09-01-15 06:50 PM
60 123
tools
    Dylan posted some pictures a few weeks ago on his channel hinting at an IFA unveiling. Just have to wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    Instead of rumors, look at the layout. Pretty pictures don't mean much when BlackBerry isn't even on the list of exhibitors, products or media. Especially when you consider BlackBerry hasn't attended IFA in any real capacity in years. Unless they're being sooper dooper secret, I don't expect much, if anything lol.
    Superfly_FR, ptpete and cgk like this.
    08-31-15 05:43 PM
    The behavior will be similar to os10 but will look android. It will start up longer than the normal android due to security, but will run as smooth os 10. A slow camera and a double type pkb is a bonus. Something to remind you what makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha. I laughed so hard at that!!

Anyway - sure BlackBerry has hardened Android. But it's not going to be running on top of BlackBerry 10 OS.

It'd simply be (somewhat) hardened Android as close to plain vanilla Google nexus experience as possible.

In fact, I think they won't even 'skin' it much. They'd load their apps (vkb, bbm, contacts, hub etc) on top and secure Android for Work/Knox containers.

They are not going to risk undertaking a project that requires significant development/r&d effort. Especially, while they have been laying off and employee morale is all time low.

They'd modify as few parts as possible to reduce chances of introducing BlackBerry specific bugs.

They can perfect the skin and do further customizations later when they are selling in numbers again and employee morale has improved.

But at this time - it'd be a bad decision to invest (or commit) to heavily customize Android, risk introducing bugs, and risk timelines as key developers may leave anytime and such a large undertaking may never finish.

Smart thing would be to remain close to plain vanilla Android with BlackBerry apps loaded on top.

app bugs can always be fixed and pushed with app updates in Google Play store. But OS bugs take too much time to fix as it requires going through carrier testing cycle.

So, they won't risk heavily modifying the OS.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime and cgk like this.
    08-31-15 08:43 PM
    Where is troy in all of this talk? I'd like him to say his piece before all of this gets confirmed. After all he is the all knowing Google master.
    Troy (that would be me) believes that the Venice slider is almost certainly going to be running stock vanilla Android (like a Nexus), no BB "skin", but with the BB Experience Suite of apps pre-loaded. It will also contain the Android For Work hooks, which most MDM vendors, including BB, have been working with Google on - meaning BES's ability to manage and secure it will be much improved.

But I can't claim any inside knowledge (for a long time, I was dubious that BB would attempt an Android transition before they closed shop on the handset business), other than it is absolutely absurd to believe that Google is replacing the Android kernel with the QNX kernel - BB owns QNX, so why would Google license it when they have their own kernel, and why do all the work? And certainly BB isn't replacing the Android kernel - they don't have nearly the development staff for that, and again, it wouldn't pass Google's compatibility checks, so there would be no point. The whole premise of this post is a CB fantasy that doesn't take the need for a business reason for the expenditures into account, much less the risk vs. reward ratio.
    09-01-15 12:45 AM
    Yep - that is pretty much my position - the only thing we might be missing might be additional hardware security but otherwise it's android all the way.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    09-01-15 02:31 AM
    The most secure or Android device is one that is been updated to the latest version and has the known vulnerabilities patched. The farther you move away from stock android the longer it takes to propagate the fixes. If you're going to muck around with the kernel then you're asking for lots of work every time android is updated.

People talk about hybrid around here as if that's actually a good thing in computing. What works the best is full compatibility.
    09-01-15 02:45 AM
    Well, considering that the earliest version of the Slider was shown at MWC in early March, and BlackBerry has been focused on Software since long before that, it's not unreasonable to think that they've been working on it for that long.

You make it sound like BlackBerry just realized it was something that they should consider once the rumours started. "They think we're doing what? Oh, that's a good idea - let's do that!" It's pretty safe to say that they've been working on both the device and the Android integration for quite a while now. Not to mention, this is exactly what QNX does for other operating systems already.
    If they made a successful switch to QNX then this would happen to be the greatest thing that happened to Android since 4.2, the first usable consumer version. Also this would mark the second proprietary Android version besides Google Play Services Android.

I still think that is not the case but I hope I'm wrong. Most likely BlackBerry just joined the Android for work stable and that's about it. From what we have seen so far Venice is running 5.1 instead of Marshmallow and if they truly did port to QNX kernel why did they do it with 5.1 especially if Google engineers are on board with this (they have to be). Seems like a bad decision to invest into something that will be substantially updated, M update is almost as big inside as 5.0 was for the front.

I would be the first one to applaud BBRY for pulling QNX on Android. It would truly be an amazing evolutionary moment for a crapware Android is right now.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-01-15 06:53 AM
    Alot of wild theories that ignore completely the fact that Google and several others entities had the opportunity to purchase BlackBerry in its entirety. This includes QNX. No takers.
    It's not that simple. You don't decide and proceed like buying an apple next door. You cannot force stockholders to sell and in case of a buyout you have to reach a certain level of board members agreement. There has been takers but the offerings were too low ($15/sh was rejected by Chen publicly) or rejected by the Canadian government.
    Also, you have to keep in mind that an enterprise is not a product. It's the sum of the talents, with a culture and history. That's why, while such buyout could be imaged as "pocket money" for - say - Google, it's not only a matter of money. You have to be sure that talents and efficiency will still be there, at least long enough to get impregnated enough to make it fit your own standards and organization schemes.
    Or, balance it with the partnership/licensing options, often considered as the most safe and durable choice.

Sorry for the OT.
    09-01-15 07:53 AM
    I'd like to point to the "Churchill Meeting" where JC talked about QNX having a common Linux core with Android. While he didn't expand on that much but it does lead to one thinking there may be more to the Android integration story than simply loading one OS or the other.

I can't believe they haven't moved the ball more than just simple OS compatibility.
    09-01-15 10:46 AM
    I'd like to point to the "Churchill Meeting" where JC talked about QNX having a common Linux core with Android. While he didn't expand on that much but it does lead to one thinking there may be more to the Android integration story than simply loading one OS or the other.

I can't believe they haven't moved the ball more than just simple OS compatibility.
    Chen was speaking off the cuff so I give him leeway. He is not correct tho, its not Linux but Unix that QNX has a common history with as Linux came after QNX.
    09-01-15 10:55 AM

This was Chen dancing in circles trying not to answer the direct question asked him (is BB building an Android phone). To think he was cryptically trying to tell the world something, or that there was deeper meaning to what he was saying is wishful thinking amongst the CB faithful.

Sorry folks, but this will be a vanilla Android device with a light BB skin/BB apps (hub, VKB, et, etc). That's it IMO.
    09-01-15 06:50 PM
60 123