Man this "review" is such %#$@$# it's not even funny.

Review: The Priv is BlackBerry?s best phone in years ? but is it too*late? - The Globe and Mail

Now here is what irritates me to know this guy as such hate towards BB:

Priv runs the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, which is almost exactly one year old. Lollipop can be found on most of this year’s best-selling Android phones from Samsung, Huawei and Lenovo. But of course the Priv is arriving now when some of the very latest high-end Android devices are also going on sale, like Google’s Nexus 6P that runs on the newer Android 6 Marshmallow edition.

Not only is the software a year old, but I was curious as to why an $899 phone released in late 2015 is using a processor first released in early 2014. There is some suggestion that the Priv’s Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 Hexa-Core may actually be a little less prone to overheating than the newer more powerful Snapdragon 810. But the aforementioned Nexus 6P runs on the 810, for instance.

Ummm the Snapdragon 808 was announced in 2014 but wasn't used until 2015!!!!!!!!!!

These are the phones released this year with the 808:

BB Priv
    Lumia 950
    LG V10
    Nexus 5x
    Moto Pure Edition
    LG G4

So what his is damn problem!!!!???? All flagships this year!!!!

What is wrong with Lollipop 5.1.1??? He talks like its some major con like it's kit kat or something.

Also:
    So, what don’t I like? This is the newest device from BlackBerry and it’s priced like an iPhone (you could get the new iPhone 6S for $899, the 16-GB version). If you’re a hardcore Crackberry-type, you’ll say “so what?”

The iPhone 6s for 899 the same price as the priv but hello that iPhone is very low specd compared the priv:

12MP vs 18MP
    16GB (Non-Expandable) vs 32GB with Micro SD Expansion
    4.7 720p screen vs 5.4 QHD Screen
    1715 mAh vs 3410 mAh

Ugh this is why I despise the iPhone....16gb at the end of the day is 16gb...

What do you guys think of his "Review"?
    11-06-15 12:38 PM

Review: The Priv is BlackBerry?s best phone in years ? but is it too*late? - The Globe and Mail

Now here is what irritates me to know this guy as such hate towards BB:

Priv runs the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, which is almost exactly one year old. Lollipop can be found on most of this years best-selling Android phones from Samsung, Huawei and Lenovo. But of course the Priv is arriving now when some of the very latest high-end Android devices are also going on sale, like Googles Nexus 6P that runs on the newer Android 6 Marshmallow edition.

Not only is the software a year old, but I was curious as to why an $899 phone released in late 2015 is using a processor first released in early 2014. There is some suggestion that the Privs Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 Hexa-Core may actually be a little less prone to overheating than the newer more powerful Snapdragon 810. But the aforementioned Nexus 6P runs on the 810, for instance.

Ummm the LG G4 and the Nexus 5x both released this year use the Snapdragon 808 Processor.....so what's the problem? He talks like the Processor is an 801.

What is wrong with Lollipop 5.1.1??? He talks like its some major con like it's kit kat or something.

Also:
    So, what dont I like? This is the newest device from BlackBerry and its priced like an iPhone (you could get the new iPhone 6S for $899, the 16-GB version). If youre a hardcore Crackberry-type, youll say so what?

The iPhone 6s for 899 the same price as the priv but hello that iPhone is very low specd compared the priv:

12MP vs 18MP
    16GB (Non-Expandable) vs 32GB with Micro SD Expansion
    4.7 720p screen vs 5.4 QHD Screen
    1715 mAh vs 3410 mAh

Ugh this is why I despise the iPhone....16gb at the end of the day is 16gb...

You raise a fair point. BlackBerry is going to struggle fighting this uphill battle, but with enough resources and community backing them, I bet they can do this.

They're going to need to properly persevere though, can't just give up and half-*** it like they did with BlackBerry10!

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Anthony Roberts5 likes this.
    11-06-15 12:42 PM

The Globe n Mail has consistently been anti BB for some considerable time. This "piece" does little to suggest any imminent change. Their stock reports are always very negative and typically written by "headliners" with little substance. I'm not sure why they don't give BB a fair look. Perhaps if they (BB) donated some $ to the Liberal part of Canada. Its a shame as some of their other editorial seems reasonably impartial.

P.S. as soon as he began to criticise the OS, I knew I wasn't going to get anything material from the article.
    11-06-15 12:51 PM
    these folks reviewing are nuts in the brain only two android phones run the new OS and thats the NEXUS line and the new HTC phone everyone else runs lollypop 5.1.1 they need to stop acting brand new to how android suppliers work none of the other phones will be updated to 6.0 until after Feb which is by the way around the same time that BB stated the priv would get updated.
    11-06-15 12:57 PM
    Just browsing the Web for reviews bb definitely has an uphill battle. Everybody has a gripe and some outlets are down on the device. I'm not sure how they will battle this. Unfortunately the price point is also a huge deterrent for many non-bb diehards.
    I hope it's not going to be another playbook... Came out overpriced and then supplies piled and the thing was liquidated.
    11-06-15 01:02 PM
    OP I feel your pain but consider this. Almost all internet reviewers on the topic of cell phones are just talking heads and lack fundamental knowledge of the device they review. 99% of them are simply full of shlt and full of themselves too. These reviewers that I speak of just regurgitate information they gleaned from another site without fact checking.

I generally ignore reviews from talking heads and make my decisions based on knowledge I gather from trusted sources.

We're too smart to fall for what they're dishing out.
    11-06-15 01:03 PM
    sounds like he is a plonker
    11-06-15 01:03 PM
    As reviews are basically opinion pieces... unless you can point out where information is false... do not see the OP issue..... the review is correct on the cpu and OS... the tone is definatley negative but that is the right of any reviewer if they no not like the device or brand... it is call..."look at the source"... if you go to BGR Ars or gizmodo... do you really expect a fair review... no and this is another case in point....
    11-06-15 01:14 PM
    As reviews are basically opinion pieces... unless you can point out where information is false... do not see the OP issue..... the review is correct on the cpu and OS... the tone is definatley negative but that is the right of any reviewer if they no not like the device or brand... it is call..."look at the source"... if you go to BGR Ars or gizmodo... do you really expect a fair review... no and this is another case in point....
    How is he correct on the CPU 808 processor?? That processor was not released in early 2014......name one device released in early 2014 with the 808 Processor??? So he is spreading false information....
    11-06-15 01:18 PM
    You know.... It's alarming how much anti-blackberry bias there is floating around. I think luckily to us the truth comes through as more and more reviews agree on certain aspects, instead of just random jabs at stuff that makes absolutely no sense.

Having been on android for the past 3 years... I guess I've not really felt it as much. I think Apple have a big hand in this you know... if they can do this (Part 3) Strategies: The ?Art of Deep Background? and Controlling the Press | 9to5Mac) then how easy would it be for them to influence the bloggers.... It's really disturbing and has opened my eyes a little bit. I always considered tech journalism to be fairly consistent... but this release has made it really clear that it's just as terrible as fox news, or sky news here in england.
    11-06-15 01:24 PM
    You know.... It's alarming how much anti-blackberry bias there is floating around. I think luckily to us the truth comes through as more and more reviews agree on certain aspects, instead of just random jabs at stuff that makes absolutely no sense.

Having been on android for the past 3 years... I guess I've not really felt it as much. I think Apple have a big hand in this you know... if they can do this (Part 3) Strategies: The ?Art of Deep Background? and Controlling the Press | 9to5Mac) then how easy would it be for them to influence the bloggers.... It's really disturbing and has opened my eyes a little bit. I always considered tech journalism to be fairly consistent... but this release has made it really clear that it's just as terrible as fox news, or sky news here in england.
    I agree with you. I think that it is not new that media is moved by money. All these reviewers are for sure getting some compensation weather is money, fame, popularity like we say in the Dominican Republic they are all "Dish lickers" and "Dust removers" it is sad that they put integrity at risk.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 01:34 PM

A review isn't scientific... it's just an opinion piece. And a persons experience is going to affect a review. Just look at Bla1ze review... some of his comments would mean nothing to a non-BB10 user.

Best thing is to look at a number of them and look for common PROS and CONS, and see if there is a trend.
    11-06-15 02:01 PM
    Not only is the software a year old, but I was curious as to why an $899 phone released in late 2015 is using a processor first released in early 2014. There is some suggestion that the Privs Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 Hexa-Core may actually be a little less prone to overheating than the newer more powerful Snapdragon 810. But the aforementioned Nexus 6P runs on the 810, for instance.

Ummm the Snapdragon 808 was announced in 2014 but wasn't used until 2015!!!!!!!!!!

These are the phones released this year with the 808:

BB Priv
    Lumia 950
    LG V10
    Nexus 5x
    Moto Pure Edition
    LG G4

So what his is damn problem!!!!???? All flagships this year!!!!
    Additionally, I thought that Qualcomm made adjustments to the 810, so there is effective an 810v2 that is being used. Is the chip in the 6P an "810" or an "810v2"?

EDIT: well, here's an article from CrackBerry's nerdy sister:

Here's what's new with Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 v2.1
    11-07-15 03:14 PM
    my 32gb Priv has total space of 23.86 GB. I don't hear anyone complaining about it because we know how the world works.
    Android Marshmallow is running on 0.3 percent of Android devices a month after release.
    Loving my Priv.
    11-07-15 03:24 PM
    I guess another biased viewpoint from a apple fan, thing is whilst it is running lollipop now, BB has promised to upgrade it to marshmallow in the first quarter this year, many phones do not get these type of upgrades hence many pones still running kit kat etc.
    The chipset was chosen, purportedly due to heating issues with 810 snap dragon, and whilst my phone has only got hot whilst updating, others have reported hand warming issues, so BB made the right choice, also the price is incorrect and the iphones are still more expensive !
    01-07-16 05:21 AM
    I guess another biased viewpoint from a apple fan, thing is whilst it is running lollipop now, BB has promised to upgrade it to marshmallow in the first quarter this year, many phones do not get these type of upgrades hence many pones still running kit kat etc.
    The chipset was chosen, purportedly due to heating issues with 810 snap dragon, and whilst my phone has only got hot whilst updating, others have reported hand warming issues, so BB made the right choice, also the price is incorrect and the iphones are still more expensive !
    Actually they haven't promised to upgrade it to Marshmallow in the first quarter of this year. What they've said is that they will make the announcement later in the 1st quarter of this year when the Priv will get the Marshmallow update, so the earliest it will come is the 2nd quarter of this year if not later. We are getting told later this quarter when the update is coming, not getting the actual update.
    01-07-16 06:32 AM
    Maybe it is cut-n-paste from a BGR report? 😜

PRIVateering since 2015.
    mathprof08 likes this.
    01-07-16 07:04 AM
    How is he correct on the CPU 808 processor?? That processor was not released in early 2014......name one device released in early 2014 with the 808 Processor??? So he is spreading false information....
    Better correct Qualcomm.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releas...ion-snapdragon
    Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) today announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., introduced its next- generation mobile processors for the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 tier, the Snapdragon 810 and 808 processors,
    April 2014. Processor was released in early 2014. The writer is correct on his facts and I agree with his opinions. Priv isn't going to sell enough to get the 5 million per year.
    01-07-16 07:16 AM
    Better correct Qualcomm.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releas...ion-snapdragon

April 2014. Processor was released in early 2014. The writer is correct on his facts and I agree with his opinions. Priv isn't going to sell enough to get the 5 million per year.
    Qualcomm announced it, but no phones were ever delivered till 2015. In September 2014 they were still sending samples to OEMs.

Devices with Snapdragon 810 and 808 to come in H1 next year - GSMArena.com news

Just like Skylake was announced early last year by Intel but not widespread availability until now. That's how chip design and manufacturing works.
    01-07-16 08:21 AM
    Reading the review, the reviewer actually liked the phone. He stated this fact like a couple of times throughout the review. OP just took snipets of the review to make it look like the review was biased. But if you read the whole review it it was quite fair.

The only gripe the reviewer had with the Priv is it's pricing. And again, I agree with this. Once Blackberry decided to enter the Android market, they have to realize that they are now competing against a ton of Android OEMs. Android OEMs compete with price and specs. Blackberry Priv may be priced correctly if it had a different OS. But as an Android it is priced too high because consumers cannot help but compare it to other Android Phones. True, it has a Hub, a keyboard tucked away and added security. But just look at all the Android users disabling the Hub due to it's many issues and just look at the survey done in crackberry where half of the Priv owners actually don't use the PKB.

So two of it's distinguishing feature are actually not being used. Yeah, I understand that the HUB lacks features due to the fact that this is their first Android phone thus it is understandable to have issues. So price it accordingly.

And for a manufacturer trying to woo (back) or gain new customers, the best way to attract attention is to price it a little lower. Maybe, price it with a limited time introductory offer that would make it attractive for users other than Blackberry enthusiast to actually pick one up in the store and play with it. Right now, I've seen a handful of existing Blackberry users hesitating to buy it due to it's price. If existing BlackBerry users already hesitate, how much more those who have no idea what the Priv is?

Pricing is a delicate issue in this forum and I've seen a lot defending the Priv's pricing. While some of their points may be true, the end result is it was priced as if they didn't want to sell 5 million units of this device. It was priced to get as much money from the Blackberry loyalist as they possibly can.
    01-07-16 10:56 AM
    I have never, not even once in my life, picked up let alone read a Globe and Mail news paper, website, or anything related to it. Good thing because they're clearly confused.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-07-16 06:32 PM
    BlackBerry has every right to price the PRIV high because it is a high end phone. That said, it's obviously going to come down in price because all devices do as months go on. Plus, BlackBerry is planning to release more, mid tier or even low tier devices that will have prices to match.

Then BlackBerry will release another high end device, and so on. Price isn't an issue in my opinion.

01-07-16 06:34 PM
    BlackBerry has every right to price the PRIV high because it is a high end phone. That said, it's obviously going to come down in price because all devices do as months go on. Plus, BlackBerry is planning to release more, mid tier or even low tier devices that will have prices to match.

Then BlackBerry will release another high end device, and so on. Price isn't an issue in my opinion.

I agree, Blackberry has every right to price it high. Any OEM has the right to price their product any way they price it. How their potential customers view the price, on the other hand, will determine the volume of the phone sold. For example Porsche Design and Vertu is priced high, their sales volume is of course low.

Priv, if priced high, will shun away some users. Take note, the Android space has been a battle of price and specs. Because the OS is the same, OEMs have been forced to sell at a lower price and at higher specs, otherwise buyers will opt to buy other devices which deliver the same spec using the same OS at a lower price.

The price determines if you are to sell millions or just hundreds of thousands of the device. Selling hundreds of thousands is not actually bad depending on your profitability. But BlackBerry has already stated that they need to sell 5M phones this year. So Priv has to at least sell 2M (since they already stated they are only releasing two phones per year). Also, for a phone that wants to be relevant, you need to sell as much phones as you possibly can. Something you can't do if you are priced incorrectly.

Blackberry should also be fast in coming up with new phones. Because almost every quarter there are new Android flagships being released by other OEMs. So by the time their price drops, other OEMs will already have a new phone (with new specs and possibly running newer versions of Android) but priced the same or better than the price dropped Priv.

Blackberry has a lot to learn in competing in the Android market space (such as timing of release, pricing, etc).
    01-07-16 07:01 PM
    I agree, Blackberry has every right to price it high. Any OEM has the right to price their product any way they price it. How their potential customers view the price, on the other hand, will determine the volume of the phone sold. For example Porsche Design and Vertu is priced high, their sales volume is of course low.
    Priv, if priced high, will shun away some users. Take note, the Android space has been a battle of price and specs. Because the OS is the same, OEMs have been forced to sell at a lower price and at higher specs, otherwise buyers will opt to buy other devices which deliver the same spec using the same OS at a lower price.
    The price determines if you are to sell millions or just hundreds of thousands of the device. Selling hundreds of thousands is not actually bad depending on your profitability. But BlackBerry has already stated that they need to sell 5M phones this year. So Priv has to at least sell 2M (since they already stated they are only releasing two phones per year). Also, for a phone that wants to be relevant, you need to sell as much phones as you possibly can. Something you can't do if you are priced incorrectly.
    Blackberry should also be fast in coming up with new phones. Because almost every quarter there are new Android flagships being released by other OEMs. So by the time their price drops, other OEMs will already have a new phone (with new specs and possibly running newer versions of Android) but priced the same or better than the price dropped Priv.
    Blackberry has a lot to learn in competing in the Android market space (such as timing of release, pricing, etc).
    Look out Mt Chen, this guy knows your job better than you !
    All joking aside, I think you do make some valid points, but BB do obviously think things through ( except it seems marketing) but pitched their prices where it feels it should be, rather than have an issue as per many manufacturers, who lose money on most handsets, or have tiny margins, Apple have done this and people flocked to them ! and each phone pays for itself, as well as being higher priced than most other handsets (although now it seems with each launch there are less and less reasons for the upgrade) John Chen has decided he is not willing to continue to price low just to get market share, and any new handset releases, will just add a cash injection at various times of the year, whilst they continue to build and grow the other parts of the business.
    I think that the other thing people fail to see is that BB in the Priv still provide the option for additional storage (upto 2TB) which for me is invaluable to carry large amounts of files and pictures/music etc, that has a value in itself.
    PS. If anyone knows where to find a 2TB card please let me know !
    01-10-16 03:55 AM
    [QUOTE=spizm5;12199978]
    but BB do obviously think things through ( except it seems marketing) but pitched their prices where it feels it should be, rather than have an issue as per many manufacturers, who lose money on most handsets, or have tiny margins, Apple have done this and people flocked to them ! and each phone pays for itself, as well as being higher priced than most other handsets (although now it seems with each launch there are less and less reasons for the upgrade) John Chen has decided he is not willing to continue to price low just to get market share...
    [QUOTE]
    The only thing is Apple has it's own OS that differentiates it from other phones. That is why they can sell it at a high price given it's low specs. For people who want the IOS experience they don't have a choice but to buy Apple.

But Android phones are more or less the same. No matter how you change your launcher the experience will more or less be the same. That's why BB's apps such as the Hub is very critical to differentiate them. BlackBerry needs to polish these apps and make people want to choose BlackBerry because of it. Otherwise, the thinking of the consumer would be, why would I choose BlackBerry Android Phone over Samsung/LG/Motorola/HTC/Sony/etc? And why would they pay a premium for it? BlackBerry's thinking is the PKB is enough to convince people to buy BlackBerry Android at a premium over other OEMs. Other apps such as Blend, etc should also be offered to differentiate BlackBerry Android from other OEMs.
    01-10-16 05:13 AM