The slider along with the Samsung s6 edge look like **** to me. Would not pay money for this device.

Will wait for a proper display BlackBerry Device.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 06:43 PM
    That BlackBerry phone would be so sexy if it had BB10. But it looks like a $5 hooker with that android all over it.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    08-09-15 07:25 PM
    If it's running BB10, sure it will sell... to the same super small sliver of market share that already has BB10.

If it runs Android, it could sell a lot more. Some BBOS folks might buy it. Some BB10 folks might buy it. And most importantly, some Android folks might buy it.

Just the rumor of an Android BlackBerry has plenty of people excited about possibly owning a BlackBerry again. Plenty of former BBOS/current iOS or Android owners that I know personally have expressed their intentions of buying a BlackBerry again if it is running Android. Like the vast majority of the smartphone buying public, none of them have any interest in or want BB10. If the Slider is running BB10, I know I'd be less interested in it.
    It could sell a lot more. But could it also backfire and lose current BlackBerry users. If it runs BlackBerry 10 you can bet it they'll have upgraded the Android runtime even further.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    FF22 likes this.
    08-09-15 07:43 PM
    What kind of case, FLIP preferred, protects a phone with a curved screen? I hike and bike and cross-country ski and prefer to protect my phones from errant bumps and drops and rubbing/scratching against other items?

Well, since Verizon will probably not offer it, it is probably a moot point.
    08-09-15 08:21 PM
    I never like slider phones. I used 9800 for 2 yrs and never used physical Keypad. To me, all touch and lighter phone is much better.

Z30 10.3.2.2339 thru CB10
    08-09-15 08:39 PM
    I don't need android OS as such on BlackBerry, rather BBOS with Google services will be right & winning combination at the moment. It's true, none of us wants to sacrifice emailing and Hub of BBOS.

Z30 10.3.2.2339 thru CB10
    08-09-15 08:42 PM
    I would love to hear from anyone whose not impressed with the rumored 18mp camera, curved display, and slide out rendering of the rumored BB Venice. I mean C'mon. This phone if rumors are true will absolutely sale.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    The other stuff sounds nice, but the curved display is pure gimmick. All it does it distort the top and bottom of movies when watching them on widescreen. Maybe you don't care, but I can't stand distortion. My friend has a Galaxy S6 Edge and the curve is completely useless and actually makes me not want to use it...
    08-10-15 02:44 AM
    The Venice does look awesome in its own way, although I would have to skip it. I had problems with sliders before. The flex cable ribbon which connects the screen part to the keyboard often breaks first and it's annoying. Having a phone with less mechanical parts is better, in my humble opinion.

Osores odierint! Cave, cave, moderator videt
    slagman5 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    08-10-15 03:43 AM
    The Venice does look awesome in its own way, although I would have to skip it. I had problems with sliders before. The flex cable ribbon which connects the screen part to the keyboard often breaks first and it's annoying. Having a phone with less mechanical parts is better, in my humble opinion.

I agree. I personally care about the advantaged of a keyboard over a larger screen, so I prefer a fixed physical keyboard device like the Classic. People would say a slider is the best of both worlds, and in a way it is, but because of the reason you stated, I wouldn't risk it.
    08-10-15 03:55 AM
    My 2 concerns

1. Durability - I hope that curved screen is very strong

2. Size - I love my Z30 but it's about as big as I need

We shall see...

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    08-10-15 07:39 AM

It looks interesting.... be beside a much thinner G6E, I'm not sure awesome will be the words most will use.

Durablity and battery life... two things that we will just have to wait and see what they come up with.
    08-10-15 08:12 AM
    My 2 concerns

1. Durability - I hope that curved screen is very strong

2. Size - I love my Z30 but it's about as big as I need

We shall see...

Yesterday i watched some droptests.
    That curved screen held up amazingly well compared to the iphone in that test.

So i would not worry about that

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 08:49 AM
    Yesterday i watched some droptests.
    That curved screen held up amazingly well compared to the iphone in that test.

So i would not worry about that

Posted via CB10
    Good to know. BlackBerry handsets have been durable so I'm hoping they didn't forget that. Even my Torch was surprisingly good.

08-10-15 08:58 AM
    I own a BlackBerry and and Android phone and actually went to the store to buy a Samsung S6 Edge and walked out with a Nexus 6. I didn't think the "edges" actually added anything other than just different design and was actually a minus when looking at videos and full screen apps.

To me, the fact that it might be the first BlackBerry Android phone is more interesting than the design and I know I am in the minority there.
    08-10-15 09:00 AM
    It could sell a lot more. But could it also backfire and lose current BlackBerry users.
    True. But realistically the value of us diehards as device customers on the consumer side is not much. At least those of us using BlackBerry 10. The traditional BBOS users are worth something though. But those folks are not using BlackBerry 10 anyway.

08-10-15 09:01 AM
    I think the slider looks great. I listen to a lot of tech podcasts and there appears to me some excitement around it as well with the assumption it'll run Android with Google play services.

MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-10-15 09:03 AM
    Look guys.. we tried to save BlackBerry.. by we I mean us CrackBerry Fans and a couple thousands more.. we are not enough. So clearly we arent the target market for this device. This is for the other millions that disregarded BlackBerry due to BB10 and clearly they are more than us. So the chances of this selling is higher because android fans are way way more than us bb10 fans.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 09:16 AM
    Look guys.. we tried to save BlackBerry.. by we I mean us CrackBerry Fans and a couple thousands more.. we are not enough. So clearly we arent the target market for this device. This is for the other millions that disregarded BlackBerry due to BB10 and clearly they are more than us. So the chances of this selling is higher because android fans are way way more than us bb10 fans.

Posted via CB10
    But how can they disregard BlackBerry due to BB10 when most people out there don't know that BB10 happened and still associate BlackBerry with BBOS? That is the issue I have. The problem with BlackBerry is the name BlackBerry. People think the company is dead, that the phones are laggy, have spinning clocks and require battery pulls. BB10 is less of an issue than this. If BlackBerry goes Android are they going to go on a Billion dollar advertising spree to let the market know that BlackBerry isn't BBOS, and they now have access to everything that Samsung does because they are Android? If not then how is changing to Android going to help BlackBerry sell phones?

Posted via Z30
    08-10-15 09:32 AM
    A slider phone is going to add weight, reduce battery size and be problematic with moving parts. More megapixels does no make for a better camera. Blackberry doesn't have the buying power to get the top tier products from vendors. Blackberry isn't designing and building these things, they bid for parts like everyone else. Apple and Android have the best cameras, they also purchase the most...

Lastly, will it sell? Is it running BB10, not a chance, just look at the sales of the passport, classic, etc. Not selling well (at all). Is it running Android? Maybe, but if you want an Android device, why buy from a company's first kick-at-the-can???
    08-10-15 09:53 AM
    This is the attitude that will kill BlackBerry.

Face it, BB10 has failed. I love the OS as much as you but it hasn't sold. If you want them to stay making hardware, then you need to accept this.

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't care less if Blackberry went under. It is not brand loyalty that has kept me buying Blackberry devices. It is the OS that I prefer. If they abandoned OS10 and went android I feel it will be their dying breath.
    08-10-15 10:07 AM
    But how can they disregard BlackBerry due to BB10 when most people out there don't know that BB10 happened and still associate BlackBerry with BBOS? That is the issue I have. The problem with BlackBerry is the name BlackBerry. People think the company is dead, that the phones are laggy, have spinning clocks and require battery pulls. BB10 is less of an issue than this. If BlackBerry goes Android are they going to go on a Billion dollar advertising spree to let the market know that BlackBerry isn't BBOS, and they now have access to everything that Samsung does because they are Android? If not then how is changing to Android going to help BlackBerry sell phones?

Posted via Z30
    I am pretty sure that when BlackBerry 10 came out in the carriers stores the sales reps were aware it was not the older BBOS. But they still steered folks away from BlackBerry 10 because they knew the apps were not there. And they didn't want returns to kill their commissions etc.

So if BlackBerry gets this phone into carrier stores and it has Google Play Services at least that criticism will be gone.

Fidel Mercado likes this.
    08-10-15 10:09 AM
    A slider phone is going to add weight, reduce battery size and be problematic with moving parts. More megapixels does no make for a better camera. Blackberry doesn't have the buying power to get the top tier products from vendors. Blackberry isn't designing and building these things, they bid for parts like everyone else. Apple and Android have the best cameras, they also purchase the most...

Lastly, will it sell? Is it running BB10, not a chance, just look at the sales of the passport, classic, etc. Not selling well (at all). Is it running Android? Maybe, but if you want an Android device, why buy from a company's first kick-at-the-can???
    Apple's one big PLUS... is they design everything. Processor, flux capacitor and camera.... they do the hardware and the software and they both work together to provide a very well performing device. Now some of the bigger Android OEM's do design some of their hardware components like the cameras, speakers or screen. But for the most part they pick off the shelf components and try to fit them into a body. And that is pretty much what these "builders" are going to do for BlackBerry.... with their fee added on. Now maybe their buying power can be used to save BlackBerry a little on some of the components.

But to be competitive, either BlackBerry cuts their margins... or customers will be asked to pay more.
    08-10-15 10:24 AM
    On https://www.android.com/intl/en_ca/phones/ there are 10 vendors listed as making Andorid mobile devices. However, OpenSignal reports there are 1,294 Android vendors. How can Blackberry compete as the 1,295th?

Just admit Venice looks awesome-screen-shot-2015-08-10-11.38.29-am.png

In their 2015 Android Fragmentation Report, OpenSingnal reports there are 24,093 distinct Android devices.

Android Fragmentation Report August 2015 - OpenSignal

Just admit Venice looks awesome-screen-shot-2015-08-10-11.45.37-am.png

Just admit Venice looks awesome-screen-shot-2015-08-10-11.49.17-am.png

I don't see how Blackberry can enter this market and be competitive...
    08-10-15 10:46 AM
    On https://www.android.com/intl/en_ca/phones/ there are 10 vendors listed as making Andorid mobile devices. However, OpenSignal reports there are 1,294 Android vendors. How can Blackberry compete as the 1,295th?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 11.38.29 AM.png 
Views:	773 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	366201

In their 2015 Android Fragmentation Report, OpenSingnal reports there are 24,093 distinct Android devices.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 11.45.37 AM.png 
Views:	774 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	366202

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 11.49.17 AM.png 
Views:	775 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	366203

Innovative and niche design on the high end. Volume no.

08-10-15 10:57 AM

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 11.38.29 AM.png 
Views:	773 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	366201

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 11.45.37 AM.png 
Views:	774 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	366202

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 11.49.17 AM.png 
Views:	775 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	366203

It only has to outperform BB10 sales to make it 'the right move'. That's a pretty low bar.

If anything your data shows that Android buyers are much more likely to explore and try different devices with different form factors,.. so if a fraction decide to try the slider (because,-'why not?'), then that might be enough.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    08-10-15 12:29 PM
115 12345