Hi. Some shopping malls track the mac naddress of the phone's wlan interface for analyzing a shopping behaviors. AFAIK, some iphones support mac address randomization in order to prohibit this spying. Is there a similar feature for the priv? I think, this would go with bb.
    03-27-16 06:51 PM
    You think it's just for "shopping behaviours"? They can track your unique cellular ID also or if you use the free facility WiFi or Hotspot providers, some malls and other facilities use this to sync with the CCTV in the facility so they can track and identify you if you commit an offence within the facility. If you're concerned just put your phone into Airplane mode, this isn't something new or "tinfoil hat" thing, its a daily tool used in the security world.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    03-27-16 07:23 PM
    Hi. Some shopping malls track the mac naddress of the phone's wlan interface for analyzing a shopping behaviors. AFAIK, some iphones support mac address randomization in order to prohibit this spying. Is there a similar feature for the priv? I think, this would go with bb.
    Hi,
    there's a good article on your question: https://arstechnica.com/security/201...ing-miserably/

The shorter answer would be: yes, Blackberry Priv provides Mac address randomization, however, it's poorly implemented
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    04-07-17 04:26 AM
    Turn off wifi and bluetooth scanning, and don't use wifi based location 'enhancers'. No need to go full airplane mode.

some iphones support mac address randomization in order to prohibit this spying
    According to the article, iOS implements the randomization about as poorly as Android.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-07-17 10:14 AM
    Hi,
    there's a good article on your question: https://arstechnica.com/security/201...ing-miserably/

The shorter answer would be: yes, Blackberry Priv provides Mac address randomization, however, it's poorly implemented
    Besides, Wezard's suggestion about turning wifi OFF, is there some setting to enable this MAC address randomization or it is just there and ON?
    04-07-17 11:07 AM
    Besides, Wezard's suggestion about turning wifi OFF, is there some setting to enable this MAC address randomization or it is just there and ON?
    I think it is enabled by default. Apparently it doesn't accomplish much though.
    Also remember Wezard's advice to turn off wi-fi enhanced location services. Otherwise, the article claims:
    The researchers said the probes advertising that hardware-connected MAC addresses can be made even when Wi-Fi is turned off, for instance, when Wi-Fi-based location settings are enabled."
    04-07-17 11:15 AM
    Has anyone tried changing the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" setting to "Never"?
    Would that have a negative effect on battery or something?
    04-07-17 11:19 AM
    It seems disabling wifi and bluetooth scanning for location should prevent this. Something I've done anyway.
    FF22 and Wezard like this.
    04-07-17 11:36 AM