The keyboard on my PRIV suddenly stopped working. It happened last night but was ok after a reboot. This time, a reboot didn't help. But gestures on the keyboard still work. Is it a hardware issue or software related?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-06-16 08:39 PM
    You mean physical and not virtual? Because if it is virtual, do a downgrade via the Playstore and a reinstall. Fixed my issue a while back. Otherwise, I can't help you and for that, I am sorry.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-16 11:12 PM
    Well, try one of the various reloads or safe mode

From BB blog: How to reset PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
    Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won’t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

And just for an extra measure, if needed:

Safe Mode:

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it’s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off when it appears (meaning press/hold the Power Off prompt box)
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    09-06-16 11:42 PM
    Well, try one of the various reloads or safe mode

From BB blog: How to reset PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
    Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won�t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

And just for an extra measure, if needed:

Safe Mode:

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it�s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off when it appears (meaning press/hold the Power Off prompt box)
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.
    I've tried a number of the methods and the problem intermittently occurs. So I got frustrated and did a factory reset. No help, still get the same issue intermittently. You know what's the worst part? I brought it to the store and it worked fine. I had to leave because it refused to stop working anymore. I know im going to pull my hair out when it stops working again.
    09-07-16 03:04 AM
    You still didn't answers NighFire's question.
    What is busted: VKB (Virtual Keyboard) or PKB (Physical Keyboard)?
    Depending on the answer, people here could perhaps give you more useful advise.
    09-07-16 03:21 AM
    You still didn't answers NighFire's question.
    What is busted: VKB (Virtual Keyboard) or PKB (Physical Keyboard)?
    Depending on the answer, people here could perhaps give you more useful advise.
    Sorry, it was the PKB that stopped working.
    09-07-16 04:08 AM
    If don't already have it, download the BlackBerry Virtual Expert and run the tests.
    09-07-16 08:46 AM
    If don't already have it, download the BlackBerry Virtual Expert and run the tests.
    It's no use as the tests work fine when the keyboard is working. The problem is that the keyboard sometimes work and sometimes doesn't. And it chooses to work when I'm at the shop so I don't know what I can do to prove that they need to take it back

09-07-16 09:05 PM
    When it starts failing see if you can grab a video camera (digital cameras have video mode) or even another cellphone and video it malfunctioning.
    09-07-16 09:42 PM
    When it starts failing see if you can grab a video camera (digital cameras have video mode) or even another cellphone and video it malfunctioning.
    Thank you. I did just that so I'm going to bring it back to the shop shortly. I just hope they will give me a replacement. I worry that the keyboard will be fine when it's with them and it gets returned to me as is.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-07-16 09:47 PM
    Gosh I'm at the shop now and the keyboard is fine and dandy again. This is frustrating. Waiting to show the guy the video...

09-07-16 10:55 PM
    Gosh I'm at the shop now and the keyboard is fine and dandy again. This is frustrating. Waiting to show the guy the video...

Good luck. I guess I will ask - does the keyboard fail in different locations or only at your home or office?

My Priv has a keyboard problem, too. I'm trying to decide what to do. I had a professionally applied Ghost Armor screen protector. I guess if the device needs replacing Ghost Armor would charge for another application. As well as the thought of getting a clickly one or a refurb that is not as perfect as mine looks. The problem is that the Priv does not detect when the keyboard is extended or retracted - it fails the test in BB Virtual Expert.
    09-07-16 11:26 PM
    Good luck. I guess I will ask - does the keyboard fail in different locations or only at your home or office?
    It has failed at different locations for 3 days in a row. I have again failed to show the issue at the shop but they have taken it in for testing. As the problem is intermittent and probably will not show with little use, I think they will simply return the phone to me after the tests and say that everything is fine.

I just hope they will be nice and replace it...
    FF22 likes this.
    09-07-16 11:31 PM
    That's so frustrating. I hope they resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    09-08-16 05:40 AM
    My first Priv had an issue with the PKB and I had to swap it out. You could scroll with it, but the rest of the keyboard was dead.

09-09-16 04:28 AM
    The keyboard on my PRIV suddenly stopped working. It happened last night but was ok after a reboot. This time, a reboot didn't help. But gestures on the keyboard still work. Is it a hardware issue or software related?

You get 1 year free phone support from BlackBerry. Call them.
    09-09-16 06:49 AM
    You get 1 year free phone support from BlackBerry. Call them.
    I've got to do that, too. But I fear they will want to put me through the WIPE/restore paces when I'm fairly certain it is a hardware problem. My Priv does not detect when I extend it or retract it. BUT I just changed the "Answer phone when keyboard opened" and it worked for that. But fails the extend/retract in BB Virtual Expert. Hmmm, maybe there is something interfering with the test!!! Then mine is still physically flawless in appearance and I'd lose my Ghost Armor screen protector.
    09-09-16 09:06 AM
    What you fear and what is reality may be two different things. They may have you tweak something that fixes it. Might as well give them a try.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-09-16 09:10 AM