My Sony Z3 died on me and the estimate to fix is more than doing a hardware upgrade. Rogers is being kind by giving me a $100 hardware credit over the current prices, plus waiving my early hardware upgrade penalty, PLUS giving me 2 months free. So I can get into almost any of their phones for pretty much nothing. The Galaxy S7 Edge really being the only one I'd have to give up some green for.

Before my Sony Z3 I owned the Z10 and Z30 from BB, as well as the Bolds and Curves and Pearls all the way back to old 'red as I like to call her. Part of me misses the BB keyboard, and I really missed HUB, but couldn't deal with the bad app implementation, work around, and limitations to get my favorite Android apps working. My Z3 has been the best phone I ever owned until the data services antenna failed.

Right now it's between the Priv and the S7 Edge. I have until Thursday to make a decision (he has lots of Priv in stock but no Edge's until Thursday). I'm pretty torn here...

The Priv has a lot of reviews and user opinions all over the place ranging from heat to bad battery to clicky hardware. It's also bulkier in feel than the S7 Edge after handling both side by side. On the flip side, I absolutely love the notification tray and "mostly naked" feel of the Priv OS vs Touchwiz. The keyboard feels good, and while the curved screen doesn't appear to have as much functionality it does the major functions from what I can tell. The screen delivers an awesome picture, and I'm pretty happy with the responsiveness. I haven't loaded any games, but I really only play two (Galaxy of Heros and Tiny Tower Vegas).

I'm pretty hard user (like most BB users I'm sure) and my Z30 never got me through a day of work. Actually my Sony is the first phone that got me from 6am to 10pm on a regular basis (with 20% remaining most days). I often don't have a place to plug in either... So battery is a huge concern for me. (I had 3 spare batteries for my Z10 to get me through a day)

So... long term users, are the issues as random as it seems and the minority is complaining but the majority happy? Is this a good device for heavy power users?

My pros cons

Priv Pro:
    Keyboard both software and hardware
    Android not raped by Touchwiz
    ultra secure
    less expensive
    better screen?

S7 Edge Pro:
    feels smaller even though it's wider
    Marshmallow
    waterproof
    battery is better (apparently)
    perceived build quality
    more gimicks?
    03-21-16 05:25 PM
    You should get an iPhone, Samsung's are horrible.
    Neanderthal likes this.
    03-21-16 05:48 PM
    I didn't think I'd be okay with Android, but do far moving from Passport to Priv, I do love my Priv.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    poonsaloon likes this.
    03-21-16 06:31 PM
    The battery problems are getting on my nerves but besides that still a good device.
    03-21-16 06:34 PM
    Well, the Hub is not quite what you had on the Z10/30. And I'm not sure that I would call it "ultra-secure" but it does remain unrooted.

I'd suggest giving the keyboard a test for a while at a shop it you can. Some folks have easily adapted, others less so.

Waterproof would be nice if you need it. I am guessing Marshmallow will eventually show up.

Just some random musings....
    03-21-16 06:58 PM
    The battery problems are getting on my nerves but besides that still a good device.
    Hey bud, my battery was terrible too. Turns out it was the Facebook app. It was draining my Priv like crazy. Uninstall it, and use Facebook through your browser.

Now I'm getting all day on one charge.

Attached Thumbnails Long term users - still love it?-10846.jpg  
    ravencore likes this.
    03-21-16 07:09 PM
    I have been using the priv for a week and a half. I really like this phone. Priv makes good use of Android OS and gives it the tweaks needed to make it really work, for me at least. I love having the virtual keyboard back that I missed from the Z30. There are other little changes and gestures that I felt were missing from BB10 that I liked from the S6. I used an S6 for a year before coming back to BlackBerry. I think this phone will hold up well for a year or so.

03-21-16 07:35 PM
    I went from a z30 that I love but was sick of all the unfixed software bugs to a priv about 3 weeks ago. I'm liking my priv. I still miss my z30 sometimes. I am a new pkb user and I'm liking it. I use it for emails and posts here. My battery lasts me all day. I'm not a power user but I've been using it for texts and email, a few phone calls and I had radio streaming for about 2 hours today. Battery is at 53% 12 hours later. My phone only gets warm when charging or doing updates sometimes. Android just ain't as smooth as bb10 but I knew that going in. I'm on vzw and can say this phone feels nice and solid like a BlackBerry should

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    03-21-16 07:53 PM
    Yes. Love my Priv. Been using it since early January.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    03-21-16 07:55 PM
    Today

03-21-16 07:55 PM
    Trying to enter a picture and it's not loading. One more try

Attached Thumbnails Long term users - still love it?-24094.jpg  
    03-21-16 07:56 PM
    I'm finding the experience to be OK, but I find the lag very bad.

Opening and closing apps have really bad lag.

03-21-16 08:02 PM
    My daughter and I have had ours since launch and are still very happy with it. Battery life has been excellent as well as the build of the phones. Yes there are some annoyances with them, but that is true for any phone or OS.

andy957 and so crow like this.
    03-21-16 08:03 PM
    You should get the new iphone SE. Its the closest you can get to a BB10 experience. Definitely not Android

03-21-16 08:11 PM
    I have had the Priv for almost 3 weeks now and after it settled in its getting close to a full day. I am a power user in the fact that I send/receive emails and texts all day, about 3 hours of talking/day and about 2 hours of streaming music via WiFi. As you know you can't buy a spare battery so for the super heavy days I invested in a quick charger for work or happy hour after work. I also carry a quick charge battery pack that is about the size of a pack of gum if I'm super low and not near a plug. I would go for the Priv over Samsung any day.

andy957 likes this.
    03-21-16 08:59 PM
    I can't call myself long term having just recently gotten one. I am thoroughly enjoying it though. That said, if the S7 is what you're after check out the Rogers website. They have some promotion that can net you the S7 (regular I believe) for $0.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    03-21-16 09:08 PM
    Bought it at launch (November), no second thoughts about it.

Although, this is my first Android phone.
    03-21-16 09:36 PM
    I also believe that if you're getting an Android, then get the Priv. If not, get the iPhone. Don't opt for Samsung or other oem's

03-21-16 09:43 PM
    I also believe that if you're getting an Android, then get the Priv. If not, get the iPhone. Don't opt for Samsung or other oem's

I disagree.

Priv.

If not Priv, Nexus.

If not Nexus, LG.

If not LG, stone knives and bearskins.
    03-21-16 09:45 PM
    I own an iphone6 as my work phone, worst phone ever.

Why does everyone say Iphone if you don't want a blackberry here? Are you guys trying to troll or what?

Thank you for those that have given good advice. My wife is ordering one, I'll check it out before making a decision.
    03-21-16 09:58 PM
    I can't call myself long term having just recently gotten one. I am thoroughly enjoying it though. That said, if the S7 is what you're after check out the Rogers website. They have some promotion that can net you the S7 (regular I believe) for $0.

Posted via CB10
    That's right but you have trade in an old phone. In the OP's case that could be the reason to go to the S7.
    roba5263 likes this.
    03-21-16 10:02 PM
    I had a Blackberry Priv for about a month and if you're willing to struggle a bit to get things set up and control the heating by keeping track of apps that are misbehaving then go for it. I ended up trading it in and getting an S7 Edge and it is actually a much better phone than the Priv IMO. I highly recommend it because it's super-fast, the hardware is amazing, the battery life is through the roof and Touchwiz has been turned down quite a bit.
    lkyeg likes this.
    03-21-16 10:03 PM
    That's right but you have trade in an old phone. In the OP's case that could be the reason to go to the S7.
    It's between the two, but no phone to trade as my Z3 died a horrible death and I doubt they would give me anything for my Z30
    03-21-16 10:15 PM
    Go for the Priv. Amazing device. Only device which has amazing PKB and VKB.

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    Bay 13 and Sigewif like this.
    03-21-16 10:17 PM
    IPhone 3GS to 4s to z30 to Priv since launch .

Never was interested in android before but wanted the priv and still loving it. Would be nice if it was bb10 but with no developers giving it a chance this is the next best lol

Don't know where I will go if BlackBerry stops.. Maybe sony.. Definitely not liking the direction of the new iPhones.. Like really that SE is the same looking as 4 years ago but as small as 6 years ago. Their designs got boring

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    RSKandola likes this.
    03-22-16 05:09 AM
68 123