Back when the PRIV first came out I jumped on one. I sold it a month later and went back to my passport. Now that I have the KEYᵒⁿᵉ I miss the slide keyboard and large screen of the PRIV. How has it aged? I haven't used it since Lolipop, is the battery still a huge issue? What's a good price to pick one up? (Can)
    10-02-17 09:42 PM
    Marshmallow made a world of difference, it should never have been released with Lollipop.
    Battery life is pretty good, far from great though, definitely not as good as K1. I consistently get a full day, it's usually around 30 to 40% when I put it on the charger at night.
    Keyboard is a bit cramped and balance is a tad awkward when deployed, but it's not bad when you get used to it, as most of us do.
    That big beautiful, high def screen is worth the trade offs, the Priv makes the K1 look like a 1990's device.
    Be aware the Priv is not slated to get Nougat, but unless the split screen is a big deal to you, theres really not that much difference. General consensus is that Priv will continue to get security updates at least through the end of 2018. Since you're usually pretty secure for around 6 months after the updates stop, that gives you 2 years life left in the Priv. And they can be had for 250 to 350 USD.
    I've had mine since release + one day, not sure what I'll do 2 years hence, I'm definitely not going with a K1 like device with it's under sized, low res, oddball ratio screen. I'd give up the PKB before going with such a dated display, when you look at one turned off, you kind of expect it come up in monochrome.
    - Do not get an AT&T version, apparently it's very difficult, if not impossible to convert them to Factory nowdays. If you are one of those that can't get it converted, you will be stuck with security updates when and if AT&T decides to release them, and then only if there is an active AT&T SIM installed. And of course all the AT&T bloat and spy ware. Most sellers don't know the difference, (or pretend not to) between unlocked and Factory unlocked, so beware.
    Last edited by Wezard; 10-03-17 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Added AT&T warning.
    Bertie Bear likes this.
    10-03-17 06:13 AM
    Great summary by Wezard above.
    Being able to type, flick and scroll and still have use of that gorgeous large screen is great.
    Re battery life, best screen on time I've recorded is just over 6 hours which is fine for me. But when not in use (e.g. I'm using my Passport for a few days), it loses almost no battery charge at all in standby.
    Overheating and build quality have never been issues for me, very good camera, excellent call quality. Its a unique BlackBerry, a design classic and at current pricing, something of a bargain.
    Last edited by Bertie Bear; 10-03-17 at 10:06 AM.
    misterabrasive likes this.
    10-03-17 09:45 AM
    I also agree that Wezard provided an excellent overview and critique of the Priv.

I have had my AT&T Priv since launch and have no complaints. I have satisfactory battery life and don't experience a heat issue. I thought about getting a KEYone but have decided not to make a change... at least for the current version. I don't see any appreciable upside and I feel the Priv offers me more.

I plan on keeping my Priv for the immediate future unless TCL/BBM releases a KEYone that has features above and beyond the current version and then I will give it consideration. But in my opinion the current version would no be enough of an upgrade to make a change.

Bob
    10-03-17 10:13 AM
    You can get a Priv for $329 CAD on Amazon, if mine died tomorrow I'd get another one without thinking twice. And a buddy of mine has abandoned his iPhone 6 for a Priv just last month (gasp!) and loves it. It's a really cool phone and does everything I want it to really well.
    glwerry likes this.
    10-04-17 11:10 PM
    All this is true. I very much want to get a KEYone Black Edition, but I can't justify spending $600 for something that is a step in the wrong direction In some cases. I am one of the fortunate Priv owner's in that, I never experienced the problems so many people had with their Priv. I've had Marshmallow from the start and picked up my new unlocked device for $280 from dailysteals.com. I've seen them lower than that now. KEYone Black Edition is next for me, but not until my Priv has had a solid two years. I got mine in March of 2017. Again, because my Priv is running just fine, including battery life, I can't justify getting a new phone yet. And with the way my Priv is running, why would I want to?
    Rico4you likes this.
    10-05-17 05:21 AM
    Just got my wife an unlocked Priv for $320 Canada CAD on Amazon. Updates to OS and apps continue to roll in. We both have one now. Great phones. We had torches before. Only thing I miss is being able to use the trackpad as a mouse when browsing the web or playing games. My fat thumbs don't have the same precision. I honestly don't know why slide out keyboards aren't the industry norm.
    Rico4you likes this.
    10-05-17 05:38 AM
    All this is true. I very much want to get a KEYone Black Edition, but I can't justify spending $600 for something that is a step in the wrong direction In some cases. I am one of the fortunate Priv owner's in that, I never experienced the problems so many people had with their Priv. I've had Marshmallow from the start and picked up my new unlocked device for $280 from dailysteals.com. I've seen them lower than that now. KEYone Black Edition is next for me, but not until my Priv has had a solid two years. I got mine in March of 2017. Again, because my Priv is running just fine, including battery life, I can't justify getting a new phone yet. And with the way my Priv is running, why would I want to?
    I guess the only justifiable reasons to me is to get Nougat and to get a keyboard without having to slide it. I have just found out earlier this week that my priv (STV100-1) has wireless charging. It gave me a new reason to keep my priv for a while.

Like you, I will get the keyone as my next phone but my priv does everything I need it to so I don't see why I should switch right now either.
    10-05-17 02:20 PM
    Yeah, the dead ended Android M issue is there, but what does Android N offer that is a must have? Talk of split screen...but on a three quarter screen that's narrow? Do I really need or want that? I like the Priv so much that I think, for me, buying a KEYone right now I would be disappointed.
    10-05-17 08:04 PM
    Get yourself back to a BlackBerry PRIV, the only thing good abt a keyone is the battery life.
    10-07-17 04:55 PM
    You probably already know this, but the pkb also functions as a mouse pad, in lieu of the trackball/pad.

There was a Web browser on BB10 that featured split screens, called Web Splitter. That was so long ago. Meh.
    10-08-17 11:23 PM