The last update of the Android operating system (April 2017) killed my battery life. It reduced my battery life by over 40%. Anyone else have the same problem?
    05-02-17 07:52 PM
    The last update of the Android operating system (April 2017) killed my battery life. It reduced my battery life by over 40%. Anyone else have the same problem?
    Have you rebooted?

From BB blog: How to reset PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
    Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won’t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

And just for an extra measure, if needed:

Safe Mode:

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it’s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed. Safe Mode may also remove apps and/or widgets from your various home screens when you go back to Normal.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off (that is Press/Hold the Power Off prompt line) when it appears
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.
    janzeeschuimers likes this.
    05-02-17 08:05 PM
    The battery sucks on the priv if you use it. My books gets the same battery life.
    05-02-17 09:52 PM
    Same here. I rebooted several times, cleared the cache, turned off location services and still battery is draining at a much faster rate than before. All apps were re-optimized during the update.
    05-02-17 09:53 PM
    Hmm, no change that I have noticed after April update. What does the battery monitor show eating most of your battery? Been working mine pretty hard since I took it off charge 8 hours ago and I still show 12 hours left.
    Attached Thumbnails Last Android Priv update reduced battery life by over 40%-35144.jpg  
    05-02-17 10:03 PM
    My Android OS is showing 21%.
    05-02-17 11:32 PM
    Google Play Services are the battery killer for me. More than screen, which used to have the top spot.
    05-02-17 11:50 PM
    My Android OS is showing 21%.
    You must have something running in the background? Might have to try stopping apps one by one to see if there is any improvement. If you do this, I would start with recent new apps first since this just started happening.
    05-03-17 12:02 AM
    Interesting. my PRIV running perfectly and even better after each update. Getting full day easily with heavy use. Excellent.
    05-03-17 01:54 AM
    I'm with you OP, my battery life really got worse after the April update
    05-03-17 02:15 AM
    Same here. It's so intolerable I came back to the forum for advice. Took a few months to get this thing working optimally and I haven't been on crackberry since, now it's a train wreck. I have to charge every 2 hours. Useless. I have been deleting apps and accounts and caches for two weeks and nothing improves. !!!!
    05-05-17 07:45 AM
    Same here. It's so intolerable I came back to the forum for advice. Took a few months to get this thing working optimally and I haven't been on crackberry since, now it's a train wreck. I have to charge every 2 hours. Useless. I have been deleting apps and accounts and caches for two weeks and nothing improves. !!!!
    Might have to try a factory reset. Or maybe run it in safe mode for a day or 2 and see how the battery performs?
    05-05-17 08:54 AM
    Couldn't tell ya - still haven't received my April update on VZW PRIV.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-05-17 09:03 AM
    Bingo. I am on my third Priv. 'ol Doc nose Priv. Used to get 2 1/2 days per wireless charge. Now, while on this wireless charge, I cannot use the analog voice channel and gain on battery charging... Have, for the time being, uninstalled Norton WiFi security with its VPN - no joy. I smell kittens on the keys - plain 'ol human nature. Verizon, Google, and BB are squabbling over who is in charge of security. I really do believe that they have teams flying our Privs and adjusting their security code on the fly, even between so-called version / security updates. Yesterday I caught my Priv down loading a YouTube update without asking me....Doc Neutron
    05-05-17 09:18 AM
    After numerous resets, my battery life seems to be approaching what it was before the update. Couldn't find any apps working in the background but there might have been. Thanks for the suggestions.
    05-05-17 10:46 AM
    I rechecked my app permissions, one by one, and found that several apps that didn't previously have location permissions now had them, and were using location services even when they weren't running. I have turned off location access for everything except Maps, turned off Contacts access for everything except Hub and FB, and now battery life seems to be back to normal.

I don't know how permissions that were previously denied would suddenly be granted, but that's what seems to have happened. So much for 'security' update.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-05-17 07:17 PM
    I have GPS maps also off and turn on when needed.
    05-05-17 11:34 PM
    I have GPS maps also off and turn on when needed.
    The problem with turning off location services altogether is that the phone cannot be located if it's lost or stolen. That's why I usually keep them turned on - I had to use BlackBerry Protect more than once with my previous phones.

Prior to the April update, having location services turned on wasn't a major drain on the battery except during navigation. I hope I can get it back to the same rate of usage - or wait for the May update to fix it.
    05-05-17 11:53 PM
    The problem with turning off location services altogether is that the phone cannot be located if it's lost or stolen. That's why I usually keep them turned on - I had to use BlackBerry Protect more than once with my previous phones.

Prior to the April update, having location services turned on wasn't a major drain on the battery except during navigation. I hope I can get it back to the same rate of usage - or wait for the May update to fix it.
    You can have the general location switch turned on. And you can also turn on the permission for Android device manager. This will allow you to be able to locate your phone without all the other apps accessing your location all the time. The rest of the apps I turn on location when I use them and then turn permission back off.
    05-06-17 09:10 AM
    I noticed that too plus the videos on YouTube and Facebook freeze often now...anyone else has the same problem? Any fixes?
    05-06-17 12:06 PM
    As mentioned above, you probably have too much junk running in the background all the time. Check your app permissions, clear app cache, clear app data...all things you can try.
    05-06-17 06:32 PM
    As mentioned above, you probably have too much junk running in the background all the time. Check your app permissions, clear app cache, clear app data...all things you can try.
    That was exactly my problem. Contacts permission eats battery because the app is constantly syncing. I was surprised how many apps wanted to access Contacts - I denied all of them.

My battery life is back to pre-update level.
    05-07-17 12:04 AM
    You must have something running in the background? Might have to try stopping apps one by one to see if there is any improvement. If you do this, I would start with recent new apps first since this just started happening.
    Thanks, I turned off permissions for a bunch of my apps, let's see if that improves anything. My battery life isn't great.

I have a lot of apps on the phone I use from time to time, figure they're running in the background using battery. Does anyone know if disabling apps that come pre-installed on the phone and that you can't delete, does anything!
    05-07-17 06:58 AM
    Hello I would disable the HUB. Heard it helps.

Good luck

Posted via PRIV and or PASSPORT SE
    05-07-17 07:04 AM
    Thanks, I turned off permissions for a bunch of my apps, let's see if that improves anything. My battery life isn't great.

I have a lot of apps on the phone I use from time to time, figure they're running in the background using battery. Does anyone know if disabling apps that come pre-installed on the phone and that you can't delete, does anything!
    I disabled everything that came pre-installed by Google except Maps, text messaging and photo gallery. Even Gmail, which I use only for subscriptions, has no access to calendar or contacts.

Check apps that use contacts and location, especially FB and weather apps. They can use a lot of battery. And if you use FB Messenger, disable your active status. You will still be able to receive messages that are sent to you.
    05-07-17 10:11 AM
49 12