I ordered a Priv last week on that DailySteals sale. I'm excited to get it, and from what I'm hearing Marshmallow really enhances the experience.

I've read a couple posts, though, that say that since AT&T controls the updates on my AT&T-branded phone, attempting to update whilst using a T-Mobile SIM won't let me. Is this true? If so, if I pop in a friend's AT&T SIM for just a couple minutes to update it, will that work?

I hear it's also a possibility to sideload the update like we can for BB10 releases, but I'd like to keep my phone as official/'vanilla' as possible; I've even made a promise to myself to only install apps from Google Play Store, not any potentially shifty .apks.
    04-26-16 09:08 PM
    I've read a couple posts, though, that say that since AT&T controls the updates on my AT&T-branded phone, attempting to update whilst using a T-Mobile SIM won't let me. Is this true? If so, if I pop in a friend's AT&T SIM for just a couple minutes to update it, will that work?
    Yes. Yes.
    c1ferret likes this.
    04-26-16 09:12 PM
    I ordered a Priv last week on that DailySteals sale. I'm excited to get it, and from what I'm hearing Marshmallow really enhances the experience.

I hear it's also a possibility to sideload the update like we can for BB10 releases, but I'd like to keep my phone as official/'vanilla' as possible; I've even made a promise to myself to only install apps from Google Play Store, not any potentially shifty .apks.
    You can only update your unlocked At&t Priv via a active At&t sim. Sideloading an update at this time is not possible.

Posted via the Priv on the CrackBerry App
    04-26-16 09:26 PM
    You can only update your unlocked At&t Priv via a active At&t sim. Sideloading an update at this time is not possible.

Maybe by sideloading they are speaking of using an autoloader which, most likely, is what their future in regards to updates will hold...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-26-16 09:48 PM
    Maybe by sideloading they are speaking of using an autoloader which, most likely, is what their future in regards to updates will hold...

Sorry, that's what I meant--couldn't remember the right word.

Does the AT&T SIM need have data enabled, or can any AT&T SIM work, as long as I have wi-fi enabled?
    CivilDissident likes this.
    04-26-16 10:06 PM

He's going to have to wait for the At&t Marshmallow autoloader then. Won't be able to use any other autoloader except for the att branded version on his phone.

04-26-16 10:12 PM
    He's going to have to wait for the At&t Marshmallow autoloader then. Won't be able to use any other autoloader except for the att branded version on his phone.

Yep manual installs only, but at least a gateway of some sort for not only the Mighty Marshmallow, but for security patches as well... Better than being stuck in OS purgatory...

04-26-16 10:17 PM
    Yes. Yes.
    Will need to borrow that sim for longer than a few minutes!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    04-26-16 10:23 PM
    Why do you say that?
    04-26-16 11:03 PM
    MM will take longer than a few minutes to download. So you will need to borrow one for around an hour or more depending on your wifi speed
    04-26-16 11:13 PM

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    Not really. The SIM is only to check carrier. Technically, you can start the download with WiFi enabled, pop the sim out while it's downloading and give it back. But that all implies faith in the fact the download will complete and not be interrupted at some point thus requiring the use of the SIM card again to re-initialize the download. But whatevs..
    04-26-16 11:36 PM
    Now I wish I did better research then, I also hopped on the Dailysteals deal and I'm on TMobile. This honestly feels like a massive middlefinger to the consumer and a horrible stupid slip by BB, having an "unlocked" phone but locking out such crucial features as security updates the very thing this phone's selling point is. With Sprint backing out and what feels like an AT&T "fire sale", should they drop supporting the phone that leaves us all screwed out of a device. I had a feeling it was a bad idea to jump on that deal, now this is just reaffirming it. Now I'm contemplating if I should eat my loss and sell this phone on eBay and take a deeper hit getting it through shopblackberry like I should have, or deal with this ridiculous bootleg sideloading/autoloader deal. I hate to say it but BB officially blew their Android prospects.
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    04-27-16 02:34 AM
    Now I wish I did better research then, I also hopped on the Dailysteals deal and I'm on TMobile. This honestly feels like a massive middlefinger to the consumer and a horrible stupid slip by BB, having an "unlocked" phone but locking out such crucial features as security updates the very thing this phone's selling point is. With Sprint backing out and what feels like an AT&T "fire sale", should they drop supporting the phone that leaves us all screwed out of a device. I had a feeling it was a bad idea to jump on that deal, now this is just reaffirming it. Now I'm contemplating if I should eat my loss and sell this phone on eBay and take a deeper hit getting it through shopblackberry like I should have, or deal with this ridiculous bootleg sideloading/autoloader deal. I hate to say it but BB officially blew their Android prospects.
    You can always update via an autoloader when it's released for your att phone

04-27-16 09:05 AM
    You can always update via an autoloader when it's released for your att phone
    I know I can but it's such a pain. I use to do it for every decent leak for the Z10 and Z30, which I did when I went to sleep since the annoying part is really the restoring all your data. I just did the autoloader today on my Priv since it looks like the OS it shipped with is way out of date, 3 hours in and still restoring and I come to find Blackberry's back up and restore does a far better job than android's since looks like all my contacts are gone, txt messages aren't backed up, and few other things. Beside that, the issue I have is if AT&T is controlling the updates how can I feel assured they'll continue to do so, that say after next week they drop all support, and AT&T has been horrible in the past about pushing blackberry updates, if I remember correctly it took them almost over a year to get their Z10s to 10.2.
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    04-27-16 01:00 PM
    I bought the same AT&T unlocked version too. Starting to regret it a little since amazon selling it now for $500.

But, since it's a STV100-1, wouldn't any autoloader of that same version work for it?!

04-27-16 01:30 PM
    I bought the same AT&T unlocked version too. Starting to regret it a little since amazon selling it now for $500.

But, since it's a STV100-1, wouldn't any autoloader of that same version work for it?!

No, it has to be the At&t version of the autoloader. You try any other and it will make your phone a nice paperweight

04-27-16 01:52 PM
    Smh. Guess I'll impatiently wait for Ms AT&T

04-27-16 05:16 PM
    Im totally in the same boat as you. Bought an unlocked Priv not realizing it was at&t branded and now could be caught in os purgatory... At the mercy of at&t's bb apathy. Whats even worse is that im in Canada so im completely dependent on autoloaders!

Dont have the phone yet. Its on a fedex plane on its way from Miami. Ive tried cancelling the order from amazon.ca but i dont know if its too late...
    04-29-16 09:17 PM