...and don't forget: the people who probably came up with this name don't have near the emotional connection to this as we do. To many BlackBerry employees, they have a job, sure, fine. That doesn't mean they are real fans of the technology and actually care to the same degree that some CrackBerry members do. Frankly they're probably at the end of their rope watching all the handset division staff get the boot, and I wouldn't be surprised if the name "Priv" was developed and decided by people who are now no longer employees of BlackBerry as a final "Eff You!" to their ex employer.

It's THAT bad.
    I have no idea how they arrived at this name, if it turns out to be true. Maybe you're right. But what people like the OP don't seem to understand is that it doesn't matter.

It IS "That bad" as you mention, and our friend wincyUT thinks "prove it" argument is going to somehow change that reality.

My goodness--please, PLEASE tell me that someone at BlackBerry can apply SOME level of judgement and common sense to NOT follow whatever idiotic focus-group nonsense leads to a name like "Priv"

And yes--as painful as it might seem to accept, just because someone finds themselves in a VERY high position, doesn't mean they're smart, or competent or anything else. If you DON'T believe that, then look at whatever recent President you hate (likely one of the last two if not both), and see how well your thinking holds.
    The world is filled with morons who have wormed their way into lofty positions, but for mercy sake, stop swallowing whatever "data" someone vomits up that tells you "Yep this is a winner" when you KNOW you've been wrong before...again and again.

This is the ESSENCE of failure we're seeing in play and the mindset that insures it continues.

Dang...wincyUt is right--that last sentence DOES make me feel like I'm important. YAY ME!

KAM
    thinkinfinity likes this.
    09-24-15 10:21 AM
    There's no getting over "stupid". It's a stupid name. BlackBerry doesn't need a "stupid" name on their comeback device. They'd be better off calling it the Venice. Or the Steve. Or Attila even. Ok, not Attila. But Priv isn't much better.
    "Comeback Device" You could call this phone "Dung Pile" and it wouldn't make a difference. This phone is ready to be released and like all other phones, Not a single mention of it in the media. No marketing=FAIL, AGAIN!!!!.. At some point BB users need to face a hard truth, This company will never ever make a comeback. It has taken me years to admit this to myself. I was a die hard and never considered a change but, they just cant compete. For everyone who is of the the belief that a BB with android is success then you must have changed your definition of success. RIP BB!!
    09-24-15 10:21 AM
    This phone is ready to be released and like all other phones, Not a single mention of it in the media. No marketing=FAIL, AGAIN!!!!.. At some point BB users need to face a hard truth, This company will never ever make a comeback. It has taken me years to admit this to myself. I was a die hard and never considered a change but, they just cant compete. For everyone who is of the the belief that a BB with android is success then you must have changed your definition of success. RIP BB!!
    Maybe you're still in the "Anger" phase, but until there's an official announcement, don't expect any media coverage, and there has been plenty of mention of it, almost all of it positive (aside from the cynical 'too little too late' type comments)... and I don't know where you're looking i.e. do you expect Dr. Phil and your favourite FM afternoon drive-home radio show to mention it in passing?

No, go make yourself a cocktail and calm down... you may have good reason to repost this in 2 months, but you're a bit... 'priv-mature' here.
    09-24-15 10:26 AM
    Op has a point, when iPad came out people were trashing the name bad.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and MO3iusONE like this.
    09-24-15 10:30 AM
    "Comeback Device" You could call this phone "Dung Pile" and it wouldn't make a difference. This phone is ready to be released and like all other phones, Not a single mention of it in the media. No marketing=FAIL, AGAIN!!!!.. At some point BB users need to face a hard truth, This company will never ever make a comeback. It has taken me years to admit this to myself. I was a die hard and never considered a change but, they just cant compete. For everyone who is of the the belief that a BB with android is success then you must have changed your definition of success. RIP BB!!
    I'm sorry to admit (to myself) that you may be on-target with your assessment.

BB with Android being a success = changing the definition of success.
    Paraphrased for Painful Truth.

KAM
    09-24-15 10:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    True, but they weren't trashing APPLE as a Brand. The iPad wasn't a Hail-Mary last ditch hope, AND Apple had a massive, successful Marketing and PR campaign to move past the name.

KAM
    09-24-15 10:35 AM
    Here are what could be better names for this phone.

Blackberry Propel
    Blackberry Stream
    Blackberry Glide
    Blackberry Priva, Prive, Privado or Privat (even)

Product naming is important especially in rebuilding a brand. This seems like another nail in the coffin. Can the phone itself overcome the hurdle of it's name in the minds of consumers? If you're going for corporate types, will they think BB is out of their minds with this round and just forget them altogether.

I sit next to a corporate telecom guy who is now laughing at a "too little, too late' offering by Blackberry. It's another "Munson"! (see movie "Kingpin)!

I like BB!

Go BB!
    09-24-15 11:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    To those of us who are, or were, trekkers, there was nothing humorous about the name. It felt very much like a wink-and-nudge.
    09-24-15 11:16 AM
    I wonder if the idea of the name is just to get people to talk about it.

I mean, look at the Nintendo Wii. People joked about it when it was released. Tons of FREE press. Comedians joke about it. It STILL sold by the boatload when it came out. Eee PC... sold a lot also. Sucky name.

Even if is called <insert cool name here>. No one would really talk about just another phone. At least with the Priv, you get a joke the goes along with it.

How many people know about the "Passport" by name? They probably know of it as the square BlackBerry phone.
    09-24-15 11:25 AM
    True, but they weren't trashing APPLE as a Brand. The iPad wasn't a Hail-Mary last ditch hope, AND Apple had a massive, successful Marketing and PR campaign to move past the name.

KAM
    And you have never seen or heard of Hail-Marys that worked? It seems obvious that BlackBerry can't do right by you. Like Yogi said "it ain't over until its over".
    09-24-15 11:26 AM
    There's Wii, Ipad, Leap. You can say they were bad names, just opinions. But Priv in many cultures (as noted by British folks here) has a connotation of bathroom and private parts. That's BAD... as in really bad. If I do decide to buy this (also considering Moto X Pure or Blackphone 2), I will never say the model name. I'll just say "I have a blackberry and it runs on Android now".

As for bad publicity is better than no publicity? Ask Subway about that and mention Jared Fogle too.
    09-24-15 11:33 AM
    This is BlackBerry's final stand, might be their final chance to show the world what they have to offer... and they botch the name.

It's more than just a name at this point, everything they do is so vital to their success and maximum marketing potential. Controlled or not, the leaks, the subsequent Youtube videos on POPULAR PRO-Android Youtube channels has all been working in their favor; creating a clamor BlackBerry hasn't seen since the Bold 9900... Then they botch it with a name. This is definitely a misstep but I still think the device will do well.

After releasing the Passport and Classic, I thought they were on their way... guess lightning strikes more than twice with BlackBerry... lol
    09-24-15 11:34 AM
    The problem is that it costs the same to make a good name as to make a bad name... So there's no excuses to have a bad name
    09-24-15 11:36 AM
    The problem is that it costs the same to make a good name as to make a bad name... So there's no excuses to have a bad name
    People talk more about a bad name then good. I rarely heard people talk about buying a phone because it has a good name.
    09-24-15 11:40 AM
    And you have never seen or heard of Hail-Marys that worked? It seems obvious that BlackBerry can't do right by you. Like Yogi said "it ain't over until its over".
    Yes, Hail Mary plays HAVE worked, but for someone who seems so eager to see "data" and "statistics" I wouldn't expect you to put a lot of stock in what is by definition a desperate HOPE, with little (by the odds) chance of success. If you're going by the numbers, the Hail Mary isn't for you.

In terms of something subjective and nebulous like PR--applying "data" is a dangerous game. A business plan and strategy...well, that should involve a bit more than a "Hail Mary." If that IS where Chen is at, and is leading the company, he should be fired today.

Well, I understand that I might seen quite negative towards Blackberry, but I really am not. I'm a stockholder, but even if I wasn't, I hope they do well, and ARE able to turn things around. I just think that they've demonstrated poor decision making, leading to various failures, and nothing I'm seeing is (in my view) going to change that.

I think Chen is good at one thing--cutting costs, which is ok, but that he has very little vision (based on what he actually does), not hope of what might come.

It ISN'T over yet--very true, and even though I think pursuing Android is in itself a failure (or admission of failure, or insuring failure (of BB10), I hope that SOMEHOW it turns around the company. I have absolutely no realistic hope for that, but I'd be pleased if somehow it happened.

However, if it does...well, that still leaves me personally no where. I don't want an android phone--if I did, I'd be using one (I once did, and it sucked), and think it is inferior technology.

BlackBerry ISN'T doing right by me, although I understand they don't care about ME--they care about some theoretical customer who meets some other narrow profile. OR, perhaps this is just an exercise for show--that this "Priv" stuff with Android is simply a lower cost delaying action that they have no real expectation will succeed, but perhaps won't make them bleed too much more.

I see no indication that Chen has any desire to produce, market and support products that I might be interested in. I think he's driving the company into a corner where it will have no where to go, except to slowly wither and die.

To be fair--it was already on that course, but Chen has no real plan to change that, except some nebulous (and perhaps contradictory) plan to be a "software company."

KAM
    09-24-15 11:43 AM
    People talk more about a bad name then good. I rarely heard people talk about buying a phone because it has a good name.
    Every detail matters. Sure the name alone might not be a dealbreaker, but it's something that adds or not the apeal of the device, everything adds up in the end.
    09-24-15 11:54 AM
    09-24-15 11:55 AM
    Every detail matters. Sure the name alone might not be a dealbreaker, but it's something that adds or not the apeal of the device, everything adds up in the end.
    On this, we agree completely. Venice was a tremendous name, given its association with the Renaissance and this phone being an attempt at rebirth for BBRY. Priv is not a name that says anything.
    09-24-15 12:06 PM
    What is the fuss? - It is a PRIV to own a slider.
    09-24-15 05:35 PM
    Priver it is but do I want it??
    09-24-15 06:00 PM
    The device itself is already controversial and giving it a name like that just makes it tenfold worse.
    09-24-15 06:32 PM
    On this, we agree completely. Venice was a tremendous name, given its association with the Renaissance and this phone being an attempt at rebirth for BBRY. Priv is not a name that says anything.
    Well if it's taken to mean "pre" as in "preview" it's very significant and says a lot.

Things to come my friends, things to come.

BlackBerry will be releasing superior products to anything out there aside from samsung in a year's time.

The build quality, speakers, and productivity software are unmatched and we already know it - it's time for the masses to know it too!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 06:59 PM
    I'm sorry but if a device doesn't have an appropriate name, how can they get into the very-serious enterprise market or get warm and fuzzy sentiment from media/tech industry?

Think that Chen's "Priv" can penetrate the enterprise market and sow the seeds of excitement?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:07 PM
    Are you fried??? That name is still ugly...Venice has that ring and smoothness to it...
    09-24-15 07:39 PM
    Yes IMHO it's just a name and if it ever becomes official, get over it. Most average consumers don't care about the names of devices; they care about what the devices can do to improve or enhance their daily lives. In your opinions which name is more offensive iPAD or PRIV? or Wii?

Just curious, are too many people's nerves so frayed in these neck of the woods that it seems like most of us jump to hasty conclusions without verifying what's been put out these days? Since when did Evan Blass @evleaks become the official spokesperson for BlackBerry? Why are we behaving as if BlackBerry has officially told us the name of the slider.

For the record, I will buy this slider regardless on whatever BB names it. Also, I will wait for Sept 25th when the "horse" may divulge some info (if any).
    You clearly need a lesson in marketing and product identity...the name of the product is an ESSENTIAL. Getting a customer to see the benefits of a product and creating the need is tied to its name.

And the current backlash against the name should be raising some red flags for BlackBerry.
    09-24-15 07:54 PM
139 1234 ...