I can get a great deal on contract for a PRIV and I'm considering the switch from my Passport. I've had BlackBerry phones since 2008 and have zero experience with Android. I've read tons of reviews and feedback but I am looking for some experienced feedback from people who have made the switch after using BlackBerry phones for such a long time.

This is a personal phone for me, not a super heavy user. Basically when I use my phone, I want to be as productive as possible. I also love the slider aspect of the phone, reminds me of my old 9800 which was awesome.

How was your experience switching over? Is Android really that bad?

Thanks guys!!

Posted via CB10
    03-08-16 06:39 PM
    Switched from Passport to Priv. No looking back for me.
    03-08-16 06:54 PM
    I just got a Priv. I am quite happy with it. If you have the patience to learn the new OS you will most likely enjoy it. Once I figured out that the square button shows you all your open apps so you can close things out, that made a world of difference.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-08-16 06:55 PM
    Go for it, just keep in mind it's not bb10 ,and I'm enjoying my priv
    03-08-16 06:59 PM
    For daily non corporate use, no second thoughts about it.
    If you are hooked to a corporate BES, stay with your Passport.
    03-08-16 07:02 PM
    I also switched from a Passport to the PRIV and couldn't be happier. There is a learning curve to a new OS but nothing you shouldn't be able to learn. Just be patient with it and enjoy.

03-08-16 07:02 PM
    I've been on BlackBerry since 2005.

Just ordered a Priv. Hopefully I made the right decision. I have 15 days to return.

I do have some Android experience with a Samsung tablet.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    fanisk likes this.
    03-08-16 07:22 PM
    I have owned just about every BlackBerry except the pearl and the storm 2 and most recent, the OG PP, Classic, P9983 and SE PP. Loved BB10 but love this Priv as well. You will enjoy it as long as you keep in mind that it isn't BlackBerry 10 OS.

Posted securely from my Priv
    03-08-16 07:24 PM
    bbry addict since late 90's, PRIV since Monday morning, so still early. I am pretty happy with it. I think it needs a little more development but certainly great to have a pkb to make android serviceable.

Really missing some of the work flow that is so elegant in bb10 but the fact is they are off to a better start than I expected. I would even say bb10 to android is an easier transition than bb07 to bb10 felt.

03-08-16 07:29 PM
    Get the Priv, keep the Passport as a backup.

BlackBerry is doing their best bringing over the BlackBerry experience without adding bloat.

That said there are some glitches. Like the BlackBerry content transfer app. I recommend not using it and finding another way to port your contacts over.

BlackBerry Priv
    03-08-16 10:29 PM
    This is a personal phone for me, not a super heavy user. Basically when I use my phone, I want to be as productive as possible. I also love the slider aspect of the phone, reminds me of my old 9800 which was awesome.

Posted via CB10
    If productivity is your major goal I would stick with the passport personally - since bb10 is hard to beat on that and I suspect the priv has disappointing battery life from my experience with other android phones. From what i've read the Priv is not fully refined yet and seems to have a lot of bugs.

If app selection is a major thing to you then android is clearly a major consideration, but other then that I think bb10 is hard to beat. There are plenty of people dissing bb10 now on this forum, but they are overplaying it since the OS still has a lot of life left in it for people that value productivity first.

Android isn't that bad but it's also not that good . you'll miss bb10 for sure.
    The thing that bothers me most about Android is the battery life honestly - not sure why Google can't make an efficient OS.
    03-08-16 10:53 PM
    Back to Passport for me. Battery life is atrocious. One burns their fingers. Too many BlackBerry features missing.

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Passport
    emellow likes this.
    03-09-16 12:15 AM
    Back to Passport for me. Battery life is atrocious. One burns their fingers. Too many BlackBerry features missing.

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Passport
    Problem is the app support is dropping and my Z30 is acting up. I can't see getting a new BB10 device anymore at this point.

Android is not great on battery, you are right about that. My Galaxy Tab needs to be shut down all the time or it will chew through half a battery just on standby during the day.

03-09-16 01:17 AM
    Switched from passport to Priv , I'm a heavy user. I use my phone for business and personal and no going back for me

Posted via My BlackBerry PRIV cause I'm a Priviot
    03-09-16 01:24 AM
    I've been exclusively a Blackberry owner for the past 9 years (5 phones in that time) and so far of all Blackberry phones the Priv is my absolute favourite. I love it. It feels Blackberry to me with all the added benefits of Android. It's a great phone, you won't regret it if you give it a chance.

03-09-16 03:15 AM
    Forgot to add, heavy user both for work and for personal.

03-09-16 03:15 AM
    Question on how long emails will be accessible on the Priv?
    I am currently using a BBRY Classic for work and have had many variants of Blackberry's over the years.
    With the Classic as well as other Blackberry's I have used, emails could be set to sync forever.
    I know on the Android devices I have played with sync a maximum of two months.
    The account I am concerned with is a work account which does not use active sync.
    My work is allowing the Verizon Priv but, I am not sure if it will be a good fit if it does not allow emails to sync longer.
    Thanks for the help!

03-09-16 06:48 AM
    Have been a Blackberry user since '03

Went to the Priv about a month ago -- the transition has been less trouble for me than BB7 to BB10 was, and the availability and reliability of the appworld more than makes up for anything I'm missing about BB10

I do miss Bridge, since I have a PlayBook. I didn't use Blend enough to miss it now.
    03-09-16 07:26 AM
    You will have to learn to find 3rd party apps for a lot of functions that were built into BB10.

And while it is only a couple of days, I keep trying to SWIPE apps closed/minimized.
    03-09-16 09:01 AM
    Question on how long emails will be accessible on the Priv?
    I am currently using a BBRY Classic for work and have had many variants of Blackberry's over the years.
    With the Classic as well as other Blackberry's I have used, emails could be set to sync forever.
    I know on the Android devices I have played with sync a maximum of two months.
    The account I am concerned with is a work account which does not use active sync.
    My work is allowing the Verizon Priv but, I am not sure if it will be a good fit if it does not allow emails to sync longer.
    Thanks for the help!

You can choose forever. Also, it gives the ability to do a remote search just as in the past. I have 5 email accounts (one exchange) and it works great for me. I prefer to use my Priv as its easier to search etc. Using the pkb to scroll becomes addictive.

Enjoying the Priv
    fanisk likes this.
    03-09-16 09:18 AM
    I like many of the long time BlackBerry user comments. I'm excited to get my Priv - hopefully before the weekend.

03-09-16 09:56 AM
    I have done the same switch back in December. It took me about two weeks to get used to Android and learn how to enable / disable things and customize the phone to my needs. For sure there is a learning curve in this but I was really enjoying this since it's always interesting to learn new things. I am really very pleased with the Priv and don't regret a minute for my choice.
    Wrec likes this.
    03-09-16 02:06 PM
    I appreciate all your feedback! I've sent an email to my carrier to get the ball rolling on getting a PRIV. Looking forward to giving you an update on how I make out with it.

Posted via CB10
    fanisk likes this.
    03-09-16 02:34 PM
    If productivity is your major goal I would stick with the passport personally - since bb10 is hard to beat on that and I suspect the priv has disappointing battery life from my experience with other android phones. From what i've read the Priv is not fully refined yet and seems to have a lot of bugs.

If app selection is a major thing to you then android is clearly a major consideration, but other then that I think bb10 is hard to beat. There are plenty of people dissing bb10 now on this forum, but they are overplaying it since the OS still has a lot of life left in it for people that value productivity first.

Android isn't that bad but it's also not that good . you'll miss bb10 for sure.
    The thing that bothers me most about Android is the battery life honestly - not sure why Google can't make an efficient OS.
    My experience with BB10 was that BlackBerry couldn't make an efficient OS.... My Z10 (underpowered compared to the Passport huge battery) required me to carry my spare battery all the time.

I made the switch to Android a couple of weeks ago.... Android seems fine where battery life is concerned. As long as you consider what is running..... Doesn't matter if you buy a Samsung, a Motorola or a BlackBerry PRIV.... each OEM is going to have their suite of apps that they think you need running all the time. Then you have Carriers that add what they believe you need. And then you start adding apps, and using their Widgets... You phone is simple working harder, all the time.

There are thread that talk about disabling a lot of the BlackBerry features in the PRIV, and how that greatly improves Battery life. So the way I see it, stock Android is very efficient. It's what the user allows to be running all the time that can reduce an Android's battery life.

Thankfully my Turbo 2 has a big battery like the Passport... so even allowing a number of very useful little widgets to run doesn't stop me from having two days worth of battery power.

As for missing BB10... I greatly miss BLEND and the HUB, but I can live without them.
    03-10-16 09:06 AM
    My experience with BB10 was that BlackBerry couldn't make an efficient OS.... My Z10 (underpowered compared to the Passport huge battery) required me to carry my spare battery all the time.
    I've never tried the z10 so I can't speak about that. But I have had several Android phones, including the yotaphone 2 which in theory can have amazing battery life (although admittedly I used the color screen too much) and yet I still felt the battery struggled to get through the day.
    But the q10 has amazing battery life in comparison & I suspect the passport is closer to that if not exceeding it.

But i've also never done a lot of customization on the default apps as you mentioned so maybe it could be optimized for the priv.
    03-10-16 11:14 AM
85 123 ...