From the look of the leaks it appears the bottom chin/bezel of the phone (and possibly part of the sides) appear to be using the same material used on the z10 chin and sides.

Some people claimed that was a magnesium alloy and others just plastics.

Thoughts?

"Magnesium alloy" or plastics? Venice using z10 materials?-img_20150920_220643.png

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 10:07 PM
    Pretty sure it's just some plastic. That doesn't mean much, the plastics used on these devices is pretty good, and the Z10 is a very mice looking device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-20-15 10:38 PM
    It's definitely an alloy of some type on the z10. I don't know about the Venice as I haven't seen one yet.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    09-20-15 10:58 PM
    build quality from finished product versus the leaks will change, expect that.
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-20-15 11:00 PM
    build quality from finished product versus the leaks will change, expect that.
    Blaze basically implied that as well by alluding to people's initial response to the leaked passport compared to their response after it was released.

astrodan13 likes this.
    09-20-15 11:09 PM
    Blaze basically implied that as well by alluding to people's initial response to the leaked passport compared to their response after it was released.

Yea always like that prototype device is 80% from the final version

I remember play with passport prototype, the keyboard is awful to type
    09-20-15 11:22 PM
    The one shown in the video is the final production unit I believe it was said. The earlier blurry pics were clearly of prototypes.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 12:04 AM
    Yea always like that prototype device is 80% from the final version

I remember play with passport prototype, the keyboard is awful to type
    Interesting.... I hope they add some stainless steel / chromed metal elements like as found on the passport, for good aesthetics and build quality.

Another thing I find interesting thus far is still no metal frets on the keyboard - something blackberry used to advertise as a component of its amazing keyboards. I wonder if they will add that... hmmm

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 12:36 AM
    Interesting.... I hope they add some stainless steel / chromed metal elements like as found on the passport, for good aesthetics and build quality.

Another thing I find interesting thus far is still no metal frets on the keyboard - something blackberry used to advertise as a component of its amazing keyboards. I wonder if they will add that... hmmm

Posted via CB10
    Huge sign that this was designed by engineers outside of BlackBerry imo.

09-21-15 12:45 AM
    Huge sign that this was designed by engineers outside of BlackBerry imo.

I'm quite sure (remembering reading multiple times) that bbry designs it's high-end devices in-house... but I could be wrong. For instance it shares the passport keypad design which we know was in-house, and shares quite a few similarities to other bb10 phones (like I am theorizing with the z10 magnesium allow in this forum).

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 01:05 AM
    What's the problem with "just plastics"?
    Good plastics are cheap but don't look cheap. I'm holding my 2.5 years old Z10 and it looks good.

Posted via CB10
    mundo472 likes this.
    09-21-15 01:07 AM
    What's the problem with "just plastics"?
    Good plastics are cheap but don't look cheap. I'm holding my 2.5 years old Z10 and it looks good.

Posted via CB10
    I agree to an extent - I actually really liked the z10s build

Posted via CB10
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-21-15 01:12 AM
    I'm quite sure (remembering reading multiple times) that bbry designs it's high-end devices in-house... but I could be wrong. For instance it shares the passport keypad design which we know was in-house, and shares quite a few similarities to other bb10 phones (like I am theorizing with the z10 magnesium allow in this forum).

Posted via CB10

This used to be true. It was true when the passport was being designed then it failed and Chen fired all hardware design engineers.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 03:13 AM
    Cheap plastic and why not slide out the keyboard completely in the picture,because it looks even cheaper,lol
    09-21-15 03:47 AM
    As an owner of a Z10 for almost 3 years. I have only dropped my device once on a concrete sidewalk landing on the bottom left corner from about 4 feet high. The Z10 only suffered a few scratches on the corner with no cracks on the chin or damage to the screen.

If it was plastic, a drop like that would crack and open up. All BB10 devices are built well. There's no cheapness to the construction. It's a tool not a toy.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 01:33 PM
    An SE version of the Venice should come out. SE Passport looks so stunning IMO.

Posted via CB10
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-21-15 01:37 PM
    An SE version of the Venice should come out. SE Passport looks so stunning IMO.

Posted via CB10
    Let's see how the slider does first. If it's a hit, then I'm totally with you on an SE version. Actually, they should have done it like that first, as I agree, it would look awesome!

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-21-15 01:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    already the slider factor would make the device super heavy, it better be made ofe lighter and stronger plastic/alloys than be stainless steel and weigh half a pound
    09-21-15 02:10 PM
    My Z10 was dropped several times before I put a case on it 4 months after I got it. I've got dents on all four corners, and some of the falls were not all that high.

Whatever it's made from, and I've heard both plastic and the metal alloy theories, it's the softest stuff ever. My old 9800 Torch never dented like the Z10 did. Chipped the chrome trim a few times, but that's it - and I never had a case on the Torch. And, we do know that the Torch was plastic - at least the trim was chrome plated plastic while the back was plastic with a rubberized coating (similar to the Z10 back cover).

The Z10 even has a tooth dent in the top piece just above the screen to the left of the ear speaker grille from when I stuck the phone in my mouth to go chasing after my then 4-year-old who tried to make a run for it in a restaurant one day.

If it's metal, the black paint coating must be mighty thick, because my tooth dent didn't reveal anything shinny underneath.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 03:25 PM
    I'm okay with plastic phones. Anyone remember the rubbery plastic on the Treo 755p? That always felt nice.

Anyway, I don't mind plastic as long as it isn't glossy (it smears and scratches easily) and fake plastic chrome,i hate fake plastic chrome.. I'm looking at you Samsung.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-21-15 04:48 PM
    Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 07:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    The "frets" that you are referring to are still there. they serve to space out the keys for better typing. If you look at the keyboard, you'll notice that the same spacers are there on the Venice. They are just integrated with the keyboard housing. Nothing "unusual" about the design here.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 02:00 AM
    Pretty sure it's just some plastic. That doesn't mean much, the plastics used on these devices is pretty good, and the Z10 is a very mice looking device.

Very mice indeed

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    09-22-15 07:55 AM
    Very mice indeed

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    Blame the garbage keyboards available on android devices. If its one thing I want from an android blackberry device, it's the keyboard apk

ayngling likes this.
    09-22-15 08:35 AM
    Yes. Dropped my Zed 10. Many more times than I preferred to, sustained only very minor scratches on the corners.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 10:33 AM