I wish he wouldn't refer to different regional versions of a device as a 'new device'. The Leap feels like a Z3 for North America, and what I think is called the Oslo is the China version of the Passport, I think... so I wouldn't count either of those devices (nor the Porsche derivatives) as "new"... but if Chen is, then I guess the Slider is the only "new device" coming out this year.

Nope, nor the release date, but it is this year as Chen said. Actually he did say it wasn't awkward to hold with the keyboard out, which would be one of my concerns.
    I don't suppose he said whether or not it has the toolbelt and / or a touch-sensitive keyboard like the Passport (but not 3 rows, the traditional BB Classic style, I assume).
    05-30-15 09:32 PM
    I'm not so sure we're going to see an update to the Q10 anymore, as I think he's going to stick to classic instead. I don't think he warrants selling a Q10 variant along with classic side by side going forward. Just my thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 06:43 AM
    Nope, nor the release date, but it is this year as Chen said. Actually he did say it wasn't awkward to hold with the keyboard out, which would be one of my concerns.
    Happy to knw that...that was one of my main concern. but lets c. I also find z30 awkward to use sometimes going from my Q10. So have to wait till the time says

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.3442
    05-31-15 06:48 AM
    Porsche design
    leap
    slider
    passport refresh
    If this is the emerging line up for the year, I'll definitely be disappointed! One of these phones should be an all-touch replacement for the Z line and I don't consider the slider a fill-in for the Z30.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    RyanGermann likes this.
    05-31-15 08:14 AM
    If this is the emerging line up for the year, I'll definitely be disappointed! One of these phones should be an all-touch replacement for the Z line and I don't consider the slider a fill-in for the Z30.
    What I have a problem with is not the device lineup in and of itself, but the buildup by talking about the devices going to be released this year with some kind of pride or with an intent to instill confidence in investors or consumers, only to disappoint with middling or otherwise uninteresting devices. Three out of four devices are derivative of existing devices. That's like the Joker saying "Wait 'til they get a load of ME!" and then knocking-off a convenience store.

I think a super powerful BB10 full touch device is overdue and would be "interesting" for the media and perhaps the media would be able to appreciate it in the proper context. The marketing and positioning of such a device would have to be carefully controlled and nuanced to stave off another round of "BlackBerry has released another "iPhone Killer" that doesn't have any decent apps". So long as this device is released alongside very clear and "told to anyone who will listen" statements like:

"This full slab powerful device was released in direct response to and to accommodate specific BB10 customers who want this specific form factor, not to try to outmaneuver Apple in the consumer space."

If they do that, then when tech reviewers review the device, they'll say "best full touch BB10 device ever, and Amazon app store has lots of good apps, that run really well on this device because even an Android VM runs really well on such a powerful device... we're impressed, but if you really want an Android device, buy the S6".

That kind of review I could live with.
    05-31-15 01:21 PM
    I personally don't see how everyone thinks there will be a Passport refresh
    BB's not going to release a revision in just a year. I think it's probably going to be the Z series refresh
    05-31-15 01:34 PM
    I personally don't see how everyone thinks there will be a Passport refresh
    BB's not going to release a revision in just a year. I think it's probably going to be the Z series refresh
    because chen said it was another keyboard device, so we know its not a all touch replacement. So why wouldnt a passport refresh make the most sense?
    05-31-15 02:00 PM
    because chen said it was another keyboard device, so we know its not a all touch replacement. So why wouldnt a passport refresh make the most sense?
    Because the passport is a new device. It'd make sense to update the q5 instead (like the z3 to the Leap) or even the Q10

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 02:10 PM
    Like Howarmat alluded to, at MWC John Chen said there were 4 devices:
    1. Leap
    2. Slider
    3. Keian, codename for P'9984 (assumed to be Porsche Design version of Passport)
    4. Another qwerty device

Doesn't matter if you're disappointed or not; this was what they announced.

FTR, I am disappointed too, and will be unless there's a full-touchscreen flagship. Which there won't be. So I'll just stay disappointed.
    howarmat and Blacklatino like this.
    05-31-15 02:11 PM
    Because the passport is a new device. It'd make sense to update the q5 instead (like the z3 to the Leap) or even the Q10

Posted via CB10
    because they have the classic which is a replacement for both those devices IMO, especially the q5. I am not saying they wont do a lower end keyboard device but I feel that the passport is a better device to update.
    05-31-15 02:30 PM
    Like Howarmat alluded to, at MWC John Chen said there were 4 devices:
    1. Leap
    2. Slider
    3. Keian, codename for P'9984 (assumed to be Porsche Design version of Passport)
    4. Another qwerty device

Doesn't matter if you're disappointed or not; this was what they announced.

FTR, I am disappointed too, and will be unless there's a full-touchscreen flagship. Which there won't be. So I'll just stay disappointed.
    Blackberry could easily release a all touch "Edge" alongside the Slider just like the Torch that had an all touch variant.
    Elite1 likes this.
    05-31-15 06:12 PM
    See, I don't think the new slider will be as bad as the Milan might have been, just because display tech has improved that much in the past couple of years. AND, from the looks of it, it doesn't look like the slider will be that thick/bulky/heavy compared to the Z30, either.

I get the complaints, and I get the desire for a straight high-end full-touch, but there's a chance this will work for a lot of those users. Obviously, any potential buyer is going to want to see the device in person and check out the mechanism to know for sure, so I hope this gets promoted reasonably well.
    05-31-15 06:39 PM
    because they have the classic which is a replacement for both those devices IMO, especially the q5. I am not saying they wont do a lower end keyboard device but I feel that the passport is a better device to update.
    At the risk of sounding dumb, the Passport is only 8 months old and still reasonably high on the spec curve. What "update" would we be looking at?
    05-31-15 06:40 PM
    i absolutely love this idea of a playbook 2 and a classic special edition, or classic 2
    05-31-15 06:41 PM
    I wish he wouldn't refer to different regional versions of a device as a 'new device'. The Leap feels like a Z3 for North America, and what I think is called the Oslo is the China version of the Passport, I think... so I wouldn't count either of those devices (nor the Porsche derivatives) as "new"... but if Chen is, then I guess the Slider is the only "new device" coming out this year.

I don't suppose he said whether or not it has the toolbelt and / or a touch-sensitive keyboard like the Passport (but not 3 rows, the traditional BB Classic style, I assume).
    We don't actually know that the Oslo is one of the new models Chen is referring to. I, too, am hoping it isn't, and I don't think it is. As for the Leap/Z3 thing, yes, the Leap has a significant technical difference over the Z3: LTE.
    Jasper-Ng likes this.
    05-31-15 06:43 PM
    At the risk of sounding dumb, the Passport is only 8 months old and still reasonably high on the spec curve. What "update" would we be looking at?
    if you refresh it later in the year around same time as the slider it would be a year old at that point. I wasnt suggesting update it now. I am not saying the refresh needs to be same as current passport. I think they can release a device somewhere in between the size of the q10 and passport to please everyone perhaps. I just dont see the need for a q10 or q5 refresh since you have the classic and the classic doesnt seem like a device that needs a yearly refresh really
    05-31-15 06:54 PM
    if you refresh it later in the year around same time as the slider it would be a year old at that point. I wasnt suggesting update it now. I am not saying the refresh needs to be same as current passport. I think they can release a device somewhere in between the size of the q10 and passport to please everyone perhaps. I just dont see the need for a q10 or q5 refresh since you have the classic and the classic doesnt seem like a device that needs a yearly refresh really
    Agreed. I'm looking for a 64 bit Passport in the fall running an 810 like the rumored Slider. I'm not sure I could fall back to a smaller screen, though. The current Passport is a little small for me. I have no idea why people complain about the size of it. Not a problem, at all. Significantly smaller than best-selling phones on other platforms, too.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 08:26 PM
    We don't actually know that the Oslo is one of the new models Chen is referring to. I, too, am hoping it isn't, and I don't think it is.
    I hope it isn't but I'm keeping my hopes down to avoid disappointment.

As for the Leap/Z3 thing, yes, the Leap has a significant technical difference over the Z3: LTE.
    Yes, but even though it is not my favoured device, I would have liked to see a full-touch device that had a little more oomph.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 08:05 AM
    I can't see them updating the Passport mere months in. Hopefully a high end touch to have updated devices on all fronts.

Posted via CB10
    He did say even before the passport got officially released that they were working on a passport 2 already....

Chen also hinted at future developments within the company. The CEO confirmed to The Globe & Mail that the company will be working on a second generation of the 3-row QWERTY device. There were no other details listed as to its features or release date.

Finally, another gem by Chen said that BlackBerry will unveil �a new BlackBerry device concept� at the upcoming Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Again, no details were given,
    06-01-15 08:27 AM
    Agreed. I'm looking for a 64 bit Passport in the fall running an 810 like the rumored Slider. I'm not sure I could fall back to a smaller screen, though. The current Passport is a little small for me. I have no idea why people complain about the size of it. Not a problem, at all. Significantly smaller than best-selling phones on other platforms, too.

Posted via CB10
    You do mean length wise right? Not many people like such a wide phone especially for media consumption and games (1:1 compared to 16:9)

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 10:37 AM
    ... Finally, another gem by Chen said that BlackBerry will unveil �a new BlackBerry device concept� at the upcoming Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Again, no details were given,
    MWC already happened. That concept was the slider.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-01-15 01:18 PM
    ... As for the Leap/Z3 thing, yes, the Leap has a significant technical difference over the Z3: LTE.
    Agreed! Leap is a definite step up over Z3.

Aside from LTE vs HSPA, you've got most notably screen res (720x1280 vs 540x960), CPU (1.5GHz vs 1.2), RAM (2GB vs 1.5), and device storage (16GB vs 8). There's also improvements in battery size (2,800 mAh vs 2,500 mAh), rear camera (8MP vs 5), and front camera (2MP vs 1.2).

For anyone who cares, see graphic below.
    Attachment 355492

... Yes, but even though it is not my favoured device, I would have liked to see a full-touch device that had a little more oomph.
    I still have a fantasy that they'll surprise us with a Leap Pro or Leap Plus with better CPU, 32GB storage, and ---dare to dream--- a higher res display. I've filled this alongside my fantasies of the Cancer winning the 2010 Stanley Cup and of Vancouver not rioting if they don't.

In other news, I had hands on a Leap last week at Telus store. Decent hardware, decent display. If it had even the mildest increase in CPU speed and 32GB, I'd give one a try since I don't use NFC, Miracast, etc, anyway. But no way I'd give up Z30 to get a Leap as it actually is.
    06-01-15 01:42 PM
    The slider count as 2 (full touch - kb)

 CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680 
    You are about to fan some flames.
    moegh likes this.
    06-04-15 08:12 AM
    Slider "Pro Plus" -----64GB internal memory + expandable 128GB
    Slider (4.7 inches" )------replacing the Z10 ----32GB + expandable
    Leap
    Classic
    06-04-15 08:17 AM
    It's looks very thin indeed. Can't wait to see final product live.
    06-04-15 11:03 AM
56 123