Most of the phones that had very unique designs mostly and I mean some 90% came from Nokia :

Sliders, dual sliders, clamshell qwerty, vertical clamshell qwerty, lipstick phones, various dialing keypads, even a rotational rotary dial with no numbers listed: dare I say this was the very first software only dialer ever on the market?! even the Taco phone for heavy testers which eventually evolved into the first phone dedicated for mobile gaming and it ran on a smartphone is the Ngage!!

I personally am very glad BlackBerry Passport debuted and I'm hungry to see more innovative physical keyboard designs from them. It must be the truth going forward.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 04:06 AM
    My boring booty will eventually purchase someone else's boring full touch, if in the next year or so BlackBerry doesn't release one. I bet I'm not alone in this boring decision.

Interesting formats are great, I'm all for them, but they don't move in significant numbers.
    I get that people want a Z30 replacement and that would be great, but if I were in Chen's shoes, I would do the Slider and let that serve as the all-touch. A company like BlackBerry can market a slider far more easily than they can an all-touch slab. People have a reason to want a slider because there's nothing else like it out there. The Z30 has proven that releasing a decent device is not enough. There needs to be a reason to leave Android and the software is not going to be that reason for the consumer. The device has to be unique.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 02:26 PM
    I get that people want a Z30 replacement and that would be great, but if I were in Chen's shoes, I would do the Slider and let that serve as the all-touch. A company like BlackBerry can market a slider far more easily than they can an all-touch slab. People have a reason to want a slider because there's nothing else like it out there. The Z30 has proven that releasing a decent device is not enough. There needs to be a reason to leave Android and the software is not going to be that reason for the consumer. The device has to be unique.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but the z30 was a failure. Sure, it's a good phone and probably one of the best bb10 devices to date. But it was still a failure for 2 reasons:

1. Marketing. When the Z30 came out, no one knew. People still don't know about the z30. I've talked to many non-blackberry diehards and they know the z10 but dont even know the z30 existed

2. The actual device. First of all, the camera was just as bad as the z10's yet it came out nearly a year later. The screen is also very very bad. Its too dark and pixels are seen easily. And finally, its ugly. People don't buy phones if they're ugly. That chin at the bottom is a waste of space. And if they really needed it, they couldve made it black. Instead, they painted it with an ugly gray that chips off easily.

So no, the z30 was not a good all-touch. If they want to make a successful all-touch, they can.
    03-15-15 03:15 PM
    How does 43% become a strong preference?
    What's the keyboard market for iOS and Android? A 43% share of the market is significant. And when you look at the age of the Z10 and assume that many of those users moved on to other phones, kb models may actually comprise half of the active BB10 fleet at this point.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    03-15-15 04:51 PM
    I'm predicting a lot of people with failing slider mechanisms and wiggle when either fully extended or collapsed. Far more people than the passport owners with lifting screens.

Hope I can recall this comment when the day comes.

Oh, and I'm also expecting the usual pack saying "does it affect the functionality of the device?", "it's no big deal, all manufacturers have errors", "you got ocd or something?", "I can't believe threads like this, just get over it", "you're being paid to bash bb".
    Again, to repeat, sliders aren't my favorite form-factor either, but to be fair the mechanism on the Torch was bulletproof.

One area where BlackBerry has maintained their standards has been in overall hardware quality. I find it hard to believe that they'd show the slider at MWC if they weren't already 110% confident in the mechanism.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    D3C0D3R, DJM626, AtInsider and 1 others like this.
    03-15-15 04:54 PM
    I am also waiting for a full touch and if there is no rumor for one coming out as you said in a year or so, then I will switch to iphone until the new full touch is announced.

But...If there is a lock button on the keyboard so that it doesnt slide out when you dont want it to, then ill buy the slider and just leave the lock on forever
    Dear lord, of all devices to switch to, an iPhone? *appalled* *stiffles barf*

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2558
    03-17-15 10:11 PM
    I am also waiting for a full touch and if there is no rumor for one coming out as you said in a year or so, then I will switch to iphone until the new full touch is announced.

But...If there is a lock button on the keyboard so that it doesnt slide out when you dont want it to, then ill buy the slider and just leave the lock on forever
    I would imagine the keyboard, like all the past sliders I've used, would present itself when you call upon it.

In all honesty, it seems like the full touch users that are against a slider are because of two reasons:

Thickness and removable battery.

Assuming the two above issues were no more, wouldn't a slider be a good upgrade option?

emPowered by 
    03-17-15 10:16 PM
    I would imagine the keyboard, like all the past sliders I've used, would present itself when you call upon it.

In all honesty, it seems like the full touch users that are against a slider are because of two reasons:

Assuming the two above issues were no more, wouldn't a slider be a good upgrade option?

emPowered by 
    I doubt we'll ever see another BlackBerry with a removable battery. I'm surprised the Z10 and Q10 had them, frankly.

I won't try to pretend there aren't reasons to miss removable batteries, but external batteries really do work better.

So far as the slider goes, sure, it will be slightly thicker and heavier than a full-touch, but I've seen some people say they prefer a heavier phone anyway. Go figure.

...and, if BlackBerry had shown a full-touch, these forums would be full of members wishing they'd do another slider. No way to make everyone happy.
    03-18-15 01:10 AM
    Having a pre, pre2 and pre3 - slider stability and durability is all doable with proper quality- the pre2 and 3 where rock solid sliders.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 06:32 AM

emPowered by 
    People need to understand the Slider will be as thin as a full touch device. This is 2015 not 2009, BlackBerry has achieved many technological hardware advancements, just look at its patent portfolio and the so many new hardware patents. Its mind Boggling. The one thing for sure is its internal structure, this device, regardless how thin it is going to be will not bend, even if you wanted it to.

That's BlackBerry QUALITY.
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    03-18-15 04:26 PM
    People need to understand the Slider will be as thin as a full touch device. This is 2015 not 2009, BlackBerry has achieved many technological hardware advancements, just look at its patent portfolio and the so many new hardware patents. Its mind Boggling. The one thing for sure is its internal structure, this device, regardless how thin it is going to be will not bend, even if you wanted it to.

That's BlackBerry QUALITY.
    It will be about quality, like BlackBerry is known for.

Couldn't agree more!

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2558
    03-18-15 06:22 PM
    ...and, if BlackBerry had shown a full-touch, these forums would be full of members wishing they'd do another slider. No way to make everyone happy.
    Which is a shame: I believe BlackBerry could dual-launch the slider and a full touch at the same time on the same day but NOT repeat the lunatic idiocy of not making the qwerty available for 6 months after. The Slider and the Slab, same internal specs and same price but the Slab has a larger battery than the slider, but the slider battery is still great I.e. More than a full day on the Slider, but the slab is 25% better still. Both available from ShopBlackBerry.com on launch day in at least US/Canada/UK. THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!
    04-18-15 08:08 PM
    Which is a shame: I believe BlackBerry could dual-launch the slider and a full touch at the same time on the same day but NOT repeat the lunatic idiocy of not making the qwerty available for 6 months after. The Slider and the Slab, same internal specs and same price but the Slab has a larger battery than the slider, but the slider battery is still great I.e. More than a full day on the Slider, but the slab is 25% better still. Both available from ShopBlackBerry.com on launch day in at least US/Canada/UK. THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!
    Like the touch and slider Torches. Simple.

But why a better battery on the full touch? I assume because with no PKB a bigger battery would fit?

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 08:31 PM
    My boring booty will eventually purchase someone else's boring full touch, if in the next year or so BlackBerry doesn't release one. I bet I'm not alone in this boring decision.

Interesting formats are great, I'm all for them, but they don't move in significant numbers.
    I get what you are saying, but BlackBerry doesn't have a strong claim to differentiate without the keyboard, yet. I'm a huge BlackBerry fan, but it is hard to tell people why they should by a BB10 slate instead of an iPhone6+ or SG6. I'm not being anti-BB, it's just that all the devices are very similar at this point. And, with low marketshare and a weaker app library that is dependent on a slower runtime, it just seems hard to justify. Blend is cool, but they really need something that will make purchasers say, "I'd love an iPhone, but it just can't do what my BlackBerry can do for me and that just provides too big a real world benefit for me to leave BlackBerry." To put it another way, BB10 feels like a blend of Android and iOS, but it lacks it's own unique selling proposition and it needs one before we try another slate.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 10:41 PM
    No. A slider is interesting for some. But not many. Not me. The all touch keyboard is the future, and it's potential is far from being realised. BlackBerry's all touch keyboard is the best but can still be improved. How ? For one thing by enabling a fixed virtual keyboard that also has shortcuts. I suggest this for the passport... the biggest problem of course is to allow programs to dynamically readjust screen displays accordingly.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and pttptppt like this.
    04-19-15 12:26 AM
    I get what you are saying, but BlackBerry doesn't have a strong claim to differentiate without the keyboard, yet. I'm a huge BlackBerry fan, but it is hard to tell people why they should by a BB10 slate instead of an iPhone6+ or SG6. I'm not being anti-BB, it's just that all the devices are very similar at this point. And, with low marketshare and a weaker app library that is dependent on a slower runtime, it just seems hard to justify. Blend is cool, but they really need something that will make purchasers say, "I'd love an iPhone, but it just can't do what my BlackBerry can do for me and that just provides too big a real world benefit for me to leave BlackBerry." To put it another way, BB10 feels like a blend of Android and iOS, but it lacks it's own unique selling proposition and it needs one before we try another slate.

Posted via CB10
    What differentiates iOS from Android from Windows? Every smartphone does the same things now, in their own way. The one distinctly unique thing BlackBerry did have was BIS. Maybe if they bring that back they'd have something truly special to tout.

I think how BlackBerry functions could be effectively marketed, if they ever got off their booties and advertised properly.
    jafobabe, kbz1960 and Blacklatino like this.
    04-19-15 09:54 AM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I think this blackberry "slider" is going to create a serious wow factor!!... truly unique and with top end specs and an amazing form factor... all touch OR with keyboard... a
    First collaboration with Samsung...

I think it has the potential to be the most innovative phone of 2015!....

Can't wait to get one!! Lol

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 04:23 AM
    Actually BlackBerry 's virtual keyboard is a huge differential factor. I loved it more than the big physical keyboard came with Passport. I still think a full touch high end BlackBerry 10 phone would appeal to me much better than a slider but I am in the minority according to BlackBerry ' s market research (and they may be able right).

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    BionicKris likes this.
    04-20-15 03:57 PM
    Actually BlackBerry 's virtual keyboard is a huge differential factor. I loved it more than the big physical keyboard came with Passport. I still think a full touch high end BlackBerry 10 phone would appeal to me much better than a slider but I am in the minority according to BlackBerry ' s market research (and they may be able right).

100% agreed

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 04:25 PM
    because i dont want the keyboard to slide out by accident. If it does, i could end up accidentally dropping the phone

Making a slider instead of a full touch slab best decision ever....:)-uyglw.jpg

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 04:46 PM
    Likewise if there was any real demand for a BlackBerry full touch then the Z30 would have sold a lot better.

Honestly I bet the Passport has sold better than a Z50 would have if it had been released instead.

Posted via CB10
    The 30 was only released on one carrier in the USA and had not an ounce of support from BB in getting the word out on it and it was at the time they were for sale so I don't think anything they released at that time would have done any better.
    04-20-15 04:50 PM
    Whatever is finally released, the specs need to be compatible with whatever is selling on the market. Especially if BlackBerry wants other customers besides.........CrackBerry members. 👍

Sent from my Z30
    kbz1960 and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-20-15 11:34 PM
    Actually BlackBerry 's virtual keyboard is a huge differential factor.
    Yes

I still think a full touch high end BlackBerry 10 phone would appeal to me much better than a slider
    Agree

I am in the minority according to BlackBerry ' s market research
    What

From my understanding, Chen decided the hardware during his immediate future at the helm would be "uniquely BlackBerry", and a glass slab would be lost in a sea of other glass slabs. This has nothing to do with market research, popularity or sales volume. Simply his choice of charted course to right the ship, and a Z30 successor at some juncture was never ruled out. I can appreciate his theory, but totally disagree it's been helpful. We're moving ever so slightly from that dead company that makes quirky phones and doesn't realize it's dead yet, to that dead company that makes really quirky phones and doesn't realize it's dead yet, from a market perspective.

What has moved numbers of units on BB10 is undeniable. It's full touch. Production volume, carrier deals, the for sale sign, a half-baked OS at launch and marketing were their failures, something at least in the US (3� out of 5) they've failed to learn from.

What gravely concerns me (and don't get me wrong, I believe overall Chen is doing an outstanding job considering what he took over), is the concept of taking the features in the OS that make my slab uniquely BlackBerry, and making them available to other platforms. It leaves me little assurance there will ever be another Z, and I'll be push from the platform I love, through their own insistence and direction.

Edit - It's my ever so humble opinion, if they ever want to be taken seriously again as a hardware manufacturer, they must make something the smartphone market considers serious hardware. PKB are not that phone. Period
    kbz1960 and Blacklatino like this.
    04-21-15 02:00 AM
    The way I see it, BlackBerry believes that for the ones still want to buy a BlackBerry, most of them would want PKB. The ones like you and me who want a full touch, even though are the majority in the smart phone market, but are the minority among the (actual or potential) buyers of BlackBerry.

Belittling PKB isn't going to get this conversation going anywhere...

As long as the slider has great specs (that includes the battery), it can be used as a full touch... not perfect but acceptable.

04-21-15 07:45 AM
    The way I see it, BlackBerry believes that for the ones still want to buy a BlackBerry, most of them would want PKB. The ones like you and me who want a full touch, even though are the majority in the smart phone market, but are the minority among the (actual or potential) buyers of BlackBerry.

Belittling PKB isn't going to get this conversation going anywhere...

As long as the slider has great specs (that includes the battery), it can be used as a full touch... not perfect but acceptable.

A - Maybe I missed a post. Who's belittling PKB?

B - The stats are indisputable. Despite no VKB being being released in well over a year, they still make up the majority of BB10 phones sold to date.
    kbz1960 and Blacklatino like this.
    04-21-15 07:57 AM
78 1234