting eat up on the Ram, and there's no way can manage the boot up here. And marshmallow have at least as Google claimed optimize on the system running and occupancy of resources reducing. I'm not sure how optimized it could be, but from the info that I'm having from some chip vendors, it's better than lollipop. So, that's why I'm asking. If it bothers, please just ignore it. 😃😃😃
    03-06-16 09:54 AM
    I will only chime in to say I will appreciate better more granular control over app PERMISSIONS.
    03-06-16 11:48 AM
    Yep.

Android has always been a flaming mess folks, and probably always will be. If you want to see how bad it really is grab a copy of AOSP (it's freely available) and dig around in the source. You'll be astonished at how poorly documented it is internally (e.g. comments) and once you start trying to unravel things you'll do much hair-pulling (of your own.)

Memory leaks and similar misbehavior are just part of it. That it has "won" in the consumer's mind is a triumph of marketing over common sense, which happens all the time. But this means that having an Android device means rebooting it every couple of days (if not more often) or you start to see "odd" things happen -- unlike BB10 that just runs for weeks at a time without any problems at all. In fact, with 10.3.2 I never intentionally reset my Passport. You can't get away with that with Android.

Will M fix any of that? Probably not. But granular app permissions are a really, really big deal, and will put a big dent in the privacy-invading aspect of virtually every app you load, MANY of which grab location on an every 5-minute basis and right now all you can do is shut location off in the phone ITSELF to stop it -- which of course only works when you don't NEED location on (e.g. to use maps, etc)
    03-06-16 12:10 PM
    If BlackBerry has few employees here running around asking logs and fixing problems then they must be either short of people, desperately disorganized or just not really serious with updates. This Priv debacle start feels like BlackBerry 10 launch with slow learning curve and when the platform matures, BlackBerry will already lost interest and peddling for another adventure. God knows after abandoning your own flesh and blood/bb10, then android, next year they probably using Jolla or whatnots.

I think the opposite, i am happy to see a few BBRY folks taking a serious look at the broad user base on Crackberry who actually cares about specific functionality and UI improvements...they should have used CB as a test and debug platform long ago...it might have even saved BBOS10 from being such a sh1tshow at launch - very happy to see them actively on the forums.
    fanisk and Jrox74 like this.
    03-06-16 02:01 PM
    Blackberry said there would be an announcement sometime in the 1st quarter on when Marshmallow would be available. So an announcement about when the update is coming should be sometime this month.
    03-06-16 02:08 PM
    The BlackBerry staff hvae been very helpful and responsive. The one thing that they have made clear is that they are not able to disclose info about the M (or similar) timelines.

I strongly suggest we stop asking, lest they get tired of the same questions repeated over and over, and visit the Forums less frequently!
    Repeatedly talking about BB10 in the Priv section and nobody bats an eye. Ask one question about Marshmallow and everybody loses their minds.
    03-06-16 10:11 PM
    Blackberry said there would be an announcement sometime in the 1st quarter on when Marshmallow would be available. So an announcement about when the update is coming should be sometime this month.
    You mean how BlackBerry claimed Priv would be available on all US carriers by end of 2015?

I wouldn't count on it...
    03-07-16 12:42 AM
    End of Q1 for announcement. The actual update could be light years ahead. We have seen this before, BlackBerry has bad reputation on promises.

03-07-16 04:59 AM
    Elessar,

Correct and really, who knows. There was a rumor that we would at least hear during MWC but no news. That would lead me to believe that BlackBerry is having a more difficult time getting it to where they want it to be. I for one would rather they take their time rather than release it half baked.

Or it could be in carrier testing which is the latest RUMOR. Who knows.

From my Tower of Power Q5
    03-07-16 06:49 AM
    Yep.

Android has always been a flaming mess folks, and probably always will be. If you want to see how bad it really is grab a copy of AOSP (it's freely available) and dig around in the source. You'll be astonished at how poorly documented it is internally (e.g. comments) and once you start trying to unravel things you'll do much hair-pulling (of your own.)

Memory leaks and similar misbehavior are just part of it. That it has "won" in the consumer's mind is a triumph of marketing over common sense, which happens all the time. But this means that having an Android device means rebooting it every couple of days (if not more often) or you start to see "odd" things happen -- unlike BB10 that just runs for weeks at a time without any problems at all. In fact, with 10.3.2 I never intentionally reset my Passport. You can't get away with that with Android.

Will M fix any of that? Probably not. But granular app permissions are a really, really big deal, and will put a big dent in the privacy-invading aspect of virtually every app you load, MANY of which grab location on an every 5-minute basis and right now all you can do is shut location off in the phone ITSELF to stop it -- which of course only works when you don't NEED location on (e.g. to use maps, etc)
    i agree with the memory part. every couple of day i was been forced to reboot my device. and indeed, after the latest upgrade on my colleague's passport, it shows no way that you can feel the device getting slow. the memory management is really a mess. and as for the app permission stuff, marshmallow open it up, at least it can help a little on the occupancy of resources at the system layer.
    03-07-16 06:50 AM
    we will get Android M when Android N comes out
    03-07-16 10:11 AM
    End of Q1 for announcement. The actual update could be light years ahead. We have seen this before, BlackBerry has bad reputation on promises.
    Well, at least they keep their promise with the monthly updates. The last 3 months that update was out even before Google pushed out theirs.
    so crow likes this.
    03-07-16 01:38 PM
    I'll take the contrary point of view and hope they take their time to QC and do a thorough shakedown of the OS implementation. I think we take it for granted that our units (well, at least mine) are by in large pretty stable.

I have bad memories of botched versions of Eclair, Froyo, and Gingerbread causing various issues on my previous devices.
    mbirth likes this.
    03-08-16 04:12 PM
    I'll take the contrary point of view and hope they take their time to QC and do a thorough shakedown of the OS implementation. I think we take it for granted that our units (well, at least mine) are by in large pretty stable.

I have bad memories of botched versions of Eclair, Froyo, and Gingerbread causing various issues on my previous devices.
    Agreed. BlackBerry, don't screw up my Priv!! It's working quite well and I would hate to go through the initial aggravation of a new os again! Polish and refinement please. The few benefits it brings won't be worth a ton of hassle.

Enjoying the Priv
    mbirth likes this.
    03-08-16 06:10 PM
    BTW, OP. You can get granular permission for apps with an app, I use advanced Permissions. It may not be as granular as you want, but after you fine tune, you can choose what apps open at start and access your location. It does require you reinstall the app. I wouldn't recommend putting them on the SD card at the moment, though.

Enjoying the Priv
    03-08-16 06:15 PM
    BTW, OP. You can get granular permission for apps with an app, I use advanced Permissions. It may not be as granular as you want, but after you fine tune, you can choose what apps open at start and access your location. It does require you reinstall the app. I wouldn't recommend putting them on the SD card at the moment, though.

Enjoying the Priv
    when my dead Priv comes back to live, i'll have a try, thanks.
    03-08-16 08:29 PM
    i love the phone but heating and battery is an issue. no Marshmallow update yet? shame on BB. if they want to do proper business they must act like competition. most of FLAGships got the update.
    03-10-16 10:21 AM
    Has this been posted yet?
    Marshmallow updates-1457627042886_348049_edit.jpeg

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    03-10-16 10:26 AM
    Has this been posted yet?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1457627042886_348049_edit.jpeg 
Views:	837 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	393782

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    Yes
    03-10-16 10:38 AM
    i love the phone but heating and battery is an issue. no Marshmallow update yet? shame on BB. if they want to do proper business they must act like competition. most of FLAGships got the update.
    Even Samsung who is known to be the last manufacturer to release OS updates got Marshmallow on their Note 5 / S6 Edge+

Shame on BlackBerry really
    03-10-16 10:48 AM
50 12