It only has to outperform BB10 sales to make it 'the right move'. That's a pretty low bar.

If anything your data shows that Android buyers are much more likely to explore and try different devices with different form factors,.. so if a fraction decide to try the slider (because,-'why not?'), then that might be enough.

Posted via CB10
    Not necessarily. Short term gain could be offset by disgruntled former BB10 users added to the pool of BlackBerry bathers out there. Android is a cut throat market, and it's users fickle. It will take just one of BlackBerry's Classic screw ups to cause mass defections to another Android OEM. And seriously it is BlackBerry we are talking about so a major screw up is inevitable. Imagine a larger pool of PKB users who can start complaint about stuttering keys, loose rattling volume rockers, etc. Android users aren't going to be loyal to BlackBerry at all.

Posted via Z30
    08-10-15 12:42 PM
    Not a fan of the curved screen at all. And absolutely not a fan if it is going to be running android.
    08-10-15 01:07 PM
    Junk. Utter waste of development effort and money.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-10-15 01:46 PM
    It only has to outperform BB10 sales to make it 'the right move'. That's a pretty low bar.

If anything your data shows that Android buyers are much more likely to explore and try different devices with different form factors,.. so if a fraction decide to try the slider (because,-'why not?'), then that might be enough.

Posted via CB10
    Just when you say "it can't get no worse" is when it gets worse.

Verizon is about to do away with 2-Year Contracts and subsidies on phones... I expect that AT&T will be close behind. These OEM that can offer a flagship experience at a lower cost to users... might find more consumers willing to try that.

Not sure there is going to be a lot of room in the highend market for anyone but Samsung and Apple.
    lift likes this.
    08-10-15 02:20 PM
    Just when you say "it can't get no worse" is when it gets worse.

Verizon is about to do away with 2-Year Contracts and subsidies on phones... I expect that AT&T will be close behind. These OEM that can offer a flagship experience at a lower cost to users... might find more consumers willing to try that.

Not sure there is going to be a lot of room in the highend market for anyone but Samsung and Apple.
    Right now, we don't even know if Verizon will carry anything that's new from BlackBerry. An article today discussed TMO carrying it, along with ATT, but nothing about big red.
    08-10-15 03:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    The real winner of BlackBerry's abandonment of BB10 for Android will be Apple, not Android. IMHO and given what I see on Crackberry, with BB10 off the table (if this is what happens), I bet most current BB10 people head to Apple because the slider will be about as pricey as a new iPhone, the iPhone will beat the Slider to market, and why go with some also-ran Android beta Slider that BlackBerry neither designed nor manufactured when you could have the new iPhone 6S or 6S+ for about the same money?

Will the Slider pull in some existing Android people? I'd like to think that BlackBerry could sell some of them, and I definitely think it'll do better than the Passport, but I don�t think that this device leaves BlackBerry with a sustainable hardware approach.
    lift and lnichols like this.
    08-10-15 04:00 PM
    I am interested with the slider. How come that it is BB but is running Android? Well, the world is changing and so does our technologies. I don't care what OS it is running as long as I can use it with my daily activities and connect it to a vpn then I'm all good with it.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-10-15 08:13 PM
    Interesting Samsung commercial I saw today that started out by showing different individual phone brands including the Passport demonstrating the different ringing/vibrating modes. Then they show the new side or edge screen visual ringing on the S6 I recall
    It had a screen with curved edge on all sides where the entire side/perimeter that lights up when incoming call. I wonder if the slider will do the same since the edges appear to be part of the screen as well?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by VictorRight; 08-10-15 at 10:59 PM.
    08-10-15 10:45 PM
    Interesting Samsung commercial I saw today that started out by showing different individual phone brands including the Passport demonstrating the different ringing/vibrating modes. Then they show the new side or edge screen visual ringing on the S6 I recall. It had a screen with continuous curved edge on all sides where the entire side/perimeter that light up when incoming call. I'm sure it will have cool patterns. I wonder if the slider will do the same since the edges appear to be part of the screen as well?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 11:02 PM
    Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 11:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly this. The shareholders of course would love BlackBerry to be competitive in the Android space, but the hard reality is, they'd just be happy if an Android BlackBerry can simply move more units and generate more revenue than BB10... A low bar indeed.
    08-11-15 12:35 AM
    Interesting Samsung commercial I saw today that started out by showing different individual phone brands including the Passport demonstrating the different ringing/vibrating modes. Then they show the new side or edge screen visual ringing on the S6 I recall
    It had a screen with curved edge on all sides where the entire side/perimeter that lights up when incoming call. I wonder if the slider will do the same since the edges appear to be part of the screen as well?

Posted via CB10
    Lol, that is such a lame feature.

You can only have 8 contacts (or even less) with the side screen notification thing, when BlackBerry can have literally countless color combinations with the notification light paired with a 3rd party app such as Hub++.

I should also mention that the BlackBerry notification light uses far less energy than Samsung's edge screen.

And the Samsung's edge notification is supposed to be a star feature of the edge phone. Hahahaha

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-11-15 01:10 AM

You can only have 8 contacts (or even less) with the side screen notification thing, when BlackBerry can have literally countless color combinations with the notification light paired with a 3rd party app such as Hub++.

I should also mention that the BlackBerry notification light uses far less energy than Samsung's edge screen.

And the Samsung's edge notification is supposed to be a star feature of the edge phone. Hahahaha

Posted via CB10
    I don't mind having other features that others might like, but personally I don't want to announce to the world when a notification comes in. The little LED is perfect because it does the job of notifying me without calling everyone's attention around me...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-11-15 01:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    You do know Samsung phones also have a notification light as well right? Which you can also customize to whichever colors you want when you get a call, email, text, etc.

If the blackberry slider has similar edge notifications like the s6 then great, not gonna knock a feature from a competitor because blackberry doesn't have it..
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    08-11-15 01:59 AM
    You do know Samsung phones also have a notification light as well right? Which you can also customize to whichever colors you want when you get a call, email, text, etc.

If the blackberry slider has similar edge notifications like the s6 then great, not gonna knock a feature from a competitor because blackberry doesn't have it..
    Yah, I've seen them. Wonder where they got that idea from...
    lift likes this.
    08-11-15 02:09 AM
    Yah, I've seen them. Wonder where they got that idea from...
    Hey, Im not saying Samsung invented the notification light but for someone to bash those edge screen notifications then brag about the notification light on a blackberry just seems childish. People need to grow up.

Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-11-15 02:13 AM
    Hey, Im not saying Samsung invented the notification light but for someone to bash those edge screen notifications then brag about the notification light on a blackberry just seems childish. People need to grow up.

Yah, sorry, not directly related to the conversation you were having with the person you were replying to. Just spewed the first thought that popped into my head.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-11-15 05:06 AM
    The real winner of BlackBerry's abandonment of BB10 for Android will be Apple, not Android. IMHO and given what I see on Crackberry, with BB10 off the table (if this is what happens), I bet most current BB10 people head to Apple because the slider will be about as pricey as a new iPhone, the iPhone will beat the Slider to market, and why go with some also-ran Android beta Slider that BlackBerry neither designed nor manufactured when you could have the new iPhone 6S or 6S+ for about the same money?

Will the Slider pull in some existing Android people? I'd like to think that BlackBerry could sell some of them, and I definitely think it'll do better than the Passport, but I don’t think that this device leaves BlackBerry with a sustainable hardware approach.
    I don't know... I think if Microsoft puts out a real flagship device.... some may head there. Windows has SD Card, it has file manager, and it has poor apps support. Things that BlackBerry users have grown accustom too.

But joking aside, I have really liked the cheap Windows tablet I bought last year.

But then most of my Family all have Apple devices now, and Face time has become a big thing with the grandkids on my wife's phone or tablet.

So for me it's still all up in the air as to what I'll upgrade to...
    08-11-15 07:50 AM
    Every BB10 devices gets a ''no ,''looks crap''.When final release comes out and people see the device upfront and personally it all changes.

The only thing i care about is price and this android crap I dont want running on my phone. BB10 plus runtime & G-services is fine.I dont even use commercial apps.Give me my option to remove crap I dont need.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 08-11-15 at 09:14 AM.
    08-11-15 08:52 AM

I was specifically talking about the Edge screen. And how Samsung advertises it.

My point is that you do not need an edge screen to have the visible notification.

Besides, I have an S3 as well with the notification light. And there is no way that it can match the customizability of BlackBerry notification light.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 09:12 AM

Samsung's notification light out of the box has fixed colors depending on what it's notifying you about. Blue is for all message notifications regardless of account. Green for fully charged while plugged in. Flashing red for charging.

I assume they choose blue for messages to not be confused with BlackBerry using red as the default color for all messages.

You need an app to change the Samsung notification LED colors.

Much like you needed one for BlackBerry for years until BBOS 7.1 build 600+ came along. And then again for BB10 until 10.3.1 finally re-indroduced the LED color customization.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 10:19 AM
    I don't know... I think if Microsoft puts out a real flagship device.... some may head there. Windows has SD Card, it has file manager, and it has poor apps support. Things that BlackBerry users have grown accustom too.

But joking aside, I have really liked the cheap Windows tablet I bought last year.

But then most of my Family all have Apple devices now, and Face time has become a big thing with the grandkids on my wife's phone or tablet.

So for me it's still all up in the air as to what I'll upgrade to...
    Lol! I love that �poor app support� is a feature, not a bug! But yeah, I'd have to agree with you that there are more Windows Phone fans here on Crackberry than in the public at large, but not many more. That said, a WP flagship might grab an odd BB10 user or two, but with Apple rumored to be stepping up its camera game with the new iPhone, it�s one less differentiator WP has to offer, so it�s hard to imagine WP producing an iPhone killer before the iPhone 6S and 6S+ are announced in the next month or so.

At the end of the day, I think Windows Phone is going to follow BlackBerry smartphones to the grave in a few years time. The minor players in the smartphone game are all failing, and for good reason.
    08-11-15 11:01 AM
    I wonder how it will balance with that large a screen above the keyboard... what kind'a monster chin will it take to hold that puppy upright... do we get thumb exercise videos free with it? Does the stiff finger syndrome qualify as an occupational disability?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 11:08 AM
    I wonder how it will balance with that large a screen above the keyboard... what kind'a monster chin will it take to hold that puppy upright... do we get thumb exercise videos free with it? Does the stiff finger syndrome qualify as an occupational disability?

Posted via CB10
    The screen could be pretty light these days....

And I imagine that much of the bottom is the battery where a lot of the weight would be....

And let's face it if people can use the Passport... this will be a breeze.
    08-11-15 11:58 AM
    Lol! I love that �poor app support� is a feature, not a bug! But yeah, I'd have to agree with you that there are more Windows Phone fans here on Crackberry than in the public at large, but not many more. That said, a WP flagship might grab an odd BB10 user or two, but with Apple rumored to be stepping up its camera game with the new iPhone, it�s one less differentiator WP has to offer, so it�s hard to imagine WP producing an iPhone killer before the iPhone 6S and 6S+ are announced in the next month or so.

At the end of the day, I think Windows Phone is going to follow BlackBerry smartphones to the grave in a few years time. The minor players in the smartphone game are all failing, and for good reason.
    I'm thinking the seamless cross platform support of Windows 10 on PCs, tablets and phones might be a game changer for Microsoft. Apps may follow and they might truly become a stronger competitor OS wise. Time will tell.
    08-11-15 12:34 PM
115 ... 2345