So I just received the March update this morning through T-Mobile, including a Kernel update. I have been irate as to the slow and lagging performance of my PRIV for months now, including heated and poor battery life. Granted, I have 160 apps installed, but pay lots of Attention to optimization for my phone. Well, not sure if this is temporary or not yet, as these updates also force a complete app optimization at the core level; but so far it's been 6 hours of regular business Monday use and operation and my phone's fly'n! (well, at least in comparison to my horrid normal performance levels I am used to dealing with). Still get the heat ups, and battery is about the same, but everything is just moving faster, including the opening of the HUB, which is usually just a tad faster than it takes me to drink an entire cup of the coffee! On all my last updates, my phone is quicker for the first hour or two, but this time it seems to be lasting. Could this really be happening!? I'll report back in another 24 hours and see if this Gift of God continues.....
    FF22 likes this.
    03-20-17 04:16 PM
    03-20-17 04:55 PM
    AAJ919, right?
    Yep... thats It.
    03-20-17 05:18 PM
    OK... so this is my 48+ Hour report....

So far the faster performance has definitely persisted! For a moment there, I even had thoughts of keeping my PRIV over obtaining a new KeyOne (OK... maybe that's going a bit too far....). Since the March update on T-Mobile, which I installed Tuesday, I'd say performance is about 25-30% faster, and definitely smoother. Even the HUB, that used to eat up all my resources when open and took forever to come up, is now working smoother. Sharing from any app is still a process I have to pray about before executing, but it also is working a bit smoother and faster. Heat-ups have also been reduced, although not sure about battery life yet. However, it's important to note that as much as I try to keep my device optimized, it still has 160+ apps installed, most of which I use on a daily and weekly basis.

In conclusion, the March update from Blackberry for the PRIV on the T-Mobile network has most definitely improved performance and operation on my device.... and quite noticeably. I can't say my PRIV is "fast", but it's now at a tolerable and even a competitive performance level. I've ordered a top rated MicroSD card to see about further performance enhancement (Samsung Evo Plus 128g). With this new revelation of sensationalism, I can now be more patient in waiting for the release of the KeyOne.

Any one else notice any improvements??
    Last edited by willyq711; 05-03-17 at 01:55 PM.
    03-22-17 08:14 PM
    Here's my current version after the update....
    Attached Thumbnails Just received the March PRIV update on T-Mobile and WOW!-screenshot_20170320-171741.jpg  
    03-22-17 08:18 PM
    I wonder if the increase in functional speed we see after the updates has to do with the fact that we are re-optimizing our apps, each time we load an upgrade. I don't believe that a 150 mb or so update can make that much difference, but I have read that hard reboots do help performance... Just wondering out loud.
    03-22-17 09:13 PM
    I wonder if the increase in functional speed we see after the updates has to do with the fact that we are re-optimizing our apps, each time we load an upgrade. I don't believe that a 150 mb or so update can make that much difference, but I have read that hard reboots do help performance... Just wondering out loud.
    As I said in my first post, this has always been the norm, whereby due to the core app optimization after such updates or upgrades, there is anywhere from a few hours to a day of better performance. Hence why I waited 48+ hours before reporting again. Well, this time around, the faster performance and smoother operation seems to be permanent, as I'm going on close to 72 hours by tomorrow morning. None of my last speed-ups after an update ever lasted beyond a few hours, at best.... And I'm a hardcore power user whereby I'm typing, talking and multi-tasking numerous apps simultaneously. Furthermore, just the overall functionality of the OS is improved, from the speed and smoothness to shares and app activities (most apps are definitely faster, including what was the worst, the BlackBerry HUB). Still get warm-ups, but the frequency has lessened. I'm not too sure about battery life, but I'll know more in the next day or two. As of right now, I'd say battery depletion has slowed down by about 1% to 2% per hour.
    03-22-17 10:36 PM
    That is very impressive. I'm not sure if my update is as great, but then I'm not nearly the power user you are! Congratulations!
    03-22-17 10:39 PM
    i just had the battery pressure test yesterday on my PRIV. not bad, with this March update, my phone could stretch up to almost 5 hrs of SoT, all i can say is.. WOW!

hopefully when Nougat arrives then it will make everything more power efficient (even though i know, PRIV's 808 SoC is somewhat power hungry..)
    03-23-17 12:50 AM
    Unfortunately my shop BlackBerry PRIV is like this every month. Great for up to 20 days at most then the slowdowns and hearing begins.
    03-23-17 02:37 AM
    Unfortunately my shop BlackBerry PRIV is like this every month. Great for up to 20 days at most then the slowdowns and hearing begins.
    Thanks for the info Rocker. Let's see where my performance and battery is in another 2 weeks then. For me it's only lasted a few hours in the past, and I always gathered it was simply due to the core app optimizations.

As for the 808 SoC, yes, definitely Powe Hungary, and I understand the 816 was even worse till the 821 came along.
    03-23-17 08:09 AM
    Rocker, if you haven't clears your cache, that can really affect your performance.
    03-23-17 03:32 PM
    I started with AAJ919 and it's been fine. I actually like this phone. I think it's a good first Android experience. I still miss certain things about my Passport, but overall, the Priv has been solid.
    03-23-17 04:11 PM
    DAY 4 since the March update to my T-Mo PRIV, and the performance, heat-ups and even battery life (the last is a trivial difference) increase has persisted. I can tell you without a doubt that this time around, the performance increase is different than the short few hours I experienced after previous updates, primarily credited to the core app optimization that occurs immediately thereafter. Crashes have lessened (my Launcher would crash frequently along with other apps when doing hardcore multi-tasking), and app function, along with sharing from one app to another, have bettered and been consistent.

I know I may be making a bigger deal of this than I should, but the performance and function are better enough to equate me feeling as if I just received a new phone. I'm wondering if Android Nougat will improve performance even more, or if this gift will be short lived and once Droid-N comes around, the same thing happens again as did with the Marshmallow update.
    newcollector likes this.
    03-24-17 12:12 PM
    Have you tried formatting your phone?

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    03-24-17 12:31 PM
    Why would I format my phone if everything about my post is positive after the update?

I also have a 128 gig card arriving next week that I will be setting up as a unified drive with my internal storage. Not sure if that if that is what you ate referring to, but at current I do not have an SD card installed.
    03-24-17 08:24 PM
    Why would I format my phone if everything about my post is positive after the update?

I also have a 128 gig card arriving next week that I will be setting up as a unified drive with my internal storage. Not sure if that if that is what you ate referring to, but at current I do not have an SD card installed.
    Now that could slow down the phone. Do you really need more room on an sd card to store apps or do you just want it encrypted?
    03-24-17 09:38 PM
    I be noticed the same as far as better performance from my priv and can now also be a little more patient in waiting to get me a KEYone
    03-25-17 10:49 PM
    OK, so I'm back for a brief report....

It's now been almost 2 months that I've received this special PRIV update (March 5th on T-Mobile). Since then, my better performance has persisted, however I have notice just a tad of a slowdown since the first 2-3 weeks. I would say by my calculations and that of some apps, I would give it a 20% better performance rating than before the update. The Heat-ups continue, but I've noticed that on most part they are limited to heavy use or background operation of the following apps:

- BlackBerry HUB
    - Google Chrome Browser (this lag gets really bad)
    - When sharing items from app to app (more frequent than not and almost unbearable!).

These are not the only apps, but those that I've noticed most frequently over heat up my phone and create lag (at times "extreme" lag!).

Therefore, at this time, that update most definitely provoked something as to performance improvement and big fixes. From what I've read, the KeyOne is quicker than the PRIV and has eliminated the heat-ups, but not entirely (some have reported warming but that may be just during break-in phase). I actually love my PRIV, but could really use the better performance, functioning apps, longer battery life and the KB for the KeyOne was MUCH better IMO than that of the hard-clicking (and tight) of the PRIV. I've learned that I really don't need the 16:9 aspect ratio screen and look forward to the 3:2. I wonder if the Priv's will be receiving Android 7 Nougat??
    Last edited by willyq711; 05-04-17 at 05:57 AM.
    vptsff likes this.
    05-03-17 01:49 PM
    So I updated my T-Mobile PRIV around 3 days ago, and I must say that with every update since March's update (along with various tweaks of my own), my PRIV is functioning at levels I haven't seen since my first 3 months of use some 2 years ago. this last update allowed me to reinstall the HUB, and at least make it usable now. it still lags when composing email (typing lag - sometimes pretty bad), overall OS performance is more stable and faster. What I've had issues with over the past few months is my BlackBerry Launcher constantly crashing. I'd say to the tune of once or twice a day. Let's see if it gets better after this update.

I moved most of my less used apps to my 128G High-Speed SD card, as well as turning off some permissions for background use of GPS (and other items) for apps such as Facebook (checks your location thousands of times a day as per DTek) and some other social media and general apps. Even though I have Chrome installed, I. now use the ridiculously fast Puffin Browser, but keep Chrome around incase any sites have issues but so far none have. I noted that the use of HUB (in past) and Chrome were slowing down my phone immensely, but there were other apps responsible as well, these were just the biggest culprits. Sharing still lags, but it varies according to how many apps I have open and from app to app. Keep in mind that I'm a fast paced daily power-user and have 160+ apps installed. I constantly close apps and monitor my phone throughout the day to keep battery usage down and performance up. I will say that compared to the newer phones, mine if most definitely slower all around, but not sure how much faster they'd be if it were "me" using the phone will all of my apps installed (haven't met anyone as of yet...).

With these new levels of performance, I now have the ability to wait a bit longer to upgrade to the KeyOne, hoping it arrives at T-Mobile. I will say that I'm going to miss the full screen, but having the PKB ready may be a good trade-off.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-15-17 09:45 AM