I'm sure I'll take a keyboard-lashing from all the "BB Must Go Android" crowd, but jeez man, how can anybody have confidence in the ability to secure this platform when new vulnerabilities are announced on such a constant basis?

Here's the most recent, and ridiculous, one I've seen:

"To hack an Android phone, just type in a really long password"
    To hack an Android phone, just type in a really long password - Sep. 16, 2015

Richard
    lift likes this.
    09-17-15 04:42 PM
    Who said anyone was confidant about this?????

Of course most of these vulnerabilities will be removed by just implementing some basic IT policies via BES or Good (or any other EMM).

Allow to Root Device: NO
    Allow to install Apps from 3rd Party Source: NO
    Push updates: YES

But yeah the individual CrackBerry hobbyist that wants to really play with their phone and ROOTS it (if that is even possible) and wants some apps but doesn't want to pay for it and get it from some torrent..... he'll be open to a total different world than he is use to.
    09-17-15 04:49 PM
    I'm sure I'll take a keyboard-lashing from all the "BB Must Go Android" crowd, but jeez man, how can anybody have confidence in the ability to secure this platform when new vulnerabilities are announced on such a constant basis?

Here's the most recent, and ridiculous, one I've seen:

"To hack an Android phone, just type in a really long password"
    To hack an Android phone, just type in a really long password - Sep. 16, 2015

Richard
    The only other option is to shut down the device business now. Is that what you want?

Personally I'm in the "I want the BlackBerry device business to survive" crowd.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-17-15 04:51 PM
    Who said anyone was confidant about this?????
    The extremely vocal crowd acting as if Android is the greatest thing ever.

Of course most of these vulnerabilities will be removed by just implementing some basic IT policies via BES or Good (or any other EMM).
    That's an awful big assumption that all devices will be under management. Mine aren't...they are personal devices, not under the rule of any company administration.

The only other option is to shut down the device business now. Is that what you want?
    I want the handset business to survive as well, but that's not a relevant argument to my question. Wanting the business to survive does not magically instill confidence in the security of Android, or cause it to be secure.

Richard
    lift likes this.
    09-17-15 05:27 PM
    Allow to Root Device: NO
    Allow to install Apps from 3rd Party Source: NO
    Push updates: YES
    Not allowing the device to be rooted wouldn't fix the lock screen password vulnerability. Nor would it prevent the malicious text vulnerability linked at the bottom of that article. Android phones can be hacked with a simple text - Jul. 27, 2015

MAYBE not allowing 3rd party app sources would prevent the malicious text one from having an effect; hard to say.

Updates are great as long as they're available; many of the vulnerabilities still exist because updates aren't made available from the respective manufacturers. (Android's severe fragmentation issue isn't news to anybody who has been paying attention.)

And again, all of this is assuming that the device is under management, which is a huge assumption. Most consumer devices will not be.

Richard
    lift likes this.
    09-17-15 05:34 PM
    It's not as if QNX would help any of these. It seems that the way to take care of these vulnerabilities is to patch them with an OTA update as soon as they are identified and not wait for carrier to approve an update or wait for BlackBerry "skin" customizations to be integrated into a new version of Android.
    09-17-15 06:25 PM
    To be honest, without a BES or anything like that, how much of the vaunted security of BlackBerry 10 is merely security through obscurity?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 07:03 PM
    I've used Windows both at work and at home for over 20 years now. With all its vulnerabilities (virus, malware, spam, phishing). And I'm still here alive & kicking. I and my employer(s) apply counter-measures (education, anti-virus, network apps). And life goes on. I'm sure I'll survive the "vulnerabilities" of the Android if & when I choose this as my next phone.

What I can't live with is attempting to use a computer (be it laptop or pocket) that cannot solve knowledge, informational, or data problems. I can't live with a high dollar computerized machine that has to make me work harder, instead of working smarter and faster. And I can't live with a high dollar computerized machine that won't entertain me when I know it should be capable of doing so with as little effort as possible.

And finally I want a high dollar pocket-sized computerized machine that will continually evolve and solve its customer problems! Something BB has been unable to do. Resting on its laurels with the HUB and thinking that's the be all end all of productivity.

I want makers who will listen to its customers instead of just telling us what should be good for us, "you don't really need that, just use it this way the way we built it".

Give me all of these things and I'll gladly fight off the inevitable dark side of the digital world, afterall there are plenty of tools available at my disposal to do so.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-17-15 08:53 PM
    ^ this was very poetic. Now back down to reality. There is no OS on the market that is offering you what you're saying. Google is constantly pushing dumb usage paradigms onto users. They get adopted because they're free, not because they make sense. Apple restricts what you do big time and doesn't "believe" in file management. BlackBerry sucks because, well, it's a productivity device with no app support. So then, what choice is left?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 10:14 PM
    ^ this was very poetic. Now back down to reality. There is no OS on the market that is offering you what you're saying. Google is constantly pushing dumb usage paradigms onto users. They get adopted because they're free, not because they make sense. Apple restricts what you do big time and doesn't "believe" in file management. BlackBerry sucks because, well, it's a productivity device with no app support. So then, what choice is left?

Posted via CB10
    That's only your opinion and your own projection based on your own use and outlook. I make my own independent judgement as to what works for me and how it will solve modern day computer problems, how easy it is to use, how it helps me be productive, how flexible carriers provide the service, and how it will help entertain me.

Right now the Android has a rich diversity of implementations and apps to choose from that would solve those things I describe above. And that includes security & privacy. Unfortunately the Z30 is falling short of that richness & diversity month after month that I use it.
    09-17-15 10:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    The market ultimately decides. Lack of file management and "dumb" paradigms must hold sway.
    09-17-15 10:51 PM
    The market ultimately decides. Lack of file management and "dumb" paradigms must hold sway.
    Not sure I entirely understand your comment. What I do know is that Apple is finally buckling under pressure to introduce some semblance of file management on iOS. iOS 9 allows managing files on the iCloud Drive, as well as attachments of files direct in an email from the iCloud Drive. It is not quite an elegant solution, and it does not work that stellar, but it works. Google is just being Google. They do what they think makes the most sense. As I stated before, if free (in money terms), users use it.
    09-18-15 02:14 AM
    Not sure I entirely understand your comment. What I do know is that Apple is finally buckling under pressure to introduce some semblance of file management on iOS. iOS 9 allows managing files on the iCloud Drive, as well as attachments of files direct in an email from the iCloud Drive. It is not quite an elegant solution, and it does not work that stellar, but it works. Google is just being Google. They do what they think makes the most sense. As I stated before, if free (in money terms), users use it.
    Yes, some solutions may seem "dumb", but they are not so important. Over 90% of people "tolerate" inconsistencies and less than optimal solution for better added value with the app ecosystem.

"Superior" technology dies all the time due to marketing or strategy failures. But most of the time, after they die, the good concepts are integrated into successfull projects and live on as such.
    09-18-15 04:58 AM
    Yes, some solutions may seem "dumb", but they are not so important. Over 90% of people "tolerate" inconsistencies and less than optimal solution for better added value with the app ecosystem.

"Superior" technology dies all the time due to marketing or strategy failures. But most of the time, after they die, the good concepts are integrated into successfull projects and live on as such.
    I fully expect that 10 years from now Apple will invent the HUB......
    09-18-15 08:13 AM
    Indeed.
    09-18-15 08:28 AM
    If BlackBerry 10 disappears in the next 2-3 years, expect the HUB in about a 3-5 year time-frame.
    09-18-15 11:50 AM
    On the note of the lock screen vulnerability, I wonder if BlackBerry will port the picture password unlock over?
    09-18-15 03:51 PM
    On the note of the lock screen vulnerability, I wonder if BlackBerry will port the picture password unlock over?
    It was mentioned in the article where the vulnerability was presented that Google already has the fix on their latest Android code. I fully expect that the fix to be in this BB android as well.
    09-18-15 03:54 PM
    "Porting" a lock over sounds like it will make things less secure than more secure. The lock designed to be integrated with the OS is what is most secure. At any rate, it doesn't look like BlackBerry ported anything over other than their Android apps.
    09-18-15 04:55 PM
    It's hard to admit failure of BB10, the Betamax vs the android vhs. Better doesn't mean anything if it is not accepted by the buyers

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 08:16 PM
    To be honest, without a BES or anything like that, how much of the vaunted security of BlackBerry 10 is merely security through obscurity?

Posted via CB10
    That may very well be, though BB10 is so far from making a significant dent in market share that any potential for threats is a long stretch of a potential threat. And again, has nothing to do with Android vulnerabilities which is the issue at hand. Without something major changing in the current landscape, BB10 even without BES is very secure. Android already is not.

Richard
    09-20-15 10:06 AM
    It was mentioned in the article where the vulnerability was presented that Google already has the fix on their latest Android code. I fully expect that the fix to be in this BB android as well.
    So you're saying it will be relatively secure on release date of that version of the OS. What about the day after?

Richard
    09-20-15 10:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    Show me a post showing a blackberry rooted or hacked. Still more secure than the others without BES.
    09-20-15 10:19 AM