Got the Priv about 2 weeks ago while I still had my Passport and z10. My take..

The Priv is fantastic. I love the Passport but it has nothing on the Priv.

Emails - none is better than the other based on the built in email apps. However, the Priv wins overall cos I can even download the official, Outlook, Gmail or Yahoo apps which all seem to be push so anyway u look at it.. The Priv wins.

Texts - both win but the Priv even more so cos I can use the hub, messenger, hangouts and any other app I choose to use from Google Play. If gives you choice.

Build quality and usability - no lifting screens or difficult to use with one hand. No issues with carrying in my trousers pocket due to the awkward square shape and size. The Priv is just so sleek, comfy, grippy and I have no creaking or whatever issues other seem to have. I never had any build quality issues with the passport either so they're both fantastic.

Typing - priv wins. I've got two options.. Vkb and pkb. The vkb has haptic feedback too. Passport wins for pkb due to its size naturally. Overall though, the Priv wins cos the pkb is very good and when u add in the vkb and one hand useability.. No contest.

Apps - no more Facebook that does not work, twitter not updated, rubbish linkedin, BBM that can't select multiple smileys at once. On BlackBerry it's select one, smiley picker retracts, press smiley icon to select another one, retracts, press icon to select another one ughhhh! Now I can lock individual apps for my privacy. I can even lock the hub. I can select which apps show the message content on the lockscreen and which does not I.e don't show WhatsApp but show Skype etc.. I just have to specify if the app is priority, sensitive or just block completely from showing any notifications.

Now I can make video and voice calls with Facebook messenger which means I'm actually now able to reach more people than ever cos 90% or more of the people you know are on fb. Or.. Use Skype, hangouts or viber and they just work. No longer restricted to BBM video that I used like 5 times since owning the z10 and passport over the last 2 years as only bb10 had it. No more being advised to use the browser for fb just cos of how bad the BlackBerry version is. No more being stuck on an old android fb cos the latest versions won't work on the 4.3 runtime BlackBerry uses. No more using Casper for Snapchat that's actually even made for android phones and all the other time wasting half job workarounds. I just use Snapchat like it was meant to be used. In fact.. Even the Crackberry app is better on android and gets updated more often.

File manager - bb10 wins but only cos I can't delete or move from sd to internal memory. I can format to fat32 to solve it but for now I don't care. It's not a biggie to me.

Screen - I love the amoled screen and the rectangular shape. Media and videos are so much better. I never knew how black the blacks on amoled screens are compared to lcd's. It's night and day. The colours too.. They just pop.

Camera - let's not even go there. The Priv runs tings on the rear camera. The front facing is mediocre on both.

Battery life - Passport wins but the Priv gets me well thru the day. Off charger at 7:30am and at 7pm I'm still at 50% or more. To be fair.. I had many times where I charged my passport by midday after heavy use or it was at 30% by the time I'm home from work around 7pm. I see the same with the Priv. However, the Passport has a bigger battery so naturally it wins.

Hub - this is mixed. I like that I could reply to stuff like fb and twitter from within the hub but hated that it froze and had to do resets at times on the Passport. Also hated that on the Passport things like Facebook always annoyingly shows errors like "message cannot be displayed". The hub on the Priv integrates so well with the apps that u don't even notice u left the hub and because it's in the real app you get the full experience. I love the triage methods on the Priv I.e slide left to delete, slide right to snooze etc.. I love that I can set time and location reminders on messages.

Notifications - I love the fact that the screen and dropdown notifications are a lot more interactive than bb10. Also, no more struggling with not receiving notifications from android apps like Facebook, Skype, instagram etc. I do however miss being able to reply to a message from the toast notification (heads up on android) for BBM, WhatsApp etc cos for texts it works.

Looks - the Priv is just way too sleek. It's the z10 and passport all in one. Winner.

Bedside Mode aka Daydream + interruptions on android - not like old BlackBerry OS but waaay better than bb10. You have to use Daydream +interruptions and set downtime but it's automatic once u plug your phone in at night. Never used it on bb10 cos it's all manual.

Productivity - it's a myth that BlackBerry 10 is more Productive than the rest. You might not agree but that's my opinion. One thing is for sure.. It's definitely not more productive than the Priv.

Android just has so many options that although I'm glad I waited for a BlackBerry before I made the move.. I'm not happy that I more or less just accepted bb10 as the best when it clearly is not the best OS.

Bottom line.. Sold my passport today for �200 after using it for a year. Bought it �440 October last year. Put it on Gumtree last week and the dude came to meet me at work to get it.

Before anyone gets angry.. I'm not here to cause ruckus. This is just my take on how I feel. This is my first android phone and I've only ever used BlackBerry since I got my first smartphone back in 2010. Used the 8520, 9300, 9800, 9860, z10, Passport and now the Priv.

Embrace change and keep BlackBerry in the game. All this in fighting I read on here is nothing but self harm and does nothing for you or me. Its a total waste of time and your opinion means nothing to the vast majority of users out there. Just look at bb10 's market share. The people have spoken and now I understand.

As much as I love BlackBerry 10 and miss some stuff from it overall.. I'm way more happy with the Priv and this is the phone I always hoped BlackBerry would build and they did.. Albeit using android. Hell.. I'm in love with the vkb again. Missed it from my z10 days.

Thank you BlackBerry. Thank you Android.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by naijab0y; 11-27-15 at 01:02 AM.
    11-26-15 05:46 PM
    Finally able to handle a live demo Priv at a local Rogers. Wow is all I can say. The critics of this phone who say it doesn't feel premium must be smoking some good grass or are from another dimension.

The phone is gorgeous, the screen is beautiful and the processor is very snappy without any lag whatsoever. I have a Passport right now, and found the PKB of the Priv as different, but not horrible at all. I'd bet that within an hour or two, I'd get used to the Priv's PKB. The case wasn't squishy or hollow, and I didn't feel any heat coming from the back of the device. Only heat I felt was on my neck from the Rogers rep who kept bugging me while I was in awe by this gorgeous device.

I still love my Passport but I am serious tempted by the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    ce71 likes this.
    11-26-15 06:16 PM
    Good analysis OP. Although I don't have a Priv just yet (waiting for Vienna to decide), I agree with most all of your comments. Saying that Android is a better OS than BlackBerry 10 is a bit of a stretch imo. More customization maybe. It's just too bad that BlackBerry 10 is now in effect 'mothballed', before it was able to reach its full potential in the consumer market. I'm still hoping... one day..

Posted with my Super Happy Fun-time Q5!
    netkruiser likes this.
    11-26-15 06:23 PM
    Well said.

11-26-15 06:33 PM
    I'm debating whether or not to sell my Passport,what's a good price?

ce71 likes this.
    11-26-15 06:34 PM
    My next phone is going to be free on contract. I kinda splurged on the PP but that'll never happen again. So yeah I don't ever see myself getting the Priv.
    11-26-15 06:40 PM
    Good analysis OP. Although I don't have a Priv just yet (waiting for Vienna to decide), I agree with most all of your comments. Saying that Android is a better OS than BlackBerry 10 is a bit of a stretch imo. More customization maybe. It's just too bad that BlackBerry 10 is now in effect 'mothballed', before it was able to reach its full potential in the consumer market. I'm still hoping... one day..

Posted with my Super Happy Fun-time Q5!
    I agree but just to clarify.. I didn't say android was better. I said I believed BlackBerry 10 was the best but now I see that it's not. All os's have pros and cons but for me.. I feel I'm more willing to deal with the cons of android daily than I'm willing to deal with those on BlackBerry 10.

I just feel like if I'm gonna spend my own money then I'm gonna get my money's worth and that means having access to what is available whether it's apps etc.. If BlackBerry 10 can't provide that then I'll go with android. I'm just glad it's BlackBerry cos for me it's all about the company remaining in the game. Which OS is better or not means nothing. They're all good except some have more support than others and in this case.. Bb10 got the short end of the stick.

Still BlackBerry to the end though.

sam81 and DolemiteDONS like this.
    11-26-15 06:44 PM
    For every good thread about the priv that I have seen there's like 4 or 5 that find something wrong with it. Seems like 1 out of 4 privs are perfect while the others have something wrong with them.

Posted via CB10
    NtotheK likes this.
    11-26-15 07:01 PM
    For every good thread about the priv that I have seen there's like 4 or 5 that find something wrong with it. Seems like 1 out of 4 privs are perfect while the others have something wrong with them.

Posted via CB10
    That's because people generally don't join a forum to start a topic saying "My phone is working perfectly!" This will give the appearance of the proportion you mention...this is true of any product related forum.

Last edited by Mark Sb; 11-26-15 at 07:22 PM.
    DolemiteDONS, ce71, fanisk and 3 others like this.
    11-26-15 07:12 PM
    I'm debating whether or not to sell my Passport,what's a good price?

$20 , pm me lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 07:23 PM
    This was a great and honest review. Glad to see that you love the Priv. Also, your pros and cons for using it made sense.
    11-26-15 07:29 PM
    3 weeks with the Priv and still can't give up my passport. I'm only using it for chromecast. Android is just not a good multitasking/communication OS. Final straw for me was not being able to play youtube or stream in the background.

Edit: my Priv build quality isn't the greatest either. Screen is loose and lots of give in the back cover. Very shallow power button as well. Going to take it back and see if a newer batch is better.
    Posted via CB10
    kertong likes this.
    11-26-15 08:02 PM
    I love the fact that the Priv is selling, that people are returning to BlackBerry and that even people now know we exist. I even can say I like the Priv but no, can't ditch my Passport and BB10... I just love the fact of getting things done and having a Productivity tool in my hands.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 08:09 PM
    Good post. Very pleased with my Priv. Gave my Passport to my son, no plans on returning to BB10 anytime soon.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on Priv
    11-26-15 08:40 PM
    20 days now with the Priv and don't miss the Passport. Naijab0y's comments are spot on. BB accessories, including Priv Sync pod, leather swivel holster, smart flip case, and slide-out hard shell case are all quality products. Priv is the best BB yet, and Android adds so many apps. Device has settled down, no longer gets warm, and always gets 12+ hours without recharging.

AT&T Priv STV100-1
    11-26-15 09:24 PM
    I'm with the op. lOVE my Priv. I will be putting my passport for sale now

12-19-15 01:45 PM
    3 weeks with the Priv and still can't give up my passport. I'm only using it for chromecast. Android is just not a good multitasking/communication OS. Final straw for me was not being able to play youtube or stream in the background.

Posted via CB10
    That has nothing to do with multitasking. It has to do with the fact that BB10 doesn't have a youtube app and uses a web shortcut. Google blocks this feature through the official app unless you pay for YouTube red. You can do the same thing with the Priv if you use a different browser besides Chrome. Using Firefox on the Priv and the web shortcut it will play videos in the background just like the Passport. BB10 isn't any better at multitasking than any of the other OS's.
    12-19-15 01:58 PM
    Great thread! Rockin' the SE Passport now and can't wait for my Priv next month!

BBM Channel: C0001F285
    12-19-15 01:58 PM
    Got my Priv last Tuesday, at the beginning was a bit lost with the Android environment but after a couple of days I am good ! The device is excellent and the hub works very well. Coming from the huge keyboard of the passport I had no problem to adapt quickly to the pkb of the Priv. Now I put my passport to the drawer!!
    12-19-15 02:07 PM
    My only complain is about its battery life , is definitely about 25 to 30 % less than the passport.
    12-19-15 02:09 PM
    Have it since 2 days and love it.

But I understand John Chen struggling with it first.
    Just now it Took me a few seconds to wake it up (swipe - nothing happens - swipe - nothing happens - realizing I'm stupid - Double tap - works

Same happens 80% of the time to close apps

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 02:46 PM
    Nice write up, OP. Can second most of your life impressions.

I am still getting used to the Priv while my Passport is on stand-by (not having the SIM though) but so far all my expectations were met.

Battery life seems to suffer from screen management. Sounds odd and might have to do with 5.1.1. Will dig into this if it doesn't improve soon.

12-19-15 03:11 PM
    What a wonderful real review thankyou just waiting for Optus in Australia and moving up from the Z10 which has been the best BlackBerry I ever owned makes me very confident to move to the Priv. Take care and thanks again

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 03:21 PM
    All that paid for it loves it. Its normal

Posted via PP
    12-19-15 03:33 PM
    Just ordered the PRIV bundle on shopblackberry here in Canada

Since those recent updates to the PRIV it really has become more comparable in speed to my Passport (wife has a PRIV) which was my big concern that it would slow me down in my normal day to day stuff

Thanks for the review OP it is really nice reading reviews from Passport owners who have made the switch and are satisfied

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-19-15 04:09 PM
32 12