After reading several articles and reviews on the blackberry priv, I've noticed one common assesment, which is that the phone overpriced.
    I see things like, " you can get another android device with better hardware etc. For less", so my question is, does the keyboard not have any value at all? The engineering to make it , implement it and things of that nature. I would like to think that there is an additional cost to manufacture it, so I guess another question is, do you think the hardware keyboard is overpriced? Wasn't typo selling keyboards for $99 or something like that

Posted via CB10
    BB_PP likes this.
    12-14-15 10:33 AM
    For sure the keyboard adds value, It's great as a trackpad, and for shortcuts. Although I will admit to using the onscreen keyboard for about 60 to 75 % of my typing, BUT I do scroll and use shortcuts with the physical keyboard often. Also the curve screen has a good utility also as it lets you swipe to see your day at a glance a VERY handy feature. And while I KNOW some have hacked SOME of the BB apps on to other Android devices, I find them to be indispensable, and they ALL are available and fully functioning on my Priv. (Yea YEA I know the Hub is better on BB10!)

PS That being said I DID feel the Priv was about 100 dollars more than it should have been!
    BB_PP and 00stryder like this.
    12-14-15 11:02 AM
    Only to those that view it as one.
    12-14-15 11:06 AM
    For sure it adds value, but whether or not you use is an entirely different conversation, my gripe was with the statements that claim the device is overpriced, as if the keyboard should be a free add-on

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 11:10 AM
    There's more that goes into pricing than just hardware specs. When you look, for example, in the automobile market, you'll find that pricing doesn't always necessarily track "hardware" specs. The year before Kia prices soared through the roof, they were offering quite the bang for the buck, and yet the entry level Honda equivalent with fewer features and lower HP was more expensive. Likewise, Lenovo PCs are usually priced higher than their Acer equivalents, even when an Acer has better specs. This is also notoriously the case with TVs, where the major brands are more expensive than the better spec'd knockoffs if looking at resolution and refresh rates.

It's up to the consumer to determine whether the pricing is justified in any other way (reliability, support, aesthetic, proprietary software, etc.). It's true for many things that a better spec'd product can be had for a cheaper price, but sometimes (not always) there's a tradeoff. In my case, I'm a bit of a design snob and would gladly pay more for something more visually interesting even if somewhat inferior in hardware to its equivalent.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-14-15 11:22 AM
    For sure it adds value, but whether or not you use is an entirely different conversation, my gripe was with the statements that claim the device is overpriced, as if the keyboard should be a free add-on

Posted via CB10
    i dont think the keyboard has ever made a BB more expensive. Look at the price for the q10 vs z10 vs z30 etc. All the high end bb10 devices except for maybe the passport all came in around the same initial price. I wouldnt have paid $100 for a q10 vs the z10 just because the keyboard was there.

The keyboard can be seen as extra value to some but others, like me, have no need or want for it. So for us we see a extra hardware failpoint, the crappy front camera and slightly thicker device as turnoffs created by something that you are "paying extra for"
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-14-15 11:31 AM
    i dont think the keyboard has ever made a BB more expensive. Look at the price for the q10 vs z10 vs z30 etc. All the bb10 devices except for maybe the passport all came in around the same initial price. I wouldnt have paid $100 for a q10 vs the z10 just because the keyboard was there.

The keyboard can be seen as extra value to some but others, like me, have no need or want for it. So for us we see a extra hardware failpoint, the crappy front camera and slightly thicker device as turnoffs created by something that you are "paying extra for"
    That's like complaining they built a minivan, when you're shopping for a compact.
    12-14-15 11:56 AM
    So, if they include the keyboard in the value proposition then aren't you saying that only people who want a hardware keyboard should buy the Priv? Why would they recommend someone buy a smartphone that included an expensive feature that isn't used?

If you are buying the Priv for its privacy features like BlackBerry is positioning it then the keyboard is a wash - it's just as likely to be a minus as a plus because no one would recommend putting up with the creaking if they never use the keyboard.
    12-14-15 12:06 PM
    So, if they include the keyboard in the value proposition then aren't you saying that only people who want a hardware keyboard should buy the Priv? Why would they recommend someone buy a smartphone that included an expensive feature that isn't used?

If you are buying the Priv for its privacy features like BlackBerry is positioning it then the keyboard is a wash - it's just as likely to be a minus as a plus because no one would recommend putting up with the creaking if they never use the keyboard.
    You're argument makes no sense, that perspective is not practical, because all smartphone has hardware components that consumers don't utilize, for example, I have never used my front facing camera, but I'm sure it's included in the cost. So you're saying I should never buy a smartphone with a front facing camera??

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 12:41 PM
    For me, had the keyboard been usable (the size, sbape and feel of the 9810 or better yet the 9900) the keyboard would have been enough added value to justify the enormous cost. But since the physical keyboard is useless to me I have to compare to Androids with similar specs (some even better specs) without a keyboard.

At this point I'd consider a Priv at 499.00. But by the time it hits that price it will probably really be worth 249.00. So I doubt that it's value will ever catch up (for me).

Had they put in a kick *** 9900 keyboard there'd be no other phone to compare it to. Right now I find myself wishing for an updated Sidekick LX with a giant keyboard on it. At least it was typeable. Not as rugged as a classic BlackBerry but useable.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    12-14-15 01:19 PM
    You're argument makes no sense, that perspective is not practical, because all smartphone has hardware components that consumers don't utilize, for example, I have never used my front facing camera, but I'm sure it's included in the cost. So you're saying I should never buy a smartphone with a front facing camera??
    Smartphones aren't built around the front-facing camera but the Priv clearly was built around the hardware keyboard. There's no way I would recommend anyone buy a Priv if they won't be using the hardware keyboard on a regular basis.
    LazyEvul and kbz1960 like this.
    12-14-15 01:51 PM
    Like I said. If a person values it yes. If they don't it doesn't.
    12-14-15 02:36 PM
    Smartphones aren't built around the front-facing camera but the Priv clearly was built around the hardware keyboard. There's no way I would recommend anyone buy a Priv if they won't be using the hardware keyboard on a regular basis.
    That's a fair point, although my argument for the device is why is it considered overpriced when clearly, the additional cost is for the keyboard, I think it's safe to say that blackberry made trade-offs with others components of the device to facilitate the additional cost the keyboard would provide. Because if it had all the latest and greatest PLUS the keyboard the price would be too ridiculous

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 03:05 PM
    For me, had the keyboard been usable (the size, sbape and feel of the 9810 or better yet the 9900) the keyboard would have been enough added value to justify the enormous cost. But since the physical keyboard is useless to me I have to compare to Androids with similar specs (some even better specs) without a keyboard.

At this point I'd consider a Priv at 499.00. But by the time it hits that price it will probably really be worth 249.00. So I doubt that it's value will ever catch up (for me).

Had they put in a kick *** 9900 keyboard there'd be no other phone to compare it to. Right now I find myself wishing for an updated Sidekick LX with a giant keyboard on it. At least it was typeable. Not as rugged as a classic BlackBerry but useable.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    I think you're missing the point, there are plenty of "bad " products out there, but that doesn't mean they don't have value. So if it's you're opinion that the keyboard isn't as good as the 9900, that doesn't mean that the resources that were put into developing it is less. The fact is that it's a feature which has an additional cost. It's no different than, let's say, a surface pro tablet, for the tablet u pay $xxx but for the tablet +keyvoard you pay $yyy, regardless of how "good" u think the keyboard, it provides additional value

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 03:15 PM
    That's a fair point, although my argument for the device is why is it considered overpriced when clearly, the additional cost is for the keyboard, I think it's safe to say that blackberry made trade-offs with others components of the device to facilitate the additional cost the keyboard would provide. Because if it had all the latest and greatest PLUS the keyboard the price would be too ridiculous
    If you require a keyboard then the Priv is probably fairly priced because there certainly aren't a lot of Android keyboard phones with a full size screen. If you don't want a keyboard then it's overpriced because there are plenty of other VKB Androids with full size screens. I imagine that the reviewers are mostly speaking to the VKB people because the keyboard people don't have much of a choice.

Do you believe that hybrid cars are overpriced? No? Then why didn't you consider buying one? Because they are more expensive. Would you expect a reviewer to say it's a good buy?
    12-14-15 04:00 PM
    If you require a keyboard then the Priv is probably fairly priced because there certainly aren't a lot of Android keyboard phones with a full size screen. If you don't want a keyboard then it's overpriced because there are plenty of other VKB Androids with full size screens. I imagine that the reviewers are mostly speaking to the VKB people because the keyboard people don't have much of a choice.

Do you believe that hybrid cars are overpriced? No? Then why didn't you consider buying one? Because they are more expensive. Would you expect a reviewer to say it's a good buy?
    Not sure I understand the point you're trying to make, because there is a difference between not buying something because it's too expensive for you compared to being overpriced. People buy/ don't buy things for lots of reasons, maybe I don't buy a hybrid car, because I don't want one, maybe I don't like the way they look etc.
    The reviewer should cover the pros and cons , and if the recommend the accordingly. But just because it's more expensive, doesn't necessarily mean it's overpriced.
    So you're saying what? You wouldn't recommend a car with leather seats over vinyl because of the cost difference??

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 05:21 PM
    So you're saying what? You wouldn't recommend a car with leather seats over vinyl because of the cost difference??
    I bought my first car with leather seats only recently because I've always felt that they were overpriced for what you get.
    12-14-15 06:47 PM
    I was personally wondering this same thing the other day. One thing I also want to know is if blackberrys cash flow is in Canadian or American dollars. If it's in Canadian then it cost them a lot more to purchase and manufacture there phones then a lot of companies.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    12-14-15 07:51 PM
    After reading several articles and reviews on the blackberry priv, I've noticed one common assesment, which is that the phone overpriced.
    I see things like, " you can get another android device with better hardware etc. For less", so my question is, does the keyboard not have any value at all? The engineering to make it , implement it and things of that nature. I would like to think that there is an additional cost to manufacture it, so I guess another question is, do you think the hardware keyboard is overpriced? Wasn't typo selling keyboards for $99 or something like that

Posted via CB10
    Its over priced and paid for it knowing this the PKB is great if you ask me however it is not worth the price or at least until the phone is on marshmallow
    12-14-15 08:05 PM