Hey guys,

I'm considering upgrading from my Passport to the Priv because as we all know BB10 has about a year left, realistically, with even basic services like BBW shutting down. Also because I love the Priv's design and I'd like to take advantage of the fact it's now cheaper than ever. (I'm aware of its bad battery life, but hey it's so sexy I think I can live with that).

I'm just worried about BlackBerry's long standing position on giving the middle finger to their customers. With all the lack of support they've shown towards BB10, it's hard to imagine it's a wise decision to buy a device they have now officially said is EOL'ed.

Do you think it's a wise decision to buy one now? Considering it's Android, and on Nougat (I *think*?) it seems that even without the monthly software updates, it could still continue to run and use practically all apps for years from now. The life span of the device would depend more on Google's support for Nougat than on individual developer's commitment to the platform.

Thoughts?

GTFOing from BlackBerry !
    01-09-18 11:01 AM
    Well, the chance that you're taking is that with no security updates coming that you will get torpedoed in some way down the line.

I am on a PRIV and I'm going to keep it for at least another year. It's a different scenario than BB10, because it's full, real Android and you'll likely get years of functionality out of it.

Then again, with how cheap PRIVs are getting, if a person wanted to get one and only keep it for a year, then you'll still do well.

I agree with your last statement.
    01-09-18 11:08 AM
    its EOL like you mentioned. No way i buy a product that is already EOL when much better choices on available on the market. You will be lucky to see any updates to the priv IMO that are worthwhile
    01-09-18 11:10 AM
    its EOL like you mentioned. No way i buy a product that is already EOL when much better choices on available on the market. You will be lucky to see any updates to the priv IMO that are worthwhile
    Yeah that makes sense but it depends on what your motivation behind getting a phone is. I'm not into the latest and greatest myself. I try to go with the cheapest, realistically complete option (as in, it's got to have basic apps and a good browser as well as calls and texts), nevermind if there won't be updates after that.

01-09-18 11:19 AM
    If you care about security the lack of monthly updates and how crucial they are on Android basically means the Priv would be a worse buy than a BB10 device. I think the only BB Android devices worth considering at this point are the Keyone and Priv.

If all you really care about is app support then Marshmallow will probably be good for at least another year, if you need high end games or applications the Priv might struggle.

Edit: And just to confirm the Priv isn't running Nougat, it's running Marshmallow. BB announced it won't be updating to Nougat a few months ago.
    01-09-18 11:24 AM
    If you care for official Support, then BlackBerry is not a place where you's want to venture. I was using Bold 4 until late into 2016, and was very happy using it. Uber app was my only reason to upgrade to an Android phone - Priv. I will use it as long as I can, and these phones are durable with high quality engineering. Anyways, PRIV with standard Android would continue to retain App Support from all app developers for many years to come.
    01-09-18 11:34 AM
    Priv has a brilliant design, but SD808 was the main reason why I never bought one. SD801/805 would've been much better on it, IMHO.
    Last edited by johnny_bravo72; 01-09-18 at 11:55 AM.
    IvanTheTolerable likes this.
    01-09-18 11:44 AM
    OP, At the current price range (200-230 brand new) it's very hard not to recommend the Priv, except for the lack of any more security patches.

As far as battery life goes, like any Android, it can be well optimized, and as long as you don't use CPU/GPU intensive apps, you should get at least 4.5 hours of SOT.
    01-09-18 12:47 PM
    Well, unlike BB10, the Priv runs Android, which still has apps, so it is nothing at all like what happened with BB10. The Priv will continue to function. It is a two year old phone, but it still runs, and runs well, with thousands of apps to choose from. My Z10 and Passport still run too, but no apps to speak of. A bit alarmist to compare the two scenarios.
    01-09-18 01:35 PM
    OP, At the current price range (200-230 brand new) it's very hard not to recommend the Priv, except for the lack of any more security patches.

As far as battery life goes, like any Android, it can be well optimized, and as long as you don't use CPU/GPU intensive apps, you should get at least 4.5 hours of SOT.
    But for $299 you can get a Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra. I bought my wife one in December, and I have to say I'm sort of jealous. It is much faster. I still love my Priv though since I actually use the PKB. I would not buy one at $230 today though, I would spend a little more and get the Sony most likely.
    01-09-18 01:37 PM
    They're not going to "pull a BB10", they actually manned up and said the Priv is EOL instead of leaving it to drift in limbo. Between the space heater CPU and the end of system updates (all bugs are features now) the Priv will only get worse over time as the Android ecosystem marches past it.

But for $299 you can get a Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra. I bought my wife one in December, and I have to say I'm sort of jealous. It is much faster. I still love my Priv though since I actually use the PKB. I would not buy one at $230 today though, I would spend a little more and get the Sony most likely.
    Importantly, the XA1 Ultra isn't EOL, and Sony is actually pretty good with updates, monthly and major. Something like this is worth the extra.
    PHughes likes this.
    01-09-18 01:56 PM
    We can name x amount of devices for Priv's current price that can do a million things better, but the slider PKB is obviously the differentiating factor that none other can replicate. So it's very hard to compare this phone in the first place.
    01-09-18 02:06 PM
    Hey guys,

Do you think it's a wise decision to buy one now? Considering it's Android, and on Nougat (I *think*?) it seems that even without the monthly software updates, it could still continue to run and use practically all apps for years from now. The life span of the device would depend more on Google's support for Nougat than on individual developer's commitment to the platform.

Thoughts?

Think you will find the Priv on 'M' not 'N' . Like the Dtek's, stuck on 'M' and never to see 'N'.
    Apparently, support from Google for 'M' ends in late 2018, so for about 9 months 'up to date' security status, wouldn't bother wasting the money..
    As others have said, better, more supported phones out there, unless a PKD is a 'must'
    01-09-18 02:16 PM
    pretty sure my xperia z5 compact is still being updated. it went from 5.1 to 7.1.1 but no oero.
    01-09-18 02:22 PM
    Hey guys,

I'm considering upgrading from my Passport to the Priv because as we all know BB10 has about a year left, realistically, with even basic services like BBW shutting down. Also because I love the Priv's design and I'd like to take advantage of the fact it's now cheaper than ever. (I'm aware of its bad battery life, but hey it's so sexy I think I can live with that).

Thoughts?

Hey πŸ˜ƒ So here are my thoughts on the matter. (I currently use one)

If you are a collector or just absolutely love the design - Then definitely purchase. The Priv is much cheaper now and could be worth it for the collection. It certainly does look fantastic.

Otherwise i would purchase a Blackberry Motion instead. Right now, the Priv is OK. It certainly is able to run all the games and Apps you throw at it but if you keeping the device for 2+ years. Android 10.0 or "Q" will be out by then and 6.0.1 Marshmallow is going to seem ancient. πŸ˜ƒ

At the end of the day it's up to you. πŸ˜ƒ
    01-09-18 04:59 PM
    it's a shame what happened to the PRIV
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    01-10-18 05:58 AM
    It's more a shame that BB didn't see in early testing that the SD808 sucks than the updates for 24 months only.
    01-10-18 06:14 AM
    The Priv is not worth the investment even at the lower prices. It has been two years. It is stuck on Marshmallow with no way to update to Nougat or Oreo. And compared to devices today like the S8 or Note8 or even the OnePlus 5t and even the KEYone and Motion as well as many others, the Priv is obviously slower and limited.

I loved my Priv, but there is a time to let dead things lie. Unless you just want the form factor or have a $100 to buy my used one with a case thrown in, then do your research and look for something else.
    01-10-18 06:33 AM
    Obviously a CB addict got caught with a CB account then got an intervention.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    01-10-18 06:35 AM
    Unless you just want the form factor
    I'm pretty sure people who are asking about the Priv in 2017-18 are not doing so because they love the Snapdragon 808 or creaky back panels lol
    newcollector likes this.
    01-10-18 08:08 AM
    Hey guys,

I'm just worried about BlackBerry's long standing position on giving the middle finger to their customers. With all the lack of support they've shown towards BB10, it's hard to imagine it's a wise decision to buy a device they have now officially said is EOL'ed.

Thoughts?

As a current priv owner, I would still recommend at the current price of $200 Cad new/ manufacturer refurbished. For $200 Cad, you are getting a very nice hardware, especially with the keyboard which costs extra on top of phones that don't have it.

As for the software, Marshmallow will still be good for another couple years if you do not care about running the latest games and such. BlackBerry stopped monthly updates but they did say that they would patch any critical security issues.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-18 08:17 AM
    Bought my Priv for β‚€299 in the Nov 16 Black Friday deals and it has proved a great buy. Build quality is first class and the 808 has behaved perfectly with no creaks, flexing or overheating and no lag I can discern. Box date was I think July 16 and I updated to Marshmallow out of the box. Its still on the CPW site at β‚€199.99 which is a lot of phone for the money. Just a shame that the security updates have stopped and still waiting for the patch for critical vulnerability.
    01-10-18 08:57 AM
    I'm pretty sure people who are asking about the Priv in 2017-18 are not doing so because they love the Snapdragon 808 or creaky back panels lol
    It's wintertime. Handwarmer feature is as unique as slider or PKB.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-10-18 09:04 AM
    Never mind. Can't load image
    01-10-18 09:07 AM
    Never mind. Can't load image
    I had issues with the image upload yesterday also. Could be an issue with the new CB Forums update
    01-10-18 01:01 PM
51 123