WTF? I know there are a couple of marginally useful reasons for the hub to want to know where I am. But I should be able to use it without it knowing where I am.
    Now it won't do anything, unless I grant it permission to track my location. Can't even open a text or email.
    Is this just lazy and sloppy coding by BB, or is there something more sinister behind it.
    02-11-17 11:59 AM
    WTF? I know there are a couple of marginally useful reasons for the hub to want to know where I am. But I should be able to use it without it knowing where I am.
    Now it won't do anything, unless I grant it permission to track my location. Can't even open a text or email.
    Is this just lazy and sloppy coding by BB, or is there something more sinister behind it.
    If it does not know where you are, how can it deliver SNAIL mail directly to you when the carrier messes up?

I hate running into the stupid overlay restriction when I try altering permissions.

edited to add: I just looked and the Hub does not show a Location Permission.
    02-11-17 12:45 PM
    If it does not know where you are, how can it deliver SNAIL mail directly to you when the carrier messes up?

I hate running into the stupid overlay restriction when I try altering permissions.

In the "additional" permissions you will see "hub+ permissions". Hub+ accesses location.
    02-11-17 02:54 PM
    The Hub won't, it's under Hub+, which doesn't even appear to show individual permissions. It's either on, with whatever permissions it got at start up, or it's off.
    I just updated to 1.5.0.12392, I gave it the usual permissions, and denied location. It wouldn't even open, just kept giving me screen saying I had to grant it location.
    So I finally gave it permission - now there is no way to turn it back off. Or even see what Hub+ has been granted.
    I just turned Hub+ permissions off, whatever those permissions might be, hub seems to work OK
    02-11-17 04:20 PM
    Hub e.g. needs location if you snooze a message till arriving a specific GPS location:

BlackBerry apps have a good help page:
    http://help.blackberry.com/en/blackb...932459231.html

But I'm with you it should be possible to use it without that permission.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 02-11-17 at 09:12 PM.
    02-11-17 09:02 PM
    Hub e.g. needs location if you snooze a message till arriving a specific GPS location:

BlackBerry apps have a good help page:
    Snooze a message - BlackBerry Hub - latest

But I'm with you it should be possible to use it without that permission.
    That was explanation given by the phone, I referred to it as marginally useful, maybe, for somebody, somewhere.
    But once given, you can't even find that permission.
    Not helping BB's claim to be a security and privacy conscious software company, actually indicates no concern for privacy or security, and leaves a lot of doubt about their ability to write decent software.

Judging from the calender thread, there are a lot of similar concerns there. I haven't opened calender since the update, kind of afraid to.
    02-11-17 10:16 PM
    I stated that long time ago that BlackBerry should integrate the BlackBerry apps AND Google apps into DTEK app so we can set and surveillance the use of permissions for those apps too. Like this atm we can't be sure how often they make use of those permissions.

That's why I use an "fake location" app on top of setting and monitoring and the permissions. The app I use sadly has problems when searching in hub:
    /blackberry-priv-f440/hub-search-field-closes-directly-after-opening-1071392/#post12434558

But perhaps other apps are better in that field.
    02-12-17 02:21 AM
    I gave hub+ location permission, but i don't have location turned 'on', so it's a redundant permission. Point is though, hub+ didn't baulk at location not being turned on at device level ...
    02-12-17 07:08 AM
    Kinda wish Bla1ze would hop in here and correct me on this one.

I'm pretty sure that BlackBerry Hub+ Services is the new name for BlackBerry Services which are required for the phone to operate. It works at a system level and has nothing to do with the Hub app itself specifically.

I was able to toggle any and all permissions on and off and the Hub didn't refuse to launch.

All in all I don't think it's anything to freak out about.
    02-12-17 09:43 AM
    AFAIK you are right, the app name is https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...infrastructure so it is a services app that operates for all BlackBerry apps. It was renamed when BlackBerry opened their app suite to other devices as Hub+ suite. But I don't think under android it is necessary to "operate" the whole device but only the sync... to the BlackBerry apps.
    02-12-17 10:10 AM
    I frankly don't know what hub+ does, but after updating, the Hub would not open until I granted location permission, if the request was for Hub+, it was initiated by Hub, and maybe I didn't notice there was a + in there somewhere.
    Once a permission as sensitive as location is granted, it should also be able to be rescinded, or at least found. Not so, once granted it's not to be found or changed.
    As stated above there is 'additional permissions', located under apps > hub, labeled as such, but no way to see what they are, or what they do. A detailed look at the hub permissions will not show location.
    As also stated above with those additional permissions turned OFF everything seems to work fine. (I may not be able to snooze a message till I get to point A, (course I see no reason I would ever want to do that)).
    This is just really **** poor coding by BB, it's not that I'm freaking out, but this is the kind of crap I expect from Google, or one of the carriers app's, not BlackBerry.
    02-12-17 01:48 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean. Hub Services and Hub are different. I can see all permissions and turn them on and off. Nothing seems to cripple if I turn permissions off. Sorry if I don't follow.
    02-12-17 05:42 PM
    My bad, didn't realize I had to also turn on system apps to see it.
    Silly me assuming all apps meant all apps
    So if I add system apps to all apps, I can see the permissions, and turn them off or on. If I deny location the hub stops working, won't even open. Yet I can deny ALL Hub+ services permissions to the Hub and it works fine. This makes even less sense.
    02-12-17 06:58 PM
    I agree they should allow gradient permissions, and still have the hub open, but...

Let's face it, most of us go back to BBOS days, and then BB10, both of which BlackBerry knew our every move, and we never doubted their security and privacy. Also, who doesn't have remote location enabled for security?
    02-12-17 10:34 PM
    Kinda wish Bla1ze would hop in here and correct me on this one.

I'm pretty sure that BlackBerry Hub+ Services is the new name for BlackBerry Services which are required for the phone to operate. It works at a system level and has nothing to do with the Hub app itself specifically.

I was able to toggle any and all permissions on and off and the Hub didn't refuse to launch.

All in all I don't think it's anything to freak out about.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...infrastructure

WHAT'S NEW

• No longer requests access to your location when you install BlackBerry Hub+ Services
    • Minor enhancements and stability fixes
    04-06-18 09:32 AM