Yes IMHO it's just a name and if it ever becomes official, get over it. Most average consumers don't care about the names of devices; they care about what the devices can do to improve or enhance their daily lives. In your opinions which name is more offensive iPAD or PRIV? or Wii?

Just curious, are too many people's nerves so frayed in these neck of the woods that it seems like most of us jump to hasty conclusions without verifying what's been put out these days? Since when did Evan Blass @evleaks become the official spokesperson for BlackBerry? Why are we behaving as if BlackBerry has officially told us the name of the slider.

For the record, I will buy this slider regardless on whatever BB names it. Also, I will wait for Sept 25th when the "horse" may divulge some info (if any).
    09-24-15 08:29 AM
    There's no getting over "stupid". It's a stupid name. BlackBerry doesn't need a "stupid" name on their comeback device. They'd be better off calling it the Venice. Or the Steve. Or Attila even. Ok, not Attila. But Priv isn't much better.
    earlym, andy957 and kbz1960 like this.
    09-24-15 08:41 AM
    Yes IMHO it's just a name and if it ever becomes official, get over it. Most average consumers don't care about the names of devices; they care about what the devices can do to improve or enhance their daily lives. In your opinions which name is more offensive iPAD or PRIV? or Wii?

Just curious, are too many people's nerves so frayed in these neck of the woods that it seems like most of us jump to hasty conclusions without verifying what's been put out these days? Since when did Evan Blass @evleaks become the official spokesperson for BlackBerry? Why are we behaving as if BlackBerry has officially told us the name of the slider.

For the record, I will buy this slider regardless on whatever BB names it. Also, I will wait for Sept 25th when the "horse" may divulge some info (if any).
    More than ever, BlackBerry needs to be seen as cool. Cool technology, cool people, a cool brand. We need a either a cooler name than this, or at least a neutral name.

This isn't about a device, it is about the public perception of the BlackBerry brand.
    09-24-15 08:42 AM

Yeah it's just a name. BlackBerry is just a name. It is a severely tarnished name, that has hampered them since about 2010. BlackBerry has to have flawless execution and brand rehab, and stupid decisions on "just a name" are what they have done for years, and part of a reason why BlackBerry is synonymous with a lot of negativity.

Posted via Z30
    09-24-15 08:45 AM
    More than ever, BlackBerry needs to be seen as cool. Cool technology, cool people, a cool brand. We need a either a cooler name than this, or at least a neutral name.

This isn't about a device, it is about the public perception of the BlackBerry brand.
    Have ever heard "Bad publicity is way better than no publicity"? Are people, including you and I, not talking?
    09-24-15 08:50 AM
    Yeah it's just a name. BlackBerry is just a name. It is a severely tarnished name, that has hampered them since about 2010. BlackBerry has to have flawless execution and brand rehab, and stupid decisions on "just a name" are what they have done for years, and part of a reason why BlackBerry is synonymous with a lot of negativity.

Posted via Z30
    Tell me, didn't Apple go through this "valley of death" once upon a time? Did you love the name iPad when you first heard it? Isn't a pad something women use for hygiene?
    09-24-15 08:52 AM
    Hello,

Well, yes Nerves ARE that frayed it seems. In another thread Bla1ze was asking why people are going in for conspiracy theories.

Well, it's not that hard to figure out. This is all due to the fact that BlackBerry isn't giving people REAL information, and they're hungry for it. It doesn't matter if this seems unreasonable to you (or me), or whoever. PR is about dealing with what the image IS, not what you wish it were.

BlackBerry is CREATING an environment where even their fans are fed up. So, yes, things like a silly name, explode in a fairly negative way.

What this SHOULD do is wake BlackBerry up to the reality of the depth of their PR problems, and prompt them to do something about it.

This is 2015, people have short fuses and expect information at a moment's notice. Blackberry has allowed itself to wallow (for YEARS in a position where they're considered a joke. It is long past time that BlackBerry accepts that reality and starts to deal with it.

So, yeah, when they (assuming this is true) come out with a ridiculous name for the phone that people are banking on to save the company, people are going to react/overreact.

So, "get over it"...yeah that's great. How about this instead--how about BlackBerry actually addresses their PR problems instead of ineptly careening into more.

This is a REAL problem--not some silly, meaningless stuff. Bad PR has been dragging this company down for YEARS and they're apparently powerless to do anything about it. So, yes, due to that (and other problems) Nerves are way beyond frayed.

KAM
    thinkinfinity likes this.
    09-24-15 08:54 AM

What's stupid about the name PRIV, if your mind is not in the gutter?
    09-24-15 08:57 AM
    Have ever heard "Bad publicity is way better than no publicity"? Are people, including you and I, not talking?
    Maybe, that that only goes so far. Unless it translates to people spending their hard earned money on your product, then no--it really isn't better at all.

Also, keep in mind, we're in a bubble with this stuff. The General public isn't going to key in on this, so the name itself it not the problem. It, as an indicator of BlackBerry's inept handling of PR, is the problem.

KAM
    09-24-15 08:57 AM
    What's stupid about the name PRIV, if your mind is not in the gutter?
    Well, here's what you might not realize...it doesn't matter what you can logically argue about the name, or whether it is silly for people to make fun of it. The fact that people react to it how they have is the problem.

PR and perception aren't about Serious analysis--they're about IMAGE and stupid or not--that's what you've got to address.

KAM
    09-24-15 08:59 AM
    @KAM1138 ........BlackBerry may have PR issues but BlackBerry hasn't not even officially named this slider? The last time I checked, Evan Blass does not represent BlackBerry.

Could you please name one company (Apple, Samsung etc) that divulges their up and coming device infos before they (devices) are officially launched?
    09-24-15 09:07 AM
    You know people can also say... it's just a discussion forum, GET OVER IT.

Are YOUR nerves that frayed that people's nerves are frayed?
    KAM1138 and extisis like this.
    09-24-15 09:09 AM
    In fairness, it is up there with the iPad. Right up the same alley, in some ways quite literally.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys likes this.
    09-24-15 09:10 AM
    @KAM1138 ........BlackBerry may have PR issues but BlackBerry hasn't not even officially named this slider? The last time I checked, Evan Blass does not represent BlackBerry.

Could you please name one company (Apple, Samsung etc) that divulges their up and coming device infos before they (devices) are officially launched?
    Apple, Samsung, HTC, LG, Google, shall I go on? Assuming they are launching the device soon (as in next month), the packaging is most likely all done.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 09:13 AM
    Well, here's what you might not realize...it doesn't matter what you can logically argue about the name, or whether it is silly for people to make fun of it. The fact that people react to it how they have is the problem.

PR and perception aren't about Serious analysis--they're about IMAGE and stupid or not--that's what you've got to address.

KAM
    Tell me, is there a consensus that the name PRIV is stupid? Or are you saying that people on CB are smarter than the BlackBerry who researched the brand name for the slider? Please enlighten me.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    09-24-15 09:16 AM
    Tell me, didn't Apple go through this "valley of death" once upon a time? Did you love the name iPad when you first heard it? Isn't a pad something women use for hygiene?
    Apple didn't release something called an iPad when they were on Death's door. They released it when they could just about do no wrong and had a charismatic CEO that could sell sand in the desert. BlackBerry is nowhere near that position and the CEO isn't anywhere near as charismatic.

Posted via Z30
    09-24-15 09:16 AM
    Apple, Samsung, HTC, LG, Google, shall I go on? Assuming they are launching the device soon (as in next month), the packaging is most likely all done.

Posted via CB10
    And are the packaging shared with the public? Did Apple do it the iPhone 6S?
    09-24-15 09:17 AM
    In fairness, it is up there with the iPad. Right up the same alley, in some ways quite literally.

Posted via CB10
    you just made my day.
    dejanh likes this.
    09-24-15 09:19 AM
    Tell me, is there a consensus that the name PRIV is stupid? Or are you saying that people on CB are smarter than the BlackBerry who researched the brand name for the slider? Please enlighten me.
    Yes, there is quite a strong consensus among people who care about BlackBerry that the name is stupid. And YES, I am saying that people on CB are likely smarter than whoever came up with this name. I'm thinking that a random person off the street could do as well, as these professionals.

I already did "enlighten" you--you're just not willing to accept reality that BlackBerry PR is and has been doing a very poor job, and that this matters, and affects the potential success of the company.

I have nothing against you, so please don't take this personally, but you're position is no more than "they know what they're doing, because they're in a position of authority." Well, sorry--that doesn't hold water, and we have YEARS of example to point to as evidence.

So wake up and accept the reality of the PR/Brand Image position BlackBerry is actually in, or keep your head in the sand, and keep trusting contrary to repeated example and repeated failings.

Bottom line is that nothing we say or don't is likely to change what BlackBerry is doing, so this is really an exercise in futility.

KAM
    09-24-15 09:28 AM
    Jimmies have been rustled.
    09-24-15 09:49 AM
    Yes, there is quite a strong consensus among people who care about BlackBerry that the name is stupid. And YES, I am saying that people on CB are likely smarter than whoever came up with this name. I'm thinking that a random person off the street could do as well, as these professionals.

I already did "enlighten" you--you're just not willing to accept reality that BlackBerry PR is and has been doing a very poor job, and that this matters, and affects the potential success of the company.

I have nothing against you, so please don't take this personally, but you're position is no more than "they know what they're doing, because they're in a position of authority." Well, sorry--that doesn't hold water, and we have YEARS of example to point to as evidence.

So wake up and accept the reality of the PR/Brand Image position BlackBerry is actually in, or keep your head in the sand, and keep trusting contrary to repeated example and repeated failings.

Bottom line is that nothing we say or don't is likely to change what BlackBerry is doing, so this is really an exercise in futility.

KAM
    I take nothing personal here because this just a blog/forum where everyone feels important regardless on what or who they are in real life.

Now, where did you get your statistical data about "people who care about BlackBerry"? Just because people rant and rave on CB does not necessarily mean that they care more about BlackBerry than those who are not on CB, hope you realise that right?

Real smart people base their analysis on verifiable info/data and not on rumours or hear says. Did BlackBerry confirm the brand name of this slider to be "PRIV"? And if yes, have you guys ascertained how the name chosen was arrived at?
    09-24-15 09:57 AM
    ...and don't forget: the people who probably came up with this name don't have near the emotional connection to this as we do. To many BlackBerry employees, they have a job, sure, fine. That doesn't mean they are real fans of the technology and actually care to the same degree that some CrackBerry members do. Frankly they're probably at the end of their rope watching all the handset division staff get the boot, and I wouldn't be surprised if the name "Priv" was developed and decided by people who are now no longer employees of BlackBerry as a final "Eff You!" to their ex employer.

It's THAT bad.

Well, you are absolutely right--this is not official at all. So, obviously, all of these reactions are assuming this ends up being correct.
    However, if you're trying to push farther to claim that leaks are NOT sometimes true (as this one might be), or that other companies don't have leaks, then you've got little ground to stand on.

KAM
    thinkinfinity and wincyUt like this.
    I think the reaction to the name is more about disappointment that BlackBerry is still the same old BlackBerry no matter who the ceo is or how many employees have left.

They were getting a lot of positive press and BlackBerry just can't stand any kind of success so they decided to shoot themselves in the foot.
    It doesn't mean that the slider is going to fail , but it does worry me that they put so little thought into the name. What else have they put little thought into ?

Posted via CB10
    lnichols and thinkinfinity like this.
    09-24-15 10:04 AM
    I take nothing personal here because this just a blog/forum where everyone feels important regardless on what or who they are in real life.

Now, where did you get your statistical data about "people who care about BlackBerry"? Just because people rant and rave on CB does not necessarily mean that they care more about BlackBerry than those who are not on CB, hope you realise that right?

Real smart people base their analysis on verifiable info/data and not on rumours or hear says. Did BlackBerry confirm the brand name of this slider to be "PRIV"? And if yes, have you guys ascertained how the name chosen was arrived at?
    Yeah, you really aren't getting it. If you think that people who frequent a BlackBerry focused forum don't care about BlackBerry, (and I don't believe you do) then you're really just being stubborn. But please--go ahead and dismiss the validity of the CrackBerry community as an indicator of the reaction the name "priv" will get(should that turn out to be accurate).

I'm sorry--but I have to laugh at this talk about "statistical data" and "verifiable data." FACT has very little to do with things like this, and I appreciate your desire to exist in a zone where it does, but sorry--the world sucks that way. Or its simply how it is, and I'm not going to engage in elaborate denial because there's not "verifiable data" to confirm what's right in front of me, plain to see.

BlackBerry is a PR joke, unfairly or not, so you can demand "statistics" all day long, or you can accept the reality that's in front of you. I'm not going to chase your desire to engage in denial of the position BlackBerry is in.

This might come as a surprise to you, but people generally don't make decisions or react to things based on hard reasoning of any kind, so while that nice orderly world you imagine might be pleasant to consider, well...good luck with that.
    RLTurn77 and thinkinfinity like this.
    09-24-15 10:12 AM
139 123 ...