I was forced to buy a new phone last week because my 6S Plus broke again (this time the earpiece is dead) - as Apple had exchanged it twice for other reasons already, they refused to exchange it again and I'll have to send it to the Netherlands for repairs (estimated time is 3-4 weeks, apparently). I went with the Nexus 5X, as that was the cheapest option I could live with for the moment.

So where I'm at now is this:

- won't be buying another iPhone after the experience with the 6S Plus - paid over a grand for it off contract and in the two months I've had it, it has broken 3 times. I'm sure not everyone has an experience like that, but for me, that's it. I'll sell it as soon as it comes back repaired. I'll also be selling the 5X, as I believe in terms of build quality and the fact that it only has 32gb of storage (which can't be expanded), it's not a phone that'll last me 2 years.

- I was initially eyeing the 6P, but I have to say that stock Android isn't for me. Just looks a bit bland, to be honest. Plus, except for the bigger screen, there's no compelling reason to get the 6P if I already have a 5X. Another thing that tells me I shouldn't buy the 6P: the SAR rating is insanely bad for that one. Most people won't care, but I do.

- I've just downloaded Microsoft's new Android app that lets you check whether your apps are also available on Windows Phone. And except for the Netatmo Welcome app, all the stuff I've currently installed is there.

So in the end, it's the Priv or the 950XL for me. The thing is: I'm not a huge Android fan, but the Priv offers enough extras to make me overlook that.

I have used Windows Phone before and always liked the OS - it offers the simplicity and stability of iOS but isn't from Apple and, due to the smaller user base, is more of an individualist's platform, which I like. The 950XL is a power house, supported by a major player. It's also a budding platform (with the universal app framework etc.).

So, what do you think? Anyone about to make the same decision?

I should add that neither the Priv nor the 950XL is available in Switzerland at this time, so I'm in no rush to decide.
    1raygin, lift, Aju and 2 others like this.
    11-22-15 01:51 AM
    Answer the question with a question... what answer would expect asking what phone to buy on a BB board?????
    11-22-15 02:08 AM
    Sounds like you like difficulty. Go with either something BBOS7 or something Nokia Meego. Either sounds equally painful.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-15 02:15 AM
    An iPhone user asking about Android and Windows phone on a BlackBerry forum

Why not track down a Z30 and be happy?
    Scovik likes this.
    11-22-15 02:27 AM
    Answer the question with a question... what answer would expect asking what phone to buy on a BB board?????
    As far as I can tell, a lot of people here aren't sure whether Android is right for them or not and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking about switching to WP instead.
    11-22-15 02:28 AM
    Sounds like you like difficulty. Go with either something BBOS7 or something Nokia Meego. Either sounds equally painful.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure I follow. If I liked difficulty, I'd be on Android already.
    tix6174, lift and AllanQuatermain like this.
    11-22-15 02:29 AM
    I can't see myself dropping money for a premium device on an uncertain platform that devs don't see all that enthusiastic to support. While some apps may exist on windows, not all the features seen on iOS and Android is supported on windows phone. I have a lumia 1020 and sometimes I wish there was an option to turn off the animations as over time I got tired of seeing them. I don't like the way list of applications are displayed or the notification tray. I'm not sure the whole magazine or newspaper appearance on its apps with all the horizontal scrolling is necessarily efficient for navigation within an app. Tapping is much easier and the way iOS and android apps are designed is that you can see the sections of the app without so much horizontal scrolling. Yes windows phone looks cool and different with high contrast and big fonts here and there but in terms of the way things work, I'm not quite satisfied with it.
    zipro and John Doe99 like this.
    11-22-15 03:15 AM
    Another thing to consider is that many of the Windows Phone apps have not been updated for a long time or may lack features found in the iOS and Android versions.
    webber27 and JRF_1986 like this.
    11-22-15 03:32 AM
    Another thing to consider is that many of the Windows Phone apps have not been updated for a long time or may lack features found in the iOS and Android versions.
    And as a consequence might not actually work on Windows 10
    11-22-15 03:42 AM
    I can't see myself dropping money for a premium device on an uncertain platform that devs don't see all that enthusiastic to support. While some apps may exist on windows, not all the features seen on iOS and Android is supported on windows phone. I have a lumia 1020 and sometimes I wish there was an option to turn off the animations as over time I got tired of seeing them. I don't like the way list of applications are displayed or the notification tray. I'm not sure the whole magazine or newspaper appearance on its apps with all the horizontal scrolling is necessarily efficient for navigation within an app. Tapping is much easier and the way iOS and android apps are designed is that you can see the sections of the app without so much horizontal scrolling. Yes windows phone looks cool and different with high contrast and big fonts here and there but in terms of the way things work, I'm not quite satisfied with it.
    There's no doubt about it that the app situation is way worse on Windows Phone 10. What's new now is that with the universal app framework, developers have an incentive to bring more apps to the platform as they 'only' have to develop for Windows 10 and have their apps run on the phone automatically as well.

Coming from a Passport, I'm used to not having all apps available I guess :-/
    11-22-15 03:44 AM
    Without any doubt you should buy Priv. I'm in Windows 10 insider program and to tell you the truth, Windows 10 for phones is so far from finished product. I will not start with app gap problem, but will just stay on Windows itself. Right now its a such a mess. Its not working OK, Continuum is limited only to few MS apps, and those apps are not polished. MS is adding and pulling functionality from build to build so no one knows what will be in final build. Its a mess. They rushed with Windows for desktop at least 6 months before they should, and mobile variant is even more unbalanced.

Posted via CB10
    36dbldz and JRF_1986 like this.
    11-22-15 04:03 AM
    OP�s best option is to just keep the iPhone when it comes back repaired. Forget about Windows Phone.
    zipro and Ernest Xiang like this.
    11-22-15 05:35 AM
    I was forced to buy a new phone last week because my 6S Plus broke again (this time the earpiece is dead) - as Apple had exchanged it twice for other reasons already, they refused to exchange it again and I'll have to send it to the Netherlands for repairs (estimated time is 3-4 weeks, apparently). I went with the Nexus 5X, as that was the cheapest option I could live with for the moment.

So where I'm at now is this:

- won't be buying another iPhone after the experience with the 6S Plus - paid over a grand for it off contract and in the two months I've had it, it has broken 3 times. I'm sure not everyone has an experience like that, but for me, that's it. I'll sell it as soon as it comes back repaired. I'll also be selling the 5X, as I believe in terms of build quality and the fact that it only has 32gb of storage (which can't be expanded), it's not a phone that'll last me 2 years.

- I was initially eyeing the 6P, but I have to say that stock Android isn't for me. Just looks a bit bland, to be honest. Plus, except for the bigger screen, there's no compelling reason to get the 6P if I already have a 5X. Another thing that tells me I shouldn't buy the 6P: the SAR rating is insanely bad for that one. Most people won't care, but I do.

- I've just downloaded Microsoft's new Android app that lets you check whether your apps are also available on Windows Phone. And except for the Netatmo Welcome app, all the stuff I've currently installed is there.

So in the end, it's the Priv or the 950XL for me. The thing is: I'm not a huge Android fan, but the Priv offers enough extras to make me overlook that.

I have used Windows Phone before and always liked the OS - it offers the simplicity and stability of iOS but isn't from Apple and, due to the smaller user base, is more of an individualist's platform, which I like. The 950XL is a power house, supported by a major player. It's also a budding platform (with the universal app framework etc.).

I should add that neither the Priv nor the 950XL is available in Switzerland at this time, so I'm in no rush to decide.
    I had one Lumia experience - it was the 920. I really liked everything on the surface. The design of the phone, the UI, etc... but I did not like how the phone would get really hot doing simple things - like running a stopwatch app! The media player in the web browser sucked for watching videos - slider only moved in increments. So if you wanted to fast forward a video to 13min, maybe you could only hit 10mins, then you'd have to wait 3 mins. I also felt like the call quality was the worst ever - speakerphone was TERRIBLE and I was shocked that when using headphones, only one side (forget if it was left or right) would work! The deal breaker came when I ran into a situation that could have been easily resolved with an SD card...of which the Lumia did not have.

I also felt like the Windows phone UI was a novelty. I was totally addicted to it at first (with sizing and moving around my tiles)...but it got old really fast. I walked away feeling a bit ripped off - like they put effort into making it look nice, but under the hood was a POS. I mean, come on - how can you only play a phone call through ONE ear when wearing headphones!!!! There were just to many shortcuts with that phone. There were a lot of cheapy things that you could not possibly know until you used the actual device.

Of course, you're talking about a different phone...the 950. Who knows? Maybe that's the best phone in history. All I can say is that my previous experience left me a bit jaded. My Lumia experience was so bad... I ran back to my Q10, which besides a small screen, destroyed the Lumia in every way regarding performance.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    zipro likes this.
    11-22-15 05:57 AM
    Without any doubt you should buy Priv. I'm in Windows 10 insider program and to tell you the truth, Windows 10 for phones is so far from finished product. I will not start with app gap problem, but will just stay on Windows itself. Right now its a such a mess. Its not working OK, Continuum is limited only to few MS apps, and those apps are not polished. MS is adding and pulling functionality from build to build so no one knows what will be in final build. Its a mess. They rushed with Windows for desktop at least 6 months before they should, and mobile variant is even more unbalanced.
    Thank you, that's information I needed. I've never warmed to Windows on the desktop, been a Mac user for the last 20 years. Not because I like Apple particularly (actually, I have the feeling that most products they've come up with in the last 3 years are pretty crappy) but because Mac OS X just offers a more polished experience. Plus the trackpads on Windows laptops tend to be awful
    11-22-15 06:14 AM
    Btw: my biggest concern about the Priv is that I've read several reports and reviews on which it's mentioned that it has sub-par reception. I live in rural area with very low 4G signal strength
    11-22-15 06:15 AM
    Yes.

I had a Samsung Galaxy S3, which Samsung upgraded right into the ground about 18 months ago. I was furious that I spent that kind of money on something that Samsung ruined with an Android upgrade, then refused to acknowledge.

Even though it was about 18 months old at the time, I took it back to Costco. I had every receipt, every piece of paper, every box that I brought it home with--and they gave me my money back like I asked. Good. I then went and bought, of all things, a very inexpensive Nokia Lumia 635 Windows Phone 8.1. I was intrigued, and saw this as an excuse to play and experiment.

Here it is almost 18 months later, and I still have that phone and use it daily. So clearly Windows Mobile has my attention.

But I've always had a soft spot for the Blackberries I used over the years. For what I do day to day, in the corporate enterprise, they were superb units. I didn't care about apps, really, and still don't all that much. What I always loved was the physical keyboard. Screen keyboards suck. And now the Priv is out.

I would love to move to a flagship phone, for no real good reason other than I want to. And it's between Priv and 950XL.

I'm worried about app availability, though. I also like that Priv will integrate nicely with my Google Apps for Enterprise, and that I can customize the screen keyboard if I so choose. 950XL, I'm stuck with the screen keyboard no matter what, and I'm stuck with THEIR screen keyboard. While I haven't seen the one on 950XL, the one on my 635 is REALLY lacking.

I'm trying to figure it all out. Frankly, all of this may drive me to a plain Android phone like Moto X Pure for half the price...
    11-22-15 06:16 AM
    Yes.

I had a Samsung Galaxy S3, which Samsung upgraded right into the ground about 18 months ago. I was furious that I spent that kind of money on something that Samsung ruined with an Android upgrade, then refused to acknowledge.

Even though it was about 18 months old at the time, I took it back to Costco. I had every receipt, every piece of paper, every box that I brought it home with--and they gave me my money back like I asked. Good. I then went and bought, of all things, a very inexpensive Nokia Lumia 635 Windows Phone 8.1. I was intrigued, and saw this as an excuse to play and experiment.

Here it is almost 18 months later, and I still have that phone and use it daily. So clearly Windows Mobile has my attention.

But I've always had a soft spot for the Blackberries I used over the years. For what I do day to day, in the corporate enterprise, they were superb units. I didn't care about apps, really, and still don't all that much. What I always loved was the physical keyboard. Screen keyboards suck. And now the Priv is out.

I would love to move to a flagship phone, for no real good reason other than I want to. And it's between Priv and 950XL.

I'm worried about app availability, though. I also like that Priv will integrate nicely with my Google Apps for Enterprise, and that I can customize the screen keyboard if I so choose. 950XL, I'm stuck with the screen keyboard no matter what, and I'm stuck with THEIR screen keyboard. While I haven't seen the one on 950XL, the one on my 635 is REALLY lacking.

I'm trying to figure it all out. Frankly, all of this may drive me to a plain Android phone like Moto X Pure for half the price...
    Or get the Nexus 5X - if you like stock android, I'd go for that one. It's a pretty good phone
    11-22-15 06:18 AM
    Thank you, that's information I needed. I've never warmed to Windows on the desktop, been a Mac user for the last 20 years. Not because I like Apple particularly (actually, I have the feeling that most products they've come up with in the last 3 years are pretty crappy) but because Mac OS X just offers a more polished experience. Plus the trackpads on Windows laptops tend to be awful
    Agreed with ALL of that 100%, especially the trackpad thing. I hate trackpads, except for Macs--those are things of beauty.

Mac user here for the last 28 years, but never got into the iOS thing.
    11-22-15 06:20 AM
    Or get the Nexus 5X - if you like stock android, I'd go for that one. It's a pretty good phone
    I love the Nexus line, but a dealbreaker for me is lack of SD card slot. Sorry, Google, I'm not playing your cloud games. Plus, the 5X maxes out at 32GB--so without expandable storage, it's automatically very limited.
    kertong and John Doe99 like this.
    11-22-15 06:28 AM

Be careful with what this app tells you. Yes, it will tell you that an android app might also be available for Window's Phone, but it won't tell you that the Window's app hasn't been updated by the developer in a while (and probably never will) while the android app has received many fixes/enhancements in the mean time and will continue to receive updates in the future.

Devs are walking away from MS app ecosystem in the same way BB 10 devs have walked away from BB10. Granted, MS managed (in the past) to get devs to make many popular apps for Window's phone, but since MS market share hasn't moved up to any significant levels, devs had no financial incentive to spend resources into updating those MS apps. Those devs would rather focus on the 95% of the market (Android/iOS). And now that MS phone sales have just been reduced in half (of the already small sales to begin with), more devs will abandon the MS apps they created.

If you want apps, MS isn't a solution anymore, this narrows down your choice to the Priv.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-22-15 06:54 AM
    My first choice would be Z30 and then 950.
    11-22-15 07:06 AM
    Keep your iPhone and wait for the Vienna coming next year looks like could be a nice device .
    11-22-15 07:41 AM
    I love the Nexus line, but a dealbreaker for me is lack of SD card slot. Sorry, Google, I'm not playing your cloud games. Plus, the 5X maxes out at 32GB--so without expandable storage, it's automatically very limited.
    That's the main reason why I don't want to keep it once the iPhone's back
    11-22-15 07:54 AM
    Windows phone, except for Continuum offers nothing new plus the app gap problem isn't going away anytime soon. In fact it may never go away since market share is going down, not up right now. It suffers from the same problems as BB10 so I wouldn't touch that OS with a 10 foot pole for that reason alone.

I also agree with you on stock Android. It is plain and uninspiring. You only have two choices for quality hardware and a unique Android experience IMO and that's either the Priv or the Samsung S6 Edge Plus, but then you lose expandable storage and the PKB with Samsung and it costs more than the Priv.

I don't know what the SAR rating is on either, but that could be the deciding factor for you.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Priv
    Last edited by Gadget Fann; 11-22-15 at 08:16 AM.
    11-22-15 08:00 AM
    LOL, I actually like WinPhone, and use a Lumia as my daily driver, but I wouldn't recommend it *today*. The App situation isn't great, and these days the ecosystem is everything.

Tomorrow, with WinPhone10, things might be different.

I have a similar decision to you. My head says iPhone (for the Apps), my heart says WinPhone (for the funky UI). I plan to wait 6 months to give WP10 a chance to establish itself, then decide.

I don't like Android, but if I did, I'm not sure I'd buy a Priv unless the PKB was the overarching reason for choosing it. There are many, arguably better, certainly cheaper, Android handsets out there if I wanted to go Android.

But, your money, your choice.
    zipro likes this.
    11-22-15 08:02 AM
77 123 ...