By default when you long press on the pkb you get an upper case letter. Is it possible to switch the behavior to give me symbols and numbers instead? I use symbols more than I use upper case letters, so this would be handy for me.

Thanks!
    Esi_T, nonamenomore and ViggenZ like this.
    12-08-15 06:17 AM
    By default when you long press on the pkb you get an upper case letter. Is it possible to switch the behavior to give me symbols and numbers instead? I use symbols more than I use upper case letters, so this would be handy for me.

Thanks!
    Yes this is a must have feature that has been in every physical qwerty keyboard I can remember. Need it badly!! I don't have my priv yet so I don't know the answer to your question. Can the fortunate ones elaborate on this?
    12-08-15 06:21 AM
    The priv pkb doesn't have that option afaik. The only option available atm is to enable or disable all gestures.
    12-08-15 09:42 AM
    Yes this is a must have feature that has been in every physical qwerty keyboard I can remember. Need it badly!! I don't have my priv yet so I don't know the answer to your question. Can the fortunate ones elaborate on this?
    See the demo...you can swipe down to get symbols symbols and again to get numbers. Although I agree, I would prefer being able to hold the button to get 1234567890()-_-+@*/:;"'?!,. instead of using the alt button.

Hopefully they will address this in a future update.
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-08-15 at 10:38 AM.
    12-08-15 09:50 AM
    Isn't that what the "alt" key is for? Plus you can always swipe down on the PKB just like you can on the VKB a la BB10 OS. Or is that not what you are looking for? plus to get a full view of all of the symbols available you can use the "sym" key (short for symbols I imagine) beside the space bar. The alt key and sym key have been on all pkbs since my first BB that I owned Curve 8890
    12-08-15 09:54 AM
    Press and hold the microphone key and they are there! Never mind you were asking about symbols not smilies ,my bad!

From my Awesome Priv!!!!
    12-08-15 10:00 AM
    Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I know you can get the symbols up in different manner. My question isn't how to use symbols; it's specifically if a long-press can give you a symbol instead of an upper case letter. As far as I know, and based on your replies, I'll take it that this isnt possible, at least not at this time.
    12-08-15 03:54 PM
    Ah yah sorry, it's been so long that I typed on a PKB (Torch 9800) that I totally forgot that the default behaviour before was to input the symbol of they key pressed.

And you're right, I would use that A LOT more than capitalizing a letter.
    12-08-15 04:09 PM

Thanks!
    My Treos did this perfectly. Boy do I miss them.
    I can't remember the name of the hack that enabled this behavior on the Treos, but you could change the speed of the double tap to enable the number and press and hold would enable the capital letter.
    Can't someone create something like this for the Priv?
    12-08-15 06:24 PM

Thanks!
    It would indeed be nice to have that choice but ICYMI you can also double press the 'alt' key to get the 'alt lock' so all the consecutive buttons you press will result in typing with the secondary symbols up until you press the 'alt' key again to disable the 'alt lock'.
    Esi_T likes this.
    12-09-15 03:02 AM