05-17-17 09:28 AM
49 12
tools
    Also disable Facebook! It's a battery hog. You can install Swipe PRO which is a Facebook client app, has a dark theme and low usage of bat. Works great.
    newcollector likes this.
    05-07-17 11:13 AM
    Been doing all the suggestions....Still no battery usage improvement. Android OS battery usage is a joke - many apps cannot be uninstalled. Reminds me of the movie Tron. Will only get fixed if enough users and developers complain. My Priv is supposed to be a tool, not an end in itself!
    FF22 likes this.
    05-07-17 01:19 PM
    What is "peaking" under app notifications? Whatever it is, when I disable a bunch of 'em and then do a reboot, dey all back ON !!!
    05-07-17 07:53 PM
    Weird, I run two Privs and battery life has improved dramatically on both, like an extra 20% at end of day. I use my PRIV for work pretty much identical usage daily, so I'm not imagining it...I dont have any of the problems most people list either. Mine is still quick, bug and annoyance free, just works so well. Gets slightly warm at times but no big deal
    FF22 likes this.
    05-08-17 12:35 AM
    If it were the security update that caused the problem everybody would be here complaining. 5 or 10 people didn't get some kind of 'special' update, different from all the rest.
    A lot of apps tend to update just before or just after a security update, but it's always the security update that gets blamed.
    I'd start by uninstalling every social and messaging app, except your plain old texting app. Then reinstall them, one per day, checking permissions, and notification settings on each one as you go. You may find a bad app, or you may find that everything just works. Face Book is known for changing whatever permissions, and notifications you may have set with their updates.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-08-17 06:45 AM
    Dude, you just made my head explode ! THE raison d'etre for Android was boatlloads of apps, n'cest pas ? Now you are saying I gotta step thru my apps and, and...Security issues are beginning to make Android look like a POS !
    05-10-17 02:55 PM
    Ocean's of apps, but only boatloads of decent ones.
    And yes, BlackBerry is no longer babysitting you. BlackDroid is as secure as you make it, or as insecure as you don't.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-10-17 09:31 PM
    Dude, you just made my head explode ! THE raison d'etre for Android was boatlloads of apps, n'cest pas ? Now you are saying I gotta step thru my apps and, and...Security issues are beginning to make Android look like a POS !
    BlackBerry security is the ability to deny permissions for snooping apps. Of course Android is a POS - just look at the laments from BB10 users! If BB10 had the handful of apps that make a smartphone a smartphone, none of us would be here complaining about Android.

We're here to share our experience with making the most of a mediocre situation. App permissions can lead to excessive data and battery usage - at least we have the ability to control them, however time-consuming this process may be.
    FF22 and Wezard like this.
    05-11-17 08:04 AM
    Once you get things set and remove or alter the offending apps, the rend result makes the whole effort worthwhile. I continue to have issues with my phone as soon as I install FB. I do not know why. I turn off all notifications and still it causes my phone to at times heat up, lag and freeze. As soon as I remove that one app, everything is great!

Now why does this happen to me and not other people? I don't know. It may actually be a combination of apps I have installed that don't agree with FB or something else. Whatever the reason, I am more than happy to make Facebook a Web activity just so my Priv works like it should.
    05-11-17 10:14 AM
    Hello I removed Facebook long ago on my PRIV and noticed a great improvement . Installed SWIPE PRO a FB client app that has great features including a dark theme. Hardly uses battery.
    All okay.

Posted via PRIV and or PASSPORT SE
    FF22 and newcollector like this.
    05-11-17 11:01 AM
    Hello I removed Facebook long ago on my PRIV and noticed a great improvement . Installed SWIPE PRO a FB client app that has great features including a dark theme. Hardly uses battery.
    All okay.

I will give swipe a try. Thanks Rico!
    05-11-17 03:03 PM
    I will give swipe a try. Thanks Rico!
    Tell me how it goes.

Uninstall FB, clear cache and right after reset device. Then install Swipe Pro.

Good luck

05-11-17 03:39 PM
    Once you get things set and remove or alter the offending apps, the rend result makes the whole effort worthwhile. I continue to have issues with my phone as soon as I install FB. I do not know why. I turn off all notifications and still it causes my phone to at times heat up, lag and freeze. As soon as I remove that one app, everything is great!

Now why does this happen to me and not other people? I don't know. It may actually be a combination of apps I have installed that don't agree with FB or something else. Whatever the reason, I am more than happy to make Facebook a Web activity just so my Priv works like it should.
    You can also try Facebook lite. The official app for "low internet speed" areas which i think it's better than the full app in many regards. Unfortunately i couldn't get used to the web-based look so i switched back to the full app but maybe it will work better for you.
    05-11-17 03:54 PM
    I have stayed away from anything that has Face..etc..as on any Forum it's known that FB basically does more than you think on your device. But too each his own.
    05-11-17 03:57 PM
    I continue to have issues with my phone as soon as I install FB
    Installed SWIPE PRO
    You are far from the only one that has FB causing big problems, FB and WhatsApp are prob the cause of over half of all heat and bad battery complaints. Across all devices, though the Priv might be more susceptible.
    Haven't tried Swipe Pro, I'm using Friendly, same concept, both are smaller, better apps that connect directly to the FB servers. If Swipe Pro doesn't suit you, try Friendly.
    05-13-17 08:14 AM
    You can also try Facebook lite. The official app
    FB has gotten so bad I refuse to even try anything official.
    You should try Swipe Pro or Friendly. The latter has an appearance pretty close to the regular FB app.
    And, I don't think any third party app could possibly be worse as far as spy ware.
    05-13-17 08:23 AM
    I have been through various combinations but I have narrowed it down to bluetooth. If I disable bluetooth, I can get 3 or more days of very light use out of it but if bluetooth is enabled I am down to just over a day even if bluetooth is not linked to anything and bluetooth usage of 18%. There was another update yesterday but it didn't have seem to have any effect.
    05-13-17 01:38 PM
    I have been through various combinations but I have narrowed it down to bluetooth. If I disable bluetooth, I can get 3 or more days of very light use out of it but if bluetooth is enabled I am down to just over a day even if bluetooth is not linked to anything and bluetooth usage of 18%. There was another update yesterday but it didn't have seem to have any effect.
    Yes ! I BT to my precious FitBit HR and I am beginning to think BT itself is a major culprit !
    05-13-17 04:51 PM
    I have BT on all the time, connected to Garmin Vivofit and Plantronics Voyager Legend. No problems.
    Have you disabled Bluetooth scanning?
    Settings > Location > 3 dot menu > Scanning > turn OFF both WiFi and Bluetooth scanning. If left at the default ON, the phone is constantly scanning for signals that pretty much don't exist. Turning them off will have NO effect on your use of BT or WiFi.
    05-15-17 12:06 PM
    My scanning has always been off, so that isn't the problem with mine.
    05-15-17 02:25 PM
    What about location history? Mine is currently set to On, is it of any benefit? Will I gain battery if I turn it off?
    05-16-17 07:44 AM
    What about location history? Mine is currently set to On, is it of any benefit? Will I gain battery if I turn it off?
    I'd suggest turning it off and observing the results.

I personally don't want Google tracing my locations so have it off. Now I do leave the gps and location on. It is just history that I don't allow.
    05-16-17 10:04 AM
    Take this with a grain of salt, cuz I'm not completely sure, but I think whatever Google gets is real time, not from the history. Turning off history just frees up a bit of memory.
    Too tired tonight, maybe in the morning I'll look into it. Or maybe by then somebody trustworthy will have chimed in.
    05-16-17 09:53 PM
    I was fairly close to correct. Here's a pretty straight forward explanation of what it does and how to control it.
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-d...ation-history/
    Mines OFF, along with sharing, though I don't remember doing it. Course theres a lot I don't remember.
    05-17-17 09:28 AM
49 12