Hello all,

Since buying the PRIV a week ago, I just can't get used to the keyboard. I'm at peace with the size of it, coming from a passport, but the build quality of the keyboard seems off for some reason. The left and right side of the keyboard feels 'clicky', but the more you type in the middle ( especially the spacebar ), the more it seems to feel unresponsive ( though it does work, I just don't feel it). Is this normal with the PRIV? I searched for it, couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
    ahmedhanif911 likes this.
    12-31-15 11:30 PM
    Hello all,

Since buying the PRIV a week ago, I just can't get used to the keyboard. I'm at peace with the size of it, coming from a passport, but the build quality of the keyboard seems off for some reason. The left and right side of the keyboard feels 'clicky', but the more you type in the middle ( especially the spacebar ), the more it seems to feel unresponsive ( though it does work, I just don't feel it). Is this normal with the PRIV? I searched for it, couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
    I'm the wrong person to ask probably, since I haven't used a blackberry keyboard since my trusty Bold 9000. However, I have read from several users here that the Priv keyboard is far less responsive and clicky. It works, but the clicks/resistance isn't there. It's been described as a bit mushy, I believe.

I do have fond memories of my Bold 9000's keyboard being clicky and solid, and I do see how this one on the Priv is smaller and mushier. But it works fine for me so far. I just think the 9000's keyboard was slightly better.
    01-01-16 01:19 AM
    yeah, the priv feels like one of those membrane keyboards that don't have individual keys, just a plastic covering. it's mushy, non-tactile, unsettling.

Posted via CB10
    kertong, ahmedhanif911 and Jonneh like this.
    01-01-16 01:21 AM
    I like it. Feels fine.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-01-16 02:09 AM
    I like it. Feels fine.

I agree. Coming from a Passport since launch, it was a transition to the smaller keyboard but, the keyboard click/response is very positive on each key yet needs less pressure to activate. This makes it much quicker, for me at least, to get the job done. I'm very happy with the keyboard. Feels like my 9900 but faster.

01-01-16 03:52 AM
    My keyboard is all clicky. U just have to use it a while and it will wear down a bit and it gets clicky. Im on Canadian version though. STV-003

01-01-16 05:24 AM
    Hmmmm, I have fond memories of the time when RIM (BlackBerry) ruled the world and one could hear the clicks in the tram/metro all over the place......not any longer. Privs keyboard does not jog the memory either unfortunately.
    01-01-16 05:43 AM
    yeah, the priv feels like one of those membrane keyboards that don't have individual keys, just a plastic covering. it's mushy, non-tactile, unsettling.

Posted via CB10
    I had the same experience with my previous priv. The keyboard overall felt hard to press and often times I would miss a character or two. The keyboard felt much like an old Motorola Droid keyboards where you have to really press down on individual keys with force to type. Spacebar and 0 button was the most difficult buttons to press.
    Often times 0 button did not click unless I pressed at a sharp angle from the left.

So I decided to exchange my device and the new device's keyboard was orders of magnitude more responsive and overall much easier to type. It no longer required much effort to press individual keys - it felt much closer to Q10 than a Motorola Droid.

Hope this helps.

01-01-16 08:31 AM
    Takes a while man. I had a passport 2 give it a month. Cuz I went from hate to love with this keyboard!

Posted via the Innovative Blackberry PRIV - Powered by Android
    01-01-16 11:03 AM
    For me, it's more the keyboard layout - the 9000 and 9900s had that gentle curve and felt more ergonomically correct compared to now. After having a Z10 for such a long time and going back to a keyboard, part of it might also be trying to get used to the sensation between a flat screen versus an individual key. I'm trying to split my time between the on-screen keyboard and physical keyboard. Mine's just only two weeks old in my hands, so I know I have much longer to adapt.
    01-01-16 11:12 AM
    As a former owner of a passport I had no problem to adapt with the keyboard of the Priv !
    01-01-16 11:29 AM
    I only have issues with the spacebar. it's noticeably more quiet than other keys and I often hit 3-4 times bc I think that I haven't hit it yet... then I have to backspace thru the excess spaces to get the formatting correct. but I've gotten more used to the silent spacebar and now I don't have the problem.
    01-01-16 02:06 PM
    Thanks for the replies, thought i was going crazy here. I think that the keyboard of the Vienna will be a lot more 'clicky' though, since they crammed the keyboard under the PRIV and the Vienna 'should' be out in the open, like the Passport. Oh well, let's send it back and try again then.
    01-01-16 03:43 PM
    The physic" keyboard of the BlackBerry Priv feels no different than my BlackBerry Q5. the individual keys click as your would expect on the standard computer keyboard but obviously much quieter. the physical keyboard is great and supports pop-up word suggestions and acts as a trackpad in some respects.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    01-02-16 08:13 AM
    The physic" keyboard of the BlackBerry Priv feels no different than my BlackBerry Q5. the individual keys click as your would expect on the standard computer keyboard but obviously much quieter. the physical keyboard is great and supports pop-up word suggestions and acts as a trackpad in some respects.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    how? the Q5 has the clickiest, most solid and loud keys of any BB10 phone. the Priv has mushy, quiet, shallow keys.

the Q5 and Priv are at polar opposites of the keyboard spectrum.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-16 11:32 AM