can you please explain to the ill informed minds why they are not secure?
    10-22-15 12:39 PM
    Google called BlackBerry. Not the other way around.

In Squircle I Trust
    How do y'all u know that? Still doesn't dispute the fact Google could use Blackberrys knowledge to secure Android effectively making the Priv pointless.
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    10-22-15 12:48 PM
    For example if for what ever reason you get arrested you must unlock your device with your finger print with out a warrant... but they must have a warrant for a your password... but your still able to "forget it"

In Squircle I Trust
    kadakn01 likes this.
    10-22-15 12:50 PM
    Would you expect the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge at a Passport Price? No, it's a much higher spec phone. Why would you expect any different from Priv?

Infact the Priv has a bigger battery and higher megapixel count on its rear camera. You should have expected it to be at least as expensive as the S6 Edge.

Really can't for the life of me understand why people expected the phone to have a mid range price on a super high end phone.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe it's because a phone like the Nexus6P - which is "higher end" in almost every area (newer CPU/GPU, all aluminium, larger battery, 8MP FFC, fingerprint sensor, Sony camera sensor, etc.) comes in starting at $500. The only thing it lacks is a physical keyboard.

If you step down to the Google Nexus5X that comes with the Snapdragon 808 that the Priv uses - it is $429! Now granted - the Priv does beat out the 5X in most other areas....

But I am just trying to give you examples of, "why people keep saying," maybe it should have been price more competitively.

The good news is the average consumer doesn't even know what a Nexus is or who makes them or how you buy one.

Of course the bad news is - the Priv is in that same spot right now. And a more attractive price point would have brought a more positive reaction from the tech press.
    10-22-15 12:50 PM
    How do y'all u know that? Still doesn't dispute the fact Google could use Blackberrys knowledge to secure Android effectively making the Priv pointless.
    Well see what happens then I guess.

But BlackBerry has a full time presence at google now.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 12:51 PM
    Maybe it's because a phone like the Nexus6P - which is "higher end" in almost every area (newer CPU/GPU, all aluminium, larger battery, 8MP FFC, fingerprint sensor, Sony camera sensor, etc.) comes in starting at $500. The only thing it lacks is a physical keyboard.

If you step down to the Google Nexus5X that comes with the Snapdragon 808 that the Priv uses - it is $429! Now granted - the Priv does beat out the 5X in most other areas....

But I am just trying to give you examples of, "why people keep saying," maybe it should have been price more competitively.

The good news is the average consumer doesn't even know what a Nexus is or who makes them or how you buy one.

Of course the bad news is - the Priv is in that same spot right now. And a more attractive price point would have brought a more positive reaction from the tech press.
    The average consumer thinks BlackBerry is dead. Lol

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 12:52 PM
    First thing that any family member can tke your finger and open the phone, 2nd thing, copying the fingerprint is so easy, you just need some kind of glue, that's all I know?

CB10�Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2639
    10-22-15 12:53 PM
    that may be true, but that's not related to security. In that specific case, it's more of a legal issue. They can still subpoena all your texts, emails, and other communications.

unless your fingerprints are being sent back to the manufacturer and not encrypted, i can't buy that it's not secure.
    10-22-15 12:57 PM

In Squircle I Trust
    Exactly!

The exact reason why Blackberry needed to do everything within their power to make this phone as attractive as possible.

Sacrifice your profits now, build a following in the Android community, then step up your bottom line on, "the Priv 2," or, "the Passport for Android," etc.
    1magine and Darkknight1996 like this.
    10-22-15 12:58 PM
    Well see what happens then I guess.

But BlackBerry has a full time presence at google now.

In Squircle I Trust
    Will be interesting how it plays out. Hopefully it goes in BBs favour. I have never used BB before but the Priv has me excited for sure.
    10-22-15 12:58 PM
    Exactly!

The exact reason why Blackberry needed to do everything within their power to make this phone as attractive as possible.

Sacrifice your profits now, build a following in the Android community, then step up your bottom line on, "the Priv 2," or, "the Passport for Android," etc.
    Dual boot would solve this problem. I want to use BB10 on the Priv, maybe if it sells well they'll sell a BB10 version.
    thepolishguy likes this.
    10-22-15 01:02 PM
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that. First, the PRIV has to sell well enough for BlackBerry to even consider another device down the line. Second, as many have already stated, BlackBerry will likely resist fingerprint scanners for as long as possible because of the possible security compromise that come with them, even if they're more convenient. If they do implement it in the future, it'll likely only be via 2- or multi-verification methods (additional decrypt key on the person or some other security measure that's less likely to be duplicated).

Posted via CB10
    true,good point. this might be the last device if it doesn't do well....
    10-22-15 01:03 PM

In Squircle I Trust
    And the funny thing is, when you tell them that it's not and you show them the devices, same words again and again (BlackBerry is dead)

10-22-15 01:06 PM
    that may be true, but that's not related to security. In that specific case, it's more of a legal issue. They can still subpoena all your texts, emails, and other communications.

unless your fingerprints are being sent back to the manufacturer and not encrypted, i can't buy that it's not secure.
    Absolutely it is... what if someone donkey punches you in the back of the head.... takes your phone see's it's locked with finger print uses your hand, and steals your identity because you have left your personal information on the device...

Far fetched idea but it's true.

In Squircle I Trust
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    10-22-15 01:22 PM
    Exactly!

I hate to be brutal and honest... but what profits?

BlackBerry has priced this phone so they make a profit for once on the hardware.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 01:24 PM
    And the funny thing is, when you tell them that it's not and you show them the devices, same words again and again (BlackBerry is dead)

Pretty much I hear it all the time.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 01:24 PM
    Absolutely it is... what if someone donkey punches you in the back of the head.... takes your phone see's it's locked with finger print uses your hand, and steals your identity because you have left your personal information on the device...

Far fetched idea but it's true.

In Squircle I Trust
    ok! sure not out of the realm of possibility, but that's the same person who will point a gun to your head or threaten bodily harm if you don't unlock your phone with your code. if they want in, they will get in. anyway, i see your point, but at the end of the day, i wish they used on on the priv to atleast future proof the device if nothing else..
    10-22-15 01:42 PM
    ok! sure not out of the realm of possibility, but that's the same person who will point a gun to your head or threaten bodily harm if you don't unlock your phone with your code. if they want in, they will get in. anyway, i see your point, but at the end of the day, i wish they used on on the priv to atleast future proof the device if nothing else..
    Future proofing would have been adding iris scanning finger print unlock is ancient history.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 02:15 PM
    Let's get back on track there's a topic for finger print scanner on the Priv subforum.

In Squircle I Trust
    ikalinin and chrispmoto like this.
    10-22-15 02:15 PM
    Hey OP.. thanks for the pics and info.

I am not sure if this was posted, but did Blackberry include any type of "Kill Switch" on the PRIV? In case of theft or loss.

and does it have the "Recovery" partition that you can get into with Android devices to perform a factory reset? usually press Power and Volume Up or Down (depending on device) .

Cheers
    10-22-15 02:27 PM
    Hey OP.. thanks for the pics and info.

I am not sure if this was posted, but did Blackberry include any type of "Kill Switch" on the PRIV? In case of theft or loss.

and does it have the "Recovery" partition that you can get into with Android devices to perform a factory reset? usually press Power and Volume Up or Down (depending on device) .

Cheers
    Yes, it's whatever google uses ATM.

I'm unsure on the "partition" questions (sorry)

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 02:31 PM
    i saw somewhere there was blackberry world on the Priv. is this the case?
    10-22-15 02:35 PM
    What's this "dual track" about that yu speak of? Is that some new innovative way to make a slider?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 02:45 PM
    1 charging indicator and likely has notifications like s6edge.
    2 no answer for you sorry I know it's usb2.0
    3 felt like Passport but smaller keys.
    4 on par with Passport and z30

In Squircle I Trust
    nice thanks ...
    good since the passport keys are nice but that phone is to big.

Things i noticed the BB could have done
    1) I would have liked a lightly skined android with a very light BB10 meets material look where the hub is built in the the left most panel of the home screen like how samsung does its briefing panel or HTC does its blinkfeed. Also a nice weather clock widget built in and a lightly skinned notification shade.
    2) A usb C port with fast charge would have been nice (fastcharge could be in the priv now not confirmed)
    3) The frets are missing i agree the keys look wierd without it but dont mind it. (not a deal breaker).
    4) power buttonon the left hand side with a built in fingerprint reader like sony did would have been cool.

i was hoping
    1) for stereo speakers, ie earpeice speaker would also double as a loud speaker.
    2) double tap to wake (hope it has this)

So far for a generation 1 device it looks solid but price will make or break me sigh ... guess imma hold on to my S6 if its too high...
    Last edited by Brandon Tobias; 10-22-15 at 03:20 PM.
    1magine and anon4226395 like this.
    10-22-15 03:02 PM
    Whatever, they can shut up and take my money! I'm getting that baby as soon as possible. I don't care about Apple, I only care about my requirements and the Priv suits me. Along with my Passport for work, I'm sorted. I don't care about the damn price, it's only marginally more expensive than my day one Z10 because of carrier plans getting cheaper so BRING IT ON!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 O2 UK
    Exactly my point - you want it. You don't care if it's overpriced. You'll buy it. You bought a Z10 at near the same price. Man, if everyone who bought a Z10 buys the Priv - wow! Can you imagine? BBRY will have an absolute hit...er, what, Z10 sold how many? Oh. Never mind.
    Cashgap likes this.
    10-22-15 03:08 PM
616 ... 1314151617 ...