Good rant.
    Hit some good points.

BlackBerry has focus on other things.

I hear they have some full time presence at google hq now.
    They are working on a few new software ideas. (2 factor authentication)
    Qnx has big plans this year
    IOT will take off.

In Squircle I Trust
    So the question here is are you going to buy one when it's released? Spending some time with it made you want to have it even more or you already planned on buying it?
    10-22-15 11:27 AM
    What's the difference what consumers want? If the majority of consumers want something it sells - period. The question of right or wrong is not applicable. It doesn't matter if the I-phone is really a piece of cardboard with thin strings that smells like manure. It sells incredibly well. If you want to sell hardware in the mobile phone space, you need to sell what consumers (businesses are consumers - no need to have this argument again) want at a price they will pay. Blackberry has not established a good reputation for hardware or software. The front facing camera will not be welcomed by tech sites in an age where selfies are king. As a BYOD business device, it will not make it into the highly secured space for at least a year because it runs Android (and Lolipop at that). As a BYOD in less secured spaces, it is priced significantly higher than most high end devices. This device - no BB device could ever compete with Apple in 2015. So there is no reason to price it in that range. For that matter, HTC offers a free year of warranty for any damage or defect. BB must be directly competing with LG and Samsung in the consumer/ BYOD business space. So, is the iconic BB keyboard enough of a pull to make anyone pay so much more? I don't think so. I think this spells the end for BB hardware.
    I don't think BlackBerry has a "bad" reputation for hardware or software. A lot of business people and governments still use it. People just don't know if they are still around due to poor marketing.

Any hardcore security person will use a BB10 device. As for the rest (and the majority) of the BYOD people, the Priv will be as secure (if not better) than MOST Android devices.

I don't believe the Priv is targeted to take down Apple at all. It is targeted to take a piece out of the Android pie which is pretty big.

As for the price, it is the MSRP. The Canadian price is due to the poor exchange rate. When was the last time you bought something for MSRP? If you want to buy it now, pay for it... otherwise wait for the price to drop like everyone else.
    10-22-15 11:30 AM
    only 3 photos ?
    10-22-15 11:32 AM
    I am definitely buying the Priv. If BB can update to MM soon then that's another big selling point. The Priv has some killer features IMO. Not the latest but still killer. I sold my iPhone 6 Plus in Aug and can't wait to have a unique phone, something refreshing.

I don't know how to take this. BB could gain Android knowledge and potential leverage (possible next Nexus). However if BB help Google secure Android doesn't that void Priv altogether?
    Google called BlackBerry. Not the other way around.

In Squircle I Trust
    anon4226395 and Steelsheen like this.
    10-22-15 11:33 AM
    two miscues IMHO

1. it's lollipop and therefore can't control privacy\ app permissions as well as 6.0 (understand that this will be fixed in future, so not deal breaker)
    2. no finger print reader to take advantage of native marshmellow feature. (big mistake in my book)

i'll still buy one, but it sucks i'll have to buy second gen with finger print reader.
    Finger print scanners are not secure. Period.

And by law you can be forced to provide your finger to unlock your device... passwords you don't have to.

In Squircle I Trust
    deadcowboy likes this.
    10-22-15 11:35 AM
    So the question here is are you going to buy one when it's released? Spending some time with it made you want to have it even more or you already planned on buying it?
    I only just ran out of warranty on my Passport. So no I won't be rushing to buy one.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 11:36 AM
    only 3 photos ?
    Like I said in post 1

I was not allowed to photograph... I had a go pro in my back pocket I was only able to nab 3 photos covertly while BlackBerry reps back was turned.

In Squircle I Trust
    PKB_Desires likes this.
    10-22-15 11:37 AM
    Like I said in post 1

I was not allowed to photograph... I had a go pro in my back pocket I was only able to nab 3 photos covertly while BlackBerry reps back was turned.

In Squircle I Trust
    We understand..its not worthy to risking the BlackBerry rep job..beside that the video is already out and many pics already available
    10-22-15 11:40 AM
    where do the fingerprints get stored, on the phone itself, correct?
    10-22-15 11:42 AM
    Too expensive, just too expensive for me. If they had at least kept the price the same as the Passport, then maybe I would have gotten one. Instead I'll pick up the new HTC offering. I was really hoping to go back to a Blackberry device, I wanted it badly, but not at $750 plus tax.
    Would you expect the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge at a Passport Price? No, it's a much higher spec phone. Why would you expect any different from Priv?

Infact the Priv has a bigger battery and higher megapixel count on its rear camera. You should have expected it to be at least as expensive as the S6 Edge.

Really can't for the life of me understand why people expected the phone to have a mid range price on a super high end phone.

Posted via CB10
    2vince6 likes this.
    10-22-15 11:50 AM
    does it feel like it is too big for a smartphone?
    10-22-15 11:51 AM
    Talk about the hub. How is it vs. BB10 experience. Will Android users find it awesome?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 11:53 AM
    with a back door to the cloud at the company.....maybe...I wouldn't trust it
    10-22-15 12:01 PM
    What's the difference what consumers want? If the majority of consumers want something it sells - period. The question of right or wrong is not applicable. It doesn't matter if the I-phone is really a piece of cardboard with thin strings that smells like manure. It sells incredibly well. If you want to sell hardware in the mobile phone space, you need to sell what consumers (businesses are consumers - no need to have this argument again) want at a price they will pay. Blackberry has not established a good reputation for hardware or software. The front facing camera will not be welcomed by tech sites in an age where selfies are king. As a BYOD business device, it will not make it into the highly secured space for at least a year because it runs Android (and Lolipop at that). As a BYOD in less secured spaces, it is priced significantly higher than most high end devices. This device - no BB device could ever compete with Apple in 2015. So there is no reason to price it in that range. For that matter, HTC offers a free year of warranty for any damage or defect. BB must be directly competing with LG and Samsung in the consumer/ BYOD business space. So, is the iconic BB keyboard enough of a pull to make anyone pay so much more? I don't think so. I think this spells the end for BB hardware.
    Whatever, they can shut up and take my money! I'm getting that baby as soon as possible. I don't care about Apple, I only care about my requirements and the Priv suits me. Along with my Passport for work, I'm sorted. I don't care about the damn price, it's only marginally more expensive than my day one Z10 because of carrier plans getting cheaper so BRING IT ON!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 O2 UK
    DolemiteDONS and anon4226395 like this.
    10-22-15 12:05 PM
    were you able to confirm camera specs? 2mp front, 5mb front?
    and widgets and/or actions from the edge?
    how long do you hold for the hub interaction? does it seem too long of a gesture for the "quick access" ?
    10-22-15 12:08 PM
    does it feel like it is too big for a smartphone?
    No its actually really well balanced. Little bigger than z30 closed and isn't top heavy open.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 12:16 PM
    Talk about the hub. How is it vs. BB10 experience. Will Android users find it awesome?

Posted via CB10
    Alas there were no accounts set up on the device I used but from what im told it's just like bb10 with more accounts able to link ie whatsapp...

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 12:17 PM
    were you able to confirm camera specs? 2mp front, 5mb front?
    and widgets and/or actions from the edge?
    how long do you hold for the hub interaction? does it seem too long of a gesture for the "quick access" ?
    It's like a 0.5 second hold.

Yes widgets are there... and some apps have interactive "live tiles" see apps with the 3 dots.

In Squircle I Trust
    ynotbme likes this.
    10-22-15 12:19 PM
    two miscues IMHO

1. it's lollipop and therefore can't control privacy\ app permissions as well as 6.0 (understand that this will be fixed in future, so not deal breaker)
    2. no finger print reader to take advantage of native marshmellow feature. (big mistake in my book)

i'll still buy one, but it sucks i'll have to buy second gen with finger print reader.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that. First, the PRIV has to sell well enough for BlackBerry to even consider another device down the line. Second, as many have already stated, BlackBerry will likely resist fingerprint scanners for as long as possible because of the possible security compromise that come with them, even if they're more convenient. If they do implement it in the future, it'll likely only be via 2- or multi-verification methods (additional decrypt key on the person or some other security measure that's less likely to be duplicated).

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 12:20 PM
    It's like a 0.5 second hold.

Yes widgets are there... and some apps have interactive "live tiles" see apps with the 3 dots.

And yes 18 rear dual colour flash
    Ffc is 2mp.
    In Squircle I Trust

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 12:21 PM
    So apps with 3 dots have live tiles?
    10-22-15 12:23 PM
    Would you expect the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge at a Passport Price? No, it's a much higher spec phone. Why would you expect any different from Priv?

Infact the Priv has a bigger battery and higher megapixel count on its rear camera. You should have expected it to be at least as expensive as the S6 Edge.

Really can't for the life of me understand why people expected the phone to have a mid range price on a super high end phone.

Posted via CB10
    If they want to increase their market share (which is near nil), they need to entice new people to buy. The easiest way to compete is on price. Carriers are discounting the hell out of S6's and iPhones. Why would anyone but a BB loyalist pay $750 American for a Priv?
    10-22-15 12:26 PM
    So apps with 3 dots have live tiles?
    Yeah think about your lock scren notifications, how you tap to see what it is then have option to open... but with more functionality.

In Squircle I Trust
    Uzi and Steelsheen like this.
    10-22-15 12:27 PM
    I might have missed something here!? Does it have fingerprint?

CB10�Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2639
    10-22-15 12:30 PM
    I might have missed something here!? Does it have fingerprint?

CB10�Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2639
    No. People with ill informed minds think that they need them... when they aren't secure.

In Squircle I Trust
    moegh, tufcustomer and 00stryder like this.
    10-22-15 12:32 PM
616 ... 1213141516 ...