Haha... Awesome.
    08-31-15 07:40 AM
    I see somebody already remove the copyright to my mockup )
    Sorry got it from my Bbm group, yes that is your pic
    blackberriesru likes this.
    08-31-15 07:49 AM
    Smells like bull.

That Oslo (Android silver Passport) runthrough managed to get the Android kernel version on screen for a moment:

3.4.0-grsec-(some_build_id)

Much less fanciful than parroting the word "microkernel" like some sort of defective.

Posted via CB10
    Also, Dud� said there were only 4 Oslos with that setup. By default, Android carries some patches from the Grsecurity project, so that kernel string may not mean hardened Android, it may be stock Android.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    08-31-15 07:59 AM
    Well, not entirely untested. It has been dealing with the BB10 Android runtime.

Posted via CB10
    True, but I hope they are able to launch apps just as fast as a normal Android device. If it's as slow as BB10 then it's a disaster.
    08-31-15 08:14 AM
    Makes a lot of sense and would also be a solution to Microsoft's legal claim over Android and the related fees they have been extracting from manufacturers.

http://www.howtogeek.com/183766/why-...d-device-sold/

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    08-31-15 08:32 AM
    Makes a lot of sense and would also be a solution to Microsoft's legal claim over Android and the related fees they have been extracting from manufacturers.

Why Microsoft Makes $5 to $15 From Every Android Device Sold

Posted via CB10
    But I think BB also has to pay Microsoft some money at least for the FAT patent for the SD card
    08-31-15 08:41 AM
    It makes sense to me...
    08-31-15 08:41 AM
    Drivers are a non issue here. Remember BlackBerry wrote all drivers powering your BlackBerry phones, with NDAs and everything. And BlackBerry wrote them, not vendors. I repeat that, because lots of exploits rely on kernel drivers provided by vendors.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    Are you sure?

Another poster explained the reason BlackBerry has recycled the same chipsets in so many devices it the cost associated with the vendors (Qualcomm) providing drivers that would work with BB10. It wasn't that BlackBerry had these just laying around, they just didn't want to pay Qualcomm a $100K dollars for custom drivers for ever new device with different chips.

I do know their License Agreement makes mention of 3rd Party Hardware and Software.
    08-31-15 09:26 AM
    Lol that's looks awesome

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 09:49 AM
    I don't see any hybrid kernel being worked on/released. They simply don't have enough people to do this work.
    Android is going to be your regular Android with BB Experience Skin (vkb, hub etc) and secure (Android for Work/Knox) containers but other than that it is going to be very close to plain vanilla Google Android.
    LuvULongTime and cgk like this.
    08-31-15 10:47 AM
    Android is supposedly "open source". So how do we know whether or not BlackBerry modified android with the QNX kernel? Doesn't the kernel have all the device drivers in it? So BlackBerry would already have the drivers it needs.
    In order to make android "secure" they would have to harden the kernel and drivers somehow to avoid all the exploits the XDA folks keep finding to root devices.
    All this really doesn't sound impossible to me. But whether true or not. Expect a "hardened" android that will NOT be rooted.
    08-31-15 10:49 AM
    There is no doubt it is running QNX. QNX is almost everywhere now.
    08-31-15 10:51 AM
    I think this is actually possible. However, that is only if you believe that Google and BlackBerry are working closely to make Android secure. I could see this working as a part of the Android for Work campaign. If Google makes BlackBerry the face of this campaign, not only would BlackBerry be able to keep their standing as a cyber security company, but would also be able to reach the segment of the market that didn't care in the first place and were going to choose Android either way.

Posted via CB10
    Of course it's possible it's just requires complete rewrite and unless Google has setup devoted team of devs for that sole purpose reality is its impossible for BlackBerry to pull that off.

That's like saying Microsoft partnered up with Apple, removed NT kernel and switched Windows to XNU kernel. Yup, possible in theory. In reality it needs at least one year to rewrite and another to test the new thing, at least.
    08-31-15 11:06 AM
    Isn't this pretty much the auto infotainment model brought to cell phones. Most of the infotainment systems out there are Qnx at their core with someone else's UI, skin or Overlay. This scenario would allow BlackBerry to put virtually to put QNX at the core and behind virtually any system. And end users could enjoy the experience they are used too. This would effectively bring bb's legendary security to any platform that wants it. It would mean though that to ensure security, content and apps would need to be vetted to ensure they do not compromise security and access; as was the case in the hacked cars recently.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 11:09 AM
    Of course it's possible it's just requires complete rewrite and unless Google has setup devoted team of devs for that sole purpose reality is its impossible for BlackBerry to pull that off.

That's like saying Microsoft partnered up with Apple, removed NT kernel and switched Windows to XNU kernel. Yup, possible in theory. In reality it needs at least one year to rewrite and another to test the new thing, at least.
    Well, considering that the earliest version of the Slider was shown at MWC in early March, and BlackBerry has been focused on Software since long before that, it's not unreasonable to think that they've been working on it for that long.

You make it sound like BlackBerry just realized it was something that they should consider once the rumours started. "They think we're doing what? Oh, that's a good idea - let's do that!" It's pretty safe to say that they've been working on both the device and the Android integration for quite a while now. Not to mention, this is exactly what QNX does for other operating systems already.
    AdamThatsIt and Superfly_FR like this.
    08-31-15 12:52 PM
    The behavior will be similar to os10 but will look android. It will start up longer than the normal android due to security, but will run as smooth os 10. A slow camera and a double type pkb is a bonus. Something to remind you what makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 01:27 PM
    The behavior will be similar to os10 but will look android. It will start up longer than the normal android due to security, but will run as smooth os 10. A slow camera and a double type pkb is a bonus. Something to remind you what makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Haha?
    tufcustomer likes this.
    08-31-15 01:31 PM
    Interesting to say the least...love water cooler talk
    08-31-15 01:42 PM
    Where is troy in all of this talk? I'd like him to say his piece before all of this gets confirmed. After all he is the all knowing Google master.

Posted via CB10
    ray689 likes this.
    08-31-15 01:49 PM
    Also, Dud� said there were only 4 Oslos with that setup. By default, Android carries some patches from the Grsecurity project, so that kernel string may not mean hardened Android, it may be stock Android.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    Screencap from the video:

"Leak on reddit"-kversion.png

It's very definitely an in-house build, since ec_agent pops up with regards to builds of QNX/BB10 inside the OS.

3.4.0 seems to be the kernel version in stock 5.1, so I'm assuming BlackBerry took it and hardened it for their flavor of Android.

I can't seem to find any non-BlackBerry versions with grsec in the version string, though. A greater-than-a-couple-patches implementation of grsecurity is my guess.
    lift and light_barer like this.
    08-31-15 02:27 PM
    Dont know what people get bent out of shape for. We know for fact BB10 is running as BBOS is booted righ on chipsets for encryption. We also know we have a runtime which you can use droid loader on. We also know of the hypvisor method & the qnx method used in cars.

Android is not core OS thats well know.Its gonna run on top whilst BB10 in the background for the droid folks.BB have already been modifiying droid side since the runtime was known.Just now goog might have made an exception for certain apis to used. I only care about using bb10 personally so dont gives a **** about this ****ty skin.
    08-31-15 03:32 PM

Toss it on the immensely large rumor pile. Sounds like a mish-mash of what has already been said coupled with what John Chen alluded to during his Churchill interview. Also, notably the same throwaway account that posted the other rumors to Reddit.. we're still waiting to see if IFA stuff pans out. Right now, doesn't look like it but lots of time left.
    AdamThatsIt likes this.
    08-31-15 03:38 PM

Toss it on the immensely large rumor pile. Sounds like a mish-mash of what has already been said coupled with what John Chen alluded to during his Churchill interview. Also, notably the same throwaway account that posted the other rumors to Reddit.. we're still waiting to see if IFA stuff pans out. Right now, doesn't look like it but lots of time left.
    Dylan posted some pictures a few weeks ago on his channel hinting at an IFA unveiling. Just have to wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 04:01 PM
    they probably built an android interface app that uses the Android run time on BB10, there have been developers building these apps since the playbook 2.0 beta was released. I'm sure with this Google has allowed BlackBerry a license to run their apps because of it and the base OS is still BlackBerry's secure platform.

it basically works since the monolithis kernel of the Linux Based Android is basically one solid application and can run in QNXs microkernels app space rather easily.

if my theory is right that's pretty smart of the BlackBerry engineers, its actually pretty brilliant that they have gotten the runtime to run as fluidly as an actual Android phone. and this theory came to me when watching chens latest interview with that "whatever" lunch group, when he was asked about Android phones and him saying the systems are similar and with their Android runtime they have been able to do a lot of things.
    08-31-15 04:10 PM
    Alot of wild theories that ignore completely the fact that Google and several others entities had the opportunity to purchase BlackBerry in its entirety. This includes QNX. No takers.

I dont see any concessions being made for BlackBerry, QNX, or BB10. Not even BlackBerrys current customers have made such concessions. They are leaving in droves

Methinks some have been sipping the fanboy punch too vigorously. All of these overly complicated solutions to a non problem.

Guess we will all find out in a few weeks.

!
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    08-31-15 04:34 PM
60 123