Here's something I knew about.

https://www.blackberrycentral.com/ne...uncher-google/

In Squircle I Trust
    I have been following this thread since the beginning, (great info so far..) but I have a simple question: the 3 options identified by Dylan (BlackBerry Keyboard, Launcher & exFAT Listed In Google Play) are NOT already pre-loaded on the PRIV?? Why would anyone want to pay so much $$ for the device then have to download 3 very specific and (IMHO) critical features from Google Play of all places...

Please help me understand this and if I misread Dylans posting, I apologize in advance..

STL100-4 10.3.2.2789
    10-26-15 03:04 PM
    I have been following this thread since the beginning, (great info so far..) but I have a simple question: the 3 options identified by Dylan (BlackBerry Keyboard, Launcher & exFAT Listed In Google Play) are NOT already pre-loaded on the PRIV?? Why would anyone want to pay so much $$ for the device then have to download 3 very specific and (IMHO) critical features from Google Play of all places...

Please help me understand this and if I misread Dylans posting, I apologize in advance..

STL100-4 10.3.2.2789
    Maybe it's a "software" strategy.?

In Squircle I Trust
    10-26-15 03:09 PM
    Maybe it's a "software" strategy.?

In Squircle I Trust
    OK, maybe but I am still confused/concerned - if (big IF) the goal of this device is to lock it down (no rooting, PIN Injection etc..) why not install from the factory. the 3 possibly Biggest pieces of software that people love about Blackberry? Maybe it is just me, but that one threw me..

On a side note and I haven't seen anyone ask you this question yet - regarding BBM and secure "Encrypted" Comms traversing through Blackberry's Servers and Infrastructure, has anyone seen the ubiquitous Blackberry Icon anywhere on the main/home screen? If this was not on the 3 devices you saw (see, I did read the entire thread ) does that mean we as loyal BBM users (insert joke here) lose that secure traversing of BB' Network??

Thanks again for opening all our eyes about this device so far..

STL100-4 10.3.2.2789
    10-26-15 03:15 PM
    It's already on the priv. It's for the droid heads

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-26-15 03:16 PM
    I'm sure they are just there to reinstall if they get uninstalled.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 03:18 PM
    I'm sure they are just there to reinstall if they get uninstalled.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe...
    I can't seem to pull the apk files for what ever reason.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-26-15 03:21 PM
    Having those programs on the Play store allows for BlackBerry to update those modules thru Google Play (as an app update), rather than make it a software update thru the carriers.

I'm going to download that launcher though for my Note 3 and see what happens. It'd be neat to have those capabilities without having to buy a Perv.
    10-26-15 03:22 PM

STL100-4 10.3.2.2789
    They're pre-loaded on, but like Google Apps they have to be listed in order to receive updates. Same thing happens for Gmail, Google Maps, etc. They're all pre-loaded, you can't uninstall them, but they appear in Google Play all the same
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    10-26-15 03:23 PM
    Having those programs on the Play store allows for BlackBerry to update those modules thru Google Play (as an app update), rather than make it a software update thru the carriers.

I'm going to download that launcher though for my Note 3 and see what happens. It'd be neat to have those capabilities without having to buy a Perv.
    "Perv"?? was that a Note 3 typo?

I respect all the answers so far, but would really like to see what GP540 ha to say as he seems to be the only one with actual hands on experience so far..
    10-26-15 03:24 PM

I respect all the answers so far, but would really like to see what GP540 ha to say as he seems to be the only one with actual hands on experience so far..
    The above statement you quoted is about it.

From what I can tell i'm getting an invalid equipment error trying to rip the launcher apk.

In Squircle I Trust
    zephyr613 likes this.
    10-26-15 03:27 PM
    They're pre-loaded on, but like Google Apps they have to be listed in order to receive updates. Same thing happens for Gmail, Google Maps, etc. They're all pre-loaded, you can't uninstall them, but they appear in Google Play all the same
    Understood, but would they be "forced" updates (since the existing Android 5.1 doesn't yet allow for permission changes - my sons Android frequently updates his app without his knowledge or permission) or would we as users have to somehow "grant" (or at the least say OK to a pop-up) to allow updates..?

STL100-4 10.3.2.2789
    10-26-15 03:28 PM
    Understood, but would they be "forced" updates (since the existing Android 5.1 doesn't yet allow for permission changes - my sons Android frequently updates his app without his knowledge or permission) or would we as users have to somehow "grant" (or at the least say OK to a pop-up) to allow updates..?

STL100-4 10.3.2.2789
    Gplay has a option to stop update automatically. .

I've got a date with the Priv [Updated]-img_20151026_143047.png

In Squircle I Trust
    zephyr613 and dietertong like this.
    10-26-15 03:31 PM
    Gplay has a option to stop update automatically. .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151026_143047.png 
Views:	1525 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	377576

In Squircle I Trust
    Thank you, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar - now what do you think about my BB Icon question re the Infrastructure - did you see any indication of such on any of the 3 models you saw?

STL100-4 10.3.2.2789
    10-26-15 03:33 PM
    Yes it was. Yet another knock against Vkbs& the name Blackberry chose for project Venice.

zephyr613 likes this.
    10-26-15 03:35 PM
    Can we quick reply bbm! That matters!

There is a couple things in your question

Yes bbm travels through BlackBerry servers.
    The  logo I haven't seen.

In Squircle I Trust
    There is a couple things in your question

Yes bbm travels through BlackBerry servers.
    The  logo I haven't seen.

In Squircle I Trust
    Umm ok, I can read between the lines, but the BB Logo has been an integral part of monitoring Network Connectivity as well as troubleshoot - think the old BBOS days of the arrow going up and down to show Network transport.... I would think that would be included, but if you didn't see it, how can you (or we) be assured that BBM does indeed travel though Blackberry's servers? I have a Z10, My son has a Z10 (though not on a leaked OS as I am) but my other son has an Android and I know for sure that my BBM messages sent to my son who has the Z10 are secure yet the BBM messages sent to my other son who has the Android are NOT Secure even though I have the BB Logo..

I have been using and testing Blackberry devices since the days of the 957 (BETA OS's as well as physical devices), up until 2 years ago when the Beta devices stopped showing up and my NDA expired...

STL100-4 10.3.2.2789
    10-26-15 03:43 PM
    Since its android software pretty much, did you find out if its going to work with blackberry link?

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 04:15 PM
    Since its android software pretty much, did you find out if its going to work with blackberry link?

Posted via CB10
    Probably not, but who knows? For all their faults, BlackBerry has proven time and time again that they're engineering wizards (hope there are still enough of them around though...)

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 07:11 PM

STL100-4 10.3.2.2789
    Maybe like HTC, Samsung and LG they would like to add more functionality to the apps without needing to patch the whole OS to do it .... Maybe fix bugs and deliver it effectively while keeping the apps out of the core system is the best way to do it.
    I take it a few of you never owned a HTC or Samsung which i have had both .... so essentially in my play store list i see HTC apps, Samsung apps and LG apps but i cannot download the HTC keyboard, launcher, music player gallery app or even the keyboard since i have an Samsung S6 currently. I'm assuming that BB is doing the same with their apps. I also cant download some Samsung software i had because its specific to the S4 i had so there is that level of device restriction as well on google play.

Since they are going the decoupled apps route (brilliant move) i would like to see a weather clock widget and app built by BB included in the launcher and maybe hub integration for the left most panel of the launcher much like HTC and Samsung does with briefing and blink-feed.

I can see them selling the BB keyboard for a 0.99, 2.99 or even 4.99 price.

If BB allows all these apps to be downloaded by the masses then the Priv is irrelevant in a sense and the price tag is not worth it unless they cripple the functionality of said apps on non Priv devices to entice users to get the priv.
    Last edited by Brandon Tobias; 10-26-15 at 08:53 PM.
    10-26-15 08:28 PM
    That's why an Z5 Compact-sized Priv would kill.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry Priv Compact? I can get behind that!
    nonamenomore and motec bb like this.
    10-26-15 08:31 PM
    Blackberry Priv Compact? I can get behind that!
    The phone is not that big ... making it small like the Z5 compact would cause a reduction in specs

Samsung
    S6 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8 mm (5.65 x 2.78 x 0.27 in)
    ON7 151.8 x 77.5 x 8.2 mm (5.98 x 3.05 x 0.32 in)
    LG
    G3 146.3 x 74.6 x 8.9 mm (5.76 x 2.94 x 0.35 in)
    G4 148.9 x 76.1 x 6.3 - 9.8 mm
    BlackBerry
    Priv 147 x 77.2 x 9.4 mm (5.79 x 3.04 x 0.37 in)

I don't find the size bad at all but hey some ppl like compact phones.
    10-26-15 08:49 PM
    Agreed it's not that big.
    It's a lil' tall open but not big by any means.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-27-15 01:58 AM
    TWSS!
    00stryder and ikalinin like this.
    10-27-15 02:06 AM
    Agreed it's not that big.
    It's a lil' tall open but not big by any means.

In Squircle I Trust
    Maybe it's not big for some. But I'd be coming from a Q10, so in that context, hmmm...?
    10-27-15 02:25 AM
616 ... 2122232425