You clearly need a lesson in marketing and product identity...the name of the product is an ESSENTIAL. Getting a customer to see the benefits of a product and creating the need is tied to its name.

And the current backlash against the name should be raising some red flags for BlackBerry.
    Who needs a lesson in marketing? Are you for real? I guess the guys who came up with iPad or Wii need to take lessons from you, right?

What's the current backlash and what segment is it coming from? Did you really think the survey done with CB followers is an accurate sampling data of the targeted population/market? Do you honestly think that the brand name that Blackberry will choose hasn't been researched and vetted?

Always remember anyone can be an armchair quarterback. And always remember not to take other peoples job/work and what they do for granted.
    09-24-15 08:21 PM
    The device itself is already controversial and giving it a name like that just makes it tenfold worse.
    There is nothing controversial about this slider. Who's it controversial with? A bunch of people whining like "jilted spouses". People in the Android world have positive reception to this slider.
    Last edited by wincyUt; 09-24-15 at 09:29 PM.
    09-24-15 08:29 PM
    Iphone, M9, Galaxy, Nexus, Moto G, Zenphone, Note, Xperia and soon Priv. Not really that bad a name when all rolled together. I'm not fussed as long as the Blackberry way of doing things continues to exist.
    09-24-15 08:58 PM
    Who needs a lesson in marketing? Are you for real? I guess the guys who came up with iPad or Wii need to take lessons from you, right?

What's the current backlash and what segment is it coming from? Did you really think the survey done with CB followers is an accurate sampling data of the targeted population/market? Do you honestly think that the brand name that Blackberry will choose hasn't been researched and vetted?

Always remember anyone can be an armchair quarterback. And always remember not to take other peoples job/work and what they do for granted.
    You might want to recall recent history a bit more carefully. Remember how massive the failure of these same sorts of "experts" was previously.
    You are speaking as if they've got some sterling record of success, when the exact opposite is true. So, all that expertise adds up to what exactly?

And no--the guys who made the iPad have succeeded wildly, and the Wii as well (not sure about Wii U).
    We've got actual instances to look at here, as indicators at least.

KAM
    Last edited by KAM1138; 09-24-15 at 09:23 PM.
    thinkinfinity likes this.
    09-24-15 09:09 PM
    There is nothing controversial about slider. Who's it controversial with? A bunch of people whining like "jilted spouses". People in the Android world have positive reception to this slider.
    Hold on a second. In your post just before this one (and earlier), you dismissed the validity of the Crackberry community's reaction to the supposed name of the Slider. I think you are probably off base on that, but time will tell.

However, you're referring to "People in the Android World." Ok, what people are those? What difference in rank do they have compared to us lowly Crackberry folks (who's opinions aren't valid)?

Also, you've expressed a desire for Data, and statistics, so I'll ask--what Data are you relying on for your claims?
    What's the statistics on the "positive reception" in this unspecified "Android World" What does "positive" mean? What percentage is positive?

Now, I don't really expect you to produce this sort of statistic, but you can't demand it from others, and then make unsupported claims of your own.

What you are expressing is the belief that BlackBerry DID in fact research and vet the name, but unless you have some backup for that, we really can't say one way or the other, or what the result of such a study would have showed. And assuming they did makes such a study, the results are only as good as the formulation of the study, which is made by the experts that you apparently have a lot of faith in, but who have failed pretty miserably in my view (the proof of that seems quite apparent, given the state of BlackBerry's brand).

So, I think you're putting a lot of undeserved faith in a company that has a proven record of failure in this arena (that being PR, and marketing).

Side note that is semi-relevant. I was quite excited about a BlackBerry Slider, coming from the Palm Pre--this was looking really promising. Then when the writing on the wall started to look clearer--that this was (probably) an Android (only) device, I moved to a Passport. I'd be VERY likely to buy a Slider running BB10.

KAM
    09-24-15 09:19 PM
    Hold on a second. In your post just before this one (and earlier), you dismissed the validity of the Crackberry community's reaction to the supposed name of the Slider. I think you are probably off base on that, but time will tell.

However, you're referring to "People in the Android World." Ok, what people are those? What difference in rank do they have compared to us lowly Crackberry folks (who's opinions aren't valid)?

Also, you've expressed a desire for Data, and statistics, so I'll ask--what Data are you relying on for your claims?
    What's the statistics on the "positive reception" in this unspecified "Android World" What does "positive" mean? What percentage is positive?

KAM
    I agree..

Althought Crackberry comunity is a bit more vocal about it (for obvious reasons), There are also plenty of comments kinda thrashing the "priv" name aswell.
    And as I said before, the cost to make a beatifull name is the same as bad one, so yeah, the name should be better, it was just a poor choice if it happens to be true.
    KAM1138 and thinkinfinity like this.
    09-24-15 09:25 PM
    I agree..

Althought Crackberry comunity is a bit more vocal about it (for obvious reasons), There are also plenty of comments kinda thrashing the "priv" name aswell.
    And as I said before, the cost to make a beatifull name is the same as bad one, so yeah, the name should be better, it was just a poor choice if it happens to be true.
    That's a good way of putting it. I'll tell you one thing. If I was the one who worked on this at BlackBerry and saw this reaction to the name I came up with...I'd be worried, not matter what my fancy "research" told me. Even a snapshot of reality trumps that pretty hard (usually).

KAM
    09-24-15 09:34 PM

Now, I don't really expect you to produce this sort of statistic, but you can't demand it from others, and then make unsupported claims of your own.

What you are expressing is the belief that BlackBerry DID in fact research and vet the name, but unless you have some backup for that, we really can't say one way or the other, or what the result of such a study would have showed. And assuming they did makes such a study, the results are only as good as the formulation of the study, which is made by the experts that you apparently have a lot of faith in, but who have failed pretty miserably in my view (the proof of that seems quite apparent, given the state of BlackBerry's brand).

So, I think you're putting a lot of undeserved faith in a company that has a proven record of failure in this arena (that being PR, and marketing).

Side note that is semi-relevant. I was quite excited about a BlackBerry Slider, coming from the Palm Pre--this was looking really promising. Then when the writing on the wall started to look clearer--that this was (probably) an Android (only) device, I moved to a Passport. I'd be VERY likely to buy a Slider running BB10.

KAM
    I said "positive reception" and that's a factual observation; however I didn't say that I was referring to a survey/polling. There is no denying that it seems that a lot people on the CB world don't like the name Priv and I respect their opinion, nevertheless the survey/polling that was conducted wasn't IMHO a good scientific representation of BlackBerry's market they may be targeting for this slider. For starters, maybe, Mobile Nation should conduct same type of survey/polling in the Android forums and let's compare the results.
    09-24-15 09:46 PM
    I agree..

The whole argument about the choice of name is very subjective and only time will tell whether it was a dumb or smart move. Also, lets wait until BlackBerry tells us the slider's name officially before we beat the horse to death.
    09-24-15 09:54 PM
    I said "positive reception" and that's a factual observation; however I didn't say that I was referring to a survey/polling. There is no denying that it seems that a lot people on the CB world don't like the name Priv and I respect their opinion, nevertheless the survey/polling that was conducted wasn't IMHO a good scientific representation of BlackBerry's market target for this slider. For starters, maybe, Mobile Nation should conduct same type of survey/polling in the Android forums and let's compare the results.
    You can do it yourself... yeah, it might not be as bad as in CB, but lets face it, most of them don't car as much because a lot of them aren't buying it. If there is a relevant "market" CB is one, because there should be the comunity that has the most "priv buyers" density out there. But people seem to like the name Venice a lot

But noneless, Tech or Android forums don't like the name either, have a look at the comment section:

BlackBerry Venice officially christened ?BlackBerry Priv? | Pocketnow

Look at the headline at TB:"BlackBerry Android slider official name has us scratching our heads"
    BlackBerry Android slider official name has us scratching our heads

BlackBerry's Rumored Venice Android Slider Could Be Officially Called "Priv"

BlackBerry Venice to be called the BlackBerry Priv?

In general, "priv" is taken with negativity, you barely see anyone liking it. At best you say people saying that don't care about the name (wich by itself says it isn't good)
    KAM1138 and thinkinfinity like this.
    09-24-15 09:54 PM
    I said "positive reception" and that's a factual observation; however I didn't say that I was referring to a survey/polling. There is no denying that it seems that a lot people on the CB world don't like the name Priv and I respect their opinion, nevertheless the survey/polling that was conducted wasn't IMHO a good scientific representation of BlackBerry's market target for this slider. For starters, maybe, Mobile Nation should conduct same type of survey/polling in the Android forums and let's compare the results.
    The "negative reaction" here is a factual observation of the same nature (validity).
    It is a factual observation that people at Crackberry think the name Priv is a poor choice.
    The question is what makes the group you are factually observing more valid than the group that dislikes the name "Priv"?

Polling Android Central's forums? Ok, sure, but by what basis is that pool of consumers more valid than the people on Crackberry?

I think it would be interesting to see the results of the same poll taken at Android Central, but I don't see what would make it more valid.

KAM
    09-24-15 09:56 PM
    The whole argument about the choice of name is very subjective and only time will tell whether it was a dumb or smart move. Also, lets wait until BlackBerry tells us the slider's name officially before we beat the horse to death.
    Oh we're LONG past that stage. The "horse" is an unidentifiable pile of goo by now, but that's what happens when people are left swinging in the wind without any solid information for months. I'm just a simple consumer, but I sure as hell wouldn't treat my customers and potential customers like that.

For the Record--I DO think the name is pretty bad, but in the end--if it (the phone) was what I wanted, it wouldn't slow me down a bit--BUT...I'm already a BlackBerry fan--someone who has chosen to stick around during these dark, depressing times.

KAM
    09-24-15 09:59 PM
    Time won't tell you anything because there will be only 1 device with 1 name. You could only see the difference if you had both Priv and Venice at sale and see wich sells more. And regardless, the name isn't going to decide if it's going to sell a lot of little, tha big majority won't care about the name, and if they do, they will buy it anyway. The amount of people that won't buy the phone just because of the name is minimum.

But that's how it is, a good name, helps to give that "seductive power", and "priv" isn't that name. It's in front of our eyes, people don't like it, even the press is making weird headlines regarding the name, and that's not normal, or good by any amount
    09-24-15 10:05 PM
    The "negative reaction" here is a factual observation of the same nature (validity).
    It is a factual observation that people at Crackberry think the name Priv is a poor choice.
    The question is what makes the group you are factually observing more valid than the group that dislikes the name "Priv"?

Polling Android Central's forums? Ok, sure, but by what basis is that pool of consumers more valid than the people on Crackberry?

I think it would be interesting to see the results of the same poll taken at Android Central, but I don't see what would make it more valid.

KAM
    Its the total sum of both CB & Android forums) survey/polling that will give us some sort of meaningful representation; kinda like hearing from two opposite sides before forming an opinion.
    So it honestly doesn't matter what the device is called. The biggest hurdle will be that it's a BlackBerry, period. Love my Z10, Q10, Z30, Passport, Classic, and Graphite Porsche Design P'9983.

The bottom line is regardless of device name, BlackBerry is what will be heard followed by Android OS followed by it has a VKB and slide out PKB.

For this to be successful IMO, Android users have to be intrigued enough by the specs and slide out PKB to overcome their perceived stigma associated with BlackBerry.

I'm as big a BlackBerry fan as there is, that said I'm realistic. The name BlackBerry is cause for enough jokes as is, the name of the device won't make it worse. Market the hell out of the features and benefits and forget about the name.
    Time won't tell you anything because there will be only 1 device with 1 name. You could only see the difference if you had both Priv and Venice at sale and see wich sells more. And regardless, the name isn't going to decide if it's going to sell a lot of little, tha big majority won't care about the name, and if they do, they will buy it anyway. The amount of people that won't buy the phone just because of the name is minimum.

But that's how it is, a good name, helps to give that "seductive power", and "priv" isn't that name. It's in front of our eyes, people don't like it, and that's NOT normal.
    Isn't your statements contradictory? So what's all the fuss if "the name isn't going to decide if it's going to sell a lot or little" as you said.
    If the slider becomes a success, you would agree nothing matters.
    09-24-15 10:11 PM
    Meh, I don't like the name (btw, it evoked the word 'privilege' more than 'privacy' although 'perv' is now stuck in my head). Still, we must remember the heat Nintendo took naming their gaming system "wee" and that turned out alright.
    09-24-15 10:12 PM
    So it honestly doesn't matter what the device is called. The biggest hurdle will be that it's a BlackBerry, period. Love my Z10, Q10, Z30, Passport, Classic, and Graphite Porsche Design P'9983.

The bottom line is regardless of device name, BlackBerry is what will be heard followed by Android OS followed by it has a VKB and slide out PKB.

For this to be successful IMO, Android users have to be intrigued enough by the specs and slide out PKB to overcome their perceived stigma associated with BlackBerry.

I'm as big a BlackBerry fan as there is, that said I'm realistic. The name BlackBerry is cause for enough jokes as is, the name of the device won't make it worse. Market the hell out of the features and benefits and forget about the name.
    Very well said! Thanks.
    anon6040766 likes this.
    09-24-15 10:12 PM
    Isn't your statements contradictory? So what's all the fuss if "the name isn't going to decide if it's going to sell a lot or little" as you said.
    If the slider becomes a success, you would agree nothing matters.
    It's not "nothing matters" its "almost nothing matters". The difference is in the "almost", and the almost means a few sales, and not as good brand preception. If the price of doing a good or bad name is the same, why do would you want to have the "almost" there? Would you rather win the lottery by 10 million or 10.5 million? Would you rather buy the "priv" for 699$ or 679$?

In the end it always matters, not much, but it does. every bit, makes a little bit of difference, and little by little...
    09-24-15 10:30 PM
    Have ever heard "Bad publicity is way better than no publicity"? Are people, including you and I, not talking?
    The fact that no one is talking about blackberry is the problem, forget "you" or "I"...... With a name like priv, no one will ever give them a chance. WTF where they thinking??? Its a terrible name, just wrong in every way.
    09-24-15 10:43 PM
    I'll never get over it. And I'm not alone. It sucks to see a companies last chance to be shot to hell.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    09-24-15 11:45 PM
    Have ever heard "Bad publicity is way better than no publicity"? Are people, including you and I, not talking?
    It only works if nobody has ever heard of you. BlackBerry has a bad rep and a bad product name might finally kill it. Would you roll around in Volkswagen Hitler? Imagine the pick up lines!

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    09-24-15 11:47 PM
    It's been beaten to death, it's ugly name. Period.
    09-25-15 12:16 AM
    It's been beaten to death, it's ugly name. Period.
    It's not an ugly name. Period. What's your definition of ugly?
    09-25-15 07:30 AM
    It's not an ugly name. Period. What's your definition of ugly?
    A name that reminds me of a hole dug in dirt to catch logs of human **** that comes out of a human *** is my definition of ugly. And the filthy stench that comes with it.

It's just a name. GET OVER IT. Are nerves that frayed?-shit-pic.jpg

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    09-25-15 07:54 AM
139 12345 ...