Alright! This coming weekend is when I am going to set aside time to migrate from the Passport to the Priv!

I've read a lot of helpful suggestions on this forum so far, and I'm grateful for all you brave pioneers. I have a few questions that I hope can get answered before the weekend so I'll be good to go:

Can I disable Gmail notifications completely? That account is barely used and I don't need to know when I get em ails from there.

For job security purposes, I need a good camera disabler. Since Android lets you take pictures even on a locked phone, I need a full blocker. It needs to be password protected. Lots of options in the Play Store, but I always trust the words of actual users over app reviews.

Does the BB10 to Priv migration tool work pretty well? What issues did anyone have, and what will I still need to manually transfer?

Lastly, I have an SD card in the Passport with quite a bit of music and photos. Can I put this into the Priv as it is, and the Priv will find those files accordingly? Or will I need to copy everything to my PC, format the SD card with the Priv, then copy the files back over?

I know it's a lot, but I want this to go smoothly as possible. Thanks!
    04-24-17 08:38 AM
    I believe that you can disable the Gmail notifications. I have the opposite case, where I have Gmail notifications showing (work email) and my PERSONAL account NOT notifying. So, you should be able to do Gmail in the same way.

I think that the migration tool worked well for me - I did wind up with duplicated contacts - that became a bit messy.

I'm not sure about the SD card. I think it will work, but don't know for sure.

Be prepared to struggle a bit with the keyboard - even coming from a Classic I struggled a bit, but overall it's still very usable.
    04-24-17 09:21 AM
    If I remember correctly, the SD card will transfer fine, but someone can pipe in to correct me. The problem is I did buy a new larger SD card for my Priv so I am confused if I did that before I activated the Priv or after.
    04-24-17 09:31 AM
    Alright! This coming weekend is when I am going to set aside time to migrate from the Passport to the Priv!

I've read a lot of helpful suggestions on this forum so far, and I'm grateful for all you brave pioneers. I have a few questions that I hope can get answered before the weekend so I'll be good to go:

Can I disable Gmail notifications completely? That account is barely used and I don't need to know when I get em ails from there.

For job security purposes, I need a good camera disabler. Since Android lets you take pictures even on a locked phone, I need a full blocker. It needs to be password protected. Lots of options in the Play Store, but I always trust the words of actual users over app reviews.

Does the BB10 to Priv migration tool work pretty well? What issues did anyone have, and what will I still need to manually transfer?

Lastly, I have an SD card in the Passport with quite a bit of music and photos. Can I put this into the Priv as it is, and the Priv will find those files accordingly? Or will I need to copy everything to my PC, format the SD card with the Priv, then copy the files back over?

I know it's a lot, but I want this to go smoothly as possible. Thanks!
    The migration from my Z30 to the Priv was pretty painless. There is a Content Transfer app both in BBworld and in the Google Play store (the Priv may come with it installed but I don't recall). It can transfer calendar and contacts. It can transfer only 3,500 text messages. People use a 3rd party app if they have more to transfer (I don't really do text so did not deal with that aspect).

It can also transfer photos and music (I think) but that can really slow down the transfer so I did some of it manually. But as you noted, most of that stuff was on my sd-card and I just moved it over to the new unit. I don't recall if I had to adjust some Folders but it was not a big deal. The Marshmallow update created a new possibility to "consolidate" Internal Memory and and sd-card (Adoptable storage). So if you move the card, you may be offered an opportunity to create it. If you do use it, you would lose data on the card, I believe. It really is only an advantage on cheaper phones with less internal storage although, it does encrypt the card which some folks want. It really is a subject for a separate treatise. Be that as it may, if you use that method, the card canNOT be used outside of the phone.

There are two ways to deal with Gmail on the phone. There's a separate Gmail app and there is also Gmail in the Hub (just like bb10). I never even looked at the Gmail app. I did setup Gmail in the Hub but you don't have to.

BUT you will generally need a Gmail account to use the google playstore - either for free or purchased downloads. One other thing - if you have acquired Playstore apps under BB10, I believe you will be offered an opportunity to import them if you use the same Gmail account when setting it up. I was surprised when apps I had for my Samsung Tab and some of my Z30-android apps were immediately available.

Oh, speaking of apps, you will want to check for updates or missing BB-android apps. You can open the playstore and search for "Blackberry" and apps will show up. Oh, if you sd-card is larger than 32gig (I think), you will need the MS exfat driver which shows up when you search for Blackberry.

Don't know about the camera issue.

Ask away if you have more questions.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-24-17 09:34 AM
    If you don't have a gmail account you can completely disable the app. I did. I only have a gmail account because you get one with a google account.

Content transfer I only used for texts and some of the other apps like remember. One note, take your sd card out before you start and you will have the option to transfer over the air.

Sd card, I just moved mine over and didn't have to do any formatting. Mine is 32GB though. If you have a larger card that needs to be formatted with exfat first, you can move all your files to a pc, format with exfat, and move back to the sd.

Pretty easy really. Getting a hang of the android OS is the harder part but it only took a few days for me. Lots of good info on CB to get you started, especially the stickies.

Enjoy!
    FF22 likes this.
    04-24-17 10:41 AM
    Firstly, congratulations on your choice and I hope the Priv works wonderfully for you. Just remember, updates are your friend. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Regarding your MicroSD card, if it's 32gb or less. You can just insert it and you are good to go

When opening the 'photos' app (stock) there will most likely be 2 folders called 'Camera'. Just find which one is the MicroSD and rename it.

If the card is larger than 32gb, it does require a little more leg work with regards to formatting it. When booting the device you should be prompted to download the Microsoft exFat drivers. I can't remember if this needs to reformat the memory card or not so just back up everything first (if possible)

Hope this helps!
    FF22 and newcollector like this.
    04-24-17 11:01 AM
    If you don't have a gmail account you can completely disable the app. I did. I only have a gmail account because you get one with a google account.

Content transfer I only used for texts and some of the other apps like remember. One note, take your sd card out before you start and you will have the option to transfer over the air.

Sd card, I just moved mine over and didn't have to do any formatting. Mine is 32GB though. If you have a larger card that needs to be formatted with exfat first, you can move all your files to a pc, format with exfat, and move back to the sd.

Pretty easy really. Getting a hang of the android OS is the harder part but it only took a few days for me. Lots of good info on CB to get you started, especially the stickies.

Enjoy!
    So when I set up my BlackBerry Android I won't even need to have the gmail account in the Hub? I've never had Gmail so it would be redundant but I realize I will have to create one for Google login.

Behold, my thumbs have spoken.
    04-24-17 04:00 PM
    So when I set up my BlackBerry Android I won't even need to have the gmail account in the Hub? I've never had Gmail so it would be redundant but I realize I will have to create one for Google login.

You create your hub email accounts, and disable the separate gmail app which shows up in the app drawer. ๐Ÿ˜€
    04-24-17 04:42 PM
    @kvndoom you might want to start a separate thread re the camera app disabler.
    04-24-17 04:44 PM

No, you set up accounts separately in the hub. So if you have gmail, you can just check it through the app if you don't want it in the hub. Otherwise you can skip the gmail setup at the beginning and disable the app.
    04-24-17 06:24 PM