"We have a couple of very exciting devices that are going to come out towards the end of this calendar year."

In the next paragraph he says "The one big area we were sliding was in the service area."

I see what you did there Mr. Chen. I'm definitely not reading too much into this

So that gives a rough estimate for when the slider should be released. The operative word being should of course.

Source: John Chen discusses privacy, security and BlackBerry's hardware business | CrackBerry.com
    05-29-15 06:40 PM
    Four devices this fiscal year.

How many already?
    05-29-15 09:44 PM
    John Chen thought that the Classic was an exciting device.

But, I'm curious about the "four devices," too. Chen is correct in that the Slider is exciting. A lot of people have suggested that the version of the Passport for the Chinese market is one of the four and the Porsche Design phone is also. If we are wrong about either of those assumptions, we could have another device.

I'm interested in 10.4. There were rumors that the first generation devices would go end of life when 10.4 came out. Is that because it makes use of some special new hardware? 64 bit? Switching Android Kernal for QNX kernal? Hypervisor required 3 gig of RAM? We don't know, but it's fascinating and we haven't seen any leaks. Not even screen shots. Could be big! Chen may be right that there is reason to be excited.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 12:25 AM
    Four devices? Hmmm. Let's see. We have:

1) Leap (hopefully the only low-end)
    2) Slider
    3) High-end Q device (hopefully)
    4) Passport 2?

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    05-30-15 02:20 AM

2) Slider
    4) Passport 2?

Instead of a passport 2 I would like to see a properly updated Z30 device. But with the woven glass back cover of the current Z30. It's just too beautiful to not have it Hehe.

05-30-15 04:49 AM
    John Chen thought that the Classic was an exciting device.

But, I'm curious about the "four devices," too. Chen is correct in that the Slider is exciting. A lot of people have suggested that the version of the Passport for the Chinese market is one of the four and the Porsche Design phone is also. If we are wrong about either of those assumptions, we could have another device.

I'm interested in 10.4. There were rumors that the first generation devices would go end of life when 10.4 came out. Is that because it makes use of some special new hardware? 64 bit? Switching Android Kernal for QNX kernal? Hypervisor required 3 gig of RAM? We don't know, but it's fascinating and we haven't seen any leaks. Not even screen shots. Could be big! Chen may be right that there is reason to be excited.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if they will switch to 64bit yet, I imagine it could cause some issues with 32 bit Cascades Apps, although Qt does support 64 so it could do
    05-30-15 04:59 AM
    ''We have a couple of very exciting devices that are going to come out towards the end of this calendar year."

And also : ''So things are clicking there''

I just hope there will be a Q10 replacement as after two years blackberry needs a handy pocket friendly one-handed device in its catalogue.

I find it a little too early for a Passport refresh, with the specs it has it can easily wait until mid 2016.
    So 4 devices could be:
    Classic
    Leap
    A Q10 like with innovative retractable keyboard
    Z30 iteration (maybe the big slider is the one in Chen's mind as you can use it as a full touch if you want)

The Porsche Design isn't really a Blackberry device more of a niche within Blackberry's niche market, i.e. for a fraction of the 1%.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BroncoVAL; 05-30-15 at 05:49 AM.
    Marcin Dabrowsky and MiKEeMiC like this.
    05-30-15 05:12 AM
    Porsche design
    leap
    slider
    passport refresh
    05-30-15 05:35 AM
    ''We have a couple of very exciting devices that are going to come out towards the end of this calendar year."

And also : ''So things are clicking there''

I just hope there will be a Q10 replacement as after two years blackberry needs a handy pocket friendly one-handed device in its catalogue.

I find it a little too early for a Passport refresh, with the specs it has it can easily wait until mid 2016.
    So 4 devices could be:
    Classic
    Leap
    A Q10 like with innovative retractable keyboard
    Z30 iteration (maybe the big slider is the one in Chen's mind as you can use it as a full touch if you want)

The Porsche Design isn't really a Blackberry device more of a niche within Blackberry's niche market, i.e. for a fraction of the 1%.
    Posted via CB10
    I don't see many people using a slider as a full touch device, it would be too thick for that
    05-30-15 06:48 AM
    4 Devices:

BlackBerry Leap (Mid - Low)
    Porsche Design P'9984 (Mid - High) (Passport Specs)
    BlackBerry "Slider" - (High End)
    BlackBerry "Oslo" - (Mid - High) (Qwerty)

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    05-30-15 11:01 AM
    Maybe the slider is exciting to him because it will test new hardware manufacturing relationships.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino and Madhuchandran like this.
    05-30-15 11:26 AM
    Porsche design
    leap
    slider
    passport refresh
    +1

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone
    05-30-15 11:56 AM
    Not sure if they will switch to 64bit yet, I imagine it could cause some issues with 32 bit Cascades Apps, although Qt does support 64 so it could do
    Both iOS and Android maintained backwards compatibility with 32-bit apps when transitioning to 64-bit. Is there something inherently different about BB10 that would make this more difficult?
    05-30-15 02:24 PM
    Both iOS and Android maintained backwards compatibility with 32-bit apps when transitioning to 64-bit. Is there something inherently different about BB10 that would make this more difficult?
    I was told by some Android users it caused a few problems, not sure what exactly though, I didn't get a very good explanation.
    05-30-15 02:47 PM

2) Slider
    4) Passport 2?

I can't see them updating the Passport mere months in. Hopefully a high end touch to have updated devices on all fronts.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 02:57 PM
    My friend who works at BB has used the slider, he's very impressed with it. To put it in perspective he was not super excited about the Passport...so it should be good. Still probably won't sell much beyond the BB faithful, but I'm looking forward to it.
    05-30-15 03:24 PM
    My friend who works at BB has used the slider, he's very impressed with it. To put it in perspective he was not super excited about the Passport...so it should be good. Still probably won't sell much beyond the BB faithful, but I'm looking forward to it.
    So u have the faintest idea how it is going to appear and funktion?

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.3442
    05-30-15 04:09 PM
    Nope, nor the release date, but it is this year as Chen said. Actually he did say it wasn't awkward to hold with the keyboard out, which would be one of my concerns.
    05-30-15 04:29 PM
    @paulwallace1234:
    I agree with you but Chen seems to focus on keyboard and on a total of 4 devices:
    2 full touch (Leap, and a Z30 iteration)+ the giant slider (which is principally conceived like a Samsung Edge)
    then the Classic would be the only true keyboard device.
    I think the Z30 needs a successor asap, but the Q10 form factor needs one too because all the last and anticipated devices are bigger than the Q-line.
    That's why i can imagine Chen associating the big Slider (based on the Samsung Edge) to something close enough to a Z30 successor, and in that perspective the second slider should be on a more pocket friendly form factor to meet Q10's specs.
    But who knows...
    05-30-15 05:40 PM
    1. Leap
    2. Slider
    3. Classic Special Edition
    4. PlayBook 2
    05-30-15 06:23 PM
    When is the calendar year over??

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-30-15 06:28 PM
    December 31st.....i am assuming he is speaking of the Gregorian calendar.

Posted via CB10
    p1800nut likes this.
    05-30-15 07:19 PM
    The slider count as 2 (full touch - kb)

 CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680 
    wincyUt likes this.
    05-30-15 07:37 PM
    1. Leap
    2. Slider
    3. Classic Special Edition
    4. PlayBook 2
    PlayBook 2? Scary thought.

Posted via C5303
    eldricho and madman0141 like this.
    05-30-15 08:10 PM
    When is the calendar year over??

Posted via CB10
    December 31, 2015

You might be thinking of fiscal year which is different. That ends sometime in early 2016 for BlackBerry.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    05-30-15 08:14 PM
56 123